February Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    fabnine wrote: »
    @Autumnblade75 See, you already know what went wrong. You're used to running 12 miles a week, you ran 33 and your body said no way girlie- not doing this for you. The whole, I'm going to miss my goal if I don't run an insane number of miles this week sounds exactly like something I would do. The good news is you're probably not broken sounds like overuse. Rest a few days and recover then start back in at around 10-12 miles you were used to doing instead of going all the way back to zero.
    I agree with you about the expense of PT. Skippygirlsmom made a great suggestion about internet searching strengthening and stretching exercises for runners. Out of curiosity I did a quick image search and found several great reference sheets. If you want to run keep running. I promise it won't be this hard forever. One day everything is just going to click into place for you and you'll realize, hey I'm running- this is so easy and nothing hurts. Wishing you a pain free run:)

I'd love to agree with that, but it's not so simple. I was already hurting at least 2 weeks before that 33 mile binge. I ran on it anyway to meet the goal because it's still not the running that hurts, even though I know the pain is always worse after a run. I wasn't doing anything crazy when it started hurting, but I tend not to stop running when something starts hurting because it seems like something is always hurting and I'd never get to run! It's not until I'm limping that I'm willing to accept that I need to back off.

I found a good article with specific exercises for weak hips that seems to indicate that every single one of the problems I've had could lead back to the hips. (I keep them in mind, guys, I swear I'm not dropping them!) Not a single clamshell, either. I discovered that I can't actually do a single leg bridge on either leg. Huh. I thought those were glute specific, but I can see where that might be a good thing to fix, too. So, that's what I'm up to while I rage inside about not running. I really hope I can get to that place where everything clicks. I've been chasing it for 5 years. I'm stubborn enough to keep trying, but I cannot say I'm accepting the setbacks with any sort of good grace. Meanwhile, my brother is continuing to trash-talk my lack of success in the 8-minute mile department. It took 4 years to get to the point where I can run 3 ten-minute miles. After all, it took him less than a year. Good for him. </sarcasm> I'm a bad person because I'm waiting for him to suffer shin splints, stress fractures and tendonitis. He's pushing so much faster and farther than I ever did, and it would only be fair... And I just get crankier about the whole situation every day that I don't get to run. I'm limping little enough today that I feel like I could, if I wanted to keep being stupid about it. I WANT to run.

All right, so I don't know what my major malfunction is in the mental department - thanks for listening to my rant. I'm going to go do the hip exercises until I can't move 'em any more. Maybe if they're sore enough I'll stop wanting to run on my gimpy ankle...
  • christmre
    christmre Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm in, I've got to get back into my running, setting a small goal of 40 miles this month.

exercise.png
  • briebee7
    briebee7 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    4 miles today which brings me to 50/120

• fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    2/13..........................6.00...................46.50 (0F, windchill -17)

@LoneWolfRunner - I would say I can't believe you went out to run in that but that would be a lie.

I'd ask if you're crazy or have some insane need to lose appendages, but I see the balaclava & know how much you hate wearing it. You're cold weather running wise.

You my friend, just really love to run. I wish I had your dedication. It was -6 here when you ran this morning, a gust of wind rattled the windows, I ignored the alarm, and savored my warm comfortable bed.
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Grrrrr....My heel has started to hurt a little. I skipped a couple days to rest it. I hope it's not a sidelining injury. Here in Pensacola, it's definitely running event season. My Half-Marathon is in a few weeks. Not a good time for an injury. I'm doing a trial run tonight to see how it goes. Keeping my fingers crossed.

02/01/2015 - 9.03 Miles - Cumulative 9.03 Miles
    02/03/2015 - 4.20 Miles - Cumulative 13.23 Miles
    02/05/2015 - 4.22 Miles - Cumulative 17.45 Miles
    02/07/2015 - 9.37 Miles - Cumulative 26.82 Miles
    02/10/2015 - 7.70 Miles - Cumulative 34.52 Miles (Twinge in left heel - had to cut run a little short)

GOAL: 80 Miles

exercise.png.
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    • Feb 5 - 5.3 mi
    • Feb 7 - 3.6 mi
    • Feb 11 - 4.6mi
    exercise.png

• fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    @autumnblade75 - I just want to reach over the miles and give you a big hug.
    - Of course you're cranky. You just want to run. It shouldn't be this hard.
    Please don't fall into that comparison trap. You can run 3 ten minute miles!!! Do you know how great that is??? I'm willing to bet there are runners here who'd be thrilled to run 1 mile in ten minutes. For them running a 30 minute 5K is a someday I'm going to be able to do that goal.
    We have this habit of looking at what others can do and think it somehow devalues what we can do. I'm guilty of this too. I see @Stoshew71 consistently running 200+ miles a month, @Lesleycali running 2,000ft elevation, @LoneWolfRunner running outside in -17, and don't even get me started on @SonicDeathMonkey80 's incredible pace. He's amazing.
    Those are just some of the great runners here, I can't do what they can do, yet. Maybe I will someday or maybe not, that's okay.
    I check in everyday excited to see the runners who refuse to quit. People like you, @skippygirlsmom , @ShortMrsN and so many others who struggle with injuries and keep trying to figure all out; you know the run is worth the work.
    The greatest heroes here aren't setting amazing speed & distance records. I won't name names, but among us are physically disabled runners, who run even though every step hurts. It's not going to get easier for them and they run anyway.

Some people do seem to have it so easy. It seems like they never suffer shin splints, stress fractures and tendonitis. They seem to step out the door and run fast and effortlessly from their very first step. I overused the word seems because we don't know their private journey, maybe the have trials we can't see. The fact is, you and I and most of the runners out there, we have to work for it. We do strengthening exercises and stretches. We build mile upon mile, day after day. We don't give up. This is where stubborn is a good thing!!!

You've already accomplished so much; you will figure this out and do so much more!!
    Here's to burning gutes & hammies, and mastering the single leg bridge. Still hoping for your painfree run :)

• RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    Please don't fall into that comparison trap. You can run 3 ten minute miles!!! Do you know how great that is??? I'm willing to bet there are runners here who'd be thrilled to run 1 mile in ten minutes. For them running a 30 minute 5K is a someday I'm going to be able to do that goal.
    We have this habit of looking at what others can do and think it somehow devalues what we can do. I'm guilty of this too. I see @Stoshew71 consistently running 200+ miles a month, @Lesleycali running 2,000ft elevation, @LoneWolfRunner running outside in -17, and don't even get me started on @SonicDeathMonkey80 's incredible pace. He's amazing.
    Those are just some of the great runners here, I can't do what they can do, yet. Maybe I will someday or maybe not, that's okay.
    I check in everyday excited to see the runners who refuse to quit. People like you, @skippygirlsmom , @ShortMrsN and so many others who struggle with injuries and keep trying to figure all out; you know the run is worth the work.
    The greatest heroes here aren't setting amazing speed & distance records. I won't name names, but among us are physically disabled runners, who run even though every step hurts. It's not going to get easier for them and they run anyway.

Some people do seem to have it so easy. It seems like they never suffer shin splints, stress fractures and tendonitis. They seem to step out the door and run fast and effortlessly from their very first step. I overused the word seems because we don't know their private journey, maybe the have trials we can't see. The fact is, you and I and most of the runners out there, we have to work for it. We do strengthening exercises and stretches. We build mile upon mile, day after day. We don't give up. This is where stubborn is a good thing!!!

You've already accomplished so much; you will figure this out and do so much more!!
    Here's to burning gutes & hammies, and mastering the single leg bridge. Still hoping for your painfree run :)

What she said, double for me :)
    @fabnine‌ , You rock!
  • Abakan
    Abakan Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    2.1 mile early ( for me 7am ) morning run. 32 miles done...... 38 to do.

I found early morning running hard going. How do you early starters do it, I felt stiff and heavy, running hasn't felt that hard since I first started.
  • dfnewcombe
    dfnewcombe Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    What an awe inspiring group is on this board!!!! Wherever you are in your journey- take a moment and congratulate yourselves on a job well done. Tomorrow is not only Valentine's Day, but our halfway mark. For those on track to meet or exceed your goal excellent- keep going! For those that aren't quite there- re-evaluate but don't quit! There is still time to put in some amazing miles whether the final number meets your first goal or not. I love seeing pics of sites people have witnessed along the way!

2/13- 4.17 miles today- 22.72miles total- 19.28 miles to goal…
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    @fabnine‌ nothing‌ special here. My fast pace is another person's recovery pace :) keep up the work and you'll be rewarded ‌
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,407 Member
    Options
    QHjr wrote: »

What she said, double for me :)
    @fabnine‌ , You rock!

I agree!
    @fabnine‌ - you have an amazing ability to write what we feel and should know!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @fabnine Thanks for the mention. I am truly honored. as Sonic pointed out, I don't think I am any special. Many more that do much more than me. And I look at them and become inspired and try my best to become better.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,407 Member
    Options
    Date.......Miles.......Total
    02/01.... 4.60....... 4.60 - Trail run with hill repeats
    02/02.... 5.75......10.35
    02/03.... 0.00......10.35 - Strength training
    02/04.... 6.00......16.35 - Sore from ^ so 6 miles easy
    02/05.... 3.92......20.27 - Intervals + Strength training
    02/06.... 9.14......29.41 - Long run for the week
    02/07.... 0.00......29.41 - Rest
    02/08.... 2.06......31.47 - Dog Beach!
    02/09.... 5.53......37.00
    02/10.... 6.64......43.64 - + Strength training
    02/11.... 0.00......43.64
    02/12.... 6.83......50.47 - + Strength training
    02/13.... 5.52......55.99

exercise.png

My results for the BodPod measurement weren't great - about the same as when I had the dunk test last summer but he also said you can't compare them. Basically I still have excess fat that I need to lose. Just wish I could unlock the secret to getting my body to lose the remaining fat or build more muscle. I only have 4 lbs to lose to be back at my goal so I don't think just losing that will make a huge difference % wise.
    What I really like though is they measure/calculate your resting metabolic rate and provide the calculations for total energy expenditure based on activity level - so now I have a better idea of where I need to be on days I run/train and on rest days.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

This is why I'm so proud to call you my friend. :heart:

@ddmom0811‌ thanks for the link, it's good to see exactly how you should be rolling, very helpful.

PT is letting me two runs this weekend one at 3 miles and one at 2 miles. He thinks there is more to my tight hammies and how sore they are. He's going to do some research over the weekend and we'll talk more on Monday.

@abakan When I was running higher mileage I was outside at 5:15 am so I could be back home by 7:00. I try to get out there before my body realizes it :wink: It's all what you get used to. I really don't like to run later in the day for several reasons. Things happen during the day and I just don't want to, my daughter has homework/sports/religious education so that keeps me busy and did I mention when I get home and sit (especially in the winter) I don't want to move again LOL
  • Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
    2/1 = 6.5 miles
    2/3 = strength training
    2/4 = 6.5 miles
    2/5 = strength training
    2/6 = 6.5 miles
    2/7 = 5.5 miles
    2/9 = 6.5 miles
    2/10 = strength training
    2/12 = strength training
    2/13 = 6.5 miles

@fabnine Reading your posts always makes me smile :) You are so genuine and kind to everyone here, thank you!

Almost half way through this month, holy cow! Great job everyone! ;)
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I am so glad to have found such an amazing group of runners here. :)
    I did 2.5 miles today.
    exercise.png
  • Lesleycali
    Lesleycali Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    @fabnine thank you for the mention, I am so flattered! You are always so encouraging and real, I am so happy to have you here and wish we could run together IRL (you never know, my BIL's family is up your way!)

We are all at different points, and with different goals. We are moving closer, in on our own ways, towards those goals. I'm SO glad to be part of this group and to have met so many fascinating, dedicated people <3 (*)
  • Lesleycali
    Options
    2/1--- 10.1 miles, trail
    2/2--- 6 miles, trail
    2/3--- 5.2 miles, street
    2/4--- 5.8 miles, trail
    2/5--- Rest
    2/6--- 6.4 miles, trail
    2/7--- Rest
    2/8--- 13.5 miles, trail
    2/9--- 6.2 miles, trail
    2/10-- 6.1 miles, trail
    2/11-- 7.5 miles, trail
    2/12-- Rest
    2/13-- 7 miles, trail

74 miles done/ 130 goal
  • Lesleycali
    Options
    oh and one more thing…last fall I was having the hardest time increasing mileage. I so desperately wanted to be over 100 miles/ month and couldn't achieve it for months. I was getting sick, feeling fatigued, having random aches and pains. And then I started to lose motivation. I slowed down my pace and stuck with it and was able to finally get over 100 miles- it felt victorious! I just feel like that was a point when my body needed more time, like it needed to plateau in order to safely move to the next level.