What do you think the size of a healthy woman would be?

Options

Replies

• benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Morgan5647 wrote: »
    @benefiting‌

What size do you think "ideal" is?
    I think realistically 8 (12 Australian)-10 (14 Australian) would be more ideal size for average woman who has the same height of a model and the model in question is a size 10 and is being called a plus size hence why this topic began. I just wanted to know if other people saw it differently than me or not.

• Morgan5647
    Morgan5647 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    benefiting wrote: »
    For me 40-55kg (88-120lb) is a perfect range for a girl < 5'9"

Healthy depends more upon body fat %, diet, and lifestyle than things like dress size. Hard to relate the two, but for sure a sedentary lifestyle with high sugar intake is going to lead to higher bf% and health problems.

Did you really just say it is ok for a grown woman to weigh 88lbs? A ten year old weighs that. Only if she is a dwarf would that be ok.

Word.

I think anything under 125 for anyone over 4 feet 8 is underweight and the fact is the taller you are the more weigh the more weight you should have on you and based on BMI alone someone who is 125LB at 5"10 is underweight. I know it call comes down to body type and such but that my rule of thumb.

I'm like 114lb and 5ft 4 and have a bmi of roughly 20-I'm not underweight and defo would not even consider myself skinny.
  • strozman
    strozman Posts: 2,623 Member
    Options
    How I felt posting in this thread

RfXXt1J.jpg
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    @benefiting‌

I think realistically 8 (12 Australian)-10 (14 Australian) would be more ideal size for average woman who has the same height of a model and the model in question is a size 10 and is being called a plus size hence why this topic began. I just wanted to know if other people saw it differently than me or not.

Body shaming goes both ways.

Why this thread is still kicking surprises me, ideal is whatever works for said person.
  • Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I just read an article about how a woman who is a size 14 (Australian) is classed as a plus size model. I would assume that healthy woman would infact be around size 12-14 (size 10-12 for US) and yet this woman is being called plus size?!

I know that you shouldn't go off dress size at the end of the day but I'm curious as the article was directed towards models rather than real life situtions where weight, height, BMI, etc would be more effective to answer what is healthy.

I would also judge BMI and current body fat %, like I am not fat (48 kilos, 161 sm) but my current body fat is 27 % so weight doesn't mean basically anything.
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,255 Member
    Options
    strozman wrote: »
    How I felt posting in this thread

RfXXt1J.jpg

Perfect!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    Who defines what THE ideal body size is? This is a completely different question from your OP about health, BTW.

But, to whoever makes the body size rules out there...

pmoCJrN.gif

Nope. My orginal question was the first paragraph I wrote but I believe I wrote the second part so people are aware I know it isn't how you measure health. The orginal question was what size do you find healthy not what is it actually healthy which I later said was more towards what we precieve as a healthy size not what is a healthy size. I may of worded it wrong but I know what I mean and some have realised that too. :)

But then you ask if a model size 0 is ideal or if a plus size is ideal. Ideal by what standards?

This question has no answer. If it's health standards, it depends on a physical. We can't determine what is healthy or not by size, unless morbid obesity is apparent. How can one say that a 10 is less healthy than a 2 without knowing medical status. So, that doesn't work.

If it's a physical beauty ideal that you are getting at, it depends on personal preference. There is no one right way to be. Some people like very skinny women. Others like big women. No one is right or wrong.

Instead of trying to answer the impossible, it's better to just not care. Focus instead on being the best version of yourself you can be, regardless of what a made-up, airbrushed, professionally clothed model looks like on paper.

I said if you think 0 is ideal or if something closer to plus size is ideal I believe (and if I didn't I need to learn to prove read and such) and by ideal I mean ideal to you. That's why the question says: What do you think the size of a healthy woman would be because it's your opinion about the subject, not anyone elses. I am getting at physical apperence and not internal which I think I have stated before.

I don't tend to care about the modelling world as I know that it isn't realstic and such but just because we know better doesn't mean that there is people out there not being affected by the sitution. I think they should just call them models, not plus size and such. It's body shaming in a way.

And you aren't participating in that body shaming by asking people to share their "ideal" body size and making declarations about what YOU think is ideal?

How do you think someone reading this feels who is 5'10 and naturally a size 6 long? Or 5'10 and a size 18?

That's why this whole debate is stupid. Just do you and stop trying to put people in one box or another.
  • benefiting
    Options

Healthy depends more upon body fat %, diet, and lifestyle than things like dress size. Hard to relate the two, but for sure a sedentary lifestyle with high sugar intake is going to lead to higher bf% and health problems.

Did you really just say it is ok for a grown woman to weigh 88lbs? A ten year old weighs that. Only if she is a dwarf would that be ok.

Word.

I think anything under 125 for anyone over 4 feet 8 is underweight and the fact is the taller you are the more weigh the more weight you should have on you and based on BMI alone someone who is 125LB at 5"10 is underweight. I know it call comes down to body type and such but that my rule of thumb.

I'm like 114lb and 5ft 4 and have a bmi of roughly 20-I'm not underweight and defo would not even consider myself skinny.

Sorry. Took the information completely wrong because comfirming. You are correct. You aren't underweight. It's the other way in fact anyone around 5.7" and over is underweight and anyone who is 4.8" is overweight but it still proves my point, these models who are under 125 are underweight, it may not be by much but they're. Though, this model is also just in the overweight caterogy but I still view her as a better figure for normal woman than these skinner models.
  • Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Steph38878 wrote: »
    I'm not sure about a specific size. My husband just says he prefers curves to a super thin woman.

I am sorry but we aren't discussing mens preference here, we are discussing HEALTH men can like you super,super skinny, they can like you curvy too but someones preference doesn't equal health.
  • benefiting
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Who defines what THE ideal body size is? This is a completely different question from your OP about health, BTW.

But, to whoever makes the body size rules out there...

pmoCJrN.gif

Nope. My orginal question was the first paragraph I wrote but I believe I wrote the second part so people are aware I know it isn't how you measure health. The orginal question was what size do you find healthy not what is it actually healthy which I later said was more towards what we precieve as a healthy size not what is a healthy size. I may of worded it wrong but I know what I mean and some have realised that too. :)

But then you ask if a model size 0 is ideal or if a plus size is ideal. Ideal by what standards?

This question has no answer. If it's health standards, it depends on a physical. We can't determine what is healthy or not by size, unless morbid obesity is apparent. How can one say that a 10 is less healthy than a 2 without knowing medical status. So, that doesn't work.

If it's a physical beauty ideal that you are getting at, it depends on personal preference. There is no one right way to be. Some people like very skinny women. Others like big women. No one is right or wrong.

Instead of trying to answer the impossible, it's better to just not care. Focus instead on being the best version of yourself you can be, regardless of what a made-up, airbrushed, professionally clothed model looks like on paper.

I said if you think 0 is ideal or if something closer to plus size is ideal I believe (and if I didn't I need to learn to prove read and such) and by ideal I mean ideal to you. That's why the question says: What do you think the size of a healthy woman would be because it's your opinion about the subject, not anyone elses. I am getting at physical apperence and not internal which I think I have stated before.

I don't tend to care about the modelling world as I know that it isn't realstic and such but just because we know better doesn't mean that there is people out there not being affected by the sitution. I think they should just call them models, not plus size and such. It's body shaming in a way.

And you aren't participating in that body shaming by asking people to share their "ideal" body size and making declarations about what YOU think is ideal?

How do you think someone reading this feels who is 5'10 and naturally a size 6 long? Or 5'10 and a size 18?

That's why this whole debate is stupid. Just do you and stop trying to put people in one box or another.

I don't feel I am body shaming. I am asking for an opinion, it doesn't mean it is right or wrong. It's just an opinion as is my opinions. All the stuff about underweight is based on BMI, which is something I tend to lean on for a guide but at the end of the day it's how you feel inside and how you think of yourself on the outside that counts. I just feel like this woman should just be called a model, not a plus size model. That is all.
  • PRMinx
    Options

Word.

Sorry. Took the information completely wrong because comfirming. You are correct. You aren't underweight. It's the other way in fact anyone around 5.7" and over is underweight and anyone who is 4.8" is overweight but it still proves my point, these models who are under 125 are underweight, it may not be by much but they're. Though, this model is also just in the overweight caterogy but I still view her as a better figure for normal woman than these skinner models.

Um, yeah.
  • benefiting
    Options

Word.

Um, yeah.

Yes, I have a right to have an opinion. I have a right to think that the "plus size model" is a better figure for woman to look up to and they're skinner, hence the term skinner models. It isn't body shaming, they're skinner than her.
  • PRMinx
    Options

Word.

Um, yeah.

Yes, I have a right to have an opinion. I have a right to think that the "plus size model" is a better figure for woman to look up to and they're skinner, hence the term skinner models. It isn't body shaming, they're skinner than her.

You have a right to think whatever you want.

Don't think for a second though that posting comments like this isn't body shaming. I mean, you can think that way but you would be kidding yourself.

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

Word.

Um, yeah.

Don't think for a second though that posting comments like this isn't body shaming. I mean, you can think that way but you would be kidding yourself.
    <3
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Size varies on so many things. So does weight. It's simply impossible to pick one size or one weight that equals healthy. You have asked an unanswerable question.

I refuse to think it's an unanwerable question because I didn't say whether it was health or not, due to it obviously not being an accurate way of measument but the veiw of the viewers and aspiring to be thin like the models themselves. Do people find the size 0 or so models to be the ideal or do they think someone who is closer to a plus size to be more ideal? That is what I'm getting at.

You do understand that "ideal" is going to be in the eye of the beholder right...and that everyone has different tastes?

Personally, I prefer a fuller, athletic look...example, Jennifer Parilla...this is very similar to my wife's body type save for Jennifer is a bit leaner here and has slightly larger thighs.

51-120.jpg

I personally am not attracted to the rail thin with no fat and no muscle...but my best friend is.

If you think there's a one size fits all, you are sorely mistaken.
  • Oops_Myhaloslipped
    Oops_Myhaloslipped Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    I think you can be a size 14 and be healthy and fit, I'm not going to say skinny, skinny is out, fit is in, and the way everyone should be. I also think you can be a size 6 and be unhealthy. As far as obese? That all depends on your BMI. If you look at the picture, all these ladies look healthy and are "plus" size. There's a few who aren't "plus" size, but you can see the comparison, none of them look fat. It's all in how you carry yourself, what you eat, and how much you exercise. You can also be "skinny fat". I'm not trying to get into my old size 5 jeans, I'm trying to be healthy and fit. If I stay at a 9 for the rest of my life, if I'm healthy and fit, I'll be happy with that.
    t6tsz7ncyuml.jpg
  • benefiting
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Size varies on so many things. So does weight. It's simply impossible to pick one size or one weight that equals healthy. You have asked an unanswerable question.

I refuse to think it's an unanwerable question because I didn't say whether it was health or not, due to it obviously not being an accurate way of measument but the veiw of the viewers and aspiring to be thin like the models themselves. Do people find the size 0 or so models to be the ideal or do they think someone who is closer to a plus size to be more ideal? That is what I'm getting at.

You do understand that "ideal" is going to be in the eye of the beholder right...and that everyone has different tastes?

Personally, I prefer a fuller, athletic look...example, Jennifer Parilla...this is very similar to my wife's body type save for Jennifer is a bit leaner here and has slightly larger thighs.

51-120.jpg

I personally am not attracted to the rail thin with no fat and no muscle...but my best friend is.

If you think there's a one size fits all, you are sorely mistaken.

Nope. I actually wanted to know what people's opinions were as their own. Not that one would fit all. I think that's what people assume I want but it isn't. I know it will differ depending on the person. :)
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    @benefiting‌

What?!?!?! That makes no sense. A size 8 is a size 8 whether the person wearing it is 4'8 or 6'2. Are you saying both women are the same amount of 'healthy'??

• benefiting
    edited February 2015
    Options

Word.

Um, yeah.

The only point I ended up trying to get across is that normal models shouldn't be the face of what is ideal because to some people it is and that a bigger woman or even somewhere inbetween would be more realstic and ideal in my opinion. The rest was just asking for personal opinions of you guys. If you're skinner and feel happy and healthy good for you, my intentions weren't to offend you through what I've said. I honestly thought it was a harmless question but apparently not. Lesson learnt!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Also, from a guys perspective...we really don't have a clue what size you are...none of those numbers make any sense, and we don't know or care to know. If you say you're a size 8 or 12 or whatever, that is completely meaningless information for most guys...it just seems like yet another number for women to obsess about.