Fine line between counting/logging and obsessing?

Options

Replies

• many_splendored
    many_splendored Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I would say if you find yourself obsessed, this is probably not the only thing you obsess about. Obsessive behavior about food is usually a symptom of something greater.
  • WednesdayJanuary07th2015
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If your mostly a creature of habit, whom often consumes the same thing regularly; then you might already know how many Calories daily your consuming. So I'd just log everything new and/or infrequent, I also try not to consume; anything that I can't measure.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    katya_be wrote: »
    You get used to it and it become second nature.. I used to worry that I would get obsessed but after a year of logging I feel like it's the same thing as keeping track of your gas meter on your car. You don't obsess over it, just get it done and over with.

YOU aren't obsessing over it and that's a great thing. You are a good example of someone who can likely stick to logging for a long term period and do really well with it and that's great.

Other people may obsess over it in a way that causes less than desirable results with their view of food. And these are the people who need to address it.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    tammylee57 wrote: »
    I am so tired of being laughed at and derided for it.
    I'm used to it. I don't care.

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated...

This is ridiculous.

Ridiculous probably.... But it is also the truth...

This is a bunch of fitspo garbage and it's insulting to people who actually develop obsessive attitudes towards their diet.

Troll

xe35w8.png

246orhs.jpg
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

This is ridiculous.

This is a bunch of fitspo garbage and it's insulting to people who actually develop obsessive attitudes towards their diet.

Troll

I'm not trolling in the slightest.

I am literally lol'ing at that.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Oh please...

IKR!

I really hate those inspo quotes. Nine times out of ten they are just plain stupid.
    UGH, hear hear!

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

This is ridiculous.

Troll

Telling the truth, even though it may not be what you want to hear =/= troll.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

This is ridiculous.

Troll

Still lol'ing

2w6gokn.jpg

• PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    No, there is a huge difference between logging diligently and being obsessed. I got to a point in logging where all of my macros had to be perfect and if they weren't I'd have a breakdown that usually including binging on bags and bags of chips, jars of PB and nutella, anything I could get my hands on (including once, an entire jar of pickled beets). I would scrutinize my diary for HOURS a day. I wouldn't eat anything I hadn't prepared myself because I couldn't guarantee the accuracy of nutrition. THAT is obsessive. Logging your food does not make you obsessive.

You must be lazy according to this thread.

Hahaha...yup--and thank goodness. I'd rather be lazy than obsessed ever again!
  • amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I kind of like the quote but hey ho each to their own...

Personally I've often been told, "you're obsessed" "you don't need to lose weight" or "you exercise too much" and frequently those feeling in a position to comment are simply deflecting their own (over) weight and (lack of) fitness issues.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I sometimes wonder the same thing about myself but the reality is that until I lose interest in food this is a tool that I need! Maybe one day when we are not bombarded with the need to overindulge in just about everything, and obesity is a thing of the past and we all survive eating pellets :) MFP and all other weight loss tools with no longer be needed. Then if we are still obsessing over our pellet intake we will know we have an issue!

Not to make light of it, but this is what works for us and think just like that day that we started happened when it was time for it to happen so will that day for us to stop logging will happen when it is right for us! Don't rush it just let it happen and when someone ask about logging, just tell them the truth 'this is what is working for you right now and you are not ready to stop!'
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Robin1109 wrote: »
    I saw this on Buzzfeed the other day and it made me laugh! Any MFP'er will totally understand!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/catesevilla/hold-on-i-just-need-to-log-this#.pvWBz2Red

thank you for sharing this! this made my day!! :D
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Personally I've often been told "you don't need to lose weight" or "you exercise too much" and frequently those feeling in a position to comment are simply deflecting their own (over) weight and (lack of) fitness issues.

I don't disagree that there are people who do exactly this.
  • KimF84
    KimF84 Posts: 18 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Love this! Where is the "Like" button?!
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I personally think I might always have to log my food... but I wouldn't buy a new dress without looking at the price and then checking my account to make sure I had enough money, so I won't get that particular meal unless I'm sure I have the calories for it. It's already a habit and it doesn't bother me. If it ever does, then I guess I would try without it and see if I'm good enough at portion sizes to not gain. If I gain it would be right back to counting. I doubt I'll get tired of it, though.
  • jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are saying but it's not necessarily true that you always have to be aware of the number of calories you are consuming.

It is possible, over time and with the correct resources, for some people to learn eating habits that allow them to respect hunger/satiety cues and use that, along with good food selection habits, to eat a reasonable range of calories for their goal.

It's not simply "eating whatever you want" but it's also not "mentally tracking calories" either.

I think the reality is that there are many people who are here for whom calorie counting is the only method that has worked, so they are willing to do whatever it takes to use that method.

Perhaps for some people this might be true, but it's also a possibility that they have not yet learned the habits necessary to have success without logging.

Fortunately, it's quite possible to learn those habits WHILE you are tracking intake so that AT SOME POINT you do not have to keep logging.

This is exactly what I was feeling when I read this post. Of course, I just read through all of your's and SarahUKs wonderful articles (or rather a plethora of them) so your logic is fresh in my head.

OP, I have the opposite spectrum where I don't log enough. Simply because I need to see what I am eating is doing to me and a log would allow for that reflection. My analytic mind wants that but my time constraints do not allow it. I still need to reflect and look in the mirror regularly (whether I like what I see or not) in order to help me move forward. Yet, I still found where I need to be and if I had a bad week and need to work it off I also have an idea of what that would take.

The key is everyone is different. You have to find what works for yourself and you have to be comfortable with what you are doing for yourself. If logging gets you there, then that is awesome - keep logging.
  • tammylee57
    tammylee57 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The sometimes I hate it..weary of it (of my original post).... referred to counting calories...not the logging of them