• bonniepwest
    bonniepwest Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, Cathy! Enjoy...
  • candicer
    candicer Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    jules92761 wrote: »
    Canndicer I am also on 50,000 iu prescription vitamin d. My endocrinologist said I'd probably be on it forever.

Oh my goodness! Forever!? Any explanation as to why your body needs it so much more than usual?
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Jewels211 wrote: »
    I have a couple of questions for you all. #1, is anyone else dealing with at least intermittent hyper smelling ability which I think may be partially what's responsible for suddenly not being able to stomach certain foods? There are times when I can smell the garbage truck when it's 6 blocks away, I mean to the point that I think our whole neighborhood is engulfed in the smell of rotten garbage. Some days when someone has mowed their lawn, I feel like I'm driving through a whole town of fresh-mown grass. And most of the time now, I can't handle broccoli and cauliflower, 2 of my main go-to veggies. Can't even take the feel of them in my mouth, but especially cooked. Right now, that's getting a bit easier, and I can handle cauliflower, and broccoli in small bits on a good day.
    #2, does anyone know if you can get a butt that tends to be flat when it's not well-padded with fat to round up at least some if you do something like Buns of Steel or whatever? I know this is a hereditary thing--Mom's tush was pretty flat, too, but I've never tried to change mine up to this point, because it's almost always been well padded. I'm hoping to change that soon, and I'd like to know there's hope for some nice shape there!

#1 Yes! Although mine is quite intermittent, and only lasts for maybe 4 to 6 hours at a time. It's like someone suddenly cranked up the volume on all the odours around me. Either that or my coworkers really do munch on whole raw onions at lunch time, lol.

#2 Maybe deadlifts but probably more likely squats and hip thrusts. I've never had much of a butt -- and what was there moved slightly southward in recent years -- but it's perking up nicely with weightlifting. And I'm not actually lifting very heavy... yet... slowly working on that.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Inspiring thread. Got a question for those of you who have battled arthritis... How did you get started exercising again? I have my joint pain mostly under control through diet (mostly by eliminating nightshades -- my body reacts severely to them -- and keeping my carbs low because I've found carbs inflammatory) and supplements (glucosamine, vitamin C, magnesium citrate, and collagen). My joints are still somewhat stiff, and my ability to catch my balance when pulled off balance is not where I'd like it to be. I can walk up to two miles in an hour without pain.

Anyhow, how does someone with stiff knees start exercising and regaining flexibility? Is it even possible?
  • AlicesNirvanaHealthWellness
    Options
    Bump
  • TeresaMarie2015
    TeresaMarie2015 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hey there - I'm a young 54 and started in earnest to drop 125 pounds late last year just before Christmas. As of last Friday, I've lose over 30 pounds. I'm tracking now at 3#.week - thanks to following a food plan and working out as my body allows. That's lots of walking!

Look forward to connecting and supporting you all on our shared mission!

Teresa Marie
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Inspiring thread. Got a question for those of you who have battled arthritis... How did you get started exercising again? I have my joint pain mostly under control through diet (mostly by eliminating nightshades -- my body reacts severely to them -- and keeping my carbs low because I've found carbs inflammatory) and supplements (glucosamine, vitamin C, magnesium citrate, and collagen). My joints are still somewhat stiff, and my ability to catch my balance when pulled off balance is not where I'd like it to be. I can walk up to two miles in an hour without pain.

Anyhow, how does someone with stiff knees start exercising and regaining flexibility? Is it even possible?

Have you considered physical therapy as a place to start?

Otherwise, the walking is great, as would be swimming and yoga (yoga would help with balance). For yoga I would recommend a class specializing in arthritis or at least the instructor being knowledgable, so they can help you with modifications. Best of luck!
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I've had knee issues as above. Physical therapist said one of the best things to do is strengthen the muscles AROUND your knees to help support them better and take some of the pressure off. You can probably google this, and find videos on Youtube to help. I have followed exercise videos but don't do the knee stressing ones (like lunges) as deeply. If it hurts, lessen the angles or depth of bends, do a partial bend. The best thing I've found is the weight loss has helped lessen my knee issues. If I pick up a big bag of dog food and carry it, I notice my knees feel worse as I have added temporary weight back on them. Your knees take a lot of abuse carrying around a big load, as you lose they should get better!

• AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Well here I am soon to be 61 and overweight. Have had Lyme for the last year and have not been my best at anything, definitely not at my best on weight loss. Through menopause. I was always the skinny girl and skinny woman. Now I can not look at food without gaining weight. I do physical work and am very active. I hope this thread continues and I will look up the group mentioned.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I'm going to do my best to help continue this thread! Don't have something to share every day but now and then I get inspired.

I weighed myself on the animal scale at the vets' office yesterday just for fun/curiosity. There was a time when I wouldn't have put a toe on that thing!

55835802.png
  • bonniepwest
    Options
    I found that walking in a therapy pool was very kind to my knees before replacement. I also started with physical therapy. Not getting any exercise today. Socked in with ice and no power. :-(
  • trina1049
    Options
    I found that walking in a therapy pool was very kind to my knees before replacement. I also started with physical therapy. Not getting any exercise today. Socked in with ice and no power. :-(

Bad winter this year, stay safe and warm. Also, I use knee supports when I exercise to help keep my knees comfortable.
  • cathy120861
    cathy120861 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Just checking in to be honest about how badly i fell off the wagon while i was in Texas. I know that having a grandson in intensive care is the world's best excuse for emotional eating, but he is doing great now and i am still binging in the middle of the night. Seeing his heartbeat was my inspiration for starting to get healthy and it would be just too pitifully ironic to mess up now that he is born and hte fun really starts. (I am unable to resist attaching a picture of baby jonah in an elephant hat.)

28tl09u5l1if.jpg
  • Datarn
    Datarn Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. Enjoy this time.
  • Jewels211
    Jewels211 Posts: 184 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    For those of you that have had success walking/running, how long did it take for you to be able to step up to a new level? I started on our new treadmill a few weeks ago, and was bummed that I was only comfortable going about 3 mph at most--people always comment that I'm a fast walker, but not on that treadmill for any length of time! Anyway, after a few days, I was able to bump up a bit, and about a week ago, I was able to do the treadmill's preprogrammed intermittent 3.1 & 3.4 mph workout (although I only do 15 minutes of the 35-min workout, but I do it twice a day). But while it may be a touch easier now, I don't feel anywhere near ready to go any faster. I walk generally 5 or 6 days a week. How long will it probably be before I can do any faster? Or should I just concentrate on going longer...or maybe more times a day? With the diabetes, I have to watch not to burn off my carbs too quickly or my blood sugar can bottom out, which leaves me shaky and weak. Anyway, I want to be able to make progress of some sort, but I don't want to burn out--I've always hated exercise, and being okay with this treadmill work is a big thing for me; I don't want to screw that up.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    @jewels211 - 3.5 mph is most efficient speed for most people, above and under is actually less efficient.
    - So if being out of breath is part of what's holding you back, might slip up to that speed to see if it feels easier.

Other than that, for walking which you've done since a kid, you'll need an hour really for body to feel the need to make the max changes.

Your fitness level will improve fast enough that it will soon become the predominate fat burner walking usually is, and you won't have to worry about carb usage.

Though even there, might do some research on improvements to diabetes when muscle carb store is depleted. Even if you'd likely never get there walking, for future reference still good to know, like if you do circuit training, great way to incorporate that.
  • trina1049
    Options
    Just checking in to be honest about how badly i fell off the wagon while i was in Texas. I know that having a grandson in intensive care is the world's best excuse for emotional eating, but he is doing great now and i am still binging in the middle of the night. Seeing his heartbeat was my inspiration for starting to get healthy and it would be just too pitifully ironic to mess up now that he is born and hte fun really starts. (I am unable to resist attaching a picture of baby jonah in an elephant hat.)

28tl09u5l1if.jpg

Congrats! He's just beautiful - hat and all.
  • bonniepwest
    Options
    Cathy, start fresh today! You can do this. That's such a precious baby and you want to be there for him. I'm a fine one to talk, but I got back on the wagon yesterday after blowing it during the snow and ice, and am back on track. If I can do it, YOU can do it!
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1" and was always fit and within a healthy weight range. My weight gain started in 2001 at age 50 (5 years after menopause) due to heart problems and RA. I hurt and felt like my heart would explode at very little exertion. I gained 100 pounds in 8 months and it became even harder to move. My RA was usually controlled, but my heart continued to get worse and by 2007, I was pretty much told I shouldn't do stairs, exercise, etc. as it was feared I would suffer sudden death. Medications helped, but would not get my heart functioning well enough. I continued to gain. In 2010, I was given a pacemaker/CRT/defibrillator implant and I could tell a difference almost immediately. The CRT (cardiac resychronization therapy) portion has that effect on some people. My RA was flaring up again though, so I was still pretty limited in what I could do.

But by January 2014, my heart function was near normal and my RA was in remission. I could finally move without problems. I was looking into bariatric surgery as I had reached 238 (BMI 45). I started doing all the things I needed to do to prepare for surgery like seeing that I could stick to a 1200-calorie a day diet and walk every day. I was determined that if I went through the surgery, I would do what it took to be successful. Instead, I started to lose weight! I joined MFP a couple weeks later. By the time I would have jumped through all the hoops to have the surgery, I no longer qualified for surgery!

I am now at 148.5. (I've dropped 89.5 pounds total, 81.5 since joining MFP). I have gone from a size 22 WP pants to a 10P (just this week). I have gone from XXL tops to MP. I am walking everyday. Doing a cardio workout usually at least 60 minutes and 6 days a week (mostly 7 because I love it). I try to do strength training twice a week (but I must admit I hate it). I have started Tai Chi this year and go twice a week to that!

I'm still not sure where to stop. My ticker goal says 115 as that is where I was most of my life. The science says after 60 we should weigh a little into the "overweight BMI range" and my doctor agrees with that thinking and says 135-140. I would like to get at least to 130 (which would get me into the high end of "healthy" BMI, but lower than my dr. advises) I'll be 64 in April. My question is: How did you decide where to maintain? Science or vanity? I seem to be aiming at vanity.

The progress photo below was taken last month about 6 pounds more than now and one size larger.
    btc7983c6b9l.jpg

56604121.png
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!