Do you switch MFP off on your birthday?

Replies

• Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    My birthday. Thanksgiving. Christmas. Other various parties. I eat what I want. I log it. This is a lifestyle change, and in our lives, we have big meals and celebrations occasionally. I won't feel guilty about it, but I do log it so I know.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    I log it just like every other day and enjoy the treats guilt free as always :wink:
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    brwelch1 wrote: »
    I overate but logged it

This exactly. We went out for a super fat steak dinner - it was awesome. I went over, but I logged it and didn't feel a second of guilt.
  • madamepsych0sis
    madamepsych0sis Posts: 25 Member
    Enjoy yourself (but don't OVERindulge), but definitely still track!
  • jjasmelon
    jjasmelon Posts: 101
    edited February 2015
    Mines on the 9th Mar, I think I will log it but definitely will be a cheat/treat day.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Nope. I log a massive five to six thousand Calorie blowout and then bask in the awe of my friends at my prodigious capacity for eating delicious food.

Then the next day I go back to my regular eating habits and continue to make steady progress toward whatever goal I happen to have set at the time.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited February 2015
    Ooci wrote:
    Would it be possible to gain 4 in a day?? It wouldn't, surely?
    1 lb = 3500 calories
    4 lb = 14,000 calories
    Doubt you'd be able to eat 14,000 calories in one day. :grinning:
    [ETA: that's over your BMR, so if that's 1500, you'd have to eat 5,000 in order to gain 1 lb.]

Eat what you want, enjoy it, log it, accept that getting to your goal will be delayed a little bit.
    Changing your eating habits for good is not about depriving yourself, but about learning moderation. Make good choices most of the time, don't worry too much about the rest.

For my birthday Sunday, I've planned to have pancakes & eggs for breakfast,
    cheese ravioli with bacon, cream, red bell pepper, & asiago for lunch (will probably add broccoli &/or spinach),
    and haven't decided on dinner yet, but dinner is usually small.
    Yes, that will be considerably over my calorie goal, even if I count exercise calories (which I usually try not to).
  • Ooci
    Ooci Posts: 247 Member
    I LOVE reading all these responses, thank you everyone! Brilliant to see people having a controlled view of indulgence.
    Booked Stapleford Park restaurant near Melton Mowbray ( UK) The menu looks to die for.
  • Ooci
    Ooci Posts: 247 Member
    It's up to you, but one reason to log though would be if you want to use a spreadsheet like the excel export tool to figure out your observed TDEE.

I don't really understand this?? Could you explain a bit more? Xx
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Ooci wrote:
    Would it be possible to gain 4 in a day?? It wouldn't, surely?
    1 lb = 3500 calories
    4 lb = 14,000 calories
    [ETA: that's over your BMR, so if that's 1500, you'd have to eat 5,000 in order to gain 1 lb.]

Eat what you want, enjoy it, log it, accept that getting to your goal will be delayed a little bit.
    Changing your eating habits for good is not about depriving yourself, but about learning moderation. Make good choices most of the time, don't worry too much about the rest.

For my birthday Sunday, I've planned to have pancakes & eggs for breakfast,
    cheese ravioli with bacon, cream, red bell pepper, & asiago for lunch (will probably add broccoli &/or spinach),
    and haven't decided on dinner yet, but dinner is usually small.
    Yes, that will be considerably over my calorie goal, even if I count exercise calories (which I usually try not to).

It's 3500 calories over maintenance/TDEE, not BMR
  • no way! This is where all my friends are!!
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    My birthday is tomorrow too! I'm definitely going to eat whatever I want and just log it. I tend not to want to eat too much junk anyway anymore but a bottle of wine will definitely be consumed ;)
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    If you are logging everything, then by comparing what you've logged to what you lose over time, you can figure out what your actual Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) is. Here is the excel spreadsheet I use: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1122752/export-and-analyze-your-own-data-in-excel#latest
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Why would you "switch it off?"

Your body logs it all, whether you do or not. I don't hold back on special days but make it a point to log everything. It actually feels good to see how easy it is to still come out at a deficit for the week, even when one has indulged a bit on a single day.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Next month is my 16th wedding anniversary (one of the rare times hubby and I go out with no kids), I'm upping my calories to maintenance for that day (as I will for Mother's Day and my birthday) and log everything. If I go over I go over, but I've gotten into the habit of logging, and taking a break for a day may break that habit for me
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member

challenge_considered_by_rober_raik-d4cltg1.png
  • mom2ava07
    mom2ava07 Posts: 186 Member
    I have a birthday at the end of this month. I've went ahead and decided that I'm going to have two things I want badly, and that is pizza and cake. The old me would have eaten three to four pieces of pizza and a huge piece of cake.

I'm going to still log for reference, but I'm going to indulge on that one day. I will have a couple slices of pizza and try to eat a big salad with it to fill me up more. I'm going to have cake, but a single serving.

My husband is dieting with me and told me he didn't think I should do both, but I'm not spending my last birthday in my twenties eating a can of progresso light soup and a fiber one 90 calorie brownie.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member

challenge_considered_by_rober_raik-d4cltg1.png

In one day with alcohol I know that this would not really be a challenge that hard to do.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I would just plan ahead and enjoy it.
    I haven't had my birthday yet but that is how I handled my wedding anniversary and holidays and I didn't gain weight.
  • My maintenance is 1750 calories. On my birthday I eat 1750 calories of sweets.... :trollface:

(Sidenote -- I am not a troll, but I LOVE that emoticon :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: )