Paleo Diet

Options

Replies

• kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    Tried it, didn't see anything that benefit me (in fact, I felt worse on it). It's just another fad diet plan.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    scaryg53 wrote: »
    I enjoy cooking and eating some paleo things, but like others said, I found it very restrictive and also time consuming. I'm a vegetarian which gave me even less options.

I don't think Paleo is meant for vegetarians considering that it forbids two major plant sources with grains and legumes.
    Then sticking to the vegetarian diet where most animal proteins are restricted is ok, gotcha.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Flag her comment all you want, but people in the paleolithic did eat bugs. Probably. I mean, the case for bugs is pretty sketchy, but so's the case against legumes.

Bugs would have been a big part of our diet and some cultures still eat them. Also, insects such as crickets are being looked at by some as the big sustainable food source for the future. I'm glad I'll be dead by then. ;)

No, I agree--I'm just saying, Paleo diets seem to use some pretty sketchy (and Eurocentric) evidence for why certain foods are or aren't allowed.
    I believe it's taken too literally and being right is paramount, right?

• Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I am doing fine eating whatever fits in my calorie goals. As of today I am down 43.4 lbs in 236 days and as of the last couple weeks bumped calories up to 1500 and thinking of upping it again.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I enjoy cooking and eating some paleo things, but like others said, I found it very restrictive and also time consuming. I'm a vegetarian which gave me even less options.

I don't think Paleo is meant for vegetarians considering that it forbids two major plant sources with grains and legumes.

You can eat within Paleo 'rules' as a straight up vegan, though. It's very doable, just not cheap. I find low carb easier as far as appetite goes, but otherwise, it wasn't a bad experience at all. As long as you love sweet potatoes!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Then sticking to the vegetarian diet where most animal proteins are restricted is ok, gotcha.

I'm not sure if you assume a lot or if you are answering something completely different. I am certainly not saying anything about the value of vegitarianism/veganism other than it doesn't fit in with Paleo.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Flag her comment all you want, but people in the paleolithic did eat bugs. Probably. I mean, the case for bugs is pretty sketchy, but so's the case against legumes.

Bugs would have been a big part of our diet and some cultures still eat them. Also, insects such as crickets are being looked at by some as the big sustainable food source for the future. I'm glad I'll be dead by then. ;)

No, I agree--I'm just saying, Paleo diets seem to use some pretty sketchy (and Eurocentric) evidence for why certain foods are or aren't allowed.

So we moralize foods and say that some are better than others because our ancestors ate or didn't eat this or that but in the end it's wrong so where does that leave us with the value of Paleo restrictions? Right, they are just arbitrary.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »

You can eat within Paleo 'rules' as a straight up vegan, though. It's very doable, just not cheap. I find low carb easier as far as appetite goes, but otherwise, it wasn't a bad experience at all. As long as you love sweet potatoes!

How did you fill your proteins without soy or other legumes? These are always the main source of non-animal proteins that I've noticed in most vegan diets. I can see it if you eat eggs and dairy but being vegan seems to be very difficult to meet certain requirements under these restrictions.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Why would people flag that?

Why did someone flag the OP? We're a flag happy bunch.
  • Jolinia
    Options

How did you fill your proteins without soy or other legumes? These are always the main source of non-animal proteins that I've noticed in most vegan diets. I can see it if you eat eggs and dairy but being vegan seems to be very difficult to meet certain requirements under these restrictions.

I did just fine with nuts and seeds. Ground chia is good. Calcium was actually the biggest pain in the neck for me, protein was easy.
  • neanderthin
    Options

So we moralize foods and say that some are better than others because our ancestors ate or didn't eat this or that but in the end it's wrong so where does that leave us with the value of Paleo restrictions? Right, they are just arbitrary.
    Originally Cordian, Eaton and others that gathered the cultural data, which is in the ethnographic atlas showed some profound changes in the modern environment of "Western Civilizations" that may shed some light on a discordance in our macro and micronutrients comparatively speaking...... unfortunately the cook book that ensued has created the monster that is the Paleo Diet.
  • neanderthin
    Options

I did just fine with nuts and seeds. Ground chia is good. Calcium was actually the biggest pain in the neck for me, protein was easy.
    No protein is not easy, unless of course you believe people need very little.
  • Jolinia
    Options

No protein is not easy, unless of course you believe people need very little.

Well, to be fair, I did need very little. I was under 115 pounds, still fairly sedentary, and as an older female I have less muscle mass to maintain. I shouldn't assume it's as easy for everyone else!
  • w_canary
    w_canary Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Like some of the people who commented, I also thought I couldn't give up on the grains and starchy foods(healthy ones). However I fell into the plateau and I had tried adjusting my diet and macros, including more cardio but it didn't work. I decided to give paleo a second try(first try was an epic fail, gave up on the 3rd day). I had already slowly cut down the starches in my diet and reduced it mainly to oats for breakfast and 1 portion of some kind of grains for lunch, so I found it easier this time. I've been paleo for the past 2 months and I can see difference already, I'm leaner and I lost 2kg. My workout consists of resistance training only, for cardio I just walk to and from work. However I need to add that I'm not 100% paleo, what I mean is that I don't mind some legumes now and then and as for dairy, I eat cottage cheese. Dark chocolate(75% and more) is something that will always be part of my diet so...
    What I can give as an advice is to make a transition to paleo start with 2 days a week completely paleo and just increase the number of days when you feel comfortable. Don't just dive into it you won't be able to manage it. It's very hard when your body is used to function on carbs instead of fat and you will also feel tired and irritated all the time.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Never mind, asked and answered.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of diets that tell me what I cannot eat...I prefer to eat what I want so long as I am hitting my macros and eating at a deficit :smile: if it works for you, hazza!, it will not work for me :smiley:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I couldn't get enough protein on nuts and seeds, which seem more like fat sources whenever I log them, but I don't feel drawn to a vegan diet anyway (or to giving up legumes), so I guess that doesn't much matter.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I follow it, but not to the letter. I found that I felt best when cutting out most dairy and grains. I think people need to find what works for them. If you find being a vegan works then great, if you find an all bacon diet works, fine. It's silly to ridicule someone for their diet choices. To each their own I guess.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    w_canary wrote: »
    Like some of the people who commented, I also thought I couldn't give up on the grains and starchy foods(healthy ones). However I fell into the plateau and I had tried adjusting my diet and macros, including more cardio but it didn't work. I decided to give paleo a second try(first try was an epic fail, gave up on the 3rd day). I had already slowly cut down the starches in my diet and reduced it mainly to oats for breakfast and 1 portion of some kind of grains for lunch, so I found it easier this time. I've been paleo for the past 2 months and I can see difference already, I'm leaner and I lost 2kg. My workout consists of resistance training only, for cardio I just walk to and from work. However I need to add that I'm not 100% paleo, what I mean is that I don't mind some legumes now and then and as for dairy, I eat cottage cheese. Dark chocolate(75% and more) is something that will always be part of my diet so...
    What I can give as an advice is to make a transition to paleo start with 2 days a week completely paleo and just increase the number of days when you feel comfortable. Don't just dive into it you won't be able to manage it. It's very hard when your body is used to function on carbs instead of fat and you will also feel tired and irritated all the time.

I see a lot of posts like this one and they always confuse me. Why recommend a diet you don't follow and admit to finding too restrictive to sustain?
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Is it true people on Paleo diet don't eat Apple?

I was told this by someone on diet and I thought they were joking.

Is it true - no apples on Paleo diet?