Almond Milk vs. Skim Milk

Options
After doing a little research on the nutritional values of Almond Milk vs. Skim Milk, I have found that while Skim Milk is fat free, it still has more calories, more, carbs, more sodium, and more sugar that Almond Milk. Aside from the obvious, that Almond Milk can be better tolerable than Skim Milk for people that have allergies, etc., which is really better for us??

I would like to know more about this topic. Thanks.

Replies

• rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    Skim milk also has protein, almond milk has nearly none (one gram per cup IIRC). So it isn't that one is better nutritionally, but rather what is better for your personal goals? Not all people count carbs, sodium or sugar, and some people think the extra 50 or so calories are worth it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    skim milk tastes like barely flavored water.
    If I'm drinking cow milk- I'm drinking 2% or higher.
    -
    Being said- I use/drink unsweetened vanilla almond milk... it has fewer calories and actually tastes like something. Also. Being said- I don't drink it straight- I drink it w/ protein or add it to shakes- or make hot chocolate.

mmmhmmm hot chocolate. That sounds good right now.

• Just115Pounds
    Just115Pounds Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I drink Silk's Unsweetened/Unflavored Soy Milk. It tastes pretty good (gotta get used to the taste change in my coffee, though) and it is definitely healthier in means of calories. When I compared my old milk (Reduced Fat, Lactose Free) to Silk, it had 100s of more calories and definitely more fat. The only difference is I was loosing 1g of protein, which was minor. I can definitely deal with that loss of a gram.
  • Pelamblue
    Pelamblue Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I have 'alpro unsweetened almond milk ' with my porridge in the morning, just because I think it's delicious. It's all personal preference. Unless your drinking gallons of one or the other I don't think that it makes much difference
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    almond milk doesnt have protien, so you'll have to get that somewhere else. It does have more calcium (the silk brand, anyway) and makes it easier for me to meet my calcium goals.

I get my protien elsewhere. The taste is superb in coffee/cereal, I prefer the lightly sweetened, or "touch of honey" varieties.

If I was lactose intolerant/vegan, I'd choose plain soymilk for a milk sub that is more nutritionally complete.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I prefer skim milk (although I don't drink a lot of milk itself--I like dairy in general), because it has protein. Also, I believe a lot of the stuff in the almond milk is from fortification, which makes it basically just like taking a vitamin.

IMO, almond milk is nice for people who are vegans, lactose intolerant, or who don't like milk. But for me real milk is superior.

I also like 2% or full fat dairy often also--the idea that lower calories or lower fat is always healthier is just wrong. Having more fat in your diet (depending on the overall numbers) can be a positive. I know when I have oatmeal I often have to add some nuts or the like to my breakfast since I do better with a breakfast that is not low fat. Some regular milk would work for that purpose too.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Raw milk. All the milk goodness plus all the beneficial bacteria that gets killed during the pasteurization process.
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    skim milk tastes like barely flavored water.
    If I'm drinking cow milk- I'm drinking 2% or higher.

I actually think skim milk tastes better than almond milk. I drink unsweetened vanilla almond milk and the like because I am very prone to sinus infections. I do love cow's milk though, it stinks.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I love the taste of almond milk, but it won't help my protein goal. My favorite is light soy milk, with all the protein and less calories than cow milk, but sadly, it's obscenely expensive around here. So back to skim milk I went.... Cheers!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    donamari7 wrote: »
    which is really better for us??
    Just pick the one you like and move on.

The minor differences in protein and fat is irrelevant in the big picture.
    More important questions:
    Are you hitting your calorie target for the day?
    Are you hitting your macros target?

Will the choice between Skim milk or Almond milk have a dramatic impact on those targets?
  • CJDaniel7
    CJDaniel7 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I only drink milk in my coffee, but I have moved to the point I really enjoy the taste of almond milk. But, I make my own and think it is the most delicious. My stomach has issues with milk sometimes. Health difference I won't claim to know.
    -Cup of almonds*
    -1/2 gallon of water
    -1/2 tsp of cinimmon
    -1 to 2 tsp of vanilla depending on your taste
    -3 dates (to sweeten without the use of processed sugar or artificial sweetener.) Makes is ever so lightly sweet, I don't like sweet.
    1. Blend
    2. Strain
    3. Bottle I use an old Organic milk glass bottle.
    4. Done

*some people say to soak the almonds over night in water with some salt, then rinse before start process to soften and extract more milk from them. I have a vitamix so i don't notice a difference, if you don't you may want to try this.
  • jstavix
    jstavix Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Our whole family has stopped drinking milk period for many reasons. We have also all became vegetarians as well. We are drinking almond breeze with honey in it and so far, so good. We use it in cereal etc. I have never been one to sit down and drink a glass of milk since I was a little kid so the switch was easy. I personally think it's what is good for you. Sure, it doesn't have protein but, it also doesn't have the gross things milk has either. Do some research on what the FDA allows in your milk! Kinda sickening!
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    jstavix wrote: »
    Our whole family has stopped drinking milk period for many reasons. We have also all became vegetarians as well. We are drinking almond breeze with honey in it and so far, so good. We use it in cereal etc. I have never been one to sit down and drink a glass of milk since I was a little kid so the switch was easy. I personally think it's what is good for you. Sure, it doesn't have protein but, it also doesn't have the gross things milk has either. Do some research on what the FDA allows in your milk! Kinda sickening!

Hence the reason I get raw milk from a farm up the street. I will never go back to store bought milk

• donamari7
    Options
    Thanks for all the great comments. I like Skim Milk too, but I don't care for it in my coffee. I love my coffee in the morning, but I don't like it black, so the Almond milk is pretty good in my coffee. I also tried some Almond milk in my granola this morning and that was quite good. I also agree that the protein difference is too minor to make a difference, unless you are counting on getting alot of your protein from milk.
  • donamari7
    Options
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    which is really better for us??
    Just pick the one you like and move on.

The minor differences in protein and fat is irrelevant in the big picture.
    More important questions:
    Are you hitting your calorie target for the day?
    Are you hitting your macros target?

Will the choice between Skim milk or Almond milk have a dramatic impact on those targets?

What is a macros target? This is a new term to me.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Not using skim milk in my morning coffee results in an 8 gram protein deficiency I have to get elsewhere, and that's hard since I'm supposed to limit dairy and I'm not a huge meat eater. Using another source for protein adds back in the calories so its kind of wash except for sugar I guess.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    What is a macros target?
    Macro ratio's is a better term. It's your percentage of macros, for example.: 45% carbs - 30% protein - 30% fat
  • ab3381
    ab3381 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Skim milk is also full of sugar!!! They add it to give it taste. I'd stick to whole before drinking skim. I do almond milk, unsweetened.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I've never seen skim milk with added sugar, that's a myth.

If you understand dairy, you'd understand that milk, including skim, naturally has lactose, which is sugar.
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I've never seen skim milk with added sugar, that's a myth.

Skim milk doesn't have added sugar, however it does contain more sugar than full-fat milks. Specifically lactose, a milk sugar. I am lactose-intolerant and if I had even a sip of skim milk I'd be running for a toilet, while a little full-fat cream doesn't both me as much.

I used to drink unsweetened almond milk, but lately I've switched to coconut milk and prefer it, mostly for coffee and smoothies.