Guys, stop with the orthorexia already!

Options

Replies

• DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm glad that currently there's a hyper awareness of food production. I remember the arid desert that was the grocery store in the 1980s.

Thank god for the re-emergence of the small farmer -- the craft farmer? The artisinal farmer? Today, I can purchase beef, chicken, cheese, wine, honey, ALL THE FRUIT and VEG, and tons of other foods produced within 50 miles of me. Well, the wine sucks, that's true. But the rest of it is super tasty. A hot orange, 10 seconds from tree to my mouth? Local seafood? Grass fed beef? All amazing. Even better -- bison. Yum. Emu meat is gross, though.

A red tomato, fresh from the farmer's truck. /thread Beats the nasty hothouse tomato hands down. Sadly, I am too far away from New Jersey to get New Jersey corn, but it's the best corn in the country.

And when I eat at restaurants, I get so many interesting food choices, things I've never heard of and am delighted to get to eat.

30 years ago? Not so much. Limited choice, limited imagination. Anyone remember aspic salad? Or when there were two apple choices -- MacIntosh and Granny Smith?

I don't think this hyper awareness about food is causing people to develop a mental illness, though. We are the only animal that is constantly aware of its own death, and that makes us anxious. For thousands of years, that anxiety was pretty stable in its focus: where is our next meal coming from? Today, we have the luxury to be anxious about anything - climate change, nuclear war, terrorism, food production, etc.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    DeWoSa wrote: »
    Thank god for the re-emergence of the small farmer -- the craft farmer? The artisinal farmer? Today, I can purchase beef, chicken, cheese, wine, honey, ALL THE FRUIT and VEG, and tons of other foods produced within 50 miles of me. Well, the wine sucks, that's true. But the rest of it is super tasty. A hot orange, 10 seconds from tree to my mouth? Local seafood? Grass fed beef? All amazing. Even better -- bison. Yum. Emu meat is gross, though.

I personally like the ones that are buying up produce from other producers, donning some grubby clothes, creating a nice sign, buying a bunch of baskets, and then weaving beautiful stories for urbanites to coo over their $8 a pound potatoes that wouldn't be grown there...

Those guys are smart. All the persona, none of the actual farming.
  • KitkatcuteNYC
    KitkatcuteNYC Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    This thread is too funny!! So what if people decide to watch what/how they eat...does it affect you in any way? Didn't think so!
  • dbmata
    Options
    This thread is too funny!! So what if people decide to watch what/how they eat...does it affect you in any way? Didn't think so!

I think you missed the point. We have to judge, lest things be unjudged.
  • DeWoSa
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I personally like the ones that are buying up produce from other producers, donning some grubby clothes, creating a nice sign, buying a bunch of baskets, and then weaving beautiful stories for urbanites to coo over their $8 a pound potatoes that wouldn't be grown there...

Those guys are smart. All the persona, none of the actual farming.

Around here, fortunately, we go to the actual farm. I went to the cheese farm and asked the woman if she sold her chickens. Turns out they are her pets -- I think she was about to stroke out when I talked about cooking them.

On a related note, when I was strolling down the cereal aisle the other day, I noticed that Cheerios has a new product out: Cheerios Ancient Grains.

I was so delighted I bought some. Now I am going to tell everyone I am Paleo.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I bet they're made of quinoa and spelt! lol. too funny.

What I like about the fetishization of farming, farm to table, agricoles, etc. is that there is now a huge population of fakers and takers that are making a ton of money from the naive. You see that a lot from craft Bourbon distillers now too. (Most sell the same Indiana factory bourbon as the others.)

What this means though, is that soon people will become educated enough that the shills are going to get weeded out, and there will be a minimal population of them selling their Doris the Exploer, and Poomas.

As for farms... we went to this farm once, in MA. Great little farm stand, strangely, the fields were fenced off, and the ones I could see were fallow. There was a huge bounty in the store. One day on my way to work I saw a truck pull up to make a produce delivery.

Sweeet.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    jfurrrr wrote: »
    I am definitely sick of everything getting slapped with "gluten free" labels now. Very few people have a gluten intolerance anyway. But I can't help but laugh when I see a carbonated energy drink labeled "gluten free". It's basically just the "low fat!" / "no carbs!" of this decade.

I ordered tacos at a local restaurant near me and asked for corn tortillas instead of flour. The server responds "you mean gluten free tortillas?" No. I mean the corn tortillas that happen to be gluten free. Drives me crazy.

You could have just asked for the GMO tortillas. :drinker:
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    IToday, I can purchase beef, chicken, cheese, wine, honey, ALL THE FRUIT and VEG, and tons of other foods produced within 50 miles of me. Well, the wine sucks, that's true. But the rest of it is super tasty. A hot orange, 10 seconds from tree to my mouth? Local seafood? Grass fed beef? All amazing. Even better -- bison.

I'm curious where you live that both bison and oranges are within 50 miles of each other. I could be wrong, but I don't think that happened "naturally" anywhere in North America or Europe.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    IToday, I can purchase beef, chicken, cheese, wine, honey, ALL THE FRUIT and VEG, and tons of other foods produced within 50 miles of me. Well, the wine sucks, that's true. But the rest of it is super tasty. A hot orange, 10 seconds from tree to my mouth? Local seafood? Grass fed beef? All amazing. Even better -- bison.

I'm curious where you live that both bison and oranges are within 50 miles of each other. I could be wrong, but I don't think that happened "naturally" anywhere in North America or Europe.

California has bison, elk, and deer ranches all within the ag belt, so plausible.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options

I'm not sure where this idea came from that this is what orthorexia is. There's a huge difference between watching what you eat and being overcome with terror at the thought of eating anything you didn't cook yourself for fear of accidentally eating something "unclean". It controls your life and affects your relationships. Is that what "watching what you eat" is like for you?
  • Mr_Knight
    edited February 2015
    Options

California has bison, elk, and deer ranches all within the ag belt, so plausible.

I've no doubt its plausible - you can grow bananas in Siberia if you really want to - but bisons aren't native to the southern half of California where oranges are (naturally) found.

Anyway, it's good to have lots of local variety - the poster is lucky, however the situation developed. :drinker:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm glad that currently there's a hyper awareness of food production. I remember the arid desert that was the grocery store in the 1980s.

A red tomato, fresh from the farmer's truck. /thread Beats the nasty hothouse tomato hands down. Sadly, I am too far away from New Jersey to get New Jersey corn, but it's the best corn in the country.

And when I eat at restaurants, I get so many interesting food choices, things I've never heard of and am delighted to get to eat.

30 years ago? Not so much. Limited choice, limited imagination. Anyone remember aspic salad? Or when there were two apple choices -- MacIntosh and Granny Smith?

I don't think this hyper awareness about food is causing people to develop a mental illness, though. We are the only animal that is constantly aware of its own death, and that makes us anxious. For thousands of years, that anxiety was pretty stable in its focus: where is our next meal coming from? Today, we have the luxury to be anxious about anything - climate change, nuclear war, terrorism, food production, etc.

I agree with this, but as I said above, this is the same kind of added choice and market response that people seem to be bemoaning when they say that it's harder for us, since we don't eat like our great-grandparents. That's true, but in many ways the choices I have that my great-grandparents (or even parents, back when they were young) did not have are really good ones. A lot of this IS local, if more diverse local produce than was available where I grew up (especially given that I'm in a city), but not all of it is--I couldn't have ocean fish or bananas or coffee if we were limited to local.

I think people tended to eat better when I was a kid in large part because cultural limitations were still more present (we had supermarkets and McD's in the '80s, but my parents still insisted that most meals be cooked at home, that they be generally normal balanced meals, that something like McD or pizza be an occasional treat, not regular fare, and we drink water or milk not soda, etc.). None of this has gotten harder, just for whatever reason lots of people no longer feel the social pressure that probably reenforced them. However, in the social environment I currently live in I think there's probably a lot more pressure to feel your child a super healthy diet (depending on your particular understanding of that) than my parents with their "meat, potato, veg, milk" idea would have thought about, so to generalize to the US as a whole is just folly.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    On a related note, when I was strolling down the cereal aisle the other day, I noticed that Cheerios has a new product out: Cheerios Ancient Grains.

I was so delighted I bought some. Now I am going to tell everyone I am Paleo.

Yeah, I love this kind of marketing stuff. Too funny.
  • kristennoelle78
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Guess what. In order to not be overweight or obese and avoid related risks, you have to be a little weird, at least in our society. It is not exactly psychologically normal to count calories for a lifetime, yet that is what many will have to do to keep it off long-term.

It's an adjustment related to disorder, yes, except it's society that's disordered.

("Our" society = English-speaking countries, like the ones MFP users belong to, and some others.)

I totally agree!!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

What I like about the fetishization of farming, farm to table, agricoles, etc. is that there is now a huge population of fakers and takers that are making a ton of money from the naive. You see that a lot from craft Bourbon distillers now too. (Most sell the same Indiana factory bourbon as the others.)

What this means though, is that soon people will become educated enough that the shills are going to get weeded out, and there will be a minimal population of them selling their Doris the Exploer, and Poomas.

As for farms... we went to this farm once, in MA. Great little farm stand, strangely, the fields were fenced off, and the ones I could see were fallow. There was a huge bounty in the store. One day on my way to work I saw a truck pull up to make a produce delivery.

Sweeet.

A few months ago there was a new produce stand in town and everyone was raving about how great the "fresh, local, farmer's market veggies" were. So I went out there to see what all the fuss was about-- there were produce stickers on 90% of the merchandise. :indifferent:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options

Sweeet.

A few months ago there was a new produce stand in town and everyone was raving about how great the "fresh, local, farmer's market veggies" were. So I went out there to see what all the fuss was about-- there were produce stickers on 90% of the merchandise. :indifferent:
    Urban stands....... city folk are easy marks, and I bet it all looked pretty too.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    jfurrrr wrote: »
    I am definitely sick of everything getting slapped with "gluten free" labels now. Very few people have a gluten intolerance anyway. But I can't help but laugh when I see a carbonated energy drink labeled "gluten free". It's basically just the "low fat!" / "no carbs!" of this decade.

I ordered tacos at a local restaurant near me and asked for corn tortillas instead of flour. The server responds "you mean gluten free tortillas?" No. I mean the corn tortillas that happen to be gluten free. Drives me crazy.
    Not all corn tortillas are gluten free.

Most have wheat flour added to soften their texture.
    Not in my neck of the woods, but yes, I've seen that.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    I should figure out how to unfollow.

I've been unfriending people and telling them why.

I do this. Unfollowing is a coward's way out and I'll have no part of it. Either don't accept the request in the first place or tell them why they're out.

Lol. preach it!
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    The only "diet" you will ever hear me spout is IIFYM. I might also say "Move more, eat better" at times in reference to the IIFYM mantra. But to each their own. I've found what works for me and am sticking to it.
  • DeWoSa
    Options

I'm in the southeast US. Oranges are from China, so no, bison and oranges never naturally occur together. While it seems like oranges are natural and bison are imported, it's actually the reverse.

And in addition to bison farms and orange groves, the bayous are now rice paddies. It's a global culture!