WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2105

Options

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Sylvia - I'm glad that you are home! I spent 5 days and nights in the hospital with my DH last October for a bowel obstruction I know what you went through was not fun. Back home will make a big difference in your recovery.

Pipcd34 - you are a trooper!

Barb from Louisiana - the seminar was great! It keeps our relationship with God and each other strong and exciting!

Sassy - sorry for your loss.

Have a great night everyone!

Mary from Minnesota

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,379 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of the 30 Day Butt Lift DVD. Now I know that I need to do three sections of these certain days and that'll equal an hour. The plan for tomorrow is to do some yoga, hold my plank, then take the extremepump class.

We're going to have mahjongg at my house tomorrow night (not sure why the other gal isn't having it) then Tuesday night I'll be hosting Rummikub.

Joyce
    - safe travels on your way to Sylvia's. Congrats on that NSV.

Sylvia - yea, you're home! I know you'll get better faster.

Barb from S. LA
    - prayers from NC

dogbydog
    - WTG on the loss. Your right, you CAN do this

Jenny - welcome

Sue in SD
    - love your paraphrased prayer

Lesley
    - so sorry you're not feeling well. Sending good vibes for Mildred beagle. You're a gem.

Remember the gal who had the detached retina and then it redetached? Well, she just called, she thinks she may have detached it again. Said that she sneezed really violently. I have to admit, I didn't have much comfort with her MD, but as long as she was OK with him, I figure it's OK. Anyway, a friend is going to take her to charlotte tomorrow to have it looked at by another MD. I'm thinking that she is being (understandably) overly-paranoid. Since we're having mahjongg here tomorrow night, I told her if she needs to, she can come here, even if it's just to chill out. Since she has an automatic, vince will drive her home and I'll follow in my car. I do hope that's all it is.

Well, it's pretty late. Sorry for anyone I missed. The next few days are going to be somewhat hectic.

Michele in NC
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Nice walk with my dog - he was happy he got to check out all his favourite stops. Cleaned the deck off with the leaf blower. Made dinner.... 20 minutes on the rebounder with 2 lb weights....And I am so over the crap I ate today!! Never going to eat at A&W again!!

And now I am watching the Grammy's....

Goodnight everyone

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sylvia: I’m so happy that you’re home. Yay! Your DH is a good man--definitely a keeper.

Sue: I love your variation on the Serenity Prayer.

Rori: “Savor more, guzzle less” is wonderful.

We went to see the Hobbit part 3 at our local theater today. I really enjoyed it. I seldom like movies that are based on books I’ve read and loved, but this one was a pleasure.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

February Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png

• OregonBekah
    OregonBekah Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Back to logging after being off again and on again for the past 2+ years. I need to stay here so I can get healthy.
    From beautiful, rainy Oregon.
  • noexcuses118
    Options
    Darn, I was so busy yesterday I forgot to log in, so my 19-day streak is over. Oh, well, I stayed on plan, and that's the important thing, right? It's so much easier to keep to a routine during the week when I have to work. Hope everyone has a restful night's sleep.

NIghty-night.
    CP in So. Fla.
  • hoff2002
    hoff2002 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Dogbydog123: Congratulations on the weight loss. Being half way to your goal is awesome! Sorry about the increase in Cymbalta. I hope that it eases your pain.
    Sylvia
    : Yippee! You’re going home!
    Bumblebeejec: I love that prayer! Thanks for posting!
    Jennbya: Welcome! I hope you come often and that you grow to enjoy this community as much as I do.
    Skuehn48: I like the paraphrase of the serenity prayer.
    Pipcd34: So glad you are feeling better!
    Sylvia: So glad you are home. Your doctor is right. Don’t wait until the pain is too bad before taking your pain medicine. You won’t be able to heal as well.

Thanks to all for the prayers and well wishes for my neighbor. It's hard to see her family going through all of this.

Did ok today with eating, but didn't exercise. I haven't felt well the last couple of days so I've just taken it easy. My DD#2 wanted to eat at Texas Longhorn tonight. I actually managed to eat within my calories! Yay!

Have to go to bed. Tomorrow is a work day!

Barb from South Louisiana

Goals for 2015:
    * Continue to drink at least 8 glasses of water per day
    * Do something nice for someone every day, even if it's just to give a compliment
    * Exercise at least 3x/week. Start out slowly and work up gradually
    * Focus on eating healthy one meal at a time/one day at a time

75142811.png

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Michele your friends doctor is right. A violent sneeze can make that repaired detached retina go detached again. Hope she can finally get it fixed

Sylvia so glad you are home but now the hard part is on you and DH. You will do OK on the getting up and moving part but keeping the dogs from bothering the incision, overdoing things and finding that fine line between to much pain medicine and enough to take care of the pain is now up to you. A lot of those pain medicines can cause constipation. Sure glad Meg and I didn't have to kidnap you. I don't know where we would have taken you and my IV skills were bad when I was working and I quit in 1999.

Bad news on the home front. I have discovered that I really like this new cereal I am eating instead of the honey/almond/grain clusters in my yogurt. So Now I am eating extra servings of that. I need to find some kind of texture/fiber to put in my yogurt at night. But I am leaving DH pop tarts alone. Church was good. We finally have all of our choir members back from the sick and the 'I don't think the choir need me list'. There was a women's conference in Indianapolis this week.I think it was called Women transformed. In the church I was going to before I just stopped going to church always went to these kind of conferences. I guess I was to shy to ask what the age of the women who were going from my church so I didn't go. But there were a varied age group. Actually all of them were choir members so I would have enjoyed going. Also my old church always booked the rooms 4 ladies to a room and back in those days most rooms were double beds. I just don't like sharing a double bed with another women. But my church booked 2 to a room and the were queen size beds and had a couch also. But I always wonder about my MS and keeping up with the group. I remember one time the conference was in the stadium that the basketball team in Chicago plays. Yep, I'm dumb enough I don't remember their names. Our seats were on the very top row. There was no way I could go up and down the steps to go eat lunch. I did make one potty break and that about did me in. The one good thing about our seats was that since the seats are so close together and narrow, we were able to sit up against the wall at the top of the stadium. I have enough neuropathy in my feet and legs it is difficult for me to go see a movie.

JOyce, indiana
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,663 Member
    Options
    Feeling better, still need to eat more, barely had 606 calories today, I had 200 calories more when I felt worse, and I burned 300+ more calories today. I gotta do better tomorrow.
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Syvia - I'm glad you're home. Now you can heal surrounded by love.

It's been a long day
    -Sharon
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,778 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    getting snow and possible ice here in connecticut, every monday seems there is another storm..
    will go to work, Tom left for work at 3:15 and hoping he gets to work safetly.
    we have been going crazy trying to find stuff to redo the bathroom. the house was built in 1960 and the master bath is 5' x 9.5' so small we are trying to find a vanity that fits that doesnt need to be special ordered... and I am going bonkers trying to find one.. did some cooking. went to see DFIL yesterday ,got his pills and a little bit of breakfast in him.....
    Tom went in on Saterday to feed him and he refused everything,,
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, so glad you're home and being pampered!
    Thanks to everyone for the job sympathy and extra hugs. Need both.

Hope we all have a good day. :flowerforyou:
    Cynthia
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Please can I join you? Just started, need to lose at least 20lb and have hit that fat, 50, invisible slump that I've heard so many women go through. Really happy to meet some inspirational women online as I'm feeling a bit blue about everything and need to get out of the rut as soon as possible.
  • mo2go
    mo2go Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Morning, all? I have come back to the fold and really need to find support. The phrase which describes me is 'I know what I should do'. I am fab at giving advice and support but I am hopeless at taking it and working out what will work for me, so would love to be on your time.

Getting my thyroid checked again tomorrow but since being on Thyroxin I am averaging a weight gain of 7lb a year and thats more on a up and down curve thoughout the year and then it settles. Weight will just not shift. Loads of help needed thanks.
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    0b9q8vlqom6a.jpg

I think this is a picture of my "Avon Graveyard". No time to chat, just getting ready for work, and DS said he is sick.

Take care and more later.

Terri in Milwaukee
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    It's a rain Monday in Georgia!

My DIL, her mom, and the two grandkids came for lunch after church yesterday. I fixed pork chops, steamed cabbage, green beans, rice & gravy, and two kinds of corn bread. Feeling proud that I only ate one chop and the greens.

We went with in-laws to a hibachi restaurant Saturday night and I decided that's not for me. I don't like sitting with folks I don't know and it is very noisy.

Up a pound after eating out 4 times last week. Will keep myself at home this week even if DH wants to go out! LOL

Hope everyone has a safe and happy day.

Carol ~ GA
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies :flowerforyou:

Sylvia :) So glad you`re at home!!! Take it easy, rest and soak up all that puppy love! I know the fur babies are so happy to see you <3 !

Cynthia :) Hugs <3 !!!

Michele :) I hope you got to spend some time outdoors yesterday, what a nice little taste of spring in Feb.! Hope your friend is okay! Have fun hosting this week!

Carol in GA.:) Your lunch sounds awesome!!! It`s supposed to rain here in NC today too.

Alison :) More snow :noway:. I know you`re ready for spring! Stay safe!

Heather :) What a gorgeous pic!!!! Did you love riding on the elephant?

Pip :) Hope you`re feeling better today :flowerforyou:!

I would love to chat longer, just don`t have the time :'( !

Hope everyone has a marvelous Monday!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in NC
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    wjgwl0l00wgb.jpg

YannieJannie :) Congrats to you and your daughter!!! I took this pic of the gorgeous sunrise a couple of weeks ago! I know you enjoy the beauty of sunrises and sunsets!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,322 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    Missed yesterday because of wifi, but back on track now in the lobby of our hotel listening to the piano. I much prefer live music to the canned stuff.
    This hotel is one of the old fashioned "British" type from the colonial days. We have a huge bedroom and a very old fashioned bath suite, but we like it. We are at 7, 000 ft here so can be chilly, but we have a good heater in the room.
    Today I went on my "big walk", which was more of a scramble and rock climb than a walk. 6 miles of scrambling! Was I glad of my fitness programme! Those of you with "knees" will understand how nervous I was of twisting it, so I was veeerrry careful where I put my feet and DH had to pull me up the larger boulders, but I got round in 3 and a half hours. We had to get up at 5.15, leave at 6am with a breakfast box and then wait in a huge traffic jam at the entrance to the park. Great walk though, with fantastic flora and birds. We saw a waterfall, a vertiginous cliff with a 2,700 foot drop and clouds called World's End and lots of other people! I think some of them might not have made it all the way round! I certainly wouldn't have three years ago. Or even ten years ago!
    We relaxed this afternoon. :blush: Then we had a cappucino in the hotel coffe bar - our first coffee in Sri Lanka!
    Yesterday we went on a long train ride through the jungle and the tea plantations with the most amazing views of distant mountains. Again we had to get up early to get tickets. Our driver had to give a bribe to obtain first class air conditioned seats! It was rather long at 4 hours, but it truly gave a picture of central Sri Lanka and the wonderful untouched scenery. Then the humps of manicured tea bushes all in rows. Sad to think the British shot thousands of elephants to create the plantations. The leading light in this massacre was himself killed by an elephant! Yeah!
    We have a more restful day tomorrow. Botanical gardens and tour of the ;"British" post office etc.
    We have found a nicer, cheaper way to eat in the hotel at the 24 hr dining. We had a very nice rice and curry there last night. Of course the French were there as they prefer proper service to buffet as we do. Bravo!
    Love to all. Love to Sylvia, Pip and the other sickoes! ! ! :laugh:

Heather in Nuwara Eliya in Sri Lanka x x x x (raining)
    27681614.png
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,081 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Good morning,

Barb prayers for your neighbor.

I agree with Joyce about the sneeze detaching the retina. When I had a torn retina I was warned about that. I was told the jelly like substance in our eyes stiffens as we age and sometimes it pulls as it stiffens and that can causes a retina to tear or detach. In my case I think it was a combination of age, a recent bad fall, and antibiotics. For whatever reasons antibiotic can make your ligaments less supple. Another time I was on antibiotics I developed tendonitis. If I need to go on antibiotics I do but I know this is a potential side effect.

Sylvia glad you are home too. Love how wonderful Hubby was in cleaning the house.

Deedee :drinker: gorgeous sunrise. Thanks for sharing.

Heather your trip sounds amazing!

After visiting that home/museum on Saturday I looked up Garfield. He was shot by a man who was upset he didn't get a post from Garfield. Turns out he probably could have survived but the doctors not knowing about germs and their attempt to be right did not serve him well. He died from infection to his wounds. His death united the North and South who were still hurting from the Civil War. You hear about Lincoln and Kennedy but not much about Garfield. Although medicine has come along way, I still believe we are the best stewards of our bodies because we live in them not the doctors.

2015 word: Strength

Just because you see the hook does not mean you have to bite.

:heart: MNMargaret