So you want a nice stomach

Options

Replies

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed by how much I feel squats in my lower abdominals...I didn't at first, but I deepened my squat and added some weight and hoooooooooo mama! I feel them in my quads while performing them, but within 8 hours, the lower core range between my hips is where I feel it!

I also notice that doing deadlifts has really strengthened my lower back to the point where I tend to sit up straight by default, rather than crumpling like a rag doll like I did just a few months ago.

Signed,

N00b Compound Lift True Believer
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    I'm amazed by how much I feel squats in my lower abdominals...I didn't at first, but I deepened my squat and added some weight and hoooooooooo mama! I feel them in my quads while performing them, but within 8 hours, the lower core range between my hips is where I feel it!

I also notice that doing deadlifts has really strengthened my lower back to the point where I tend to sit up straight by default, rather than crumpling like a rag doll like I did just a few months ago.

Signed,

For me front squats are the ab killer. For front squats I go ATG and the next few days my abs are very sore. Also, anything with one arm or one leg at a time really challenge the core.
  • ColinsMommaOC
    ColinsMommaOC Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post... I got a food scale today and have been spending my morning experimenting by weighing out some of the pre-portioned foods in my pantry... I am amazed how off they were :s
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    EWJLang wrote: »

Signed,

For me front squats are the ab killer. For front squats I go ATG and the next few days my abs are very sore. Also, anything with one arm or one leg at a time really challenge the core.

I don't know how to classify my squats, I don't have a squat rack so I hold a 25lb Dumbbells in each hand and go as ATG as my knees will let me.
  • jontucc
    jontucc Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hi, just wondering if a workout like jillian michaels 30 day shred would be intense enough to retain muscle mass while losing fat slowly?
    I am not overweight, but do have a lot of fat especially around the tummy. I am eating enough to lose around half pound per week. I don't care if I don't lose any more weight but would like to reduce the fat. Also after 2 kids i have diastasis recti around 5cm gap.
    Would appreciate any guidance.

Also if this helps my stats are:

Height 157 cm = 5'2"
    Weight 50kg = 110 pounds
    Now my waist is 80 cm = 32" therefore very large for my weight!
  • emilysplate
    Options
    Hi I love this post, just wanted some input on my plan.
    My stats:
    Female, 18 years old
    5'0
    125 lbs
    I do resistance training circuits(30 mins) 3x a week followed by 30 mins cardio ;1 hour total), and straight cardio 45-60 mins 3x week. I love working out and always have. I know I do a lot of cardio but I really enjoy it! My maintenance without working out is 1500 and I burn 500 cals ( according to polar watch) per workout. I plan to eat 1500 cals and therefore i should lose about a pound (or a little less because i have 1 rest day a week, so i will be eating at maintenance once a week, and in a 500 cal deifict 6x week=3000 cals). Does this sound about right? I plan to eat in moderation but mostly healthy whole foods. I know i am technically not overweight but i am definitely not comfortable with my body, and want to lose about 20-25 pounds. This would leave me at 100-105 pounds which is a healthy weight for me ( i used to be this much before i started emotionally eating so i know i don't look too skinny at this weight). Thanks for any suggestions!
  • ilirlena40
    ilirlena40 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have 2 questions so read carefully OK

1. Will I build muscle if I workout but NOT get enough protein?
    2. Will I lose muscle if stop working out but GET enough protein?

Thanks
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ilirlena40 wrote: »

Thanks

1) less than if you did.
    2) less than if you didn't.

Edit: Maybe the answer should be longer.

1) If you work out (and are at surplus or at least maintenance) you'll gain muscle mass. The amount of muscle gets higher as you get in more protein, up to a point.
    2) If you're in a deficit you'll lose fat and muscles. The amount of muscle lost can get lowered significantly if you work out and get enough protein. Enough protein alone has less of an effect than paired with working out.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    jontucc wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering if a workout like jillian michaels 30 day shred would be intense enough to retain muscle mass while losing fat slowly?
    I am not overweight, but do have a lot of fat especially around the tummy. I am eating enough to lose around half pound per week. I don't care if I don't lose any more weight but would like to reduce the fat. Also after 2 kids i have diastasis recti around 5cm gap.
    Would appreciate any guidance.

Also if this helps my stats are:

Height 157 cm = 5'2"
    Weight 50kg = 110 pounds
    Now my waist is 80 cm = 32" therefore very large for my weight!

@jontucc I don't really know much about 30 day shred. If you are using your muscles and challenging them every workout it will help. Do you use weights? Are you progressively using heavier? Are you challenging your muscles? My impression is that it's more of a cardio routine.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Hi I love this post, just wanted some input on my plan.
    My stats:
    Female, 18 years old
    5'0
    125 lbs
    I do resistance training circuits(30 mins) 3x a week followed by 30 mins cardio ;1 hour total), and straight cardio 45-60 mins 3x week. I love working out and always have. I know I do a lot of cardio but I really enjoy it! My maintenance without working out is 1500 and I burn 500 cals ( according to polar watch) per workout. I plan to eat 1500 cals and therefore i should lose about a pound (or a little less because i have 1 rest day a week, so i will be eating at maintenance once a week, and in a 500 cal deifict 6x week=3000 cals). Does this sound about right? I plan to eat in moderation but mostly healthy whole foods. I know i am technically not overweight but i am definitely not comfortable with my body, and want to lose about 20-25 pounds. This would leave me at 100-105 pounds which is a healthy weight for me ( i used to be this much before i started emotionally eating so i know i don't look too skinny at this weight). Thanks for any suggestions!

@emilysplate I would switch from circuits to a lifting routine and drop the cardio from lifting days to use a whole hour strength training. There are some great routines on bodybuilding.com or New Rules of Lifting for Women. I think you should not aim to lose a pound a week, but half a pound. Faster isn't always better especially when you aren't really overweight.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    ilirlena40 wrote: »

Thanks

@ilirlena40 I always read carefully.

Are you trying to get by with absolute minimums? Why do your questions seem like you are trying to pick the lesser of two evils (either eat enough protein or do strength training).

I've read your other posts in my threads and a few others. You aren't interested in resistance training and you don't really care about your macros. That's fine for weight loss. You need both adequate protein and resistance training for optimal muscle retention to make sure you are losing mostly fat. If you skip one or the other it will have an impact. If you want to build lean mass you need adequate protein. If you want to keep your muscle you need resistance training. It's not a matter of choosing which one is more important because they both are.
  • Christinaluvly
    Christinaluvly Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    thank-you-gif-1.gif

• jontucc
    jontucc Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. It is combination of cardio and strength training but light weights and body weight eg push ups, lunges, squats and does get progressively harder.
    I guess I will stick with the 30 day program and build up my basic fitness level and then look at focusing more on strength training.
  • xprplstardust
    xprplstardust Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    bump for later.
  • heavenly2012mph
    Options
    Yes
  • heavenly2012mph
    Options
    Stay strong ur fighter never give up
  • jewelnixon
    Options
    Great post!
  • AbysmalFitness
    AbysmalFitness Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You want to lose belly fat and have a nice flat toned mid section? We see that a lot on this site. Hell, that was my goal for my birthday last year. We all want to be able to take our shirt off at the pool or beach and look great, but how do we do it?

1. Slight calorie deficit. Eating 800 calories and killing yourself in the gym is not going to get you there any faster. You need to fuel your body appropriately. I suggest the TDEE-20% method. www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc (If you have questions please feel free to ask them here). Make sure to weigh everything you eat! Guessing could put you well over your calories.

2. Strength training. If you want that toned mid section look you have to put some muscle there. If you just want a nice flat stomach muscle will still help it look tight. You can begin with Strong Lifts, a hypertrophy routine or a strength program from bodybuilding.com (free!). One that includes compound lifts like deadlift, squat, bench press and pull ups will help. Work on increasing the amount of weight you use. When the weight gets heavier you engage your core more and it builds the muscle.

3. Muscle insurance. There are a variety of studies done on the amount of protein the body needs. I like to think of higher protein as muscle insurance. My suggestion is about 1gram of protein per pound of lean mass. Make sure to get fat in your diet to help joints and metabolic processes. Make sure to get carbs in your diet to fuel workouts.

4. Cardio. I like cardio once or twice a week for 30 minutes. It's good for the heart and lungs. It doesn't add much to the calorie burn for the week, but it helps even things out in case you haven't been completely accurate weighing food.

5. Patience! It is not going to happen overnight. If you stick with it you could lose around 1% body fat a month. We aren't going to be perfect all the time. Enjoy birthdays and holidays. It is life and things will happen. Don't stress, learn to love the process.

FINALLY: Losing fat is like trying to dry out a sponge. You can't dry a corner while the rest of it is still wet. You won't magically lose belly fat or thigh fat or any other fat. It will come off where it wants to. Keep working at it! It is possible!

• Jomana19990
    Jomana19990 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Totally right..
    Thanks ❤
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options

Even if you needed to strengthen your core (like many of us do after having babies) I still wouldn't suggest crunches (or planks). There are much more effective ways.

I'd like to ask you what are the more effective ways... In another reply you said you felt it most in front squat, is there any other ones? I have a weak core (I walked in anterior pelvic posture for years) and often get back pain because of it...