Kit Kat or pear??

SJenno91
SJenno91 Posts: 2
edited February 2015 in Food and Nutrition
hello all, I have been swimming regularly for the last 3 weeks and weining myself off the unhealthy foods. I have now replaced chocolate with fruit completely. My daily goals are 50% carbs, 30% fat and 20% protein. I used to get around that mark easily but since I have started eating the fruit etc my diet seems to have changed massively. I'm now on 70% carbs, 10% fat and 20% protein. I'm not sure if it's good that I have replaced 20% fat with an extra 20% carbs. I do about 50-80 lengths in the pool and do not feel like I burn 70% worth of my carbs and this week I feel bloated and like I've gone backwards in that I feel like my weight has increased! Does anyone know if I should have my diet like it is now or how can I balance it more (what foods help)? Any advice is appreciated because I don't feel like it's working!

Replies

• prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Kit Kat.......every d@mn time!!!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    kit-kat-o.gif
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    I love kit kats. Can't keep it in the house.
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    go 40P 30C 30F for a few weeks and see how you go.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    Pears have no taste imo, so I'd choose the Kit Kat (even though I haven't eaten Hershey in close to a year)
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    KIT KAT!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Kit kat. And your protein is low. Any reason why?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Kit Kat
  • Tea_Mistress
    Tea_Mistress Posts: 105 Member
    I personally prefer pears xD
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Have you ever heard of carb loading? If you consume so many carbohydrates in ratio with everything else in your diet, you will feel bloated and retain water more. So what you're experiencing could be that or, since fruit is naturally higher in fiber than other foods, your body may just simply be adjusting if it isn't used to that.
    You have to remember, although fruits are a very healthy and natural source of sugars, it's still sugar, and too much isn't necessarily as good for you as you may think. Everything in moderation.
    If you're trying to level out your ratios, why not pair other healthy things with your fruit, like hummus or peanut butter? Or have other, lower sugar, fruits such as avocados which are higher in healthy fats?
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    ^Sugar is not bad
  • hgycta
    ^ How do you come to this conclusion? It may not be bad in the sense of being the only contributing factor to weight gain and health issues, but it certainly isn't "healthy," either. If I eat a bunch of food high in sugar, I'll immediately begin to feel sluggish, tired, and sick. If I eat a similar amount of food lower in sugar and higher in other nutrients, I may feel uncomfortably full, but at least I'll have energy and not as ill.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Kit Kat.

Kit Kat dipped in coffee.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    cityruss wrote: »
    Kit Kat.

Kit Kat dipped in coffee.

Mmm I love dipping chocolate in my coffee. Though admittedly a dark chocolate over a kit kat.
  • hgycta
    edited February 2015
    emily_stew wrote: »
    So sugar might not be good *for you*. Doesn't make it bad across the board.

I never even said it was bad though, I just said it wasn't as good as people may think (such as consuming too much from even natural sources like fruits).
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    hgycta wrote: »
    Have you ever heard of carb loading? If you consume so many carbohydrates in ratio with everything else in your diet, you will feel bloated and retain water more. So what you're experiencing could be that or, since fruit is naturally higher in fiber than other foods, your body may just simply be adjusting if it isn't used to that.
    You have to remember, although fruits are a very healthy and natural source of sugars, it's still sugar, and too much isn't necessarily as good for you as you may think. Everything in moderation.
    If you're trying to level out your ratios, why not pair other healthy things with your fruit, like hummus or peanut butter? Or have other, lower sugar, fruits such as avocados which are higher in healthy fats?

People are just trying to lose weight and haven't figured that out yet- don't need to be worried about carb loading or carb cycling.

"Have a carby snack before you workout" is adequate- people CAN and do get confused wiht to much information... and at 50% carbs OP is already carb loading workouts.
    I just said it wasn't as good as people may think (such as consuming too much from even natural sources like fruits).

how about we just let go of the good or bad and figure out what fits your needs. And in THAT context it becomes a wise choice or not.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    also candy bar > pear.

almost any kind -except almond joy- I really can't stand them.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Kit Kat/end thread ;)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    You say that like those are the only two options. How much fat, protein, and carbs are you getting in grams? What do you mean by you feel like your diet isn't working?
  • NicoleS9
    NicoleS9 Posts: 62 Member
    SJenno91 wrote: »
    hello all, I have been swimming regularly for the last 3 weeks and weining myself off the unhealthy foods. I have now replaced chocolate with fruit completely. My daily goals are 50% carbs, 30% fat and 20% protein. I used to get around that mark easily but since I have started eating the fruit etc my diet seems to have changed massively. I'm now on 70% carbs, 10% fat and 20% protein. I'm not sure if it's good that I have replaced 20% fat with an extra 20% carbs. I do about 50-80 lengths in the pool and do not feel like I burn 70% worth of my carbs and this week I feel bloated and like I've gone backwards in that I feel like my weight has increased! Does anyone know if I should have my diet like it is now or how can I balance it more (what foods help)? Any advice is appreciated because I don't feel like it's working!

How frustrating!
    I have to say pear because of the fiber! Pears have more fiber than an apple, flavonoids, vit c, potassium, iron, calcium, antioxidants, vit k, folate. There is thought that pears help ward off cancer!
    Kit Kats have, um , wafers? I guess if you're really craving one every once in awhile, go for it, but eat a pear too!!!!