Options

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    Flag her comment all you want, but people in the paleolithic did eat bugs. Probably. I mean, the case for bugs is pretty sketchy, but so's the case against legumes.

Bugs would have been a big part of our diet and some cultures still eat them. Also, insects such as crickets are being looked at by some as the big sustainable food source for the future. I'm glad I'll be dead by then. ;)

The person who mentioned to me that they don't eat Apple b'coz it doesn't fir into Paleo diet they buy cricket flour.

You read correct - cricket flour to bake their cakes and pastries.

Interesting. Where can you buy cricket flour?? I'd probably give it a try. My only aversion to eating bugs would be the nasty texture.

Paleo is very low carb, so you certainly couldn't eat apples often. I believe high sugar fruits like apples and bananas are discouraged.

You are correct they suggested the texture was something they had to get accustomed to but it had very high protein content and absolutely bare minimum carbs.

Do you mean the texture of the flour? I meant bugs. As in eating bugs for nourishment. That crunch and then the squishy stuff that comes out when you step on them happening in my mouth. :s

Ground into a flour I could maybe take.

Reminds me of this classic Monty Python https://youtube.com/watch?v=lUh9Djcxgjs#t=139
  • w_canary
    w_canary Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    w_canary wrote: »
    I like the main idea of paleo: making your body function on fat instead of carbs and that's what I'm following.

Where did you get that this is the main idea of paleo? I'm just curious because I'm kind of interested in paleo and know various people who do it, and it doesn't seem at all clear to me that it's intended as a low carb diet vs. one where a lot of people end up lowering their carbs vs. the SAD or perhaps accidently going low carb because they previously were eating lots of grains (and it takes longer to cook a sweet potato than grab a bagel).

I'd also never heard that apples were forbidden, although I have heard that fruits should be limited to 2 servings a day (I suspect cavemen had no such rules).

I've read quite a lot of articles(research and just people explaining their experience with paleo) and some books dedicated to the topic can't specifically name where I read it but I do remember that the fact the carbs your body absorbs come strictly from fruit and veggies (doesn't mean it's low carb) makes the difference. And since those are complex carbs but not starches, your body main fuel will need to come from fat. At least that was the claim and to me it makes sense, maybe other people will find this BS.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Everyone I know into paleo is obsessed with sweet potatoes. Also eating starchy carbs around workouts.

Not saying you are right or wrong, just that there's all kinds of diverse ideas of paleo out there. The commonality just seems to be no grains, dairy, or legumes.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I am a "Paleo" flunky! I had my quinoa, almond milk, and was embracing grass fed beef. Until I couldn't take it anymore. I am a die hard dairy fanatic. I need milk in my coffee, and I eat Greek yogurt every day for breakfast!

Ditched Paleo for Atkins, much happier!
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Once you start concentrating on the foods you can eat by following a Paleo diet and then just try to eat as close to nature as possible in our modern society, then it is a breeze. I don't eat wheat and minimal dairy so the Paleo recipes suit me.

I personally do not miss bread and I certainly don't miss the stomach aches it gave me.

I went to a Paleo restaurant the other night, packed out. Eating fresh healthy food is more popular than you think.
  • lemurcat12
    edited February 2015
    Options
    What did cavemen tip?

Also I love the strawman. Since when does one have to give up grains, dairy, and legumes to eat fresh healthy food? I still don't know why the beans I grow in my garden or the corn grown a few miles from my house aren't fresh and healthy (in season, of course).
  • irretrievable_
    irretrievable_ Posts: 9
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Paleo diet is based on pseudoscience. I will never eat the way my body does not want.

(Also, it is so damned expensive!!!)
  • LeenaGee
    Options
    Never enter into the caveman conversation as the version of Paleo I follow doesn't entail rubbing two sticks together or eating grubs.

Lemur, I love fresh corn and green beans and personally don't see a problem with them. I eat any food in nature that does not worry me. If I eat something and I feel energised then as far as I am concerned, that is fine. I listen to my body and avoid foods that make me feel sick - simple as that. I find when I stick to a stricter Paleo style, I feel healthier, less tired and never headachy or foggy AND that dreadful bloat has gone. You know the one girls, when your stomach pocks out from under your boobs. EEEKKK!! and suddenly your waistline is 10cm more than it was that morning. :o
  • JessDickman72
    JessDickman72 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I enjoy eating paleo and think it's a fantastic concept. Diets are stupid.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Corn is a grain. It's forbidden on paleo. Green beans are legumes, but I think they are more lenient about that one. But lima beans, not so much.

Now, if you don't really eat paleo, that's fine with me, but if we are going to talk about paleo, let's talk about paleo.
  • LeenaGee
    Options
    FORBIDDEN!! Are you kidding me? Is the God of Paleo going to strike me down? That is so funny. I am so pleased that "they" are more lenient about green beans or else I would really have to hang my head in shame.

Paleo introduces so many wonderful new foods into your diet that you really don't miss some of the others. I love it.

It is only because I wasn't eating Paleo that I started to gain weight. All my life, without realising it, I was eating a Paleo style diet. My weight was stable and I was blessed with good health. It wasn't until I got really slack when I hit menopause and started to eat rubbish that I began to gain weight. I searched for a solution and suddenly my old way of eating had a name - Paleo. I admit I tampered with the "rules" but hey I'm nearly 60, it is about time I lived life on the edge. lol

And yes Jess - diets are stupid.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    FORBIDDEN!! Are you kidding me? Is the God of Paleo going to strike me down? That is so funny. I am so pleased that "they" are more lenient about green beans or else I would really have to hang my head in shame.

I think that's the main issue most note in Paleo is that everyone just eats what they want anyway and claim to still follow Paleo. Considering how varied the human diet has been through out time and culture then there isn't any reason to really restrict any major food group because at one time or other some of our paleolithic ancestors probably did eat it. Except for Snickers because that was just too advanced for them. ;)
  • LeenaGee
    edited February 2015
    Options

I think that's the main issue most note in Paleo is that everyone just eats what they want anyway and claim to still follow Paleo. Considering how varied the human diet has been through out time and culture then there isn't any reason to really restrict any major food group because at one time or other some of our paleolithic ancestors probably did eat it. Except for Snickers because that was just too advanced for them. ;)

I agree, most people claiming to follow Paleo just eat what they like. The lines are fairly vague. However, what most try to do is eat as close to nature as possible in our modern lives and the majority try to avoid wheat. I think if you said you followed a strict Paleolithic diet then it would be different. Perhaps then you would stick to the rules in a more regimental way.

But me, apparently I'm heading for Paleo hell as I only follow a Primal/Paleo lifestyle 80% of the time. :)
  • lemurcat12
    edited February 2015
    Options

Forbidden as in chicken is forbidden on a vegetarian diet. Some people claim to be vegetarians who eat chicken or vegetarians who eat fish, but they just sound ignorant.

The essence of paleo is no grains, dairy, and legumes. Primal (if it's really a thing, I'm kind of skeptical) is more lenient on dairy and legumes, but still grains are kind of the key thing. Claiming to be paleo because you don't eat wheat and only wheat is, again, like someone claiming to be a vegetarian because he abstains from red meat.
    Paleo introduces so many wonderful new foods into your diet that you really don't miss some of the others. I love it.

Paleo introduces no foods into your diet. There are no foods that you must eat to be paleo nor that are unique to paleo dieters, not even cricket flour. If you disagree, please tell me what special paleo foods I don't eat due to not being paleo.

You keep trying to claim that "being paleo" is about eating fresh whole foods, but that's nonsense because a great many people (including me) eat fresh whole foods despite not calling ourselves paleo. Sorry, but you don't have a monopoly on it and you could have been doing it all along.
    It is only because I wasn't eating Paleo that I started to gain weight.

I could easily gain weight on the paleo diet and I know people who have. I gained weight initially on your version of the paleo diet (though it wasn't paleo) -- eating fresh whole foods. (What changed wasn't what I ate but that I got less active.) I am not anti paleo, and certainly not anti eating fresh whole foods (as that's how I eat), but it's nonsense to claim that it's impossible to gain weight doing it.
  • lemurcat12
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I agree, most people claiming to follow Paleo just eat what they like. The lines are fairly vague.

Actually, no, I don't agree with this. Most people I know who do paleo cheat plenty, but they know when they are cheating--there are some clear cut rules (and they may claim to be partially paleo or some such). There's a local caterer who does paleo meals, and people who order them know what they don't include and would not be cool with them including grains, beans, or dairy, after being advertised as paleo. (It's big business too, they are now selling at my local WF.)

But it is simply not true to say that paleo=eating mostly whole foods. Again, it would be weird for someone who eats chicken to want to identify as vegetarian, and I don't see how this is different.

And I'm not claiming "not paleo" in that it's not how actual paleolithic man ate. Nothing about the diet has much to do with that.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    You can get it on amazon--flour, protein powder, energy bars. It's all the rage in paleo circles. I wouldn't be surprised if they carry it at my WF.

I'd be open to trying it too, actually.

I had to google. I was dying laughing while reading the description to my boyfriend...

"This product is 100% pure crickets. Each bag contains 3.5oz (100g) at 70% protein - that's almost 1/4 pound. It takes approximately 1,100 crickets to make a 100g bag of this flour."
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Flag her comment all you want, but people in the paleolithic did eat bugs. Probably. I mean, the case for bugs is pretty sketchy, but so's the case against legumes.

Bugs would have been a big part of our diet and some cultures still eat them. Also, insects such as crickets are being looked at by some as the big sustainable food source for the future. I'm glad I'll be dead by then. ;)

The person who mentioned to me that they don't eat Apple b'coz it doesn't fir into Paleo diet they buy cricket flour.

Interesting. Where can you buy cricket flour?? I'd probably give it a try. My only aversion to eating bugs would be the nasty texture.

There are energy/"granola" bars made from cricket flour. I've had one - can't really tell that they're any different than anything else in that genre.

Paleo is very low carb, so you certainly couldn't eat apples often.

There is no justification for declaring Paleo to be "low carb".

• LeenaGee
    edited February 2015
    Options
    This is the Paleo food guide that I follow and what Paleo means to me. I try not to eat wheat or gluten, no pasta or white rice, (can't stand the stuff) but I do eat a little bit of brown rice and oats occasionally. Dairy doesn't seem to worry me so I eat it.

In a nutshell, Paleo lifestyle and diet take inspiration and cues from our ancestors and the way we used to eat and live. It’s not about re-enacting the caveman era but instead it’s fueled by modern scientific and medical research and common sense.

The diet focuses on unprocessed, whole foods, lots of healthy fats including saturated fat, grass-fed, free-range meat and eggs, lots of fish and seafood, vegetables, fruit, berries, nuts, seeds and some natural sweeteners. It excludes grains, legumes, processed sugar and most dairy. Some people include healthy dairy foods like kefir, full fat natural yogurt, some aged cheese and butter, but of course it really depends on your sensitivities. It focuses on local, organic produce and good farming practices.

The paleo or primal lifestyle also promotes healthier sleeping habits, stress reduction, functional fitness, adequate sun exposure, avoiding environmental toxins and so on. Above all, paleo is not a set of strict rules, it’s more of a framework that you can adapt based on your own goals, health, gender, age, location and current lifestyle. It’s a very holistic approach to wellbeing.

What’s In:
    •Meat and poultry (including offal) – grass-fed, free range meat.
    •Fish and seafood
    •Eggs – free-range, pasture raised whenever possible
    •Vegetables – non-starchy and starchy tubers and root vegetables
    •Fruit and berries – low sugar fruit and berries. Bananas and mangos on occasion.
    •Nuts and seeds – many nuts and seeds are high in Omega-6 fatty acids which can be pro-inflammatory if consumed in large quantities and when your diet is not balanced by an equal amount of Omega-3 fatty acids found in oily fish like salmon and sardines, eggs and leafy greens. Minimal nuts and seeds every day. The same goes for nut meals and flours such as almond meal. Activated nuts and seeds are easier to digest.
    •Spices and herbs – the more the better! Good quality sea salt or Celtic salt to get beneficial minerals.
    •Healthy fats – coconut oil, coconut milk and cream, ghee, butter, duck fat, olive oil, avocado oil, macadamia nut oil, fish oil, sesame oil as well as from grass-fed meats, poultry and fish.
    •Condiments – mustard, fish good, quality vinegars such as Apple Cider with mother in it or aged Balsamic, olive oil mayonnaise, low sugar tomato sauces and paste, anchovies, olives, gherkins, capers, salsas and pestos – are all fine, no nasty chemicals and preservatives are added. Wheat free soy sauce such as Tamari and naturally derived oyster sauce.
    •For baking – nut meals, coconut flour, tapioca and arrowroot flour, sweet potato flour, chestnut flour.

Out
    •Grains – especially wheat and anything with gluten. White rice is the least harmful of all grains and is added to dishes on occasions or for variety.
    •Legumes – beans, lentils, chickpeas and so on. Cashews are not legumes! I eat green beans and peas but avoid the rest.
    •Refined sugars and carbohydrates – bread, pasta, cookies, white sugar, artificial sugar, high fructose syrup, sodas, processed fruit juices and so on.
    •Dairy – especially milk and low fat dairy and for those with damaged gut or gluten/lactose intolerances.
    •Processed vegetable oils and fats such as canola oil (rapeseed), soybean oil, vegetable, and sunflower oils and margarines and spreads made with such oils.
    •Gluten containing products

Ok, on occasion:
    •Dairy should mainly be avoided, especially if you suffer from gut problems and gluten intolerances, but if you’re in good health and have no sensitivities to lactose (sugars in milk) or casein (protein in milk) then a little healthy dairy can go a long way. Avoid cow’s milk as it has a high Glycemic Index unlike cheese or yogurt. Better options are goat’s and sheep’s milk products, A2 cow’s milk and cow’s milk fermented products like kefir, unsweetened yogurt, aged cheeses, full fat cream, butter, and ricotta.
    •Natural sweeteners – honey, maple syrup, molasses, dried fruit, dark chocolate, palm sugar, rice malt syrup for those avoiding fructose.
    •Alcohol – dry wines, clean non-grain based spirits.
    •Fermented soy such miso, tempeh in small amounts, wheat free soy sauce
    •Pseudograins like quinoa, amaranth and buckwheat.
    •Fresh corn, green beans and green peas fall into grain/legume category but they are totally fine to use every now and then and especially when in season and local.

The above was taken from one of the many guides to eating in a Paleo style and I have shortened it but basically it is how I eat 80% of the time. Yes I will cheat on occasion and stray off the Paleo path but I answer to me and to me alone when it comes to what I put in my body.

I have never claimed that Paleo is the best for weightloss, as you can certainly gain weight by eating too much healthy food but for those with unhealthy eating habits, I am pretty confident people would see a difference in their weight and their health by adopting a Paleo lifestyle.

So if what I am doing is not Paleo then I really aren't all that worried because I am blessed with good health so I must be doing something right.

http://eatdrinkpaleo.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/paleo_food_pyramid_Irey.jpg

Had to edit because I forgot about the cricket flour. No thank you, not for me. :p
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    This is the Paleo food guide that I follow and what Paleo means to me. I try not to eat wheat or gluten, no pasta or white rice, (can't stand the stuff) but I do eat a little bit of brown rice and oats occasionally. Dairy doesn't seem to worry me so I eat it.

In a nutshell, Paleo lifestyle and diet take inspiration and cues from our ancestors and the way we used to eat and live. It’s not about re-enacting the caveman era but instead it’s fueled by modern scientific and medical research and common sense.

The diet focuses on unprocessed, whole foods, lots of healthy fats including saturated fat, grass-fed, free-range meat and eggs, lots of fish and seafood, vegetables, fruit, berries, nuts, seeds and some natural sweeteners. It excludes grains, legumes, processed sugar and most dairy. Some people include healthy dairy foods like kefir, full fat natural yogurt, some aged cheese and butter, but of course it really depends on your sensitivities. It focuses on local, organic produce and good farming practices.

The paleo or primal lifestyle also promotes healthier sleeping habits, stress reduction, functional fitness, adequate sun exposure, avoiding environmental toxins and so on. Above all, paleo is not a set of strict rules, it’s more of a framework that you can adapt based on your own goals, health, gender, age, location and current lifestyle. It’s a very holistic approach to wellbeing.

What’s In:
    •Meat and poultry (including offal) – grass-fed, free range meat.
    •Fish and seafood
    •Eggs – free-range, pasture raised whenever possible
    •Vegetables – non-starchy and starchy tubers and root vegetables
    •Fruit and berries – low sugar fruit and berries. Bananas and mangos on occasion.
    •Nuts and seeds – many nuts and seeds are high in Omega-6 fatty acids which can be pro-inflammatory if consumed in large quantities and when your diet is not balanced by an equal amount of Omega-3 fatty acids found in oily fish like salmon and sardines, eggs and leafy greens. Minimal nuts and seeds every day. The same goes for nut meals and flours such as almond meal. Activated nuts and seeds are easier to digest.
    •Spices and herbs – the more the better! Good quality sea salt or Celtic salt to get beneficial minerals.
    •Healthy fats – coconut oil, coconut milk and cream, ghee, butter, duck fat, olive oil, avocado oil, macadamia nut oil, fish oil, sesame oil as well as from grass-fed meats, poultry and fish.
    •Condiments – mustard, fish good, quality vinegars such as Apple Cider with mother in it or aged Balsamic, olive oil mayonnaise, low sugar tomato sauces and paste, anchovies, olives, gherkins, capers, salsas and pestos – are all fine, no nasty chemicals and preservatives are added. Wheat free soy sauce such as Tamari and naturally derived oyster sauce.
    •For baking – nut meals, coconut flour, tapioca and arrowroot flour, sweet potato flour, chestnut flour.

Out
    •Grains – especially wheat and anything with gluten. White rice is the least harmful of all grains and is added to dishes on occasions or for variety.
    •Legumes – beans, lentils, chickpeas and so on. Cashews are not legumes! I eat green beans and peas but avoid the rest.
    •Refined sugars and carbohydrates – bread, pasta, cookies, white sugar, artificial sugar, high fructose syrup, sodas, processed fruit juices and so on.
    •Dairy – especially milk and low fat dairy and for those with damaged gut or gluten/lactose intolerances.
    •Processed vegetable oils and fats such as canola oil (rapeseed), soybean oil, vegetable, and sunflower oils and margarines and spreads made with such oils.
    •Gluten containing products

Ok, on occasion:
    •Dairy should mainly be avoided, especially if you suffer from gut problems and gluten intolerances, but if you’re in good health and have no sensitivities to lactose (sugars in milk) or casein (protein in milk) then a little healthy dairy can go a long way. Avoid cow’s milk as it has a high Glycemic Index unlike cheese or yogurt. Better options are goat’s and sheep’s milk products, A2 cow’s milk and cow’s milk fermented products like kefir, unsweetened yogurt, aged cheeses, full fat cream, butter, and ricotta.
    •Natural sweeteners – honey, maple syrup, molasses, dried fruit, dark chocolate, palm sugar, rice malt syrup for those avoiding fructose.
    •Alcohol – dry wines, clean non-grain based spirits.
    •Fermented soy such miso, tempeh in small amounts, wheat free soy sauce
    •Pseudograins like quinoa, amaranth and buckwheat.
    •Fresh corn, green beans and green peas fall into grain/legume category but they are totally fine to use every now and then and especially when in season and local.

The above was taken from one of the many guides to eating in a Paleo style and I have shortened it but basically it is how I eat 80% of the time. Yes I will cheat on occasion and stray off the Paleo path but I answer to me and to me alone when it comes to what I put in my body.

I have never claimed that Paleo is the best for weightloss, as you can certainly gain weight by eating too much healthy food but for those with unhealthy eating habits, I am pretty confident people would see a difference in their weight and their health by adopting a Paleo lifestyle.

So if what I am doing is not Paleo then I really aren't all that worried because I am blessed with good health so I must be doing something right.

http://eatdrinkpaleo.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/paleo_food_pyramid_Irey.jpg

Had to edit because I forgot about the cricket flour. No thank you, not for me. :p

So you're not Paleo, but say you're Paleo...I get it. Everyone needs a label.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Paleo is very low carb, so you certainly couldn't eat apples often. I believe high sugar fruits like apples and bananas are discouraged.

Where did you get that Paleo is very low carb???? The majority of the people that I know that are Paleo are NOT low carb...........yes, lower than the SAD, but not Atkins like low carb.

Personally, I am on the lower carb portion of Paleo because that is what works for ME and ME ALONE. We are all different and different amounts of food work for different people.

I also use cricket flour, coconut flour and I have began purchasing Exo bars which are made from cricket flour.

I also eat apples, bananas, pineapple, berries, etc, etc, etc

I also like my steak very rare and my beef liver just seared on each side.