Yeah...I'm THAT person at the gym..

Options

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i have ear buds in. i cant hear anything other than my music. LOL
    i also dont care what anyone else is doing, im there for me, not them.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I workout in a weight/powerlifting gym. They look at you funny if you don't grunt and drop your weights.
  • TheBigFb
    TheBigFb Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    dym123 wrote: »
    I workout in a weight/powerlifting gym. They look at you funny if you don't grunt and drop your weights.

Even if they are like really small weights?

• Aliciaaah
    Aliciaaah Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty animated at the gym, but I'm completely in my own world. I don't grunt so much.. but I've been known to drop the F-Bomb after a tough set. I also laugh every time I go to failure, just a natural reaction for me. Must be the endorphins. Failure is one of my favorite feelings. I also tend to sing or hum a bit when I have my headphones on.

People generally leave me alone at the gym though. It's pretty clear I mean business when I'm there. The only comments I get are guys that are surprised by how much I lift and ask how long I've been doing it.

But I don't think I realize how silly I come off. Sometimes I find myself standing there with my nose all scrunched up at a guy for having the weight I want, or for being on the bench I'm eyeing lol. Somewhat like a kid. I also do all of this usually in full hair (tied up of course) and makeup because I go after work. In full sweat mode.

I <3 the gym.
  • Brookin973
    Brookin973 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If I were the gym owner, I’d have a whole series of questions for the woman that complained. Exactly what bothers you about someone grunting when they lift? Would you have the same feelings if they were talking on the phone and you could hear them? Are you offended when men grunt? Have you ever exerted yourself to a point you had to gasp, grunt or growl?

Then finally, have you heard of Planet Fitness? There’s one two miles that way, I won’t charge you to cancel your contract.

The thing is, though, these "critical" women probably couldn't care less what the OP does in the gym. It's likely all in her head, and it makes her feel awesome to assume these things. Kind of like it makes her feel badass to come on MFP to tell everyone that she is the hardest working female in the gym. Women who lift heavy are a dime a dozen now. We get it, it's a thing. But good for you OP, keep working hard.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    MSeel1984 wrote: »
    I avoid the gym at all costs because running outside beats the hamster wheel any day. The end.

running =/= lifting
  • TheBigFb
    Options
    That deserved better
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    walldancer wrote: »
    I was venting, but thanks for your criticism..mr flexing in the mirror selfie pic :)
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    ummm OK ….thanks…

don't want to call attention to yourself, but you post a thread calling attention to yourself….

hmmm yea, I was not the one saying I am not trying to call attention to myself....

we get it, you are the bad *kitten* in the gym that everyone complains about...

This guy is a major troll, just ignore him.

Walldancer, you are awesome in my opinion. Some people get jealous of heavy lifting, You have to just ignore those haters. They just wish they could be like you. Those that whine about grunting or other noises should take their sorry *kitten* back home to workout.

Um. no he's not a troll.

humble brag post is a humble brag post.

Sorry not sorry that we call it like it is.

Good for her she's lifting- it's a none issue if she's grunting- lots of people grunt.
    -
    she's not special for it.

Definitely this.

Yet one more reason I love my home gym
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    I avoid the gym at all costs because running outside beats the hamster wheel any day. The end.

k. but where do you do your lifting?

• JoKnowsJo
    JoKnowsJo Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    i have ear buds in. i cant hear anything other than my music. LOL
    i also dont care what anyone else is doing, im there for me, not them.

Ditto.... exactly...and to quote my favorite quarterback R...E...L...A....X...!
    after your workout of course...it's just the gym...get your grunts in and move on... ;)

• JoRocka
    edited February 2015
    Options
    TheBigFb wrote: »
    That deserved better

You're right. let me work on this.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    TheBigFb wrote: »
    dym123 wrote: »

Even if they are like really small weights?

Actually I haven't seen any really small weights, but I've only just started and I don't use them.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I do dislike that bro pack that feels the need to tell "its all you bro!" and "push it" while the lifter screams like he's giving birth.

Some moderate grunting? Do what you do.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Brookin973 wrote: »
    If I were the gym owner, I’d have a whole series of questions for the woman that complained. Exactly what bothers you about someone grunting when they lift? Would you have the same feelings if they were talking on the phone and you could hear them? Are you offended when men grunt? Have you ever exerted yourself to a point you had to gasp, grunt or growl?

Then finally, have you heard of Planet Fitness? There’s one two miles that way, I won’t charge you to cancel your contract.

The thing is, though, these "critical" women probably couldn't care less what the OP does in the gym. It's likely all in her head, and it makes her feel awesome to assume these things. Kind of like it makes her feel badass to come on MFP to tell everyone that she is the hardest working female in the gym. Women who lift heavy are a dime a dozen now. We get it, it's a thing. But good for you OP, keep working hard.

I guess I didn’t take her post as bragging. Just a frustration with not being able to do her thing in the gym she frequents. I imagine we all have a frustration story or more from the gyms we train at (I certainly do). You can make some people happy, you can’t make everyone happy.
  • JoRocka
    Options

tumblr_m1j068dzQ71qcpel0_zps5055177a.jpg
  • JoRocka
    Options

6et1op_zps796277ed.jpg
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

tumblr_m1j068dzQ71qcpel0_zps5055177a.jpg

That’s hilarious!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I do dislike that bro pack that feels the need to tell "its all you bro!" and "push it" while the lifter screams like he's giving birth.

ahhh yes, the birthing pains of lifting weights...
  • TheBigFb
    Options

Bro Pack, that what we calling it now. I believe it more "closet" or "beard" no?