What is the worst thing about being fat?

Options

Replies

• Jasonmylis
    Jasonmylis Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    It's a toss-up between the way my clothes fit and cling to my fat, or getting winded easily just bending over to tie my shoes because of the pressure on my fat belly. It's not as bad now that I have lost 52 pounds, but it will not be a problem at all after I lose the last 50 :)
  • berlynnwall
    berlynnwall Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I thought of another thing - when I've been working really hard and lost a good amount of weight, but I still look fat. That is freaking discouraging. And no one outside knows you lost weight so they still give you that look out in public, like your a lazy idiot with no self control.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Being asked when you're gonna have your baby.... No, not pregnant, just fat :(
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    PeachyFit wrote: »
    Missing that feeling of comfort in my own skin that comes with being thin and fit. Instead, feeling awkward and unhealthy.
    and also feeling that I had no right to talk about health related topics because I was fat so...well, I can't actually explain why, but I just felt I couldn't.

This definitely is annoying! I remember being invited to a party at my highest weight and when the guys and gals separated, the girls all huddled in two groups (4 per group), from which I was physically excluded, and started making fun of fat people and their attempts to eat healthy. I hated feeling excluded and couldn't bring myself into the conversations because no one wants to hear the morbidly obese girl defend fat people. I was worried that I would be laughed at.

My other peeve is going shopping with my MIL and being convinced to buy certain items. Then afterward, someone would inevitably take pics of me, and I'd realize how in looked like I was basically wearing large bags that just made me look even more like a big blob.

The worst was when she talked me down from a bikini to a tankini that layers out. It's supposed to hide any bumps, but it actually excentuates the top part of my B shaped tummy and doesn't show my well defined waist at all. I've dropped four clothing sizes since the start of my journey, but it actually makes me look bigger than my starting weight.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Reading these posts just makes me wonder about all of the self-hatred surrounded by being overweight. I mean, even from very young ages, if you watch, you can see how children don't like the "fat kid" and don't want to be around him/her. Why is this? Do they learn it from their parents? The media? Or is it something ingrained in us as human beings that we are not attracted to people who are overweight or obese? I just wonder. I can understand all of the things people hate such as not being healthy, getting out of breath, joints hurting, not fitting into small chairs on planes, etc and not fitting into the clothes you like. But all the self-loathing makes me kind of sad. Can we just love ourselves no matter what our size and lose weight and get healthy because of all of the other reasons? Can we give ourselves a great big hug and squeeze- hug your belly fat!! Love yourself, no matter what size you are, because you know what? You are SO much more than your appearance. You are a complex, multidimensional person with their own talents, interests, abilities and brilliant minds (talking to all the self-haters out there). And yes, you can be healthy even if considered "overweight' by the charts the doctors have, just like you can be unhealthy and be thin. When someone is too thin and bordering on unhealthily thin- we tell them- "honey you need help" or "please see a counselor." If someone is unhealthily overweight- we (as a society) look at them with disgust and assume so many things about their personalities that are just not true a lot of times- like they must be lazy, selfish and gluttonous, etc. Accept yourself; love yourself; lose to feel better and lower health risks and exercise to feel great and have fun. That's all- end of my soap box rant.
  • Always_Smiling_D
    Always_Smiling_D Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Ufffff... I despise the word FAT and I have never been obese myself. I tip just enough above healthy to be overweight.
  • RogueinSF
    RogueinSF Posts: 20
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I don't think this holds true for everyone as I have seen overweight people who carry themselves very well, but I am not one of them and I missed moving with grace and agility. I gained a lot of weight (50 lbs) while looking for work after grad school (so depressed), and when I was initially trying to lose it I became so frustrated by the restrictions on my body. I was in great shape prior and put on the weight super fast, so I really noticed the limitations in my ability to do yoga postures, get up from sitting on the floor, walk up hills...also, my feet started to hurt when I woke up in the morning after I hiked. I thought that was from age, but it turns out it was likely from the extra weight as my feet feel fine now (lost 30 lbs so far). Of course the frosting will be wearing the clothes that have been untouched in my closet for the past two and half years, but even the clothes can't beat the feeling of having my body function well and my pain free feet.
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I mean, even from very young ages, if you watch, you can see how children don't like the "fat kid" and don't want to be around him/her. Why is this? Do they learn it from their parents? The media? Or is it something ingrained in us as human beings that we are not attracted to people who are overweight or obese?

Perhaps you have seen things that I haven't. But from what I've seen, children generally don't 'see' much of the physical side of people. color / size / disability - unless its something really new to them that they might find scary. Children generally exclude 'weaker' children because they can 'feel' the child's vulnerability / insecurity.

If children are excluding a 'fat kid', my guess is that that child hasn't got the same 'strength' or 'confidence' that other children have. I don't know why this would be - perhaps they are aware of their own size, or perhaps they are growing up in an environment that doesn't foster their confidence, or perhaps they are weaker because they are just not as active as other children.

But from what I've seen, children - I mean very young children - don't tend to see things like that.

• bright_arrow
    bright_arrow Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Bringing clothes into a dressing room only to hand them all back to the attendant because none of them fit.

Shopping with someone and when they ask what size you wear and you tell them, grudgingly and quietly and quickly, and they pull it off the rack and look at you in disbelief: "Really? This looks awfully big!" Extremely mortifying. It's like "Yeah, well, I *am* that big, it's my body believe me I know!"

Wanting to dress up for date night/special occasion and knowing it will take multiple trips to find that one dress because you can't walk into most stores and buy straight off the rack.

Getting dressed/undressed in front of your significant other and hoping they're not staring you down and seeing the fat rolls/cellulite on your thighs/stretch marks on your stomach you're trying vainly to suck in knowing it makes the marks stand out even more.

Restaurant booths being small and your boobs hanging over the edge of the table.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    My "worst thing" was my health. I was sick and miserable :( Mostly digestive issues, but my weight also impacted my joints and aggravated previous injuries.
  • onebookwonder
    onebookwonder Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    " ...then I will think about finding someone who deserves me, instead of just settling for someone who will have me"

AMEN!!!
  • TheEats
    TheEats Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I hate that I am constantly aware that I am obese and that I see the world, the people around me, in the light of this looming fact.
  • dbkyser
    dbkyser Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Great topic, when read with a possitive attitude can be inspiring.
  • cdcruizer05
    cdcruizer05 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    for me not being as healthy as i should be. Being limited to clothes, to certain activities. I don't like how i don't feel sexy or wanted by women. I miss being able to ride roller coaster lol.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    For me it was digestive pain.
  • DannoDog
    DannoDog Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Not being able to walk very far without my back, hips and legs aching. I hate having to buy my clothes at Big and Tall stores.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    The worst thing about being fat? Summer!

Dread, dread, dread it. I'm one of those woman who refuses to show her arms or legs because I know how unattractive they are. So summer comes with picnics and barbecues and I'm the only one not in shorts and a tank top.

The list is endless, but summer is a personal hell for me.
  • unlikelyathlete
    unlikelyathlete Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    At my heaviest, I think it was being sleepy all the time. I would go home to sleep during lunch. I also hated having to lunge forward a few times to reach down and tie my shoes. I managed to avoid pictures for the most part, but I have a select few that I saved just so I would remember-being the "floating face" in a group picture by hiding my body behind other people, a bridesmaid picture of me. I looked like someone had simply inflated me like a Macy's parade balloon. I was not comfortable. And, yeah, I'm one of those that didn't wear it well, either.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I haven't read the thread yet, but at my fattest, I couldn't paint my toenails. Humiliating but true.

ETA: there were many awful things about being hugely obese...I just thought of one of the many things I couldn't do comfortably. At work, just passing through...
  • 9Rounder
    9Rounder Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Lower back pain and knee pain from carrying around extra weight. Not being able to go into my own closet and wear everything in there. I wear about 10 percent of my clothes because the other 90 percent don't fit me.