turkey burgers good or bad

Options

Replies

• Mb0529984
    Mb0529984 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2013/01/hawaiian-turkey-burgers-recipe.html This recipe for turkey burgers makes my world go round. They are amazingly juicy. I have made them for a lot of friends and so far everybody likes them. If you are expecting the exact same flavor as a cheeseburger, prepared to be dissappointed. It just isn't going to happen with turkey.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    ^ how is using ground beef "splurging"???

Probably because ground turkey is cheaper than ground beef.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    Me. I love Turkey Burgers but not from restaurant. I find them pathetically dry.

I make them @ home. A good Lean Turkey Meat gets dry. My little trick for a moist burger add one egg and/or slight butter.

I make a batch and for variety cut them into small pieces for my lunch salad.

I've had a few good turkey burgers at restaurants. The secret is to add stuff to em - two restaurants I can think of that make a good one add little bits of carrot and bell pepper in there (maybe onion too but I can't visually see it), and seasoning. They might use your trick of an egg or butter too, but I think mostly they use higher fat turkey so that its moist.

A turkey burger with 99% lean turkey and nothing else added in is pretty dry and not very tasty.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I used to hate the taste of ground turkey (in anything), but I started using it in chili because my husband preferred it. I've grown so used to it that I've started using it in other recipes, and I finally "braved" it in burger form the other day. To my shock, it wasn't nearly as awful as I'd remembered, and now I probably wouldn't go back to beef.

But it IS an acquired taste, though. I hated it for the longest time.

I usually add a little olive oil to the mix and that seems to help a lot with the dryness.

I definitely prefer turkey bacon over the pork, though - the regular bacon is just way too salty for me (always has been).
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Cathalain wrote: »
    I definitely prefer turkey bacon over the pork, though - the regular bacon is just way too salty for me (always has been).

Eww... Turkey Bacon tastes nothing like actual food. Mostly just tastes like salty bitter chemicals. Give me the real thing any day.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I like the Kirkland turkey burgers from Costco. Ate one last night, actually. They aren't too bad, particularly with red onion, lettuce, and wasabi light mayo.

Turkey bacon is literally Satan. If I want bacon, I'll budget for the real pork kind.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    It's true, the beef can be a splurge if you are waiting for payday. Poultry costs less! I buy beef *on* payday. I also have a meat grinder attachment for my mixer. Chicken is the cheapest of all meats where I live. I have had thoughts about shoving some chicken meat through the grinder and trying some chicken burgers as well. Some onion, a little garlic, salt and pepper, maybe a pinch of cayenne. Then you could put some Havarti or Provolone cheese on top that you were smart enough to buy on payday lol... I have to mention this to my husband; we could test it out this weekend.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    We love turkey burgers. We season it up just like beef or chicken burgers and throw it on the grill. I use the 93/7 turkey meat and it comes out great every time.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Love turkey, but have never big fan of ground turkey. The only way I will eat a turkey burger or turkey meatballs is if A LOT of stuff is added to mask the undertaste. I prefer ground beef, but I don't eat ground meat very often anymore.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Is anyone else gonna try chicken burgers? :D I just texted the husband.

edit: he replied, thinks it will be awesome.
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    We don't eat red meat except on a rare occasion. No steaks, ground beef...etc. I use ground turkey for everything. Burgers are one of our favorite to do. I use ground turkey sausage for burgers a lot or add some awesome seasonings. Ground turkey sausage and rice with broccoli and cheese is a plus+plus. I've never understood why people hate turkey burgers so much, though. With the right ingredients you can rule the world!
    These are two of the burgers I've made in the past few months.
    oiyz64kqdrai.jpg
    Tomato and basil turkey burger with a grilled egg, sauteed onions, turkey bacon, spinach and tomato on wheat toast.
    o4qndw026xes.jpg
    Turkey sausage burger with grilled onion, sauteed onions, tomato and spinach.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Eh. I'm on the fence with them. They aren't my meal of choice, but if that's all they are my only choice, I'll eat them. It's all about your own tastes though. try and see if you like them. If you don't, then don't eat them again.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    It's a matter of perspective. I grew up eating turkey/chicken substitutes for everything. Steak is not as appealing as some chicken, I'd rather have ground turkey over ground beef, and regular pork bacon it just plain nasty to me. Mind you, I tried all of these things with an open mind and some times I do eat the "regular" versions of meat. I do prefer beef franks over turkeydogs though! The most important thing: Try it and keep an open mind.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I don't like them, and the nutritional difference between ground turkey and ground beef is negligible. My burgers come from a cow.

I like turkey bacon, but it's not bacon. It won't satisfy a bacon craving (nothing but real bacon will), but I'll eat it.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I don't like them, and the nutritional difference between ground turkey and ground beef is negligible. My burgers come from a cow.

I like turkey bacon, but it's not bacon. It won't satisfy a bacon craving (nothing but real bacon will), but I'll eat it.

It depends on what kind of ground turkey. I use fresh ground turkey breast, not dark meat and it is less fat and calories than lean ground beef, and for the amount of ground turkey I use, (I do not use any ground beef), there is a substantial savings on calories, fat and money.

As for turkey "fake" bacon, the sodium levels are very high on both, calorie and fat savings negligible, and taste---the "fake" turkey bacon, does not come even close to the real thing, so why even bother. The real thing has nothing to make me change over for little nutritional savings.

• _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options

It depends on what kind of ground turkey. I use fresh ground turkey breast, not dark meat and it is less fat and calories than lean ground beef, and for the amount of ground turkey I use, (I do not use any ground beef), there is a substantial savings on calories, fat and money.

As for turkey "fake" bacon, the sodium levels are very high on both, calorie and fat savings negligible, and taste---the "fake" turkey bacon, does not come even close to the real thing, so why even bother. The real thing has nothing to make me change over for little nutritional savings.

93/7 Lean Ground Turkey
    Serving Size: 4 oz
    Calories: 170
    Fat: 8 g
    Carbs: 0 g
    Protein: 21 g

93/7 Lean Ground Beef
    Serving Size: 4 oz
    Calories: 136
    Fat: 5 g
    Carbs: 0 g
    Protein: 23 g

So much for that theory.

As for the "why bother" with turkey bacon - I don't eat it as a substitute for bacon. I actually like the flavor of turkey bacon. Real bacon is better, yes, but if I have turkey bacon I'll eat it. I see bacon and turkey bacon as two totally separate types of food - I don't use one to replace the other. Donuts are better than eggs, for instance, but I'll eat both depending on my mood or calorie/macro restrictions.
  • kailibertsch
    kailibertsch Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you make them. If you are expecting them to taste like beef, then you will be disappointed. I make Mexican Turkey Burgers and they are awesome. Try the recipe.

Mexican Turkey Burgers

½ cup salsa
    ¼ cup reduced fat cheese, shredded
    3 tsp chili powder
    1 tsp dried oregano
    1 tsp dried cumin
    ¾ tsp sugar
    1 tsp garlic powder
    ½ tsp dried thyme
    ½ tsp salt
    ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
    1 lb extra lean ground turkey

In large bowl, combine salsa, cheese, chili powder, oregano, cumin, sugar, garlic power, thyme, salt and cayenne. Stir to combine. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into burger patties
    Grill until juices run clear
    Serve on whole wheat buns with LF or FF cheese. Can top with sour cream, guacamole, lettuce and tomato if you desire.

Yum!! This sounds good. Totally just emailed myself the recipe to try this weekend. Thanks!
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I do like them. I'll add Greek herbs to them and top them with tzatziki, or skip the herbs and have them with cranberry sauce (and possibly brie/goat cheese). Delish.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    There's nothing gross about them unless you find turkey gross for some reason. Just like almost everything, they are great depending on how you make them and what you put on them. Just don't expect it to taste like a beef burger, it is a totally different thing.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    I can't stand the texture!
    Are you using ground turkey or buying premade patties? Some of the premade/frozen ones are pretty bad texture-wise.