Need to cut sugar...help

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    @lemurcat12‌ -- believe me yet?

Who is saying it's wrong to limit sugar?

Either you don't remember what I said, or you are pretending not to. But it's all good.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    2lhasas wrote: »
    ... no one gorges themselves on dark chocolate.

Speak for yourself. :smile:

Sugar can be toxic, and not just for diabetics. It's estimated that 70-80 million Americans have insulin resistance. It's an epidemic, and the rise correlates strongly with our rise of sugar intake over the last few decades (especially in the form of HFCS, but there's nothing special about that form of sugar).

I snack on nuts and berries in addition to too much dark chocolate.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »

Sugar can be toxic, and not just for diabetics. It's estimated that 70-80 million Americans have insulin resistance. It's an epidemic, and the rise correlates strongly with our rise of sugar intake over the last few decades (especially in the form of HFCS, but there's nothing special about that form of sugar).

LOL, sugar is also essential to human life as for the sugar consumption correlation LOLOL

20130124-114258.jpg

6352537484_892f791f9e_z-636x310.jpg

933.png

• F1tnessCh1ck
    F1tnessCh1ck Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I manage to just stop sugar by having my protein shakes because they're sweet. I also make oatmeal and put a banana in it instead of adding additional sugar. Fruit really helps if you have a sugar craving. My biggest weakness is dark chocolate. I can eat it for days and want to die because my stomach is in knots, but I love it. I bought chocolate protein powder and I started adding a banana and peanut butter that helps with my sugar craving. I also purchased truvia (a form of stevia) to help with when I want a coffee. I put that in my coffee and I put honey in my tea. For sweets like brownies, I make them out of dates and black beans and they're amazing! I have eaten a whole tray to myself :neutral_face:

I find recipes that are regular "sweets" and I tweek them to make them healthier. With baking I use apple sauce instead of oil and bananas sub butter or something (I would have to look it up) and I make myself cookies.

anyway, if you want more info I'm here :) Time for lunch!
  • wabmester
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    LOL, sugar is also essential to human life as for the sugar consumption correlation LOLOL

So is water, but too much can drown you. :smile:

If 70-80 million people suffer from insulin resistance, that means 220-230 million people in this country don't. I.e., many people can tolerate sugar well. I assume you're one of those people. Congrats.

For the rest of us, we need to watch our sugar/carb intake.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

20130124-114258.jpg

933.png

What are the sources for these graphs? Without a source how do we know you aren't just making these yourself?
  • Poodles56
    Options
    Great thread, lots of good suggestions despite a vague question.

In case you are pre diabetic or diabetic (type 2, not on insulin), cutting sugars is a must. Start with reading labels and getting rid of foods that have corn syrup ( and there is lot of them around!). Limit your total carbs intake to about 120-140 gr/day and make it healthy carbs (fruit, veggies full of fiber).
    Be careful around rice and pasta - even brown rice and whole wheat pasta can add quite quickly to your daily carbs intake- learned that the hard way way!

If you are not diabetic, you can have more healthy carbs - 180-240 gr/day, evenly distributed during the day.

With sugar cravings, what helps me is having a small apple and almonds as a snack. If the craving is really bad - I will have the apple and a 1 tablespoon of peanut butter or a protein bar - gives me some fat and protein to calm me down. Sometimes I have dark chocolate to curb the sugar crave - a small piece, not the whole bar!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Why do so many people say this exact stupid thing?

Gee. Really? Amazingly, too little air can kill you, and a piece of metal with wood on the end of it can kill you if put into the wrong part of your body.

Oh, hot coffee is hot and can burn you.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    protip, maple syrup in ketchup = no good.
    I won't try that again, taste was horrendous.

Uh yeah. The combo doesn't even sound good!

I didn't want to use agave or brown sugar... it was an experiment. Now, remove the tomato, replace with bacon and bell peppers... and it's amazing. It does need a little brown sugar to help set it as a jam/emulsion though.
  • wabmester
    Options

Erhm, it was a stupid response to the stupid statement that sugar is vital for life.

The typical American diet has too much sugar. Too much sugar is toxic.

It kills beta cells, and that can lead to insulin resistance. It also binds to proteins -- glycation. That's how our body "ages."

So, sure, it's vital. Eat enough, but not too much.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

20130124-114258.jpg

933.png
    You forgot the best one:
    Schmarzo2..-7-12-12.png
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Erhm, it was a stupid response to the stupid statement that sugar is vital for life.

It kills beta cells, and that can lead to insulin resistance. It also binds to proteins -- glycation. That's how our body "ages."

Absolute nonsense...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

total hogwash ...
  • wabmester
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Absolute nonsense...

I'm always eager to learn. Do tell! How is beta cell death and glycation "nonsense?"
  • J72FIT
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Absolute nonsense...

I'm always eager to learn. Do tell! How is beta cell death and glycation "nonsense?"

What is nonsensical is your absolute position that sugar IS the cause... Please...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Absolute nonsense...

too much water is toxic...should we restrict that too?
  • J72FIT
    Options
    I'm always eager to learn.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I highly doubt this...

• wabmester
    Options
    What is nonsensical is your absolute position that sugar IS the cause... Please...

Glucose toxicity to beta cells is pretty well established science, AFAIK.

So is glycation and the effects on the body.

Everybody gets old, but not everybody gets diabetes. There are also genetic and environmental factors, obviously.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Awww, heck. You activated my researcher's gene. Here's a table of sugars and sweeteners. Knowledge is power.

Basically, any sweetener has very little nutritional value other than calories (i.e. empty calories). But don't knock glucose out of the park. It can be a life-saver. It's quick energy that can revive a diabetic suffering from insulin shock, and can revive an athlete depleted of all reserves.

Artificial sweeteners give sweetness without calories.

The OP, if trying to reduce the simple sugars in the diet (other than those naturally occurring in dairy and fruit) can do this by avoiding processed foods. Shop in the produce, dairy, and meat sections of the store (the outside) and limit products from the middle of the store.
  • J72FIT
    edited February 2015
    Options

Glucose toxicity to beta cells is pretty well established science, AFAIK.

So is glycation and the effects on the body.

Everybody gets old, but not everybody gets diabetes. There are also genetic and environmental factors, obviously.

This is all well fine and dandy, but to say it IS because of sugar is nonsensical...