Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I love bento lunch!!! I have a couple bento boxes and I have some containers that are divided. Hard boiled eggs, hummus, veggies, and some fruit are the normal items I usually put in my bento box, or sliced turkey, cheese, and crackers with some berries is a favorite of mine.
  • craftylatvian
    Options
    Muhahahahaaaa.... My plan for Bento work domination is working.....

Excellent. Excellent.

LOL!!! :)
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ebc7zu1ne9no.jpg

So my first sad attempt at packing sad looking a love wife lunch. I need to spend more time reading over the basics and prepping them better. My husband has a fridge at work to use, but I want to start being able to have him not have to use it. I used last nights leftovers- Arroz Congri (Cuban beans and rice) with cheese on bottom, and pears, carrots, and peanut butter oreos on the top.
    ETA: Sorry trying to make the image smaller.

• SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    @hanamidango I don't think it's sad at all! I love Arroz Congri, and your box looks tasty, I'll bet your husband loves it!
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I'm currently sitting here slightly hungover after a massive dinner last night (Note: it was worth it). But now I'm sitting here having some yoghurt knowing that I have a bought salad for lunch in my fridge instead of my Bento and I'm sad :'( No matter how much I pre-prepare, I'm not making my lunch at 1am when I have to be up 5.5 hours later.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    @hanamidango I agree, I would totes eat that! My first attempt wasn't especially pretty either, since I don't have any molds or cutters to make it so, but I'm considering getting some.
  • halliesheck
    halliesheck Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Because of this topic I have seen the Bento light and am now a believer in The Box! Thank you all for the inspiration. I've never posted a photo on the forums before so I apologize if it's all messed up. I look forward to figuring out how to improve my Bento Game, but in the meantime I love how it provides variety and portion control (and cuteness; bonus). This first bento of mine is pretty simple and worked out to about 345 calories: basic salad with some red quinoa and dressing, plus some potstickers and soy sauce, and finally half a navel orange.

2zi5zdj.jpg
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    @hanamidango I don't think it's a sad attempt at all. Was it tasty? Was the box empty at the end of the day? Did your hubby say it wasn't enough? If your answers were yes, yes, no, then it's a success :) Packing 'pretty' just comes with practice.
    Because of this topic I have seen the Bento light and am now a believer in The Box! Thank you all for the inspiration. I've never posted a photo on the forums before so I apologize if it's all messed up. I look forward to figuring out how to improve my Bento Game, but in the meantime I love how it provides variety and portion control (and cuteness; bonus). This first bento of mine is pretty simple and worked out to about 345 calories: basic salad with some red quinoa and dressing, plus some potstickers and soy sauce, and finally half a navel orange.

2zi5zdj.jpg

looks yum to me. Love the sauce pots!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    Haha, I bought some of these for my next box:

51Os812lugL.jpg
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Just found this thread. LOVE Bento boxes but I don't make them myself. Mainly because my meal frequency is quite low and therefore my meal sizes are quite large i.e. it would more likely be a bento salad bowl full :stuck_out_tongue:

Off to Japan in a few weeks though and plenty of bento boxes will be consumed (amongst many other delicious foods :smile: )
  • christiec2015
    Options
    Your lunch looks so tasty/neat/cute!! How about making a nice pasta salad to put in one of them?
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    @chrisdavey there are certainly days i could eat a salad bowl sized bento! I should have a bento to post tomorrow, none today :'(
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    My new (bigger) bento boxes came yesterday! ^_^ They have been washed, dried, and put away (yes, I'm one of those OCD people that washes brand new dishes before using them) so I will probably pack them this weekend for next week. I'll post a picture of today's bento later - it has the heart-shaped egg! :3
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Been lurking on this thread, until someone mentioned the monbento sale a few pages back- boom, I have a cute bright little Bento box coming my way! (the special Brasil one) It's going to make me so much happier than my sad old cool-whip containers, lol.

You guys are so awesome for all the great pictures!
  • halliesheck
    halliesheck Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Been lurking on this thread, until someone mentioned the monbento sale a few pages back- boom, I have a cute bright little Bento box coming my way! (the special Brasil one) It's going to make me so much happier than my sad old cool-whip containers, lol.

It's fascinating how just a container can make a difference. There's something to be said for looking at the aesthetic angle when putting together a meal, sorta drummed up another level of conscientiousness for me (like when I started counting calories, then weighing food, and being more aware of what I eat in general). Here is my second go at bento'ing, rather pedestrian I know. I like the colors at least. Can't wait for you guys to post some more, I need the bentspo!

i6gmde.jpg

• HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    @SpecialKitty7‌ @SnuggleSmacks @mangrothian Thanks ^_^ The reason I say it is sad is more to do with the longevity of the box. I want to be able to make bentos for longer commutes. I am going to get some smaller cups, and cutters. The cutters are for my kids, anything to get them to eat more veggies! And mangrothian it was enough food for him, plus cookies and some cereal. He is one of those types who can eat a ton. Again, thank you all ^_^

@chrisdavey Hoping you will share some of those photos of your bentos on your trip over to Japan!

@PixieGoddess I don't think washing your new dishes is OCD since most things say wash before first use.

It is really cool to see so many people's lunches!
  • satansees
    satansees Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I might of bought a monbento too... It didn't make it onto the birthday list. And some super cute leaf baran!
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    I don't know if i should apologize for the link to the sale or ask monbento for a commission ;) mine should be here soon, can't wait to try out the new ones! I have two more bento boxes that i haven't tried yet, one is kind of snack sized, and the other is taxing my packing skills, haven't quite figured out how to use it yet.
  • craftylatvian
    Options
    My bento lunch:
    Chickpea cilantro lime salad
    Shrimp
    Clementine
    thoyw1mh87vy.jpg
    gy8ngpiedx87.jpg
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    I decided to do an Asian box for dinner today after researching some recipes and doing a bit of shopping. I found this bento at a discount store for a few bucks! It's very small, but I managed to pack in around 500 calories. I'm afraid that the veggies are all cooked, so it didn't end up as bright and colorful as it could be.

Red wine vinegar chicken, jade rice on a bed of gingered sweet potato, miso eggplant, soy sauce egg, roasted miso broccoli.

The box clips together and came with a little bag, but the chopsticks that were supposed to be there weren't. That's ok. For $5 I think it was a steal!

10968534_954686507877322_3887187168504086188_n.jpg?oh=d7df2906c05636a10d111c57c469e96c&oe=55243412

10527676_954686544543985_233474016656898474_n.jpg?oh=786065a2b99332aa320b1525fb506cb5&oe=555A88D3&__gda__=1431936328_3ee4ab3ac59bead322e2e7cbc42e3414