Sometimes moderation just isn't even worth it..

Options

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Haven't read above me so sorry if repeating. I just try not to bring low-value food into the house. If I want a brownie or carrot cake , I have to leave the house, go to a cafe, buy a single portion (yes it costs a bit more, ok), and sit down at a table. No eating from a bag at home or while on the go. No torturing myself with huge portions in the fridge. Same for a slice of pizza. Have to leave the house, have to sit down.

I don't make fake versions of treats, I find they disappoint. I make something else that tastes good for what it is. Sweet treat = fresh cut apple browned in a bit of butter with oatmeal, or berries and vanilla Greek yogurt, or grapes with cottage cheese. I know people can overeat on those, but I find I don't want to because of their macro content (fiber mostly).
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Or yeah, burn it off, as Ana said. You can't outrun yadda yadda but it's nice to have it in your pocket
  • christygb
    christygb Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I read this wonderful blog post today on this very subject. It might be worth a read. I came away with a more positive way of approaching these crossroads: http://zenhabits.net/mmm-ouch/
  • tomatoey
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    I feel this way about spaghetti.. 85g of spaghetti is a tease for 310 calories

This was brought up in another thread, others said this too about 85g of pasta... I used to eat more than that, and now I average ~50g for a meal/serving. I don't find this to be a small serving either, at least not when it's cooked since it about doubles in size. Then adding cheese/sauce, veggies, meat or poultry or fish.... omg I totally want to make myself some macaroni now lol.

Yeah pasta s great and I have it often, but I've found boiled potatoes go longer for less. I sometimes boil a couple of potatoes with skin and make a mash of half a cup + a little butter and yogurt for a bunch of meals over two days. Similar yum factor (for me anyway) for way fewer cals
  • queen_of_disaster
    queen_of_disaster Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Usually when I feel like one serving won't satisfy me that means there's something else going on, and it has nothing to do with the food.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Usually when I feel like one serving won't satisfy me that means there's something else going on, and it has nothing to do with the food.

Yeah for me it's called hormones, lol.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Yeah for me it's called hormones, lol.

Heh. That made me smile.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    If I want a brownie or carrot cake , I have to leave the house, go to a cafe, buy a single portion (yes it costs a bit more, ok), and sit down at a table.

The problem with this kind of thing is that usually a brownie you'd buy at a café or restaurant (let alone a carrot cake) is going to be a bigger serving and more calories (and unknown calories) vs. one you might make at home.

I have baked goods rarely because I am not going to bake a bunch of sweets I don't want to eat (so I need an event, as someone else said, or a holiday, or to bring it into work), but I'd far rather eat something I baked myself.
    No eating from a bag at home or while on the go.

I agree with no on the go, when possible. I don't tend to overeat when on the go, but I don't like feeling like I don't appreciate my food. (I don't really like anything that comes in a bag, so that's not something I need a rule about. I do think even at home one important thing is to portion stuff out. No eating the equivalent of out of the bag, of course.)
    Same for a slice of pizza.

The problem with pizza is leftovers. I used to always get extra so I could have lots of them. Now I tend to get pizza if the person I'm getting it with will take the leftovers.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    If I want a brownie or carrot cake , I have to leave the house, go to a cafe, buy a single portion (yes it costs a bit more, ok), and sit down at a table.

The problem with this kind of thing is that usually a brownie you'd buy at a café or restaurant (let alone a carrot cake) is going to be a bigger serving and more calories (and unknown calories) vs. one you might make at home.

I have baked goods rarely because I am not going to bake a bunch of sweets I don't want to eat (so I need an event, as someone else said, or a holiday, or to bring it into work), but I'd far rather eat something I baked myself.

I agree with no on the go, when possible. I don't tend to overeat when on the go, but I don't like feeling like I don't appreciate my food. (I don't really like anything that comes in a bag, so that's not something I need a rule about. I do think even at home one important thing is to portion stuff out. No eating the equivalent of out of the bag, of course.)

The problem with pizza is leftovers. I used to always get extra so I could have lots of them. Now I tend to get pizza if the person I'm getting it with will take the leftovers.

Eh the problem with everything is leftovers. I don't even bake anymore because then we end up with a lot of extra stuff that I'm going to end up eating. I'm better off buying a single portion somewhere by far.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    My problem is I really only like home made baked goods. So I will have to make my own and portion it out. I can't stand most store bought goodies with the exception of some cookies (oreos,Keebler grasshopper which are just like girl scout thin mints, and a couple others.) So I cannot go out and enjoy a brownie at a shop. About the only dessert I like "out" is Tiramasu
    (??? No idea how many calories lol way worse than a brownie I bet ) or creme brulee...not a common offering...well the coffee shop I go to has a great cappuccino muffin which I split with my friend...so there's that.

I posted a link to an 82 calorie (2"x2") brownie recipe from Jillian Michaels. I hate most fake imitations but this sounds good. I'm making it tonight and will report if it's good or not....no way am I going to try black bean brownies..they seem very wrong. Lol
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Eh the problem with everything is leftovers. I don't even bake anymore because then we end up with a lot of extra stuff that I'm going to end up eating. I'm better off buying a single portion somewhere by far.

I just usually stick to things where the leftovers don't drive me crazy (like when they might go to waste). I can have 6 kinds of ice cream in my freezer and eat a serving a night (or twice a week, if the calories aren't allowing it that week). But leftover pie is FAR harder for me. I actually managed to not finish my apple-cranberry crisp leftovers post-Thanksgiving, which is unheard-of for me, but it's not something I can count on (and besides wasting baked goods makes me sad, sigh).
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I know that there have been times when I crave chocolate, I don't keep it in the house. I have been known to drive to the store and walk up and down the candy aisle for several minutes just to leave the store with nothing. I think the smell satisfied my craving. Other times I find it is better to eat a small portion of whatever it is I am craving and get it out of my system, otherwise I end up eating a dozen doughnuts instead of just one. I just plan for it within my daily calorie allowance and go from there. And one really good, decadent chocolate is much more satisfying than a gob of cheap chocolate.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I actually was given a tiny (4.5 g) chocolate today (Dolfin Noir Orange) when I bought lunch. It was funny since I'd looked at the chocolates (this place has tons of chocolate of all sorts in single serving as well as larger sizes), and I'd made the decision that I didn't need one and then the guy ringing me up said "we are giving away free chocolates, want one?" and I was delighted. That's a nice kind of moderation!
  • PinupGirl13
    PinupGirl13 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's just better to eat the brownie, and not obsess about it. That way you don't end up losing your mind and binging on a whole pan of them later.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I saw a truffle today that was about the size of a dollar's worth of quarters. Or maybe only 75 cents. 100 calories. Per truffle.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    My problem is I really only like home made baked goods. So I will have to make my own and portion it out. I can't stand most store bought goodies with the exception of some cookies (oreos,Keebler grasshopper which are just like girl scout thin mints, and a couple others.) So I cannot go out and enjoy a brownie at a shop. About the only dessert I like "out" is Tiramasu
    (??? No idea how many calories lol way worse than a brownie I bet ) or creme brulee...not a common offering...well the coffee shop I go to has a great cappuccino muffin which I split with my friend...so there's that.

I posted a link to an 82 calorie (2"x2") brownie recipe from Jillian Michaels. I hate most fake imitations but this sounds good. I'm making it tonight and will report if it's good or not....no way am I going to try black bean brownies..they seem very wrong. Lol

Have you considered mini-pans? I have a few mini bundt pans that take about 1/5 the batter of a regular pan. I have a few recipes that I can reduce to 20% without being too awkward (sometimes there's part of an egg leftover to add to a salad or something).
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    This is where pre-logging comes in handy.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    MezaEza wrote: »
    100 calories brownies (or less if you don't add the nuts!) http://www.thelondoner.me/2013/04/100-cal-chocofudge-brownies.html

Might try those with sugar... I hate Truvia. I'd have to buy yogurt though... I've been scared of trying the bean brownies too... Maybe I'll bite the bullet one of these days.

Cheesecake is worth it though, with all the fat from the cream cheese in there it's actually filling. Same for pizza, or burgers etc... Brownies? Not so much :(

But for now the craving is actually gone, thankfully... but we'll see what the week end brings. I haven't managed to keep a big deficit so far this week though so I need to try not to overdo it...

I hate Truvia and the like too. Tastes awful to me.

I am not sure, but you might be able to make the 1-2-3 Microwave cake work, if you add frosting. The basic recipe is about 80 calories.

Mix one box dry angel food cake mix with one box dry any flavor cake mix and store in plastic container with a lid.

Scoop 3 Tablespoons of the mixture into a coffee mug, stir in 2 Tablespoons water and microwave for 1 minute.

If you choose chocolate, you can add 1 teaspoon (or more) chocolate chips to the mixture in the mug. Frost it if you want to add more calories, or put more chips on top to melt.

I've only tasted the chocolate and the white cake mix varieties. Someone I know did a trial run and I got to taste it. I think the white cake would be good with strawberries.

You can probably get pretty satisfied with about 3 of these (240 cals) plus some additional calories to make up the frosting/topping.

They are light and fluffy though, NOT dense like brownies. About 4 or 5 bucks down the drain if you don't like it. Oh, and I figure it's "safer" having the dry mix on hand where you just cook up one serving (or more) at a time instead of baking an entire cake and negotiating with yourself!

55835802.png

• tomatoey
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

For pizza, I just get a walk-in slice. It's not gourmet cuisine, but I sit to eat it, so I'm cuing to myself that it's a conscious choice, a special case, the portion is deliberate, etc.

For the brownie or carrot cake, I get the mini sized ones available at my local cafe. They're half the size or less. Or, if I get a full-sized one, I eat half and save the other chunk for later. (Another thing I get, btw and fyi, is oat date bars or whatever they're called. Yum.) Everyone's different, I guess. I know myself. If I bake brownies or cake at home, there's no way I'm going to bed without a second piece.
  • dsbroussard82
    dsbroussard82 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Every now and then just enjoy eating whatever you want. Eat up to your maintenance or even go over a bit. Doing this even twice a month shouldn't knock you so far off track. Are you really going to live the rest of your life not enjoying brownies and pizza?

I guess I can afford it cause im not an athlete or preparing for a sculpting contest.