WHAT, NESTLE, HOW COULD YOU?!?!

Options

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Mars better not follow suit and start effing with Snickers or there WILL be trouble :neutral_face:
    (I'm still pissed off they're not called Marathon anymore)
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    fatjon73 wrote: »
    Also when a product changes to all natural you can definitely taste a difference. If you had one of each and ate both you would tell a difference. But as you usually don't eat them all the time usually you do not notice the change. But working with it I do notice a big difference.

In this case it should be an improvement. It hit a point in the last 10 years, they weren't allowed to refer to a lot of what was being sold as "real chocolate" because it didn't meet those standards anymore. There are a lot of products that, if people are old enough to remember what they tasted like 40ish years ago, they tasted better than they do today. In the 70's, they still used sugar and less fillers. It was during the 80's and 90's that all the sugar replacements and additives started being used because they were cheaper and extended shelf life. Everything from cereal to Twinkies tasted worse as time went on, even fast food.

• Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »
    Mars better not follow suit and start effing with Snickers or there WILL be trouble :neutral_face:

They were called Marathon?? As in, run a marathon and then eat a chocolate bar?? I like that!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Hershey is never worth the calories for me. Heck it could be half the calories... Still not.

Godiva is Belgian, I believe. Lindt is Swiss. I love both. My grandmother was Belgian and we used to buy Leonidas over there. I'd buy a whole 250g box for myself and eat the whole thing in two days. Good times. Now my mom brings me back Cote d'Or, which is pretty good as well.
  • 3laine75
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »

They were called Marathon?? As in, run a marathon and then eat a chocolate bar?? I like that!

Yes, I don't know what they were called over there. They were Marathon here and Snickers in Europe and they changed loads of stuff so it was the same name in the EU.

Changing Jif to Cif annoyed me too (bathroom cleaner not peanut butter) I don't like change :(

There is talk of them trying to mess with our Irn Bru too - they can't sell it in the US because the colouring is illegal over there XD

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    mkakids wrote: »
    Dude. Hersheys is THE BEST chocolate. Better than godiva, ghiardelli, lindt....chocolate straight from Switzerland (my moms fiance is from there and visits several times a year...hauling candy back each time, lol).

Seriously.

This makes me sad
    I think their fly was open.

• Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options

Right on, do it and report back with detailed findings! :smile: I think that’s a keen observation about Swiss chocolate, if memory serves they invented a process for making chocolate that results in a much smoother end product. [remembers there is a thing called the Internet] Ah yes, it’s called a conche and was invented by Lindt in 1879, and it’s a special mixer typa thing.

I confess that though I want to like dark chocolate, I still really love the milk stuff best.

You know, I never considered myself as having a "refined palate" lol so its actually really cool to find out its not in my head and I am picking up on these nuances and actually enjoying what I like because of them!
    Swiss chocolate went down in quality about ten years when ingredients were relaxed - Belgian and French chocolates are much better now. Trust me on this - I've been a chocolate mule across Europe for 20+ years.

I don't trust you!!! Only because I want to try for myself hehe!! You are only giving me more reasons to get myself to Europe... :blush: I do have a man of interest who lives in Switzerland, we will be seeing each other in a couple months. Maybe, just maybe I can convince him to do a little shopping for me. *hrmmm!!!!!*
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

UK Marathon is a US Snickers. US Marathon is a UK Curly Wurly:
    CC_Jon-Mankuta-1980-Marathon-wrapper-front-and-back1.jpg
    Curly-Wurly-Split.jpg

Don't know if they still sell Curly Wurly in the UK, but Marathon has been gone for years in the US.

• 3laine75
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I meant thisu6z7hivkhe6e.jpg
    And yes, we still have curly wurly but they're smaller and harder to find :(

I'm angry now - they keep telling us sweeties are not getting smaller but that's 62g, my snicker is only 48g - basterds!
  • 3laine75
    Options
    ejehrykv9j63.jpg
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Hershey is never worth the calories for me.
    With the exception of Reese's Cups and the bastardized US Cadbury Eggs, I completely agree.
  • fatjon73
    fatjon73 Posts: 379 Member
    Options

I'm angry now - they keep telling us sweeties are not getting smaller but that's 62g, my snicker is only 48g - basterds!
    They do this so they do not need to raise prices when food prices change. Unfortunately if you love chocolate or coffee you will see prices going up on coffee and smaller bars soon. The price of both commodities has doubled in the last 3 yrs.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    I no longer buy Nestle products since reading this:

http://www.babymilkaction.org/nestlefree#overview

It's off topic to the issue of artificial colouring - but, yes, it concerns me too.

A few years ago there were widespread boycotts of Nestles in response to their unethical marketing of formula in 3rd world countries. Nestles did respond to pressure and improve - but, as feared, once the issue fades from the public eye they gradually creep back to their old practices.
  • Metazoick
    Metazoick Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I no longer buy Nestle products since reading this:

http://www.babymilkaction.org/nestlefree#overview

It's off topic to the issue of artificial colouring - but, yes, it concerns me too.

A few years ago there were widespread boycotts of Nestles in response to their unethical marketing of formula in 3rd world countries. Nestles did respond to pressure and improve - but, as feared, once the issue fades from the public eye they gradually creep back to their old practices.

The scandal was kind of just the tip of the iceberg with Nestle. Really not a nice company at all... None of my previous schools or my current university even sell the stuff on campus. The issues may have faded from the public eye but it's nice to see boycotts for such things still sticking around - maybe fixing the public opinion with them as a company is part of the incentive to start the whole 'natural' product thing?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

You know what was also originally called marathon too?

Halo.
  • Emilia777
    Options

Yes, I don't know what they were called over there. They were Marathon here and Snickers in Europe and they changed loads of stuff so it was the same name in the EU.

Changing Jif to Cif annoyed me too (bathroom cleaner not peanut butter) I don't like change :(

There is talk of them trying to mess with our Irn Bru too - they can't sell it in the US because the colouring is illegal over there XD

No One messes with Irn Bru! I know what you mean about the recipe for it, the only way I can get the real deal here in Canada is from this small import shop that sort of smuggles it in haha.

That’s my favourite bathroom cleaner, incidentally. Who knew how many changes are made… I hear you, I get attached to brands / names, mostly because they remind me of my childhood or whatnot.
  • Emilia777
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Dragn77 wrote: »
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Swiss chocolate, in general, I find to be overrated.

Big fan of the Belgian stuff, though.

You know..friends of mine went to Belgium and brought back chocolates...verrry good, they were Cailler...and saying how that rivals my Swiss chocolate. Except, when I looked on the package, it had a Swiss flag on it. LoL So I still have yet to try any Belgian chocolate.

I know people talk about Swiss chocolates a lot, (including myself!!) but its all Ive ever had besides American chocolate or chocolates made for sale in America (because indeed...the same product overseas can be so different than what they ship here because of the gvt regulations here).

Swiss chocolate went down in quality about ten years when ingredients were relaxed - Belgian and French chocolates are much better now. Trust me on this - I've been a chocolate mule across Europe for 20+ years.

This is very interesting. Last I’ve had chocolate over there, about a year ago now, I bought some from chocolatiers, not supermarkets. It’s different when you buy stuff off the shelves. Pity, that. Alas, at least there will always be chocolate (I hope…).
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I will definately support Nestle!
  • fatjon73
    fatjon73 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Did anyone here about the salmonella scare in Cadburys a few yrs ago? It was obviously in the UK. Just wondered how far it spread. Free 500 calories for anyone knows how that happened. If you think additives are bad lol