So for those maintaining below 2000/day, is this a lifetime commitment?

Options

Replies

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    cloudi2 wrote:
    Golly, did I say something inflammatory or what?
    No, you said several things which were stupid &/or wrong.
    are you able and willing to undertake eating below that caloric amount of 1800 and do the physical formal excersize if that is part of your plan, FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE, AND do you feel that might have ANY impact upon your health? Or quality of life?
    Are you ok with eating your maintenance cals for the rest of your life?
    Yes, I'm fine with maintaining a healthy weight for life. That's why I'm working hard to get there. I don't expect that I will stay at exactly my goal weight every single day, nor do I expect that I will always eat within 50 calories either way of maintenance. But overall, yes, I expect to continue my healthy eating patterns as long as I live. I've done too much hard work to go back to being fat.

Do I think that exercising and being at a healthy weight will have an impact on my health? Of course. It already has. My cholesterol is way down, I can move more, I can move more easily, I can move longer, my heart rate is down, my body fat % is down. (My lean body mass has essentially stayed the same; I think it might be measuerment error showing up saying I've gained 4 lb of LBM. I'm happy simply not to lose muscle mass!)

I had hardly any muscles when I was done dieting. Now I got them all back! :smile:

Best wishes on you for your health into a long old age!

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    cloudi2 wrote: »
    My maintenance calories are between 1300 and 1450.

Been maintaining on that for nearly 3 years now.

Is it frustrating, sure.

Do I sometimes have to be hungry to do it, yes.

But I like myself again, so it's a good trade off

stats:
    40 years old female
    5'7"
    155 pounds

the calculators for me are dead wrong. I weigh everything I eat. And I exercise.

but again, I like how I look, so totally worth it.

This surprizes me to pieces!
    I'm just shy of 5'7", 165 pounds and I maintain at 2300 calories per day with NO excersize!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Plus that I'm 65 years old and I don't diet or eat particularly healthfully!
    I have good bone density, I'm on no medications and have NO healthissues. A non smoker and non drinker.

How is this possible?

I just don't get it. It seems like the maintenance calores are just too low. Oh well, maybe its something in the water over here? I dunno.

it surprises me too. I weigh a lot less than her (same age) and I have a feeling I would still be losing weight on that goal even sedentary. I would disappear.

wow. I feel sorta fat and frumpy now.
    It won't go any lower, the scale I mean.

Still waiting to find out what meds and get them. endocrinologists are pathetically slow.

nah, my weight is probably too low at the moment. i'm also 3 inches shorter than you.

hopefully meds can help you up that calorie goal regardless.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    -
  • Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Before 7 am every single day I log 5 miles at work. By 2pm I have another 3 miles logged.

I work outdoors. I get my exercise. Thyroid issues.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    This OP seems to believe (based on the two threads I've seen her start) that it is in fact healthier to be overweight than to be thin.
    Well, if the choice is to be in the overweight BMI category or the underweight BMI category, it is healthier to be overweight than under.
    But it's healthiest to be in the healthy range, not over or under.

Agreed

eta: for most people. There are some who have overweight BMI due to muscle mass and not fat. But for the majority of people I'd agree.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    So, let me get this straight. You came to a calorie-counting website forum and started a thread for apparently the sole purpose of decrying a calorie deficit?
    1.) What are you selling?
    2.) No one is buying.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    Before 7 am every single day I log 5 miles at work. By 2pm I have another 3 miles logged.

I work outdoors. I get my exercise. Thyroid issues.

Or your metbolizm is truly bonked out from not eating enough!
    Its gotta be a tough slog for you! Wow, you have my sympathy, truly.
    I like being outside too, but shuffeling down country roads is good enough for me.
    Well, and my house is on three stories, so you know between grocery shopping on foot in this hilly town,food prep, and playing accordion ( its kinda heavy) I get somewhat of a type of workout I guess, but nothing like running, my goodness you are active! And all on those measly few calories too! :-( glad you are at least content with the results of your efforts, thats something, I guess.

• skinnysushicat
    skinnysushicat Posts: 138 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    OP, your posts were a bit strange. It seems you can maintain on above 2300 calories. Great! You've found the weight / calorie intake that works for you, and you feel happy at that weight. But surely the fact that your maintenance calories are 2300, shows you that people maintain at different calorie levels? I mean, by your own reckoning, there are people maintaining at 300 below you and 300+ above you - why not below 2000 calories, if they are short / inactive etc?

I know I will be happy sticking at my maintenance level. Sure, I might gain a couple of pounds over Christmas, but I'm going to loose them straight away and stay within 3-4lb of my goal weight. For the rest of my life? Sure. I have lots of older relatives who are morbidly obese. They can't get out and about. Their mobility is poor. They're on tons of blood pressure meds, have replacement joints, and diabetes. These things can happen to anyone, but they're more likely if your BMI is above 25. I love life, I love my body and this beautiful world, and I want to be healthy as long as I can. Food is a blessing and a joy, - and that's why I've put on weight. But I can still enjoy food and excercise a little self control, in order to balance it with my enjoyment of all the other good things in my life! So yes, I'm happy. :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My BMR is around 1259. My TDEE at SEDENTARY is 1511.
    For my *actual* activity level, my TDEE is 1952. I run. I do Pilates. I lift weights. I commute on bike and foot to work.

I'm 5'6.5" and 135LBSs, 50 years old, female.

So, yeah. I maintain on about 2000. Have been. And Buddha willing, I will continue to do so, and then my TDEE will go down... and, I'll have to adjust my intake downward.

The alternative is to be overweight. So I'll keep maintaining. And yes, I'll be healthier at a healthy weight than overweight. I've read this thread and still not sure I get your point other than maybe justifying being overweight because it might be healthier (in your opinion).

ETA: oh, Cloud. Yes, I recall your thread from the other day about BMI. Would we be happy with a higher BMI if it was healthier, and considered sexier etc. I guess the gist is: YOU WANT to be happy at a higher BMI or weight or whatever.
    Go for it.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Is it frustrating, sure.

stats:
    40 years old female
    5'7"
    155 pounds

the calculators for me are dead wrong. I weigh everything I eat. And I exercise.

I'm just shy of 5'7", 165 pounds and I maintain at 2300 calories per day with NO excersize!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have good bone density, I'm on no medications and have NO healthissues. A non smoker and non drinker.

How is this possible?

I just don't get it. It seems like the maintenance calores are just too low. Oh well, maybe its something in the water over here? I dunno.

That's great for you. It's possible because metabolism varies. There are ladies on my friend list who are similar. I find it amusing that you think the rest of us are the strange ones.

How would you respond if someone in my position postulated to you that eating over 2000 calories is always unhealthy because it's more than you need to support your body functions?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited February 2015
    Options

Is it frustrating, sure.

stats:
    40 years old female
    5'7"
    155 pounds

How is this possible?

You maintain on more, in part because of metabolism. In part because you weigh more. You burn more because you weigh more.
    At 5'6.5" we're basically the same height. I weigh 30LBS less. Therefore I burn less. If I were you weight, perhaps I could maintain on that amount of calories. But again, we're all different. So perhaps not.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    For my *actual* activity level, my TDEE is 1952. I run. I do Pilates. I lift weights. I commute on bike and foot to work.

I'm 5'6" and 135LBSs, 50 years old, female.

So, yeah. I maintain on about 2000. Have been. And Buddha willing, I will continue to do so, and then my TDEE will go down... and, I'll have to adjust my intake downward.

The alternative is to be overweight. So I'll keep maintaining. And yes, I'll be healthier at a healthy weight than overweight. I've read this thread and still not sure I get your point other than maybe justifying being overweight because it might be healthier (in your opinion).

There is definate evidence that people over 50 are healthier and live longer at the overweight bmi.
    You can find that info. easily, I can't link to the graphs and the second and third page on the Halls site, sorry, but that's not the only source. As for maintaining a healthy body weight, i think I will try to dig that one up tomarroW. I read it but can't seem to find the source, hopefully the person who wrote the papers I read did their homework and I can reference it! Truly there are several reasons you should take care to be a bit over normal bmi from here on in. i didn't do that myself at your age and wish that I had done.

Anyway, I doubt you will take heed, pretty much everyone thought I was "bonkers" here! :smile:

Never mind though, these things always resolve, and more and more it seems diets and restriction don't seem to be the answer, just like the cholesterol issue, now we see papers that claim fats weren't ever the cause.

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I have no ideas where you are getting these numbers from. I'm 5'10", 150 pounds (21.5 BMI), 54, female. MFP says my maintenance calories at sedentary are 1700. It works - I've done this for several years. I'm not hungry, I eat what I want, my weight has stayed within 3 pounds +- the whole time. This is maintenance. Yes, I plan on doing this forever.

Now, I have a fitbit and, when I walk more, I get to eat more. But not a huge amount more. I usually eat under 2000.

When I was young I would eat a lot more. My super skinny sons do. Each of them eat more calories than my husband and I together. I slowly gained a pound a year when I hit 40, my metabolism slowed down, and my eating didn't.

Yeah, things change when you get older.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

There is definate evidence that people over 50 are healthier and live longer at the overweight bmi.
    You can find that info. easily, I can't link to the graphs and the second and third page on the Halls site, sorry, but that's not the only source. As for maintaining a healthy body weight, i think I will try to dig that one up tomarroW. I read it but can't seem to find the source, hopefully the person who wrote the papers I read did their homework and I can reference it! Truly there are several reasons you should take care to be a bit over normal bmi from here on in. i didn't do that myself at your age and wish that I had done.

Anyway, I doubt you will take heed, pretty much everyone thought I was "bonkers" here! :smile:

Never mind though, these things always resolve, and more and more it seems diets and restriction don't seem to be the answer, just like the cholesterol issue, now we see papers that claim fats weren't ever the cause.

Yeah, you tried to convince me of this the other day. Seems you've convinced yourself. That's what matters. I'll keep doing what I'm doing. Exercising and eating right. cheers
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Most women need between 1600 and 1800 calories a day for maintenance. Eating more will just cause your body to store it as fat. It's excess food.

OP is bonkers, but to be fair this is misleading as well. Plenty women maintain at over 2000 calories. Very petitie women (5'3" and under) who are lightly active do not. Just saying.

Pretty sure OP is trying to suggest that being heavy enough to maintain at 2000 is healthier than being a healthy BMI and maintaining at something under 2000. Which is, of course, nonsense.

I just meant that the average woman who wasn't very active was probably needing around that much. You'll need more of course depending on your activity level and it varies from person to person. My BMR is 2,500 calories per day. Of course I'm 6'2" and weigh about 223 lbs. I lose about .5 a pound a week if I eat at 2,000 calories a day.

Exercise adds in an additional 1,000 - 3,000 per day. My calorie goal for Saturday was 5,500. I generally don't make goal on those days but I average it back in during the week. Today's is 3,500 calories. I don't exercise to eat more. It's honestly a bit of an annoyance some days. Food is mostly just fuel but I do throw in a beer or two( or three) some days. You have to have fun too.

I wouldn't say that this is difficult maintaining this lifestyle. Eating at maintenance is a very very healthy thing. I don't plan on changing anything. I'm probably the only guy at work with healthy blood pressure and normal cholesterol levels.

Fair enough. But at 5'8" and a healthy BMI somewhat active (on my feet for work) my TDEE is about 2100. If I go for a run or work out it is 2400+. At my goal weight (also a healthy BMI, but lower end) I'll be about 1900 if I'm inactive, around 2100+ if I work out.

But that's beside the point. OP is making very odd and nonsensical claims.
  • Aviva92
    Options

well, i'm 40, almost 41. when i'm 50, just for vanity purposes, i do not want to be overweight. i really don't want to wind up as one of those typical old ladies with a big stomach. it's just not attractive.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Zyaedra wrote: »
    I'm curious to know if those who maintain at lower than 2000 a day are happy with that and are you planning to continue it for life. If not what is your plan and do you think that low calorie maintenance will have an impact on you health?

I am 5'9" and I am currently 20 pounds away from my goal weight of 140 pounds. Once I get to that weight, I plan to maintain it with a 1400 calorie diet (if I exercise, I can/will eat more). I totally expect this to be the case for the rest of my life. I've made a commitment to myself to make myself happily healthy and this is what I believe it takes.

As far as how I believe it will impact my health, 1400 calories per day is what it will take to maintain my 140 pound weight once I get there; strictly calorically speaking, it should be fine. Nutrient-wise I am now a vegan, my diet consists mainly vegetables, grains, fruits, nuts, etc--very little oils and processed foods. I feel great and I seem to be doing well so far :smile:

Isn't 1400 about your BMR? Not trying to second guess your numbers, but why would you maintain at your BMR? Wouldn't it be more like 1700 calories (if sedentary)?
  • Aviva92
    Options
    Zyaedra wrote: »
    I'm curious to know if those who maintain at lower than 2000 a day are happy with that and are you planning to continue it for life. If not what is your plan and do you think that low calorie maintenance will have an impact on you health?

I am 5'9" and I am currently 20 pounds away from my goal weight of 140 pounds. Once I get to that weight, I plan to maintain it with a 1400 calorie diet (if I exercise, I can/will eat more). I totally expect this to be the case for the rest of my life. I've made a commitment to myself to make myself happily healthy and this is what I believe it takes.

As far as how I believe it will impact my health, 1400 calories per day is what it will take to maintain my 140 pound weight once I get there; strictly calorically speaking, it should be fine. Nutrient-wise I am now a vegan, my diet consists mainly vegetables, grains, fruits, nuts, etc--very little oils and processed foods. I feel great and I seem to be doing well so far :smile:

I doubt your maintenance at 140 pounds and 34 years old is that low. Why do you think it's that low?
  • Gamliela
    Options
    nxd10 wrote: »
    I have no ideas where you are getting these numbers from. I'm 5'10", 150 pounds (21.5 BMI), 54, female. MFP says my maintenance calories at sedentary are 1700. It works - I've done this for several years. I'm not hungry, I eat what I want, my weight has stayed within 3 pounds +- the whole time. This is maintenance. Yes, I plan on doing this forever.

Now, I have a fitbit and, when I walk more, I get to eat more. But not a huge amount more. I usually eat under 2000.

When I was young I would eat a lot more. My super skinny sons do. Each of them eat more calories than my husband and I together. I slowly gained a pound a year when I hit 40, my metabolism slowed down, and my eating didn't.

Which numbers? My own personal numbers?

I'm 5'7", 65 years old. I eat around 2300 calories a day, no formal excersize and maintain around 165 pounds. I don't diet, I eat three meals a day, two snacks if I need them.

The reason I do this is because I read some scientific reviews that said that eating under 2000 calories can deplete the fat cells so much that certain hormonal deficiencies will occur, thyroid, dopamine, opioid receptors will deplete. You end up with less bone strength, poor digestion, less muscles and cessation of periods if you are a woman and more.

But no one believes me and they feel attacked because it seems the obesity scare is so prevalent, and fat fear is big and people like to feel like movie stars I guess. Well, like skinny movie stars anyway. But thats ok, I just wondered if people were truly prepared to eat so measily a bunch of rations for the rest of their lives when they could be eating more.
    I am surprized that so many people on the maintenance part of MFP maintain at such low calorie intakes or run five miles before breakfast and lift weights in the evening while eating less than I do doing nothing at age 65.
    Best wishes on your health and may you and your family be happy in all the years to come!

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    nxd10 wrote: »

Which numbers? My own personal numbers?

I'm 5'7", 65 years old. I eat around 2300 calories a day, no formal excersize and maintain around 165 pounds. I don't diet, I eat three meals a day, two snacks if I need them.

The reason I do this is because I read some scientific reviews that said that eating under 2000 calories can deplete the fat cells so much that certain hormonal deficiencies will occur, thyroid, dopamine, opioid receptors will deplete. You end up with less bone strength, poor digestion, less muscles and cessation of periods if you are a woman and more.

But no one believes me and they feel attacked because it seems the obesity scare is so prevalent, and fat fear is big and people like to feel like movie stars I guess. Well, like skinny movie stars anyway. But thats ok, I just wondered if people were truly prepared to eat so measily a bunch of rations for the rest of their lives when they could be eating more.
    I am surprized that so many people on the maintenance part of MFP maintain at such low calorie intakes or run five miles before breakfast and lift weights in the evening while eating less than I do doing nothing at age 65.
    Best wishes on your health and may you and your family be happy in all the years to come!

I suspect no one feels attacked. Best of luck to you as well. You seem happy at that weight. So that's what really matters.

PS: you have an odd sense of what it "takes" to maintain on 2000. But whatever.