Consuming too few calories and gaining weight, what now?

Options

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    I am not saying this again...............
    Yes. I said I was 'specializing' so if you understood anything about adult nursing you would know that that comes after the second year (Yes I am 20... 21 next week and my friends i'm studying with are the same age, it is not abnormal), and obviously I know how calories in vs. out works i'm not saying you can't be skinny by eating only junk food i'm saying you cannot be healthy and nutritionally balanced.
    I am not explaining myself again. This thread was about a girl who believed she was eating less that she was burning out despite eating a diet consisting of a lot of takeaways and with weight gain. I gave the truth. Don't turn it around and say that I said eating junk food once in a while makes you fat because this is hardly the scenario.

So you're not yet a nurse if specializing occurs while you are still in school - you are studying to become a nurse. This is a major distinction.

None of us said that you'd be nutritionally healthy by consuming only "junk" food. As already said, you are reading between the lines. You'd best work on your reading comprehension and "listening" skills if you plan on working with patients, else you get many unhappy patients on your hands. WE have said that overall health is based on dietary context. And some KFC in one's diet while the rest of the diet is nutritionally varied = acquiring plenty of nutrients.

But to be fair, this is an argument that many people such as yourself make in threads like these. When we say "moderation," your lot for some reason reads it as "WE ONLY EAT PIZZA AND KFC AND CAKE EVERY DAY FOR EVERY MEAL MWAHAHAHA"

The truth is that plenty of people on MFP come to these forums with the same problems OP posted about... and they follow restricted diets, eating only "good" foods. The problem is not with what is consumed, but with a) poor logging and b) overestimating burns. Both result in over-eating even if your diet consists of only chicken breast and broccoli.
  • Metazoick
    Metazoick Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Losing weight does not mean you are healthy.
    You can eat a lower than needed calorie intake of sugary junk foods and still lose weight.
    Depriving your body from the essentials it needs is dangerous for your body's future. That is all I am saying.

I agree with all of those points completely, and as nobody has said anything disagreeing with those things in this thread I guess that means we're all on the same page now. Eat what you like in moderation, make sure to have a diverse varied diet and that you're not deficient in anything, and keep track of calorie consumption for weight management.
  • ana3067
    Options
    @‌iamaprincessx

There is no bad or good food
    There is the fact of TOO MUCH food

I lived the country life.
    Made everything myself Grew everything myself
    Milk direct from the cow, eggs from my own free range chickens
    made my own butter, bread and mayonnaise and more
    Had a huge garden with fruit and veggies nuts etc.

But the moment i became sedentary because of my injury and ate the same as i did when i was active i became overweight.
    And believe me i ate healthy!!

Losing weight is all about eating less calories than you burn
    Nothing difficult or magic about it.

76145189.png

Yes thank you I am aware how weight loss occurs
    Everybody is missing my point entirely and interpreting whatever I am saying in their own way.

No, we very clearly understand your point: people who eat "bad" food cannot be healthy. You also have stated maaany times that the reason I (or others?) am fat is because I eat these foods. So that means that your point also includes "eating 'bad' food results in weight gain" even if you were not explicitly making this claim.

You seem to be entirely missing the point that I/we am/are making, which revolves around dietary moderation and which you are reading as all-or-nothing consumption practices.
  • karenrich77
    karenrich77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Eat smaller meals / snacks... every 2.5-3 hrs
    More consistency in meal / snack quality through the day
    Avoid or limit fast foods or processed foods
    Limit carbs, sugars, processed foods (fruits, veggies, ok)
    I would put carbs at 35-40%
    and eat more protein and good fats.
    MEET your calorie minimum of 1200.

100% baloney, and pretty much not at all required to lose weight.

only thing needed for weight loss is CICO, and to ensure CICO is happening one needs to log accurately.

It's days like today I wish this had a like button. Cals in V Cals Out works a treat for me 86 pounds down!
  • ana3067
    Options
    You can eat a lower than needed calorie intake of sugary junk foods and still lose weight.
    Depriving your body from the essentials it needs is dangerous for your body's future. That is all I am saying.

yup. And me eating some chocolate every day doesn't mean that all the other foods I am eating - veggies, fruit, protein, a few grains, healthy fats - are somehow subsequently pooped out without any of hte macro/micronutrients being absorbed by my body.

Again, you seem to be missing the entire lack of all-or-none in what everyone else besides you has said.
  • iamaprincessx
    iamaprincessx Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Metazoick wrote: »

I agree with all of those points completely, and as nobody has said anything disagreeing with those things in this thread I guess that means we're all on the same page now. Eat what you like in moderation, make sure to have a diverse varied diet and that you're not deficient in anything, and keep track of calorie consumption for weight management.

Yes, nobody has said anything disagreeing with these points in the thread but people are taking things that I've said and twisted them entirely and made me out to be some kind of idiot. I wasn't talking about these people, I was talking about the habits of the girl who originally asked for advice! Ana said: But to be fair, this is an argument that many people such as yourself make in threads like these. When we say "moderation," your lot for some reason reads it as "WE ONLY EAT PIZZA AND KFC AND CAKE EVERY DAY FOR EVERY MEAL MWAHAHAHA" ............. which is not true as girl who asked for advice was not eating in moderation- two takeaways per day is not moderation.. Nobody gets fat by treating themselves to something nice once in a while! Just like nobody gets skinny after one healthy meal. I have a cheat meal every month and so why would I say that?

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Back to the OP

Eat what ever you want as long as it fits in your calorie goal.
    Just weigh all your solid food and measure all your liquids

Looking at your diary, my opion is that you eat more than you think

76145189.png
  • ana3067
    Options
    Back to the OP

Eat what ever you want as long as it fits in your calorie goal
    Just weigh all your solid food and measure all your liquids

Looking at your diary, my opion is that you eat more than you think

76145189.png
    I agree. THe big red flag is the excessive use of generic recipes and weighted servings when not using a food scale!
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    indeed!
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I am not saying this again...............
    Yes. I said I was 'specializing' so if you understood anything about adult nursing you would know that that comes after the second year (Yes I am 20... 21 next week and my friends i'm studying with are the same age, it is not abnormal), and obviously I know how calories in vs. out works i'm not saying you can't be skinny by eating only junk food i'm saying you cannot be healthy and nutritionally balanced.
    I am not explaining myself again. This thread was about a girl who believed she was eating less that she was burning out despite eating a diet consisting of a lot of takeaways and with weight gain. I gave the truth. Don't turn it around and say that I said eating junk food once in a while makes you fat because this is hardly the scenario.

One day of fast food is not "a diet consisting of a lot of takeaways". Also, don't go around saying you are a nurse if you are not yet certified to practice, it does you no favors in looking credible. I know what the U.S. qualifications are to become an RN are as I have seriously considered it. It's at least a year of pre-reqs and qualifying for the nursing program, and then two full years of nursing courses before you can test (NCLEX) and gain your registration. That's just for a community college associates degree.

Based on her food log inaccurate logging is likely the culprit. You just had to ride in on your high horse slapping everyone down like you know everything.
  • ana3067
    Options
    Metazoick wrote: »

Yes, nobody has said anything disagreeing with these points in the thread but people are taking things that I've said and twisted them entirely and made me out to be some kind of idiot. I wasn't talking about these people, I was talking about the habits of the girl who originally asked for advice! Ana said: But to be fair, this is an argument that many people such as yourself make in threads like these. When we say "moderation," your lot for some reason reads it as "WE ONLY EAT PIZZA AND KFC AND CAKE EVERY DAY FOR EVERY MEAL MWAHAHAHA" ............. which is not true as girl who asked for advice was not eating in moderation- two takeaways per day is not moderation.. Nobody gets fat by treating themselves to something nice once in a while! Just like nobody gets skinny after one healthy meal. I have a cheat meal every month and so why would I say that?

You appear to be doing the same thing, along with attempting to make fun of myself and/or others in the process.

Two things of take-out can be moderation because moderation is not simply on the day, but an overall dietary context. I ate 5 slices of pizza and 2 plates of popcorn on Feb 13. To me this was moderation because I also ate lots of other "good" food on subsequent days and racked up extra calories that day anyways.

OP is not gaining because she is eating take out twice a day.
  • iamaprincessx
    iamaprincessx Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    hahahaaha oh okay whatever
    ive had enough of trying to explain with you lot painting me as an evil lying villain and hearing what you want to hear haha. So here you go.. hear it. Just go eat your 5 pizzas
    God if i was so overweight i would not be comfortable, I would straight on a VLCD and not leave the house until it was shifted! not hanging around 'in moderation' giving half arsed excuses about eating moderate amounts of disgusting foods which are not moderate in my eyes but there we go hey ho
    god this is sooooooooo stupid your so laughable i cannot control myself
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    ive had enough of trying to explain with you lot painting me as an evil lying villain and hearing what you want to hear haha. So here you go.. hear it. Just go eat your 5 pizzas
    God if i was so overweight i would not be comfortable, I would straight on a VLCD and not leave the house until it was shifted! not hanging around 'in moderation' giving half arsed excuses about eating moderate amounts of disgusting foods which are not moderate in my eyes but there we go hey ho

Is that why you've logged 4 different weight loss entries in the last 16 hours, giving you a 7lb loss in the last week...and deleted all the profile shots you were accused of grabbing from the internet ...is that how believable you are?
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Oops user deactivated
  • Metazoick
    Options

And just after I decided to give you the benefit of the doubt and figured we were all on the same page (roughly), just with the kind of miscommunication that tends to happen when you only have text to go off. We're not saying to 'eat 5 pizzas'. Not everybody vouching for moderation is overweight, and even if they were that doesn't discount it. You talk about how it's important to have 'nutritional food' but say you'd go on a VLCD - even if that wouldn't be a stupidly unhealthy way to lose weight over a long period you'd have no chance of hitting everything you need on that, you'd be decidedly unhealthy. You not liking the food has nothing to do with how healthy it is, I find avocados disgusting but I wouldn't call people stupid for liking them. Different foods have different nutritional values and there isn't a single item of food that couldn't theoretically fit into a healthy, balanced, micronutrient hitting day. I'm honestly starting to believe this is a fake account.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    See, this kind of what they are talking about. She says 5pieces of pizza and you hear 5 pizzas. People say that eating junk in an otherwise healthy diet is fine, you hear that eating nothing but junk is healthy.

Set up your straw men and knock them down if it makes you feel productive but it's not really contributing much to the dialogue here.

• Sued0nim
    Options
    Guys, it was a troll account ...don't take the bait
  • Metazoick
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Oops user deactivated

I really do hope it was a fake account now. She wasn't exactly being nice but I wouldn't want somebody to quit the site over a disagreement here.
  • ana3067
    Options

Again trying to make fun of me? Considering I'm no longer over-weight and have another 15ish lbs to go before reaching my goal before I start my first bulk to build some muscle, calling me fat doesn't really mean anything to me.

For you to assume that my self-esteem should be non-existent because of my weight is also pretty telling of your OWN issues with YOUR weight loss journey. Combined with your generic thinspo avatar I'm guessing you are not comfortable with your body right now, but there is no reason to project that onto me or this thread while advocating that health and weight loss are only achievable by all-or-nothing dietary means.

Pizza is disgusting?

6e0.jpg
    buffalo-chicken-mac-and-cheese-pizza-high.jpg

yup. Looks like vomit.
  • ana3067
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Oops user deactivated

LOL.
This discussion has been closed.