Kit Kat or pear??

Options

Replies

• laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    hgycta wrote: »
    ^ How do you come to this conclusion? It may not be bad in the sense of being the only contributing factor to weight gain and health issues, but it certainly isn't "healthy," either. If I eat a bunch of food high in sugar, I'll immediately begin to feel sluggish, tired, and sick. If I eat a similar amount of food lower in sugar and higher in other nutrients, I may feel uncomfortably full, but at least I'll have energy and not as ill.

So sugar might not be good *for you*. Doesn't make it bad across the board.

And KitKat.....KitKat Chunky to be precise.

I second this!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    OK, I'm usually a big fan of candy bars and all, but a really luscious, ripe pear is a gift to be savored. Maybe it's just the cabin fever talking...
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    NicoleS9 wrote: »
    SJenno91 wrote: »
    hello all, I have been swimming regularly for the last 3 weeks and weining myself off the unhealthy foods. I have now replaced chocolate with fruit completely. My daily goals are 50% carbs, 30% fat and 20% protein. I used to get around that mark easily but since I have started eating the fruit etc my diet seems to have changed massively. I'm now on 70% carbs, 10% fat and 20% protein. I'm not sure if it's good that I have replaced 20% fat with an extra 20% carbs. I do about 50-80 lengths in the pool and do not feel like I burn 70% worth of my carbs and this week I feel bloated and like I've gone backwards in that I feel like my weight has increased! Does anyone know if I should have my diet like it is now or how can I balance it more (what foods help)? Any advice is appreciated because I don't feel like it's working!

How frustrating!
    I have to say pear because of the fiber! Pears have more fiber than an apple, flavonoids, vit c, potassium, iron, calcium, antioxidants, vit k, folate. There is thought that pears help ward off cancer!
    Kit Kats have, um , wafers? I guess if you're really craving one every once in awhile, go for it, but eat a pear too!!!!

Thought by who? What studies? What reputable research centers?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmmm kit kats.... The best candy there ever was.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    10983408_953559271321209_2083528862755700960_n.jpg?oh=859b9a5d4e05ef17b9b7afbf6acacdc1&oe=5591D93D
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    lseed87 wrote: »
    Surprised nobody said both yet

i sure did

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I waded through this whole thread and am still not understanding all the "Kit Kat" answers.

No caramel? No nuts? NO, THANK YOU.

Come on, people. Get with the program. SMDH.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    I waded through this whole thread and am still not understanding all the "Kit Kat" answers.

No caramel? No nuts? NO, THANK YOU.

Come on, people. Get with the program. SMDH.

Niether a pear or Kit Kat has those things. It is funny how many people are answering ONLY the subject line without offering advice on the OP actual questions.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    jhitt1975 wrote: »
    You would think fruit would be good for you but it's not, here's why:
    - glycogen reserves for fructose are tiny (liver) compared to other sugars (muscle glycogen).
    - because of this post exercise you have a greater chance of spillover to fat
    - Fruit often contains the enzymes to break itself down so it's faster digesting than many simple sugars
    - fruit often has very little fiber and is far more acidic than vegetables.
    - in human development fruit was very rare,truly a treat. Remember til a few hundred years ago when sugar because accessible to the masses fruit and honey were the junk food of the times. In fact it's only since the 1920s grains entered our diet and only since 1950s sugar was wide spread.

Did I really just read that?

• Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    lseed87 wrote: »
    Surprised nobody said both yet

I gif'd it!!
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    - glycogen reserves for fructose are tiny (liver) compared to other sugars (muscle glycogen).
    - Fruit often contains the enzymes to break itself down so it's faster digesting than many simple sugars
    - in human development fruit was very rare,truly a treat. Remember til a few hundred years ago when sugar because accessible to the masses fruit and honey were the junk food of the times. In fact it's only since the 1920s grains entered our diet and only since 1950s sugar was wide spread.

It's a work of Alternate-Universe Anthropological Fanfiction, I think. Needs more slash for our entertainment. /nerd
  • bgmmccleary
    bgmmccleary Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Pear. Eat real food.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Pear. Eat real food.

so a kit kat is not real food???
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Pear!

We know.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Daiako wrote: »

Cripes. Is nothing good for us anymore?

Apparently not. All food is poison!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I'd go for Reese's any day. The Christmas tree and Easter eggs have the perfect peanut butter to chocolate ratio. Mmmmm.

OP - I think you're over doing it on carbs and under-doing it on protein and fats. I'd change your ratios to something like 40/30/30 (c/p/f) and see what happens. Protein especially helps you feel fuller, longer.

The bloating could very well be the carbs - but it could be something else, too. Try changing up your macros and see how you feel.

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time, and I hope you're able to see some progress soon. Good luck.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Not saying it's better than a Kit Kat, but pears with cream cheese are AMAZING.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »

It's a work of Alternate-Universe Anthropological Fanfiction, I think. Needs more slash for our entertainment. /nerd

More slash is always welcome.
  • JasonH_DFW
    JasonH_DFW Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    oscarsson wrote: »
    Can you explain further how high blood sugar is toxic? I mean is that like arsnic is toxic after a point?

And so are you also saying carbs = toxic? because that's kind of what my take away on that is.

And one final thing- you must not be a fan of building muscle- because- well insulin spikes are part of how you build muscles- and things. So I mean- sure find if you're okay being soft and squishy for forever- go right ahead- but I'll take my toxic blood and rippling muscles.

Oh here comes the trolls..

1.) More people die from heart disease, followed by cancer (thanks GMO crops and HFCS!), (followed not far behind diabetes) which doesnt even factor in diabetes related obesity more than anything else in the US... so.. yeah: toxic http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/leading-causes-of-death.htm

2.) Ok riddle me this, can you OD on too much fat or protien in one sitting? No. Can you on sugar or alcohol. You bet, particularly if your insulin resistant like 99.9% of the population. Are I guess ben pakulski "squishy"? Labraka's clients? Why do you think people carb deplete towards end of show prep. But I guess you know better than the experts.

3.) http://authoritynutrition.com/23-studies-on-low-carb-and-low-fat-diets/ nuff said.

4.) Next you can get insulin spikes without carbs. Familar with whey? its 90%+ protien, no carbs hun. You eat enough eggs, dairy, meat, etc you will spike insulin which is not always a good thing. You can no burn fat in the presence of insulin. So congrats your insulin made you soft and squishy.

5.) Fat is preverses muscle loss as once you get fat adapted the body is less likely to use muscle breakdown as fuel when in a deficit. But hey what do I know, I only leg press 5.5 times my body weight for reps of 12.

So.. feel free to apologize... ya know... whenever..
  • JasonH_DFW
    JasonH_DFW Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »

I...well now I've heard it all. Facepalm

Knowledge is hard for some to swallow. I didn't invent the human metabolism, I just understand it. Denying the world was round didn't make it flat now did it?