Fine line between counting/logging and obsessing?

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Verdenal wrote: »
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated...

This is ridiculous.

I disagree. Many people who can't commit, who have no discipline, are the first to jump up and accuse someone else of being obsessive. We live in a country of lazy, unrealistic people who have no idea what it takes to change a complex behavior.

Some may be (as has been noted already)...but is it true for all, or even the majority? I would call you on the fact that it is.
  • Sarauk2sf
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Ladyhawk71 wrote: »
    Hey, if you want to talk obession, lets talk about me eating a box of chocolates by myself and drinking 5 cups of coffee a day~ If calories are what we need to watch, in order to stay a little healthier, and live a little longer~ than hey~ I'm down with being obsessive! :) Fight on and don't worry about haters; they are usually just jealous of your control over your obessions. B)<3

Or they could be people genuinely concerned.

Also, not a good example in this context - its about whether the 'obsession' has control over you, not the other way round. [Not saying it does in the OPs case...and no-one here can either]
  • ninayoungdog617
    ninayoungdog617 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I find that using the app to track is a new healthy habit. I'm not boring people by talking about every calorie I consume. I just log it and I'm ready to eat. If your friends/family take issue with it then maybe you could express how important their support is to you.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

This is ridiculous.

I disagree. Many people who can't commit, who have no discipline, are the first to jump up and accuse someone else of being obsessive. We live in a country of lazy, unrealistic people who have no idea what it takes to change a complex behavior.

I have commitment and I have discipline while still believing that there are some people out there that are obsessive and take things way to far. Of course I'm not saying everyone or even most but there sure are plenty. Am I lazy?

Must be! It has to be one or the other - no shades of grey...and I am not talking about that ridiculous book.

• KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Wow, after reading this thread I have found out that I am lazy and ignorant...

I was diagnosed with OCD when I was a kid and have struggled with TRUE obsessive behaviormy life throughout . Logging and over restricting calories was a major obsession for me. For some people it is a fine line. I saw that logging was a problem so I made adjustments and started weaning myself away from it. I don't have to log to maintain anymore and I am mentally healthier.
  • hippygirl325
    hippygirl325 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people get the "obsessed" label who use MFP, and hey, maybe to a lot of people it is "obsessive" to log everything you put into your mouth...

ob·sess
    əbˈses/Submit
    verb
    past tense: obsessed; past participle: obsessed
    preoccupy or fill the mind of (someone) continually, intrusively, and to a troubling extent.
    "he was obsessed with the theme of death"
    synonyms: preoccupy, be uppermost in someone's mind, prey on someone's mind, prey on, possess, haunt, consume, plague, torment, hound, bedevil, beset, take control of, control, take over, have a hold on, rule, eat up, have a grip on, grip More
    (of a person) be preoccupied with or constantly worrying about something.
    "her husband, who is obsessing about the wrong she has done him"

In some ways, maybe it is. Someone may be troubled with how much time you spend logging your food, but does it trouble you? It doesn't trouble me. It seems to trouble my boyfriend, but I think it's just because 1. He's not used to it. and 2. We need to focus on spending more quality time together in general. Before MFP I was obsessed with binge eating every night, and THAT was troubling to me and it consumed my life. Logging and paying attention to the nutrients and portions I'm eating is important to me and makes me feel actually much more free from obsessing about food. I log it, I eat it, I enjoy it, I forget it. I don't constantly dwell on what I'm gonna eat, what I'm eating, and then feeling horrible about what I ate afterwards anymore. I'm not constantly worried about eating and how it's gonna effect me. I know if I eat within my macros and calories I will lose weight and continue to improve myself. That's freedom, not obsession.
  • DayByDayGetStronger
    Options
    Is it really any different than looking at a price tag before buying something?

Do we all not look at the price of that bottle of wine before we order it? How about the surf n' turf entree? How about on Yelp where they show the price category of the restaurant we pick ($$ or $$$$)? We are constantly looking at prices all day long...which gas station has the cheapest gas, which store carries the cheapest diapers or laundry soap, or pet food.

Calories are the currency of health. The word "obsessive" needs to be replaced with "dedicated and committed". I'm proud to add my calories at the table when I go out. It's what Weight Watchers teaches their members too..count your points. Same thing.

It's when you may see an 8-year-old worry about calories that I think it goes too far or when you lose sleep because you went over 12 calories one day. OK?

Your friendly dietitian

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Matahairi wrote: »

Do we all not look at the price of that bottle of wine before we order it? How about the surf n' turf entree? How about on Yelp where they show the price category of the restaurant we pick ($$ or $$$$)? We are constantly looking at prices all day long...which gas station has the cheapest gas, which store carries the cheapest diapers or laundry soap, or pet food.

Calories are the currency of health. The word "obsessive" needs to be replaced with "dedicated and committed". I'm proud to add my calories at the table when I go out. It's what Weight Watchers teaches their members too..count your points. Same thing.

It's when you may see an 8-year-old worry about calories that I think it goes too far or when you lose sleep because you went over 12 calories one day. OK?

Your friendly dietitian

What about when you see adults who are obsessing to the point that it's negatively effecting their relationship with food?

The issue with this thread is that people are assuming that obsessing means "tracking accurately".
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I kind of like the quote but hey ho each to their own...

Personally I've often been told, "you're obsessed" "you don't need to lose weight" or "you exercise too much" and frequently those feeling in a position to comment are simply deflecting their own (over) weight and (lack of) fitness issues.
    How do YOU know what THEY are thinking and feeling?

Wow...just wow.

Edit - just has to google thinspo....seriously wow!
    yeah wow.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    sympha01 wrote: »
    I think a lot of people who maybe have never had a weight problem or have only needed to maintain weight or just lose 15 pounds once in a while can be quick to slap the "obsessed" label on those of us who need to count calories. I love food, and if I'm not weighing and tracking my food then my estimate of portion sizes tends to grow over time, and my internal idea of how often I can eat cake tends to go up and up and up LOL.

The thing is, either you're counting calories ... or you're not. There's no middle ground. You can't count some of your calories some of the time and expect it to work. So if you're going to do it, you do it right. If that's "obsessive," so be it, I guess?

IMO it's only a "problem" if you're letting it control you, like having so much anxiety about not knowing the exact calorie data or portion sizes that you avoid social situations for example. Sometimes counting calories means making a good faith conservative estimate, making a plan for the day, whatever, and moving on with your life.

But yeah, I have IRL friends who know I've lost 160 pounds and are impressed by that, but also clearly "don't entirely approve" that I weigh my food at home and track my meals in a diary like MFP essentially forever. I try to quietly demonstrate that I don't let food control me -- they see me eat pizza or cake and drink booze, or take seconds of delicious dish, but you can't worry too much about what other people think either LOL.

Never been truly fat- only fluxed 15 pounds or so in various stages of in or out of shape.

And there was definitely a time when i thought my best friend who was already lean as hell trying to talk me into calorie counting was out of her gord.

Seriously- I was TERRIFIED of becoming fussy (having seen high school girls fuss about it- I thought it was a vapid thing to do). I sustained on a variety of foods- and knowing to not eat a boat load of "junk" food and treat myself occasionally- I often held the rule- no ice cream unless you ran that day.

Turns out- I'm not crazy- I'm not obsessed and I'm not vapid.

I've had success both ways- really the misnomer is that people THINK you turn into an obsessive crazy boring control freak who isnt' any fun to hang out with any more.

But to me there is a pretty defined line- and I've read at least 2 stories here of people who could positively identify the tipping point of safe positive consistent accurate logging and straight obsessive.

I had a very close call last season when I was cutting on 1200. I was VERY fussy- but it was about 5 weeks and I pulled out the other side (cutting for a photo shoot). And I'm glad I towed the line and came back. When you start to get agitation and have issues enjoying a meal occasionally (like- 1 a month or more I'd say) then it's a problem.

I manage myself reasonable well maintain wise eating out 1 a week. It sucks- but I manage. Cutting is much harder- I have to be way more careful- but it's definitly do-able.
  • tammylee57
    tammylee57 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Great conversation. I read all your replies. I am dedicated and committed. I can be at peace with that
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »

This is ridiculous.

I have commitment and I have discipline while still believing that there are some people out there that are obsessive and take things way to far. Of course I'm not saying everyone or even most but there sure are plenty. Am I lazy?

Must be! It has to be one or the other - no shades of grey...and I am not talking about that ridiculous book.

And here I was hoping you were talking about Gandalf. :(

There are two things I've learnt from this post:

1) The word obsessive, for all it's dictionary meaning, will always be different in the eye of the beholder. It's like asking a person who's 4'7" and another who's 7' what their definition of a tall person is.

2) Wow this went way off topic quickly.

At least I don't think I'll ever have a line of friends telling me they think I'm obsessed over food. I'm too much of an introvert to have people really notice. That, and the matcha flavoured macaron I stuffed in my mouth this morning (and subsequently logged, and told the cook I was logging as well), means I'm sure that my relationship with food is still sane.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    Tickwomp wrote: »
    More like- fine line between accurate logging and poor logging.
    -
    No I disagree with that.

Everyone has to find the point where their logging is accurate enough to lose (maintain/ gain/ whichever is the desired goal)
    Logging less accurately only matters if you are not reaching said goal - but many people, including me, can reach their goals with loose approximate, often estimated, logging - that is not poor logging, it is good logging if results are as desired.

Some people seem to think accuracy of logging is the goal.
    It is not.
    It is but a means to an end.

I like that old saying "my house is clean enough to be healthy and dirty enough to be happy" - likewise "my logging is accurate enough to get results and loose enough to not take over life"
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I like that old saying "my house is clean enough to be healthy and dirty enough to be happy" - likewise "my logging is accurate enough to get results and loose enough to not take over life"

Love this.

I might venture to say that those who are offended with the notion that sometimes it can become an obsession, are probably obsessed.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options

Love this.

I might venture to say that those who are offended with the notion that sometimes it can become an obsession, are probably obsessed.

I know I am obsessed, but it doesn't bother me at all. I prefer being obsessed with keeping a healthy weight than the alternative of 3 years ago when I was obsessed and morbidly obese.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    dakotababy wrote: »
    I dont know, it is similar to "obsessively" not eating carbs, or gluten, or dairy or whatever other techniques people use to lose weight. Exercising, taking diet pills or shakes...the list can go on.

I think people are ignorant when they DONT count calories, or at least take a look at the nutrition label before they eat. What is so wrong about being educated, and using that education to keep yourself healthy?

I don't count calories. I haven't for several months.

Am I ignorant because of this?
    Ditto. And I didn't while I was losing weight. I *did* learn about food. Learning doesn't necessarily require counting, and counting doesn't necessarily lead to learning.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Oh goodness the sidetracks again.

Anyway, logging ideally is a tool, in which case one has a healthy relationship to said tool. If there is imbalance and the relationship becomes unhealthy, obsession can occur.

Only you know how to define that relationship and if people around you express opinions, it isn't the first time that they have put their nose in businesses that isn't theirs to comment on, nor will it be the last. I suggest people develop a thick skin and focus on those, who lift you up rather than bring you down.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Personally I've often been told, "you're obsessed" "you don't need to lose weight" or "you exercise too much" and frequently those feeling in a position to comment are simply deflecting their own (over) weight and (lack of) fitness issues.

I still get this from others too and I just ignore them for the most part. I did however give up logging my food as of last week, though. I havent gained any weight in 3 years and am usually under my goal by 3 pounds so I think logging for me isn't necessary anymore. I would not call those who do log everything they consume, obsessive, since they have to do what works best in their situation.
  • eatlittle
    eatlittle Posts: 2 Member
    Options

• eatlittle
    eatlittle Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like this response the best.