I cannot gain weight.. CANT DO IT ;(

Options

Replies

• sirrdk
    sirrdk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Don't eat all that unhealthy stuff that people are saying.
    Eat healthy no matter what.

Instead eat more often, and eat bigger meals than you're used to.

So, slowly increase your meals one day at a time. At the same time, eat as many times a day, as you can. If you: let's say, eat 3 meals a day (a smoothie for breakfast) just add 2-3 additional meals to the day in form of a snack. It could be some fruit (2 bananas, a slice of pineapple and an orange) or a salad.

You'll need to eat something at least every 3 hours if you are awake 15-18 hours a day (2.5 hours is better of course, but it's probably too hard for you in the beginning)

After a couple of months you'll notice that you can now eat more than you are use to, without feeling it's too hard :)
    Meaning: your body is now more use to get more calories without you forcing it.

Remember, always eat healthy. You don't wanna mess around with your cholesterol or other risk factors, just because you wanna gain/loose weight.
    I know it's easier to get 3000 calories by eating cheesecakes, soda & pizza but that's not the right or healthy way to get those calories. Instead eat healthy, like vegetables and other natural things. Maybe avoid processed food and candy/potato chips. If you can get 3000 calories a day by eating healthy, you'll definitely get a 100% satisfaction of your result, than you would by eating cheesecakes.

Just my 2 cents.
  • CanadaEh1
    CanadaEh1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Ditto what Wheelhouse15 and Bellabonbons said. 14 years ago, i had a similar situation as you have now and it was a combination of being depressed (and the side effect of meds and just not being hungry) AND hyperthyroidism (in my case it was Graves' disease). I would talk to your doctor and get some things ruled out and perhaps get your meds switched around. Perhaps they can also give you more hands-on nutritional support in the medical community. Eating properly can impact your mental health, and likewise. I hope you feel better soon and start to gain some weight. Add me if you would like. Take care :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    sirrdk wrote: »

So, slowly increase your meals one day at a time. At the same time, eat as many times a day, as you can. If you: let's say, eat 3 meals a day (a smoothie for breakfast) just add 2-3 additional meals to the day in form of a snack. It could be some fruit (2 bananas, a slice of pineapple and an orange) or a salad.

You'll need to eat something at least every 3 hours if you are awake 15-18 hours a day (2.5 hours is better of course, but it's probably too hard for you in the beginning)

After a couple of months you'll notice that you can now eat more than you are use to, without feeling it's too hard :)

Remember, always eat healthy. You don't wanna mess around with your cholesterol or other risk factors, just because you wanna gain/loose weight.
    I know it's easier to get 3000 calories by eating cheesecakes, soda & pizza but that's not the right or healthy way to get those calories. Instead eat healthy, like vegetables and other natural things. Maybe avoid processed food and candy/potato chips. If you can get 3000 calories a day by eating healthy, you'll definitely get a 100% satisfaction of your result, than you would by eating cheesecakes.

Just my 2 cents.

your two cents is rejected and refunded...

OP already has a hard time gaining weight and you are recommending adding a salad? what is that like 100 calories, maybe?

how do you define healthy? If OP is hitting her calorie/micro/macro targets for the day, then she can easily add in some ice cream, cookies, bagels, etc to try and help her get to a calorie number where she is gaining..

adding in a few meals of bananas, oranges, and salad is going to do nothing for her weight gain goal...
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Make a shake consisting of protein powder, ice cream, peanut butter and heavy cream or whole milk. Maybe add some chocolate syrup. Yum.
  • madiha1397
    madiha1397 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I used to think I ate a lot. But calorie wise I was barely making 1200 calories. Eat as much asylu can. Have smoothies and add in peanut butter, olive oil, double cream, milk. It's a 'hidden' dense calorie which totally helps. Even if it takes you an hour to drink. You need to add more calories like everyone else says. Cheat and add a slice of cake or something if you're under your calorie intake. Eat proper meals and then add the smoothies etc don't use it as a meal replacement. This apps helped me BIG time. Hope this helps you babe x
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Shame the OP never came back
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Just my 2 cents.

You're two non-cents aren't worth the metal they might have been printed upon.

If you have never bulked- don't be giving advice.

Eating 3000+ calories of chicken broccoli and quiona is ridiculous.

It's the exact opposite of someone trying to lose weight who is maximizing their calorie intake with filling- high density- but low calorie foods (so they can eat more).... verses bulking- where sometimes you want low density- high calorie foods so you can eat what you need without being overly stuffed.
  • ShannonP8826
    ShannonP8826 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am having trouble gaining weight too I haven't eaten right not exercising and not feeling good about myself. I started the gym at 88 pounds 6 years ago I been lifting more than before eating more protein bars and eating more but no gaining but I realized that you have to push yourself to the limit to do it I have a trainer that helps me I weighed 88 pounds now I set my short goal to 110 pounds now I I hit my goal of 110 pounds today on February 20th 2015 and starting a new goal of 120 pounds. I feels good to weigh 110 pounds now. If you want to succeed in life and weight gain push yourself to the limit and you will succeed.
  • isocom79
    Options
    If you can afford to...buy a quality weight gainer to supplement your diet. Optimum Nutrition Serious Mass is fantastic for hard gainers like you. Unlike the others here simply suggesting to each ice cream, pizza, etc...i would recommend natural foods. Not saying don't ever eat stuff you like, or just salads. Be careful of eating too much diary or grains and not enough meats and proteins. The best thing anyone here has recommended is see a doctor, and I'd say also a nutritionist. You need to find out a few things:
    1: Your metabolic rate
    2: Your water retention %
    3: If you have hyperthyroidism
    4: If you have celiac disease (allergic to wheat)

Celiac disease primarily affects the bodies ability to absorb nutrition through your intestines. And can be a possible reason for difficulty gaining weight as well as a potentially serious health problem. Hence the big deal today about everything being Gluten-free.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I am having trouble gaining weight too I haven't eaten right not exercising and not feeling good about myself. I started the gym at 88 pounds 6 years ago I been lifting more than before eating more protein bars and eating more but no gaining but I realized that you have to push yourself to the limit to do it I have a trainer that helps me I weighed 88 pounds now I set my short goal to 110 pounds now I I hit my goal of 110 pounds today on February 20th 2015 and starting a new goal of 120 pounds. I feels good to weigh 110 pounds now. If you want to succeed in life and weight gain push yourself to the limit and you will succeed.

As you have seen, 6 years in the gym has not caused you to gain weight. As mentioned in this thread previously to the OP, you need to eat at a surplus to gain weight. Give the sticky in this section a read for good bulking advice.
  • sirrdk
    sirrdk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Your accusations against me are ridiculous. I would like a doctors opinion on this, because saying that she doesn't need to eat healthy vs. eating cakes and stuff is the way to go, sounds insane.

I know that a salad is only 100 cal. But that's not the point. The point is that she needs to get her body to get used to having food more often. A salad or a fruit is always easy to get down in your stomach. And the reason I recommended a salad and not a piece of cheese cake, well, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to understand why.

I too struggled all my life by being underweight and having trouble gaining.
    So I did what most of you guys recommended, and ate what ever I could get my hands on (pizza, cake, cola etc). But the advice I got, wasn't from people with a health degree. I guess some of you in here advising her with the same advice, doesn't have a degree eather.
    Meaning: you don't know what kind of health issues she will run into as she gets older, by taking your advice and thinking that eating unhealthy isn't gonna be a problem for her, as long as she gets her calories. This sounds extremely ignorant.

For an example: I got too much fat on my body and was still skinny/underweight by eating everything (unhealthy foods).
    Also I got stomach issues and still having it after 5 years. I got fat in my face and big thighs (and I'm pretty sure that a girl doesn't want that for her worst enemy, so she definitely wants to avoid that for herself, right?). And the reason is because I ate unhealthy. It could have been wors. I could have gotten diabetes or high blood pressure, skin issues or tons of others health issues that you might not see on your outer body.

I'm not saying that the same exact problems is going to happen to her, but I'm just saying that eating unhealthy (doesn't matter if you're having eating disorder/anorexia or not) is not the way to go. You might get other or same health issues. That's for sure. And you might consider yourself lucky if you take their advice and don't get any health issues. That's just a gamble that you have to consider when taking any of our advices.

Why don't you people get your reading on, and research the cons of eating unhealthy (also look up "eating unhealthy while be an anorexic"). I'm pretty sure that a doctor will agree that you have to eat healthy no matter what your problems are :-)
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Your accusations against me are ridiculous. I would like a doctors opinion on this, because saying that she doesn't need to eat healthy vs. eating cakes and stuff is the way to go, sounds insane.

I know that a salad is only 100 cal. But that's not the point. The point is that she needs to get her body to get used to having food more often. A salad or a fruit is always easy to get down in your stomach. And the reason I recommended a salad and not a piece of cheese cake, well, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to understand why.

So I did what most of you guys recommended, and ate what ever I could get my hands on (pizza, cake, cola etc). But the advice I got, wasn't from people with a health degree. I guess some of you in here advising her with the same advice, doesn't have a degree eather.
    Meaning: you don't know what kind of health issues she will run into as she gets older, by taking your advice and thinking that eating unhealthy isn't gonna be a problem for her, as long as she gets her calories. This sounds extremely ignorant.

For an example: I got too much fat on my body and was still skinny/underweight by eating everything (unhealthy foods).
    Also I got stomach issues and still having it after 5 years. I got fat in my face and big thighs (and I'm pretty sure that a girl doesn't want that for her worst enemy, so she definitely wants to avoid that for herself, right?). And the reason is because I ate unhealthy. It could have been wors. I could have gotten diabetes or high blood pressure, skin issues or tons of others health issues that you might not see on your outer body.

I'm not saying that the same exact problems is going to happen to her, but I'm just saying that eating unhealthy (doesn't matter if you're having eating disorder/anorexia or not) is not the way to go. You might get other or same health issues. That's for sure. And you might consider yourself lucky if you take their advice and don't get any health issues. That's just a gamble that you have to consider when taking any of our advices.

Why don't you people get your reading on, and research the cons of eating unhealthy (also look up "eating unhealthy while be an anorexic"). I'm pretty sure that a doctor will agree that you have to eat healthy no matter what your problems are :-)

Too many strawmen and inaccuracies to address. I'm not touching it other to say that you haven't been listening to what has been said above.
  • ndj1979
    Options

so much wrong...
  • KyraJDread
    KyraJDread Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been on a weight gain rampage forever. My problem is that I can never stick with it for a long period of time. I tried protein smoothies using GNC Pro Performance ® AMP Amplified Mass XXX adding in frozen fruit, peanut butter, and flax seeds but I would be full for the entire day with no desire to eat anything else. I decided to try drinking them at night for my bedtime meal and I've been seeing results. I am also obsessed with Pizza so I make my own mini ones with lots of turkey sausage cheese and sauce which helps with my caloric intake. I suggest trying to find high calorie foods that you enjoy and wont get sick of and taking a multivitamin. Also add strength training as muscle weighs more than fat. Hope this helps with your journey I'm not a professional and I'm rocking in your same boat so far this has been working for me maybe it can help you as well. Good luck!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Drink a pint of melted ice cream every day.

If that doesn't work, try two pints.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

Has anyone said so much wrong yet?

it so wrong, I can't even correct it...