Did you lose weight for yourself or somebody else?

Replies

• Tyler_Wright
    Tyler_Wright Posts: 7 Member
    I'm losing weight for a number of people. First, and foremost for myself. I don't think I could have lost 30lbs (30 more to go) just because someone else wanted me to. However, my wife and I plan on having children within the next couple of years. With that said I'm losing weight for her and my future family. I want to be around as long as possible. I would hate for something to happen to me just because I've been lazy the past 5 years.
  • Interesting question ... kinda both actually.

Directly MOI: In order to be my personal best I need to get healthy and lead by example of what a healthy life looks like for the kiddos. And the only way to instill that is 'buying' what I am 'selling' myself first & foremost (so-to-speak).

Indirectly Family: In getting myself healthy I can be assured that I will be around for a long time and will not become a financial or emotional burden to anyone ... at least that is the goal. :D
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    For me and for my children in equal measures

My husband has always thought I'm gorgeous so he doesn't mind.

But having a son I can challenge to push-ups and a 10 year old daughter who has a fit and more vibrant mother makes me feel great.. I mean if I can do this, they have no excuse not to do stuff just because they find it hard ..
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    For myself only.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    I lost weight for myself…so that everyone I care about (myself, wife & family) could benefit.

My wife always said she didn't care if I weighed 500 pounds - she just wanted me around for our golden years.

People I know that lost weight strictly to please someone else – never maintained that loss or were constantly in a state of emotional stress trying to keep weight off to please that other person.
  • LoadedM6Tina
    LoadedM6Tina Posts: 63 Member
    It started out as for myself. Now it's to spark a little jealousy. :wink:
  • parkerpowerlift
    parkerpowerlift Posts: 196 Member
    Both myself and somebody else. Actually, my original reason for wanting to be fit was a mixture of really weird reasons that were for others only.

Now it's mostly for myself. I got bored and needed to find a new motivation.

I kinda was in the same boat as you. I used to be really close to someone I met last year. They were always talking about such health-oriented topics, special foods because of food allergies and past exercise adventures and such. I would get so convicted, being around them, because they were taking such better care of themselves than me. I used to not care about going out for fast food every day and drinking my weight in soda. It wasn't a big deal for me. They ended up asking me about a fitness forum/app and I discovered the C25k app. We did the program together in a sense---she did it at her gym and I did it in my current town I moved to, outdoors. It was super encouraging to have someone doing it alongside me and to talk about wellness, fitness and all that jazz. I cut out the bad habits, started to lose weight.

Life and drama happened and we aren't friends anymore. We were having a lot of issues last fall, and I started to realize that I can't be inspired to better myself for anyone else than myself. I took up the hobby of outdoor running this summer and fall and it had proven to be one of the hardest things I've ever done before physically. It would be emotionally draining and healing, physically exhausting and strengthening at the same time. Running a couple times a week was my own form of therapy. I constantly was pushing myself to go a few seconds or minutes longer, or to go further than I had gone previous runs. I used to feel like death running for 30 seconds.

And now, 9 months later, I can easily run for 30+ minutes. I have ran 6 miles all at once in a little over an hour (slow compared to some runners, but amazing for me). 2014 was the first year that I was ever able to successfully run a full mile, lose weight and retain the results. I have lost 40 pounds since 05-16-2014 and I intend on losing about another 10-15 before I start going into maintenance.
  • My wife and I decided to do it together. We have an 8 yr old w/ a lot of energy and it's tough to keep up with her sometimes so we made a joint effort to be there for each other and be each others rock...
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Myself. My boyfriend blurted out that he likes my body better now. Don't blame him but it wasn't for him.
  • kmblank
    kmblank Posts: 43 Member
    edited February 2015
    For myself...but also my job. When I finished nursing school I was at my highest weight. My strength and balance were minimal so I was afraid I was either going to hurt a patient or hurt myself. Also, I realized educating patients on making healthy choices has no impact coming from someone that is morbidly obese. My job has been a great motivator to stay on track because there are so many people that are suffering with illness/conditions that can be eliminated or controlled if they were at a healthy weight and exercised!
  • Hardenton
    Hardenton Posts: 136 Member
    I do for other people (aesthetics), myself (health) and also for survival reasons (fight/ flight)
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    I'm doing it for me - my husband is torn about whether he wants me to lose weight (my boobs are bigger now, so he doesn't mind the extra lbs lol) And no one in my life has ever said anything rude, cruel or hurtful about my size, so its not about that. I just miss being fit and strong. And climbing trees. You can't climb trees when you weigh 200lbs (who knew?)
  • MichelleV1990
    MichelleV1990 Posts: 806 Member
    I let myself go until I was diagnosed with degenerative joint disease. The pain in my hip was so excruciating that it motivated me to lose the excess baggage. I'm doing this totally for me, and to ward off any unnecessary strain on my joints
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    I've lost weight twice. In grad school it was a consequence of getting fitter and doing more home cooking; I didn't set out to lose weight, but I did. I gained it back when I got my first professional job, about 80 pounds over 11 years.

The second time, I had two main reasons: (1) Getting faster on my bike, especially climbing hills. (2) Avoiding the long-term health consequences of being overweight. I was beginning to have lower back pain, and my cholesterol and blood pressure were going up.

A third reason, though less important, was to look better, especially in bike clothes, and to not have to adjust my gut when sitting down to lounge on the sofa.

The first reason was just for me. The second was for me and my wife. She never said anything to me, but I wanted to (a) be around, in good health, as long as possible, and (b) look more like the trim 139-pound guy she married back in 1995 than the borderline obese middle-aged guy I had become. Even at my heaviest, I was fairly active and fit, but the weight itself was taking a toll on my health.

An added benefit I hadn't anticipated in 2013 when I started, but that I really appreciate now, is that I have been able to add running into my activities without destroying my knees.
  • I did it for both, to look and feel good for myself and also for the public but not necessarily for a certain person..
  • I did it for myself, because my doctor told me I was pre-diabetic, and I read a scary article about visceral fat. I do have to admit that I was hoping my girlfriend would be inspired by my weight loss. Didn't happen. People have to make the decision themselves to do it.
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    both?
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Totally for me. My husband has repeatedly told me that I'm beautiful and that he loves me no matter what. But I need to feel that way about myself.

Very similar for me. My husband loves me no matter what (and tells and shows me this, daily). However, I lost the weight for ME, and husband has been very happy for my new "fit" lifestyle. Even though he "knew" I had gained too much, he never said a word, yet he is very happy for me that I decided to get healthy for myself (and a little bit of giving my husband the best and healthiest wife he could ever wish for).

Overall, mostly for me, but I also understand that I should give my best self to others I love, i.e be the fittest mom to my children, and healthiest spouse for my hubby! <3
  • Jesslane93
    Jesslane93 Posts: 190 Member
    A bit of both, Mostly for me. But I want to have another baby, so I want to be healthy for the baby, so it has a healthy start to life.
  • me