Yeah...I'm THAT person at the gym..

Options

Replies

• TheBigFb
    TheBigFb Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    MSeel1984 wrote: »
    I avoid the gym at all costs because running outside beats the hamster wheel any day. The end.

tumblr_m1j068dzQ71qcpel0_zps5055177a.jpg

Much better ;-)

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    MSeel1984 wrote: »
    I avoid the gym at all costs because running outside beats the hamster wheel any day. The end.

I don't think running was discussed ...but thanks for the input!
  • TheBigFb
    Options
    no one reads, everyone just replies
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    I do dislike that bro pack that feels the need to tell "its all you bro!" and "push it" while the lifter screams like he's giving birth.

Some moderate grunting? Do what you do.

having someone in your ear like that or being on the receiving end of a slap chop can mean the difference between hitting that PR and failing.

this ain't curves.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I don't grunt....

I just do this dance after all completed sets...

K9bhUZo_zpsvpqolxtx.gif
  • marcolbmp
    marcolbmp Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I think most people wear ear buds at my gym, no one would hear you anyway.
    Btw, women that lift heavy are sexy...just sayin.
  • melorastar
    melorastar Posts: 31 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I can't believe someone made a complaint about it! What a cow, she's probably just jealous that you obviously are putting in more effort than her. Keep doing what you're doing, the gym is available to us for our own needs and plus if it really bothers her maybe she should learn to turn up her music! Total respect to you *bows*
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Brookin973 wrote: »
    If I were the gym owner, I’d have a whole series of questions for the woman that complained. Exactly what bothers you about someone grunting when they lift? Would you have the same feelings if they were talking on the phone and you could hear them? Are you offended when men grunt? Have you ever exerted yourself to a point you had to gasp, grunt or growl?

Then finally, have you heard of Planet Fitness? There’s one two miles that way, I won’t charge you to cancel your contract.

The thing is, though, these "critical" women probably couldn't care less what the OP does in the gym. It's likely all in her head, and it makes her feel awesome to assume these things. Kind of like it makes her feel badass to come on MFP to tell everyone that she is the hardest working female in the gym. Women who lift heavy are a dime a dozen now. We get it, it's a thing. But good for you OP, keep working hard.

I guess I didn’t take her post as bragging. Just a frustration with not being able to do her thing in the gym she frequents. I imagine we all have a frustration story or more from the gyms we train at (I certainly do). You can make some people happy, you can’t make everyone happy.

I'm not picking on you but you bring up that this gym is frequented by the OP and she should be able to do what she wants. I get that, and I agree. I have to wonder, though, isn't the woman who complained also entitled to that? She's a paying member as well. And to be fair, we haven't heard the woman's or management's side of things. Maybe OP sounded like she was hurting herself and that's why the woman complained? Maybe the woman is just a PITA. I don't know, I wasn't there.

I do think this whole thing puts management in a hard place because either way they may lose a paying customer. Personally, if I were management and felt both women had legitimate complaints and it was more of a personality difference, I'd suggest they either find a way to work together or come at different times from one another. Perhaps OP could talk to the woman?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    "what a cow"

hahahaha.

I got yelled at over the weekend for telling someone to not be such an angry heifer. Her husband was not happy, and I wasn't having it.
  • skullshank
    Options
    melorastar wrote: »
    I can't believe someone made a complaint about it! What a cow, she's probably just jealous that you obviously are putting in more effort than her. Keep doing what you're doing, the gym is available to us for our own needs and plus if it really bothers her maybe she should learn to turn up her music! Total respect to you *bows*

name-calling and the jealousy card in one post?

anyone playing bingo today?
  • TheBigFb
    Options
    I aint even going to try anymore
  • skullshank
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    "what a cow"

hahahaha.

I got yelled at over the weekend for telling someone to not be such an angry heifer. Her husband was not happy, and I wasn't having it.

maybe it was the "angry" bit that set him off?

funny-some-of-this-mad-cow-animated-gif.gif
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I do dislike that bro pack that feels the need to tell "its all you bro!" and "push it" while the lifter screams like he's giving birth.

A spotter's usually needed when going for a new max (or, at least, something that feels effing heavy) - what's your problem with a little encouragement?

I was doing this very thing for my brother last week (not at a gym although I would have felt perfectly justified doing it there) when he went for a bench PR.

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Brookin973 wrote: »
    If I were the gym owner, I’d have a whole series of questions for the woman that complained. Exactly what bothers you about someone grunting when they lift? Would you have the same feelings if they were talking on the phone and you could hear them? Are you offended when men grunt? Have you ever exerted yourself to a point you had to gasp, grunt or growl?

Then finally, have you heard of Planet Fitness? There’s one two miles that way, I won’t charge you to cancel your contract.

The thing is, though, these "critical" women probably couldn't care less what the OP does in the gym. It's likely all in her head, and it makes her feel awesome to assume these things. Kind of like it makes her feel badass to come on MFP to tell everyone that she is the hardest working female in the gym. Women who lift heavy are a dime a dozen now. We get it, it's a thing. But good for you OP, keep working hard.

I guess I didn’t take her post as bragging. Just a frustration with not being able to do her thing in the gym she frequents. I imagine we all have a frustration story or more from the gyms we train at (I certainly do). You can make some people happy, you can’t make everyone happy.

Same, I don't get the pile-on.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    TheBigFb wrote: »
    dym123 wrote: »
    I workout in a weight/powerlifting gym. They look at you funny if you don't grunt and drop your weights.

Even if they are like really small weights?

I totally want to go and pick up some pink one pounders with an exaggerated grunt, slam them down on the mat, and then shout, "HELL YEAH, PERSONAL RECORD, BABY!!!!" as I strut out of the gym like Rocky.
  • TheBigFb
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »

A spotter's usually needed when going for a new max (or, at least, something that feels effing heavy) - what's your problem with a little encouragement?

I was doing this very thing for my brother last week (not at a gym although I would have felt perfectly justified doing it there) when he went for a bench PR.

I find having no spotter helps you lift it

• Aliciaaah
    Aliciaaah Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I don't grunt....

I just do this dance after all completed sets...

K9bhUZo_zpsvpqolxtx.gif

In all seriousness I stick my tongue out like that after almost all of my hard sets hahaaaa. No dance though.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    ZFG. Sometimes people grunt. *kitten* is heavy. Sometimes people are jerks about someone grunting. People can be judgmental and ignorant. I do believe the OP was merely venting her frustration about a specific situation. She is entitled to do so. And yes, humble post is ironic.

/thread
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    skullshank wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    "what a cow"

hahahaha.

maybe it was the "angry" bit that set him off?

funny-some-of-this-mad-cow-animated-gif.gif

hahaha, I like it.

It was a mess, just entitled people treating a server like fecal matter with legs, and then getting upset when a third party, who wouldn't have minded providing physical corrective action as needed, called them on it.

They both needed a belt across the backside, like children.