Guys, stop with the orthorexia already!

Options

Replies

• jadumz
    jadumz Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    DeWoSa wrote: »
    jadumz wrote: »
    My skin flares up if I eat too much gluten. So I avoid it. I don't go out of my way to follow it, I don't force anyone else to go out of their way to help me either.
    I'm not being awkward by opting for gluten free pasta I just prefer my face when it's not covered in spots. People give me so much *kitten* for it, and this post is literally the same. Uggghh

Do you mean like rosecea? My skin gets really red and hot after I eat certain foods.

Nooo like if I had a lot of gluten one day the next couple of days my face will be in full on teen pimple breakout mode! I'm 25 definitely should be over that ha doctors have said it's just an intolerance but I daren't say that I'm intolerant to gluten on here hahaha
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Why not? Sounds like you have an actual physical issue, which is nothing like the people this thread refers to.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    JoanaMHill wrote: »

Next you people will be saying labeling food as "Sugar Free" or "May Contain Nuts" is orthorexic.... I mean heaven forbid we save some poor nut allergy suffers life, or worse still - we stop a diabetic having a hypo....!!

Sugar-free gummy bears should have never been invented and I'd like to look into the mind of the person who needs "may contain nuts" on their huge canister of mixed nuts.

Peanuts.jpg
    timtam_may_contain_traces_of_peanuts_and_human_flesh.jpg
  • jadumz
    Options
    Well I choose to not explain it to people so if I ever mention gluten free I get the tuts and the eye rolling. I think even if I explained id still get the same response!
  • ana3067
    Options
    DeWoSa wrote: »
    My skin flares up if I eat too much gluten. So I avoid it. I don't go out of my way to follow it, I don't force anyone else to go out of their way to help me either.
    I'm not being awkward by opting for gluten free pasta I just prefer my face when it's not covered in spots. People give me so much *kitten* for it, and this post is literally the same. Uggghh

Do you mean like rosecea? My skin gets really red and hot after I eat certain foods.

Nooo like if I had a lot of gluten one day the next couple of days my face will be in full on teen pimple breakout mode! I'm 25 definitely should be over that ha doctors have said it's just an intolerance but I daren't say that I'm intolerant to gluten on here hahaha

Probably not actual zits but simply a hive-like reaction that looks like zits.

(sorry, had severe acne for 1-2 years, acne discussions get me annoyed lol).
  • ana3067
    Options
    Why not? Sounds like you have an actual physical issue, which is nothing like the people this thread refers to.
    Agreed. I also eat GF because for me it causes gastrointestinal issues that are problematic enough to interfere with my daily life. I don't say I'm Celiac but I will say that I am sensitive or intolerant and that it causes a negative physical reaction if I am asked about it. But I don't actually go around wearing a badge about it or something, so no one really cares.
  • jadumz
    Options
    No no definitely spots! I've had terrible skin since forever but someone suggested I try giving up different foods to see if it was a food intolerance instead of hormones. Still battling scars and gluten-free haters haha
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    JoanaMHill wrote: »

Next you people will be saying labeling food as "Sugar Free" or "May Contain Nuts" is orthorexic.... I mean heaven forbid we save some poor nut allergy suffers life, or worse still - we stop a diabetic having a hypo....!!

Sugar-free gummy bears should have never been invented and I'd like to look into the mind of the person who needs "may contain nuts" on their huge canister of mixed nuts.

Peanuts.jpg
    timtam_may_contain_traces_of_peanuts_and_human_flesh.jpg

0408f13d048ff92f9fe1caed55855483.jpg

Tim Tams are totally worth it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I am definitely sick of everything getting slapped with "gluten free" labels now. Very few people have a gluten intolerance anyway. But I can't help but laugh when I see a carbonated energy drink labeled "gluten free". It's basically just the "low fat!" / "no carbs!" of this decade.

Here's a particular Gluten Free labeling bash....

Statistically 1% of the UK population (approximately 650,000 people) have Coeliacs or wheat allergies; upto 6% of the British population (approximately 3.9 million people) have Non-Coeliac Gluten Sensitivity....

I'd say that's pretty darn high considering the overall population of the UK is estimated to be 65 million people....!!

As I said, I for one of MANY people am very grateful to the UK Food Standards Agency for enforcing the strict labeling of our foods, it helps to save my cousin's life (she has a serious nut allergy); it makes my step dad's & an uncle's life a lot easier (they are diabetic); it helps me and my Aunty maintain our dignity as we're both Coeliac....!!
    Aaah, I see what you're saying, but I agree with the sentiment of the post. They're not bashing gluten free labels in general, but rather those that are clearly unnecessary and only printed in order to tie into the fad. Like gluten free steak. Or gluten free milk.

Right--it's like pasta being labeled "fat free" which was a thing in the 80s and 90s, if memory serves. I actually do think that with gluten there's more of a risk of it being in products that you wouldn't expect (like the "gluten free" frozen yogurt place that just opened near me probably has a point since I guess you can't assume frozen yogurt is, as I would have--although I mocked that place in some other thread here because it's also all about being vegan and non GMO and every other thing that's trendy in my neighborhood).

I am happy for celiacs that the trendiness of being anti gluten has resulted in lots more products that are gluten free, but that doesn't change the fact that it's an obvious trendy thing that the market is responding to. I don't think they are just being caring about celiac disease.
    Vegan yogurt? Ew.

Apparently made of coconut milk.

It was incredibly confusing when it first opened, since it was not clear that some products were vegan and some were gluten free--it looked like everything was all of the above, which is apparently not the case.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    bw_conway wrote: »
    I think thoroughly labeling foods is a great thing for society, the more details the better...

I'm not so sure about that. Don't get me wrong - I completely oppose anything that limits labeling opportunities - I just don't think it makes a pigeon ****s worth of difference in the health outcomes of the vast majority of people.

Without understanding the mechanisms, the labels are just more numbers that don't really illuminate anything.

At least in North America, we've turned into a culture of gluttons where it's not socially acceptable to tell even family members or close friends "You're eating too damn much".

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm usually on the more information is always good or at least can't hurt train, but one example that supports the contrary are all the weird and completely confusing labels like "organic" and "natural" and "vegetarian" and "cage free" and so on, of which the eggs are the worst. My understanding is that with the exception of "organic" (which I'm cynical about for other reasons) the rest mean basically nothing and can be completely misleading (and of course chickens allowed to eat like chickens do would not be vegetarian, as they'd be eating bugs).
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I think thoroughly labeling foods is a great thing for society, the more details the better...

I'm not so sure about that. Don't get me wrong - I completely oppose anything that limits labeling opportunities - I just don't think it makes a pigeon ****s worth of difference in the health outcomes of the vast majority of people.

Without understanding the mechanisms, the labels are just more numbers that don't really illuminate anything.

At least in North America, we've turned into a culture of gluttons where it's not socially acceptable to tell even family members or close friends "You're eating too damn much".

The only way to increase the nutritional literacy in this country is to have that information available when the time is right for people- I think things are trending toward enlightenment, albeit slowly at times
  • Mr_Knight
    edited February 2015
    Options

The only way to increase the nutritional literacy in this country is to have that information available when the time is right for people- I think things are trending toward enlightenment, albeit slowly at times

The point is I was trying to get to is that trying to increase nutritional literacy is the wrong approach - if that's the path we're going to take, we've already failed.

The answer lies elsewhere.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I bet they're made of quinoa and spelt! lol. too funny.

What I like about the fetishization of farming, farm to table, agricoles, etc. is that there is now a huge population of fakers and takers that are making a ton of money from the naive. You see that a lot from craft Bourbon distillers now too. (Most sell the same Indiana factory bourbon as the others.)

What this means though, is that soon people will become educated enough that the shills are going to get weeded out, and there will be a minimal population of them selling their Doris the Exploer, and Poomas.

As for farms... we went to this farm once, in MA. Great little farm stand, strangely, the fields were fenced off, and the ones I could see were fallow. There was a huge bounty in the store. One day on my way to work I saw a truck pull up to make a produce delivery.

Sweeet.

A few months ago there was a new produce stand in town and everyone was raving about how great the "fresh, local, farmer's market veggies" were. So I went out there to see what all the fuss was about-- there were produce stickers on 90% of the merchandise. :indifferent:
    Urban stands....... city folk are easy marks, and I bet it all looked pretty too.
    Truth, it's a pogue desire to purchase the elevated coolness of buying from something "special". It's the same reason why Apple does so well.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    snikkins wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    I should figure out how to unfollow.

I've been unfriending people and telling them why.

I do this. Unfollowing is a coward's way out and I'll have no part of it. Either don't accept the request in the first place or tell them why they're out.

I would normally agree with you but I have crazy family that live to start drama over nothing and it just isn't worth it to me to have to deal with them over something as small as Facebook. I reserve that for the big stuff. ;)

Fair point.
    That's been my challenge as of late. When kin exposes the fact that they're racist... I dunno, not sure what to do. I really want to tell them what's up, but then I'm pissing in the familial soup pot.

Conflicted, which is hilarious, I'm never conflicted about what I decide to say to people.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

The point is I was trying to get to is that trying to increase nutritional literacy is the wrong approach - if that's the path we're going to take, we've already failed.

But that label information is good for the people who do care to have. For some, because to eat the wrong food could kill them. For others, they just may be sensitive to certain ingredients or have decided not to eat them for other reasons. It does help them.

You can't help people who refuse to help themselves. If people don't take personal responsibility, nothing society does can help them. I agree, cultural issues are part of the problem. But the culture only changes as the individuals in it do. Culture may be part of the explanation, but it is not an excuse.

• Mr_Knight
    edited February 2015
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »

But that label information is good for the people who do care to have.

Of course. That's why I said I would oppose any legislation that put limits on (honest) labelling.

You can't help people who refuse to help themselves.

That's just a terribly dismissive/elitist way of looking at the problem, and at people, IMO.

• rcottonrph1
    Options
    I think everyone needs to find what works for them. And how strict you follow it depends on your goals. You can be serious about what you put in your body without it being an eating disoder
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »

But that label information is good for the people who do care to have.

Of course. That's why I said I would oppose any legislation that put limits on (honest) labelling.

You can't help people who refuse to help themselves.

That's just a terribly dismissive/elitist way of looking at the problem, and at people, IMO.
    Not at all. It's the truth. When I was at my heaviest, and in the process of getting there, I really had nobody to blame but myself. There were plenty of "excuses" if I wanted them...I was working crazy hours, tired, ate takeout at work every night, etc...but some...no, MOST... of my coworkers had exactly the same schedule and made better lifestyle choices. Healthier takeout choices for dinner, didn't eat too much of the food and candy people brought to the office, and went to the gym almost every day. I am an educated person. It's not like I didn't know that eating too much and not moving enough is a recipe for obesity. It's really not that complicated.

But until I made up my mind to change my habits, nothing in the world could have helped me. It's really that simple.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I get bombarded by people selling Plexus on FB and touting it's many benefits for weight loss etc. Yet many of them are overweight or obese!!! Not really a good advertisement for their "amazing" weight loss product....