Paleo Diet

Options

Replies

• runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    sprotzma wrote: »
    Paleo is great For reducing cholesterol but it's hard to follow the restrictions

How does cholesterol get reduced by Paleo diet?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Just losing weight can lower cholesterol.
  • runner475
    Options
    Flag her comment all you want, but people in the paleolithic did eat bugs. Probably. I mean, the case for bugs is pretty sketchy, but so's the case against legumes.

Bugs would have been a big part of our diet and some cultures still eat them. Also, insects such as crickets are being looked at by some as the big sustainable food source for the future. I'm glad I'll be dead by then. ;)

The person who mentioned to me that they don't eat Apple b'coz it doesn't fir into Paleo diet they buy cricket flour.

You read correct - cricket flour to bake their cakes and pastries.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,952 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    Is it true people on Paleo diet don't eat Apple?

I was told this by someone on diet and I thought they were joking.

Is it true - no apples on Paleo diet?
    Apples in the Paleolithic period were just for decorative table arrangements, everyone knows that.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Flag her comment all you want, but people in the paleolithic did eat bugs. Probably. I mean, the case for bugs is pretty sketchy, but so's the case against legumes.

Bugs would have been a big part of our diet and some cultures still eat them. Also, insects such as crickets are being looked at by some as the big sustainable food source for the future. I'm glad I'll be dead by then. ;)

The person who mentioned to me that they don't eat Apple b'coz it doesn't fir into Paleo diet they buy cricket flour.

Interesting. Where can you buy cricket flour?? I'd probably give it a try. My only aversion to eating bugs would be the nasty texture.

Paleo is very low carb, so you certainly couldn't eat apples often. I believe high sugar fruits like apples and bananas are discouraged.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    You can get it on amazon--flour, protein powder, energy bars. It's all the rage in paleo circles. I wouldn't be surprised if they carry it at my WF.

I'd be open to trying it too, actually.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Interesting. Where can you buy cricket flour?? I'd probably give it a try. My only aversion to eating bugs would be the nasty texture.

Paleo is very low carb, so you certainly couldn't eat apples often. I believe high sugar fruits like apples and bananas are discouraged.

Paleo actually has a few different meaning and is not always low-carb. I was listening to an interview of the original author of the Paleo diet and this low-carb highly restrictive version of what is now called Paleo is not what he had in-mind. Bananas are actually a Paleo-approved food if I recall from one of the earlier food lists, don't remember if apples were or not.

edit: I believe he was on Mark Bell's podcast called "Power Cast" last year at some point.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

Paleo actually has a few different meaning and is not always low-carb. I was listening to an interview of the original author of the Paleo diet and this low-carb highly restrictive version of what is now called Paleo is not what he had in-mind. Bananas are actually a Paleo-approved food if I recall from one of the earlier food lists, don't remember if apples were or not.

edit: I believe he was on Mark Bell's podcast called "Power Cast" last year at some point.

Who is the original author?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,952 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Cordian. Also kinda naïve to believe that all H-Ger's ate low carb and actually the basic macro split was 65/35 or there about, if I remember correctly.....been awhile.

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options

ykdanyz69sv5.png
  • runner475
    Options

You are correct they suggested the texture was something they had to get accustomed to but it had very high protein content and absolutely bare minimum carbs.

• kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    I follow the Agnostic eating plan -- much easier than being Paleo, or low carb, or whatever.
  • runner475
    Options
    I remember seeing this protein bar with them. If you guys are wondering which one to try

https://www.exoprotein.com/products/cricket-flour-protein-bars/cacao-nut

I don't know the flour they use but yes as @lemurcat12‌ mentioned I did a search and found cricket flour on Amazon.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

Artificially strawberry color is derived from a crushed bug so I guess it's not so new...
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

You are correct they suggested the texture was something they had to get accustomed to but it had very high protein content and absolutely bare minimum carbs.

And bare minimum taste too I would imagine. :grimacing:
  • w_canary
    w_canary Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    w_canary wrote: »
    Like some of the people who commented, I also thought I couldn't give up on the grains and starchy foods(healthy ones). However I fell into the plateau and I had tried adjusting my diet and macros, including more cardio but it didn't work. I decided to give paleo a second try(first try was an epic fail, gave up on the 3rd day). I had already slowly cut down the starches in my diet and reduced it mainly to oats for breakfast and 1 portion of some kind of grains for lunch, so I found it easier this time. I've been paleo for the past 2 months and I can see difference already, I'm leaner and I lost 2kg. My workout consists of resistance training only, for cardio I just walk to and from work. However I need to add that I'm not 100% paleo, what I mean is that I don't mind some legumes now and then and as for dairy, I eat cottage cheese. Dark chocolate(75% and more) is something that will always be part of my diet so...
    What I can give as an advice is to make a transition to paleo start with 2 days a week completely paleo and just increase the number of days when you feel comfortable. Don't just dive into it you won't be able to manage it. It's very hard when your body is used to function on carbs instead of fat and you will also feel tired and irritated all the time.

I see a lot of posts like this one and they always confuse me. Why recommend a diet you don't follow and admit to finding too restrictive to sustain?
    If you have followed diets for quite some time you will come to the realization that some things work for your body and others not. Diets are one size fits all type of thing. I've tried most of the popular diets but I realized that if I don't educate myself in nutrition I will never succeed so I've learned what my body hadles well and what works works best for me. Therefore the adjustments I did. I like the main idea of paleo: making your body function on fat instead of carbs and that's what I'm following. Hope this answers your question :smile:

• runner475
    edited February 2015
    Options

And bare minimum taste too I would imagine. :grimacing:

LOL!!! I don't know. Didn't taste it.

But I have an interesting understanding w.r.t taste and our taste buds.

This was sometime in 2009 - A friend of mine cooked in coconut oil all the time and I was like "What in the world? Doesn't your food smell coconut all the time?" And her response was "Give it a try but stick with it for atleast a month". so she gave me a $15 huge jar of coconut oil for free to try.

I cook in Coconut OIl now. Ha Ha Ha!!! I guess we unknowlingly are constantly training our taste buds to like or dislike something.

EDTA : I don't have b@lls to try cricket flour though. I don't know maybe someday.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I like the main idea of paleo: making your body function on fat instead of carbs and that's what I'm following.

Where did you get that this is the main idea of paleo? I'm just curious because I'm kind of interested in paleo and know various people who do it, and it doesn't seem at all clear to me that it's intended as a low carb diet vs. one where a lot of people end up lowering their carbs vs. the SAD or perhaps accidently going low carb because they previously were eating lots of grains (and it takes longer to cook a sweet potato than grab a bagel).

I'd also never heard that apples were forbidden, although I have heard that fruits should be limited to 2 servings a day (I suspect cavemen had no such rules).
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I like the main idea of paleo: making your body function on fat instead of carbs and that's what I'm following.

Where did you get that this is the main idea of paleo? I'm just curious because I'm kind of interested in paleo and know various people who do it, and it doesn't seem at all clear to me that it's intended as a low carb diet vs. one where a lot of people end up lowering their carbs vs. the SAD or perhaps accidently going low carb because they previously were eating lots of grains (and it takes longer to cook a sweet potato than grab a bagel).

I'd also never heard that apples were forbidden, although I have heard that fruits should be limited to 2 servings a day (I suspect cavemen had no such rules).

I think a lot of people consider keto and paleo to be interchangeable. They're not remotely, but they do get lumped in together quite a bit, especially by the recipe blogs that want to milk as many pageviews as they can by both groups.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Do you mean the texture of the flour? I meant bugs. As in eating bugs for nourishment. That crunch and then the squishy stuff that comes out when you step on them happening in my mouth. :s

Ground into a flour I could maybe take.