Lawsuit 'Discriminatory' Gluten-Free Menu

Options

Replies

• HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    Someone may have already mentioned this but the outcome here will most likely not be a reduction in the price for gluten free meals weather she wins or not. They will probably pull all gluten free items before eating the difference in cost.

There was a similar impact at a chain restaurant that provided full nutritional info. Someone sued them saying it was incorrect and made them fat... so they just decided they didn't want the liability. Now there's no more nutritional info available on their website.

That wouldn't fly in NYC, where it is pretty much law to have caloric info on the menu.

Only for chain restaurants.

not even all chains... I think it's just certain categories of quick serve places

It's dependent on the number of restaurants that the chain has...I think it's 10 or 15 or something.

Interesting... city ordnance? I've never been to a chain in NYC, mainly because WHY

But if it were just based on number of restaurants and that law were applied more broadly in other geographies, that could be a real problem for chains that dont really prepare recipes consistently
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Someone may have already mentioned this but the outcome here will most likely not be a reduction in the price for gluten free meals weather she wins or not. They will probably pull all gluten free items before eating the difference in cost.

There was a similar impact at a chain restaurant that provided full nutritional info. Someone sued them saying it was incorrect and made them fat... so they just decided they didn't want the liability. Now there's no more nutritional info available on their website.

That wouldn't fly in NYC, where it is pretty much law to have caloric info on the menu.

not even all chains... I think it's just certain categories of quick serve places

It's dependent on the number of restaurants that the chain has...I think it's 10 or 15 or something.

I don't like it. I live close to NYC and the menus here have that stuff, and it kills my appetite for food to see it. Wish they would keep it in NYC.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Interesting... city ordnance? I've never been to a chain in NYC, mainly because WHY

But if it were just based on number of restaurants and that law were applied more broadly in other geographies, that could be a real problem for chains that dont really prepare recipes consistently

It was part of the original NYC ordinance back in the day. The pilot that Bloomberg launched. I don't know the rules today. But that's why some have them and some don't.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

where do you get your coffee- starbucks and dunkin on every corner- even some of the "local" big name diners- all have calorie counts- i know Benesh isn't a chain- it has calorie counts.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    Here it is http://www.economist.com/blogs/babbage/2011/07/menu-labelling

Any outfit with more than 15 branches nationwide.
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options

Back to the original topic, my fear is that this lawsuit could cause restaurants to stop offering gluten free menus, that would be very very bad for all celiacs.

This!
    If she actually is gluten free then she already knows that gluten free foods are more expensive for a variety of reasons. That cost always gets passed on to the consumer. I love when places have gluten free menus or are willing to make something special for me because I have celiac. I am, actually, more likely to go to PF Chang's now
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Adrianox85 wrote: »

So, if this is now a disability, does that mean I can park in the handicapped parking spots?

This is really ignorant.
    I think you can purchase gluten free sense of humor from Whole Foods.

• PRMinx
    Options

I don't like it. I live close to NYC and the menus here have that stuff, and it kills my appetite for food to see it. Wish they would keep it in NYC.

Agreed.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options

It was part of the original NYC ordinance back in the day. The pilot that Bloomberg launched. I don't know the rules today. But that's why some have them and some don't.

I can just imagine a chain like McCormick and Schmicks...or any similar chains that prepare slightly more complicated food...having trouble with nutritional data being accurate. But now we've gone all off topic. My bad.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Yes! I like that result, honestly.

It was probably the right thing to do anyhow... though a chain restaurant, they prepare food by hand and I cannot imagine they are particularly consistent with quantities of things that are typically added "to taste" or used as garnishes and sauces. The numbers were probably largely meaningless.

They are, the variables are unreal, I learned that my first week in the food industry. It's fine to get the numbers, but any legitimate chain would at best be within 50% plus or minus of their posted numbers.

Do you really want to try to do anything with data like that?
  • PRMinx
    Options

I can just imagine a chain like McCormick and Schmicks...or any similar chains that prepare slightly more complicated food...having trouble with nutritional data being accurate. But now we've gone all off topic. My bad.

Oh I completely agree. And I am SURE it stifled some growth plans, which sucks for the economy.
  • NJGamerChick
    Options

They all have recipes to base a ballpark figure on. It's never exact, but close enough. Website info for whatever chain isn't exact, either, since some people are heavy handed with their portions. It's more about saying, hey, this item as listed is around 1000 calories, not like, 300 calories, which you probably think it is.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options

It was probably the right thing to do anyhow... though a chain restaurant, they prepare food by hand and I cannot imagine they are particularly consistent with quantities of things that are typically added "to taste" or used as garnishes and sauces. The numbers were probably largely meaningless.

They are, the variables are unreal, I learned that my first week in the food industry. It's fine to get the numbers, but any legitimate chain would at best be within 50% plus or minus of their posted numbers.

I know...I'm always wondering about that myself when cooking. Do these numbers mean anything? Even if I know what I put in, how much fat did I render off that duck breast? How much olive oil is ON my sauteed veggies and how much is really just left in the pan. I have a hard time logging for this same reason. Seems only useful with packaged and processed foods, or simple things I eat raw and weigh.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Well, as of the end of this year all chains with more than 20 restaurants are supposed to have them.

Pretty much all the chain-like places around here (some with fewer than 10 locations) seem to have them (I'm in Chicago), and I like it but the idea that it's going to have some huge effect on the obesity rate or how many calories people consume seems unlikely to me.

I also mostly go to local, non-chain restaurants that, of course, don't have that information, and I'd be annoyed if they were forced to try to do it at the expense of their flexibility and ability to compete (in that it's a greater burden on small restaurants). It's my choice as a consumer to prioritize local restaurants with interesting and changing menus over calorie information, and if my priorities were different there are plenty of restaurants I could choose from.

(Okay, in case we are going into that topic, that's my POV.) ;-)
  • NJGamerChick
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Well, as of the end of this year all chains with more than 20 restaurants are supposed to have them.

Pretty much all the chain-like places around here (some with fewer than 10 locations) seem to have them (I'm in Chicago), and I like it but the idea that it's going to have some huge effect on the obesity rate or how many calories people consume seems unlikely to me.

I also mostly go to local, non-chain restaurants that, of course, don't have that information, and I'd be annoyed if they were forced to try to do it at the expense of their flexibility and ability to compete (in that it's a greater burden on small restaurants). It's my choice as a consumer to prioritize local restaurants with interesting and changing menus over calorie information, and if my priorities were different there are plenty of restaurants I could choose from.

I'm pretty sure most of us are ready to blow 1000+ cals on eating a nice meal out, or at least I am, mostly because I can only usually physically eat once that day if I'm eating stuff that isn't made the way I make it (low fat, high protein, lower than average carbs, etc). And let's face it, going out somewhere kind of nice for a salad is a sad thing to do (IMO).
  • PRMinx
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I'm pretty sure most of us are ready to blow 1000+ cals on eating a nice meal out, or at least I am, mostly because I can only usually physically eat once that day if I'm eating stuff that isn't made the way I make it (low fat, high protein, lower than average carbs, etc). And let's face it, going out somewhere kind of nice for a salad is a sad thing to do (IMO).

I completely agree with you.

But, you would be surprised at the way this conversation goes sometimes.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options

They all have recipes to base a ballpark figure on. It's never exact, but close enough. Website info for whatever chain isn't exact, either, since some people are heavy handed with their portions. It's more about saying, hey, this item as listed is around 1000 calories, not like, 300 calories, which you probably think it is.

We might maybe disagree about how useful that data is. I dont ever find myself thinking something is 300 calories only to find out it is instead 1000 calories. My ballpark needs to be pretty small... but maybe for many other people, those broad ranges are useful.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    To have an educated and informed opinion about the McDonald's case, you should read it. I'm not advocating for one side or the other, but I do know WHY she sued and why she WON the lawsuit. In this particular case it's not the way the media made it out to be, but as Americans, we consumed the way the case was presented by the media and never gave it a second thought...we just blame the old woman for a frivolous lawsuit. If it HAD been frivolous, it would have been thrown out. Just so you know.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

I know...I'm always wondering about that myself when cooking. Do these numbers mean anything? Even if I know what I put in, how much fat did I render off that duck breast? How much olive oil is ON my sauteed veggies and how much is really just left in the pan. I have a hard time logging for this same reason. Seems only useful with packaged and processed foods, or simple things I eat raw and weigh.

At home I log full value of everything, if something is rendered off or left in the pan, bonus. However, I remember how much variability you could get just from the cook and the mood.

We had one saute cook that started every dish with a 1 oz ladle of oil. another one preferred using the 2oz ladles... another didn't like using oil, and instead would use an ice cream scoop in the butter...
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    I had a pickle that advertised it was non gmo and gluten free

I saw an ad today for GMO-free salt... yeah.

Not this particular brand, but similar labeling. Also labeled "gluten free" LOL!

tumblr_nihx24kWfr1qkn2y7o1_500.jpg

What the heck is GMO-Free salt?

I specifically said "raging donkey dick," not "heck." "Heck" doesn't even come close to the force of "raging donkey dick." C'mon mods, what's wrong with raging donkey dick? Do you have something against *kitten*?