What is the worst thing about being fat?

Options

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Not being able to fit into anything comfortably : clothes, chairs, I grew up skinny so I'm not used to so much cruelty at all.

It's not something you ever get used to
  • mrihel6615
    mrihel6615 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...
    I would say that my least favorite thing is having gone from being very small (4'10- 105 pounds)
    To around 142 pounds and running into old friends from high school, ex-boyfriends, etc.
    I have lost 20 pounds and only have about 10 more to get to my goal.
    I ran into my ex two days ago and couldn't stop thinking about what he would say once I left.
    Definitely that, and seeing pictures from before. yikes.
  • mrihel6615
    mrihel6615 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    As a former skinny person (I was not a fat child or teen), looking back at what I did to myself and feeling sad I let it happen. Yes, there were a few medical issues and a freak accident along the way, but for the most part this is the result of my choices. It was so easy to make bad decisions. Now it's hard to make good ones and I'm older with even more health issues.

This is too true
  • rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    A few things really, looking at body image in the mirror. no sexual confidence, walking up stairs was hard, clothes looked awful on me and health reasons my skin was bad etc being comfortable in clothes not having underwear chaffing etc
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    It changes. Today it's the seats at church. They're theater seats rather than pews and are not made for the plus sized crowd. I like the church otherwise.
  • DrWhoIsYerDad
    DrWhoIsYerDad Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Getting dressed in the morning
  • prettigirl01
    prettigirl01 Posts: 548 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    for me its clothes. I have not yet accepted the fact that I cant fit into a size 8 anymore so I still try to squeeze myself into an 8 which makes me feel and look miserable. I don't want to buy bigger sizes because I don't want to accept that I am a bigger person. its hard and it saddens me that I have allowed myself to get this way
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I always seem to sound like I'm in denial about how many years of excess weight affected me but I really did not experience most of the stuff named so far - and for that I feel lucky, in a way.

For me it was photos and the booths/seats/hotel bath tub not being a comfy fit. If it weren't for those things I probably would not have changed until I started having some type of medical issue related to my (then) morbid obesity.
  • leahle0004
    leahle0004 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses, guys. I want to add some more things that really bother me:
    - Not being able to fit in seats properly at old theatres and old cinemas, and on public transport.
    - The fear of cheap plastic chairs.
    - That feeling of dread just before you go to sit in a restaurant booth.
    - Being the one that no one wants to sit next to, because they don't want to feel your thigh fat.
    - Not being able to climb stairs or walk more than a hundred metres or so without huffing and puffing.
    - Not wanting to sit on the floor because it's too hard (and embarrassing) to get up.
    - Not being able to shave your legs, cut your toenails, or tie your shoelaces without feeling suffocated.
    - Not being able to see your privates in the shower without pushing your belly out of the way.
    - Having a closet full of clothes, but not fitting into any of them.
    - Being the fat friend, and not being able to keep up with your skinny friends.
    - Being self-conscious when going to the beach, the public pools, or water parks.
    - Being afraid of going on rides at theme parks, in case you don't fit.
    - Feeling hot and sweaty whenever it's over 24 degrees (75 degrees fahrenheit).
    - Being the fattest person (by far) in your family.
    - Having to shop in plus-size stores.

And the list goes on and on.[/quote

All of this.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    My jiggly body is causing a disturbance in the force. I'm pretty sure Luke is mad at me.
  • newki
    newki Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    The fact that I have to think about thin privilege. Or that "you have a pretty face" comment
  • kenpocop174
    kenpocop174 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My he worst thing is the high blood pressure and low sex drive
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Being treated like a second-class human being.
  • cmeher527
    cmeher527 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I try to remember these words: "Losing weight is hard...being fat is hard...pick your hard"
  • smr09012
    smr09012 Posts: 42 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hands down, it's airplane seats. And the look that someone gives you when they're walking down the aisle and they realize they have to sit next to you.
  • briannarios60
    briannarios60 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    For me it is walking into a store and thinkin how cute something it but thinking to myself " thats for skinny girls it will not look good on me" and also thinking how am I going to feel in the summer when my son wants to go to the beach and I will feel like a beached whale.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Pain. The more I weigh, the more things hurt, to the point I just start to accept them as normal. That's not ok.
  • steffer20
    steffer20 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    The worst thing about being fat, it just doesn't feel good lol. And your old clothes that you used to be able to fit into don't fit, and ur like ugh really. Being fit feels amazing.
  • Joelley1007
    Joelley1007 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I hate pictures of myself. I always look so huge in them!!! Shopping is another downer. I'll bring all this stuff into the dressing room just to leave with nothing. Everything looks so cute, but either doesn't fit me or look right or shows my fat. I love to exercise and I do it 5 times a week just to eat mad junk food back. Finally changing my ways, Sick of being over weight. I went to the doctors last week and because Of my weight and height I am considered obese. My boyfriend always tells me I look fine and I don't need to lose weight , but I know he's just being nice. He's supportive , but tells me I'm fine the way I am.