Foods that have FEWER calories than you thought

Options

Replies

• MustLoveCats21
    Options
    Popcorn and watermelon.

I'm a volume eater and I can eat a sh!tload of those two for half the calories of a normal meal!
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash

Rice Chex

Shrimp

Ice cream sandwiches (I'm not saying these are "low calorie", but compared to other ice cream novelties? Zounds!)
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of sort of lighter cheeses that I was surprised to find were pretty reasonable. Eggs and egg whites where kind of surprising. I guess that combination explains why omelettes make regular appearances on my

Lots of seafoods surprised me, things like oysters and shrimp.

Those fat free or sugar free flavored creamers. I just assumed those would be like freebasing Crisco, but I'll be darned if they aren't pretty reasonable.

Things like green and red hot sauces and salsas, so long as they aren't the sweet ones. Sriracha is not nearly as bad as so many other condiments.

Oh, and the fat free puddings (the ones you mix yourself, not the pre-made cups). You can gorge yourself pretty solidly on those for the same calories as a cup of ice cream.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash

Rice Chex

Shrimp

Ice cream sandwiches (I'm not saying these are "low calorie", but compared to other ice cream novelties? Zounds!)

Snickers Ice Cream are like that, too! only 180 calories and they're sooo tasty :)
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    oooh, I forgot that I was shocked how similar in calories something like Captain Crunch was to some "healthy" cereals. I'll forgo the three extra vitamins if it means breakfast isn't a chore.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes
    Rye bread
    Strawberries
    Bacon!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Merkavar wrote: »
    That makes sense :) just never heard it referred to as French bread, that's why I thought French toast.

What Americans call French bread, the rest of us call baguette.

And in France we have baguette (normale, a l'ancienne), ficelle, pain a l'ancienne, fougasse boule, pain de lait, pain de campaigne, etc...

French Toast is called "lost bread" - pain perdu.

:)

As to the "fewer" cal food - 0.2% Quark and Petit Suisse - super high protein, low cal, yummy.

• breathebelievejen
    breathebelievejen Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I've only just started eating fish again so this may not be a surprise to others but I'm impressed with the amount of calories in salmon. I can have a 100g serving for the same amount of calories- YUM YUM YUM. Broccoli, cherry tomatoes, cucumber and berries also. All happen to be some of my favourite foods too so I'm in food heaven! :D
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin, cottage cheese, parmesan cheese, and ketchup.
  • AbbieBeckett
    AbbieBeckett Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Things like "wafer thin" ham and stuff is always super low. I know it's like 90% water but still makes a great sandwich topping!
  • kiwi790
    Options
    Dove chocolate! Also veggie sticks (these chips made out vegetables that taste amazing). Pop corn and meats.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of 200ish foods scattered throughout the day, so I'm always amazed when I eat a homemade burger or some chicken and they are in the same neighborhood as the nuts I had as an afternoon snack or the Clif bar I ate after working out. My dinner should somehow be more calories, lol! Also ... Ruffles potato chips are my weakness. We had them in the house for the Superbowl and, hungry (duh), I shoved about eight or ten in my mouth and logged them sheepishly that night. Not bad - thought I had ruined the day, but not so. Still - they are highly addictive and should just stay at the store. :)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    I eat a lot of 200ish foods scattered throughout the day, so I'm always amazed when I eat a homemade burger or some chicken and they are in the same neighborhood as the nuts I had as an afternoon snack or the Clif bar I ate after working out. My dinner should somehow be more calories, lol! Also ... Ruffles potato chips are my weakness. We had them in the house for the Superbowl and, hungry (duh), I shoved about eight or ten in my mouth and logged them sheepishly that night. Not bad - thought I had ruined the day, but not so. Still - they are highly addictive and should just stay at the store. :)

I have a weakness for kettle chips, so I feel you. I buy snack bags from Trader Joe's so they're already pre-portioned into 150 calorie servings, and while I don't have them often - when the craving hits, it's nice to know that I can just grab a bag and fit one into my day if I want to.

• dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    String cheese - 80 calories per stick.
    Also deli chicken or turkey - about 50 calories for 2 oz which is plenty for me.
  • ChrisManch
    ChrisManch Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Traditional French Bread (French loaf, Baguette) has fewer calories because it is traditionally made without fat. That is also why it goes stale so quickly. Be careful though as some non-French bakeries make it with fat so it keeps longer.

Air popped popcorn contains the same amount of calories before and after it has popped, so you get a large volume for your cals. But it is quite high GI so will spike blood sugar levels and make you hungry later.

You can make a large stir-fry with lots of vegetables like kale, beansprouts, peppers. Fry with a tiny amount of oil (or none at all, just use a tablespoon of water and a very hot wok). Flavour with salt and pepper, a little soy sauce - big plate, few calories.
  • eapple87
    eapple87 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Mashed potatoes! I made them with vegetable stock, butter, and sour cream and could eat 350g for 250 calories. That's incredible and a lot of potatoes!
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes, butternut squash, potatoes, berries, green veg, toms, ham, prawns, 0 % greek yoghurt, fish, chicken, turkey, duck.
    Go ahead bars, small packets of crisps, almond milk,
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin, cottage cheese, parmesan cheese, and ketchup.

Ha! Ketchup is on my list of "so many calories so very sad" food. Buuuut that might have a little more to do with my preferred serving size. :p

Tomatoes. I was surprised by how low-calorie tomatoes are. I was expecting fruit level and they are veggie level.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    The Dq double cheeseburger I had yesterday was only 600 calories. I was shocked! I can easily make a burger at home with more calories than that.
  • OldSportOldsport
    OldSportOldsport Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I am always amazed at how much chicken breast you can eat and feel full for so comparatively few calories. It's genuinely amazing.