WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2105

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    MMinMD wrote: »
    All-
    How do I "join" this group so it shows up on my home page without having to search around for it?
    Thanks!

This isn't a group so the way to find us again is to click on the open star at the top of the page so it turns yellow. That bookmarks it, then you find us again by clicking the gray star on the far right and it will show up and show you how many posts since the last time you were here. Click on the name of the thread and you'll find us again.

<3<3 Barbie from NW Washington

• suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Alright, alright, alright! Now it’s time to get serious about goals. I worked on them this morning and decided on six. Then I decided to choose three to concentrate on in February.
    Heather – have a wonderful holiday. Hope you back holds up for you.
    Sally – loved the video, made me tired just watching her. I did walk in place while I watched it!
    SueBDew – TX

February Goals:
    1. Drink at least 6 cups of water a day. This has been hard for me this winter but I will do it
    2. Eat at least 5 fruits/veggies a day. This is something I must do!
    3. Begin strength training. Do 2x a week.`

February word: Choices (Thanks Joyce!)
  • Spedangie
    Spedangie Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My goal for 2015 is to get serious about what I eat. I know chapter and verse about most aspects of "good" nutrition. Frequently I ignore what I know! I have been physically active for many years--I ride a bicycle 20-30 miles, 4 or more times weekly in the spring, summer and fall. I am at the gym at least 5 days a week, and do aerobic activities for 70-90 minutes at a pretty fair intensity. My problem is that I convince myself that all this activity will allow me to eat, well, whatever I want. That philosophy has added 30 pounds to my 69 year old body!
    So this is the year (before I turn 70 next January) I hope to pay strict attention to what is going in my eager mouth. I am finding that MFP is very helpful. When I know that I am going to go home and list that bag of chips (even if it was a small one, I can see those calories add up!), or those 3 (or 4) cookies someone left in the team lounge, or those three handfuls of popcorn they had in the office, or what the heck, have a candy bar, I just worked out for 90 minutes-I actually think twice about whether I really should be eating that.
    When I am actually listing each and everything that goes past the lips, past the gums, lookout stomach here it comes--I find it so much easier just to put it down and leave it alone. In the past three weeks, with the use of listing EVERYTHING, I am getting a much clearer picture of why those pounds have crept up on me. I am passing on so many of the casual eating bits and bites that I have indulged in for so long.
    My husband and I are planning a trip to Arkansas in early June to canoe and kayak and do some hiking. My immediate goal is to be 15 pounds lighter by then.
    So I'm substituting oranges, apples and grapes for Reeses Minis and corn chips. I'm having smaller portions and measuring them. I'm being faithful in working out with weights at least two times weekly, instead of my hit and miss sessions with them.
    I am already finding that I can live without a sweet treat after leaving the gym. The apple on the way home will be just fine thank you.
    I am eating more raw veggies (mostly at lunch) than I ever have, and leaving out the chips and candy. I've lost about 3 pounds since January 1st, so it's a good start.
    I already knew that even with my extra body weight I was pretty physically fit. Now I want to be physically fit AND not overweight.
    My mantra is "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF A DETERMINED WOMAN"--and right now I am determined!!
  • deb4123
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Happy February! We’ll be wishing George Washington and Abraham Lincoln Happy birthday this month here in the USA. We used to note each birthday separately and go forth to work or school. They combined the birthdays and made them into a national holiday to be observed on a Monday. Medical and retail businesses do not close for the day. :ohwell:

Here are my “new” goals. :bigsmile: They are familiar friends that have proven their worth to me by helping me improve my health. I use these goals month after month because they address what I really need to do.

February Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

30881843.png

• SuzyH
    SuzyH Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Barbie - Thanks for the specific instructions on how to find my favorites quickly! I get it now!

You have all motivated me. In fact, I was wanting to eat some not-so-good things and came to the board to see what you all had to say!

My goals for this month are:
    1. Log everything!
    2. Pray and be mindful about my food, especially when confronted with temptations
    3. Work out 6 times per week
    4. Drink at least 64 oz of water each day.

I've been on this road before and know I can do it, which I guess actually makes it worse... but I too, am DETERMINED! Let's do it! :smile:
  • deb4123
    Options
    I have the same problems as you. I do walk 2 3 hrs with dog. Lost 23 lbs. But starting to creep up. My husband been in the hospital with heart failure. Hard to eat their. joined a walking club. Being lazy doing taxes, not motivated. I'm from Portland Or. Water is my down fall. Just don't drink it. I know I should. Don't drink. Guess on my chart adding up my food. Husband did loss 24 pounds, but some times he brings junk food home. Try to resist. But Can't. Even start looking for it. Just need to get motivated again. Thanks. Deb
  • MMinMD
    MMinMD Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips Barbie et al. Got it!
  • hoff2002
    hoff2002 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Happy February everyone! I haven't posted in a while and I have been so far behind...seriously I was on page 30 and there were 54 pages on last month, plus two this month! Lots of reading, but I finally caught up.

Barbie: Thanks, as always, for posting the new thread!

Rori: Thanks for arranging our luncheon in Colorado! I really enjoyed meeting both you and Laura! I hope your tennis elbow is doing better and that you are enjoying your Zumba class. Thank you for the Yoga video. I hope to try it soon! The magnet has been put on my refrigerator as a constant reminder. Thanks again for everything and for being so hospitable! It was so nice to meet a couple of fellow MFP community members!

To all those new to this community, "Welcome" we are so glad to have you aboard!

My hubby and I had a wonderful visit with my DD#1 & DSIL in Colorado. We absolutely enjoyed our 2 year old grandson and his newborn sister. Our DD#2 recently moved to Colorado and is living with them for a while, so we got to spend lots of time with all of them. While in Colorado, I got to walk on some of the trails there. They have so many wonderful areas to walk! I'm really impressed with their city's commitment to healthy living. I was really excited that I didn't go over my caloric intake even once during our visit and I cooked for them every day. We even brought donuts and king cakes from our local bakeries here. I think I owe all of you thanks for your help. I have NEVER been that disciplined before! Not Ever! I had been on a plateau for a while and upon returning, I have finally dropped a few pounds! So there is only one problem upon our return. I got rid of everything that could spoil in the refrigerator before we left and I have absolutely nothing to eat! LOL! I see a visit to the grocery store in my future...after the rain stops!

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

Barb from South Louisiana
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Happy February and Go Hawks!!!!!

I had a wonderful visit with my granddaughters last weekend and I am enjoying a casual weekend at home today. Bodi is being a cuddle boy and Ritter is being Ritter.

Have a great day all.

Robin, Bodi and Ritter
    PNW
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,663 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day:
    Spin- 2hrs 10min, 83ar 121aw 11-17g 53.3mi
    = 1078calories
  • jsadek1954
    jsadek1954 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Jean from Wayne NJ. I bought a fitbit and I'm trying to keep on track. Its difficult at times. I started around Christmas which wasn't a good idea. I'm back and trying my hardest to lose weight. I'm a bank teller and don't get in to many steps during work.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,774 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbie for the new thread!

Last month's goals ... pretty much a failure. I have been eating like there's no tomorrow and my jeans are starting to do more than pinch. This will not do! So, I washed my jeans to make sure they were snug fitting and I'm wearing them to remind me to stay the course.

This month my goals are:

To lose 6 pounds. This is doable as I know that there are 3 or 4 pounds that are recent regains that will come off fast.

I will log everything. Have closed my dairy so that I do this without fear of censure or embarrassment ... this is in my head and not anything I've actually experienced.

I will drink 8 glasses of water.

I will get at the very minimum 10 minutes of intentional exercise every day. Have to start somewhere again and this is the biggest cause of my weight regain.

Sally ... loved the video.

The microwaved cat story continues to make me laugh ... I think I would have passed on a farewell kiss as well!

Welcome to the new ladies!

Beth in Western New York ... where nasty weather is anticipated for tonight and tomorrow ... again.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,663 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the new thread, always forget to thank u Barbie. I started February off right without trying to, there just so happened to b a long spin class today. They opened it up early just for the class attendees then closed it up and reopened it up at the usual 9am, I thought that was very cool.

To all the newcomers. Take it one day at a time, every day u challenge yourself will b your day of success.

To all the maintainers like myself. Keep on keepin on. Don't forget, when u slack off, it will creep back up on u before u know it.

Pip from tacoma wa, by seattle
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,650 Member
    Options
    Thought I would catch up and chat a bit..but working as a waitress for a superbowl party can’t be late… so here is my catch up and I’ll try to chat between the party and Downton… this is a good reminder to be mindful when I am serving all those wonderful munchies today.

Lesley – so glad Mildred is doing ok enough to visit the sea and make a friend…

Rori – great to hear you are caught up in posts and caught up in non-virtual life with other MFPers!!!

Joyce – 1 Million a month???? What I could do with that… I could live on a months for years….

Sharon – hope all works out for DS and DGD!

Viv – I would trade your weather for mine!!! We need the rain so so bad. Hope you get some clutter uncluttered!!!

Heather - Happy Adventure!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have a great time.

Brenda – I love that you eased into this… I eased in too

Karen – ok you pulled me up short – a “balmy 23F” I whined to my Levi about us walking at 39F this morning.. Like you we did it this am too….

Katla – I love how great the horse back riding is going… not my thing, but I think it is so cool you are learning.

Barbie – I am so thankful I am able 95% of the time to be a moderator and don’t have to eliminate things; but I am always amazed at your resolve and follow through.

Meg – glad you are having some pain free days, and that the compression is working… Yeah Chipotle does advertize that they are “healthy” and what they really mean is they are non-gmo and everything is high fiber… guess you have to define healthy… Hope your party goes well and that you get to see the grandbaby

Michele – the Praying mantis is cute!!! I do think some bright cheery colors could be fun… is there metallic paints available? 100oz of water - ok If I did that I would live in the bathroom!!

Susanrae and other newbies – welcome

January goals: I"ll update these soon!!
    Walk every day
    Log all bites everyday
    Do a fun thing every week.

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • Twhitehead7
    Twhitehead7 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Tara.........In the recipe swap group for Jan. there was a thread for free exercise workouts online; mostly on youtube.......hope that helps.
    yanniejannie
    Thanks so much. How do I access that thread?
  • Twhitehead7
    Twhitehead7 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Sorry, Tara! I just read your post more closely and you said no walking! My bad!!
    No problem! Soon as this batch of weather clears. I'll try it? Thanks!
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,068 Member
    Options
    Barbie: Thanks for keeping us going month after month. Which of the beautiful new hats will you be wearing today? You are so gifted.

I'm up to my elbows in cabinets, sandpaper and paint. Got the mad urge to refinish my bathroom cabinets. Good thing is it's keeping my hands so busy I can't mindlessly snack.
    Gotta get back to it.

I'll be back with Feb goals soon. Stay well. We can do this!

Rori
    Colorado Foothills
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Dinner in the oven.......quick stop by.

Sassy and Barb.......Great to see you both back!!!

Tara......At the top of this page you will see a listing for groups.......click on it.......on the right side of the page that comes up see "popular groups"........recipe swap is one of these....click on the words "recipe swap" and the workout thread is third from the bottom. There should be enough mentioned on there that you can find something to meet your expectations and needs. Good luck!!!

Hunger is not an emergency.
    Determined.
    yanniejannie..........go Hawks!
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I seem to remember Allison was into herons. I saw this picture of a heron in local lagoon. The photographer is Doug Clement. Give him a lot of credit for taking awesome pictures.

spys152ltcr2.jpg

Enjoy!
    Renny
  • celticred48
    Options
    Been sick with thyroid problems and then shingles, feeling really low but determined to lose weight from 165lbs to 150 by the beginning of May when I fly back to the UK to see my two daughters (I'm currently living in Ecuador). Feeling low = loss of energy or enthusiasm to exercise, any suggestions as to how I can kickstart myself into feeling a little more energetic, any help would be so appreciated