WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2105

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,270 Member
    Options
    The Allbran recipe

I cup Allbran cereal
    I cup dried fruit. It is nice if there is some peel in it.
    I cup self raising flour
    Half a cup soft brown sugar
    1 cup semi skimmed milk.

I reckon that comes to just over 1600 calories. The cake slices into about 10 pieces.

I also add a teaspoon of baking powder to lighten it and spices, like ground ginger, ground cinnamon, mixed spice etc.

Set oven to around 340. Well grease a loaf tin.
    Soak the Allbran, dried fruit and sugar in the milk with any spices you are using for half an hour.
    Mix in the flour and baking powder. Mix well. Pour into the greased loaf tin.
    Bake for around 35 mins, testing with a skewer, which should come out clean.

Leave to cool. Slice and freeze portions so you don't eat it all at once. I butter DH'S, but not mine.
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Ack! White stuff is falling from the sky and covering the ground. :disagree: Totally not in the forecast!!
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

Good morning to all you lovely ladies.

Jp, great poem. Did you write it? So talented!

*Carol, sending good thoughts your way to feel better real soon.

*Showdoggy, welcome. We are happy that you have joined us and look forward to seeing you often. I have recently cut out diet coke and was surprised how easy it was. It’s just been replaced with water. I do weigh every day but the real rewards for me are seeing my clothes get bigger on me. Good luck with your journey.

*Carey, Congrats on your 1 month and your weight loss. (*)

*ReNae, “Oh yes and lose 25 pounds”? I’d say that is a pretty big, oh yes. Congratulations and keep up the good work.

*jehzimom
    , Welcome. And you are so right, MFP has all the tools we need. And you will find this group of wonderful ladies to be both supportive and informative. I hope you visit often.

*Sally, good luck with finding a dress you like. I can’t even imagine being too small to find something. It has to be a great feeling although frustrating. 3.5 million steps? How long did that take? That is amazing.

*Bobbi, yes we always have room for one more and you are more than welcome. So good that you are doing something about you weight with only 8-10 pounds to lose, unlike so many of us. Come often and join right in. We were all new one day.

*Joyce, I hope Charlie doesn’t overdo with the snow/ice work in the yard. Most men are not real good to listening to their bodies. (or their doctors)

*doccnm, welcome and you have just joined, as all it takes is to come here. OMG you sound like the poster girl for good eating and health. Good for you and oh that more of us had been like that from the beginning. To answer your question, I don’t think it’s asking too much to want a body shape like before menopause but don’t expect it to look like it did with no clothes. You may have to resort to some weight training and there are people at nearly every gym that can help set you up on the right workout. We are happy to have you join us and look forward to your progress.

*angles46, Welcome to our group of wonderful ladies. When reading your post, I was reminded of one of the quotes from our dear leader, Barbie. The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT. It does take some willpower and changing of habits. I have been able to cut out so many things that I use to eat, just because I stop and think about how badly I want to lose weight and how badly I want to put that yummy, fattening, calorie filled snack in my mouth. It has been so exciting for me to fit into smaller clothes and feel better, that I usually (can’t say always) chose the opportunity to forego the calories. Maybe you can chose to do something other than snack, or chose a healthier snack. One thing that has definitely helped me is to purge my kitchen of things that I don’t need to be eating. Not that there aren’t still a ton of calories calling my name from time to time, but I try to choose the better choices when I must snack. If you find you must snack, try to plan something healthy and sit down at the table and have your snack, then move on. You can do this, just keep telling yourself that. Good luck.

*Carol as I recall from when we lived in Atlanta, the weather forecasters there, are no better there than anywhere else we’ve lived. LOL We are getting frozen light rain and last night they said we’d be around 40 by mid-morning. Now they say we won’t get above 32 all day. I don’t think they have any better idea than we do. I’ve come to the conclusion that I just have to wait and see what each day brings.

Welcome to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

About dusk last night when DH took the boys out to do their business, they all went running to the fence at the back of the yard. (well not DH, just the dogs) We back up to a small forest and there were 3 large deer grazing. They ran away quickly with all the barking, but this is the first deer we’ve seen in a number of months. There is almost no place left for them with all the developments around. So sad.

I love all you wonderful ladies and I wish you all a very happy and healthy day.

My word #1 is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.

#2 is opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Buttercupxxx
    Buttercupxxx Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi, I’m looking for friends who are motivated and will hold me accountable for my weight loss. Any suggestions I will accept. I am 55 and try to follow the Atkins way of eating. Thank you.
  • jolenec1
    jolenec1 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies,
    Wow! Did we get snow and ice here. I was off work all last week and was a very bad girl. I stayed home and sat on my backside and crocheted all week. Except for the times I got out and walked the dogs and fell in the snow on my bad knee. I would have busted my face too but my boobs broke my fall. After that, my hubbie walked the dogs. I am hopping around on the bum knee now and can't take the anti-inflammatory meds because of an upcoming medical procedure this week. Awe, life is grand isn't it? Always keeps you guessing. Anyway, I am back on the wagon AGAIN! Posting and trying to do better. But the snow is still lingering. I am at least back at work. That seems to help keep me on the straight and narrow during the week. Here's a little peak of the world from my office window. We are melting slowly, but there is at least 1/2 inch of ice under that snow. Its beautiful but oh so cold. outsidetheoffice2-24-15_zpsd2d184ec.jpg
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm glad you liked the poem :flowerforyou: Yes, I write them :bigsmile:

I caught a little flack for bringing up the D-word yesterday LOL! It's not a nice word around here, sorry about that. :blushing: I know this is a lifestyle change, but my particular lifestyle needs another BIG change! I've learned sooo much these last few years and changed a million things with my exercise and eating habits, it's fantastic stuff! :bigsmile: However, lately I've had a time getting out of a slump that's simply called Eating Too Much. Thus, I will Diet. It's just a word, maybe it's a game I'm playing with my mind? :huh: It feels strict, it feels regimented, it's exactly what I need right now to bring my wandering spirit back down to earth. :tongue: I did great with D-Day 1 yesterday. :drinker:

Call it a Diet,
    Call it a Change,
    Call it a Style
    Which you rearrange.

Go for the celery,
    Go for the grapes,
    Go for the things
    That prevent mistakes.

Have a small meal,
    Have a big drink,
    Water fills you
    More than you think.

Careful with portions,
    Careful with snacks,
    Vacate the kitchen,
    Never look back!

:glasses: jb in Portland

PS Meg, thanks for your poem LOL!! :laugh:

• CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Yanniejannie: <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Meg: I can understand a doctor wanting to put off knee replacements because they can wear out and need to be re-replaced BUT a person can sustain an awful lot of damage by falling downstairs. Your friend should consider seeking a second opinion. On the other hand, I’ve done a lot to strengthen my bad knee through a combination of weight loss, yoga and currently some careful use of exercise machines. She might benefit from PT.

Yanniejannie: Your daughter may have saved that woman’s life by dragging her out of harm’s way, but I understand your concern for DD’s safety. Luckily she didn’t’ get hurt.

Tina: We all have tough days and days we fall off the bandwagon. Today is a new day. Do the best you can. It is all anyone can do.

Heather: I am sorry to hear you’re having trouble sleeping. I hope your worries are soon resolved in a positive way.

Patty: I’m happy that you have a short commute. Mine was horrible and continually got worse.

doccnm: Welcome to a very supportive group of women. My belly is getting flatter after a lot of work and I’m a number of years older than you. I’ve been doing yoga for several years and credit it with a lot of positive outcomes. Recently I’ve added core strength and abs classes. You can transform yourself but it takes time and effort.

Angles46: Best advice is to count every calorie, bite and swallow. Drink more water to help flush your system of toxins. Get rid of sweets, chips or baked goods that tempt you into mindless munching. Replace them with raw veggies as snacks. I hope you’ll come back regularly for support. We have several ladies from England. They may be able to offer more specific product advice.

Carol: I sort of envy your white stuff. We’ve had a remarkably dry winter and I worry about possible drought conditions here in Oregon. It seems like Kim’s northern CA weather has moved here.

Buttercupxxx: Welcome.

Yesterday DH said he wants to come to the Sports Club with me and quit PT. I’m flattered, pleased, and worried. I want him to get released by the Physical Therapist ASAP, and get marching orders from her. He is a medically complicated guy. His MS is stable, and not causing current issues. Stupid behavior irritated spinal arthritis and that caused the problems that led to surgery last August. The surgeon expects to see him again in the future for more work removing arthritic deposits in his back.

Send good thoughts my way for the ability to get him moving the right direction in a thoughtful and healthy way. Tact is not my middle name, but I will need to be a combination of direct and tactful in this situation.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

February Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png

• terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday ! ! !

Katla - sending good thoughts for the needed combination of direct and tact. That is difficult for me, too (especially with loved ones). Barbie - I empathize with your struggle, too. I never intend to hurt anyone, but sometimes my mouth moves faster than my brain.

Thank you to everyone for the wonderful recipes for healthy muffins and breads. I look forward to them keeping me in control when I return from El Paso. As it stands now, it looks like my kitchen floor will be replaced while we are gone, so I need to leave as little as possible in the refrigerator. DS will be "staying" with my Dad, so we don't need to leave him much food.

Barry Manilow is sick, so the concert is postponed until next Monday. Tomorrow evening is "Forms and Fees" night at H.S. for spring/summer sports 6-8pm, then DS has baseball practice 9-10pm, so I told him we will spend that hour between events in the H.S. weight room. He said he will invite his friends to lift with him. I will hide in the corner riding a bike, or leave (it's embarressing to work-out with your mom when you are 14). He plans on going out for Track & Field, and Baseball. He has already been working out with the track coach, who is getting him ready for Pole Vault. Just picture, the kid that flies through the air on his bike (or self-propelled just because he can), will be doing it in an organized manner soon. The kid scares me and makes me laugh every day. :D

The cookie dough is officially gone, so today is the day to start over. I already bought the extra soft tofu, so that will be my dessert from here on out. All healthy foods for lunch. I really want to remove all the excess water, plus about 3 pounds, before we leave next Thursday (I want to feel comfortable, not packed into my clothes). Color roots this weekend, and work-out every day, so I have good exercise habits during the trip.

I have used shiritaki noodles, but struggle with the fishy flavor, even if I rinse them for a long time. Does the coconut milk take care of that? I love coconut, so any recipes would be appreciated. I think someone mentioned coconut chips? How do I make those?

Hugs to Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee (where it is all the way up to 18 degrees today) :p
  • MMinMD
    MMinMD Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    2/24

Good day all! I have just finished one month of this new smarter lifestyle. Had a few periods of stupid choices when busy or distracted but still 11lbs down. The first week of weight loss is always a lot, so I will need to work on consistency to get to my goal of 8 more lbs next month.

As Vikki says - time for change indeed!

Sunday my sister and I went to the American Craft Council Show in Baltimore. If you are within a couple hours and like high-end crafts, try this next year (always toward the end of Feb).

Sat nite I made a yummy eggplant beef and many other veg stir fry. I cook up each veg as I go, so all get cooked and none get mushy. For the first time I measured the oil I used - ouch (and I thought I was being spare with the oil). The eggplant is of course a particularly bad oil sponge. I’ll have to work on technique for doing a whole 4-serving stir fry with just a couple of tbs of oil.

Heather – thanks for the skinnytaste.com tip. I like Cooking Light, although they seem to post a lot of not-so-light desserts. Sorta like all those women’s magazines at the grocery store that always show some diet tip and a picture of a cake together on the cover!

Jan- we have the occasional Pileated in our woods -they just sound pre-historic. And good for you going to the gym while waiting for the car.

Katla – hope you can find a way to help DH down the right exercise path. Maybe he is trying to emulate your success by getting into your gym! But, yeah it would be great if PT could offer guidance. We have a local “medically-oriented gym” run by a PT group, and they are great at getting people thru that transition (and great for a well-supervised long term program too).

Docnm – “Menopot” – oh that’s a great term. Would that I had a small pot and not a spare truck tire. But I am going in the right direction now.

Angles46 – Suggest finding something to do after work – maybe a fun and easy exercise class?

Jehzimom – oh I like the idea of making healthy living a hobby! I’ve been taking time to focus on meal planning and logging, and on assessing habits and progress. I guess that is a hobby. And probably the best choice of hobby I could make. Hey could you suggest some youtube workout vids?

Sally – a million steps and 70 lbs lost. Wow. You are really inspiring. How much more do you want to lose?? You look great in your profile pic.

Keep going Tina!

Today’s reason to lose weight: So I can fit into those beautiful hand-made jackets I saw at the craft fair. Let’s just say they don’t make many to fit 5’10” and 284 lbs

Goals for Feb:
    Eat > 5 fruits and veg a day – I’m doing OK on this.
    Stay under 150 carbs – I’m doing well on this
    21 g fiber/d – I’m doing well on this
    Exercise 4X/week in the evening – need to work on this. Making up excuses. Knee surgery probably coming up, gotta get something going ahead of that.
  • pettycoatjunction
    pettycoatjunction Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »
    Michele, could you have some mold issue in your condo from the upstairs water fiasco? that could be a cause of your hubbies allergies. Thanks for the info of the brownies.

Cynthia, I just looked on my iPad and on the app I can't find community but when I go to Safari and look up MFP it looks exactly like the screen here. I have it book marked on Safari to make it easier for me

Carol, Ga, I think the kind of grieving you are talking about is the grieving of lost opportunities. I had it at first when my MS was diagnosed. One day in choir at church I just burst out crying. I finally figured out that my grand kids would never have the opportunity to actually know my Dad. Sure we talk about him, have pictures and share stories but they can't sit on his knees and have him love them.

Sylvia, your bowls are wonderful. I hope their teacher is letting them know that people are donating these bowls so they can know and appreciate community service and volunteering.

My daughter finally got date of my grand daughters musical. It's 8 PM this Friday. But that means a late night for us. By the time it's over it will be 1 AM before we get home and it's supposed to be raining. Oh well, what we do for our grandkids! Some of our yards look like ice rinks. Ours is fine. Charlie spends time out there each day cleaning more of it off. 2 years ago when he had his heart attack his doctor told him not to do this stuff in the winter and have it hired out. MEN

Joyce, Indiana
    jmkmomm wrote: »
    Michele, could you have some mold issue in your condo from the upstairs water fiasco? that could be a cause of your hubbies allergies. Thanks for the info of the brownies.

Cynthia, I just looked on my iPad and on the app I can't find community but when I go to Safari and look up MFP it looks exactly like the screen here. I have it book marked on Safari to make it easier for me

Carol, Ga, I think the kind of grieving you are talking about is the grieving of lost opportunities. I had it at first when my MS was diagnosed. One day in choir at church I just burst out crying. I finally figured out that my grand kids would never have the opportunity to actually know my Dad. Sure we talk about him, have pictures and share stories but they can't sit on his knees and have him love them.

Sylvia, your bowls are wonderful. I hope their teacher is letting them know that people are donating these bowls so they can know and appreciate community service and volunteering.

My daughter finally got date of my grand daughters musical. It's 8 PM this Friday. But that means a late night for us. By the time it's over it will be 1 AM before we get home and it's supposed to be raining. Oh well, what we do for our grandkids! Some of our yards look like ice rinks. Ours is fine. Charlie spends time out there each day cleaning more of it off. 2 years ago when he had his heart attack his doctor told him not to do this stuff in the winter and have it hired out. MEN

Joyce, Indiana

• pettycoatjunction
    pettycoatjunction Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Good morning, at least it still is here in the great Pacific Northwest! The skies are a beautiful blue, once again, and we should be bumping into the high 50's and low 60's on the Mercury.

Kayla: you are so right about the need for a snow pack in the Cascades! At this rate, we are going to have a major drought and fire season this year!

Angles46: maybe try establishing a food cut off time in the evening. After that, limit yourself to water or tea. Also, brushing your teeth sometimes helps discourage night time snacking.

Yanniejannie: I am curious about what kind of dog Gemma is and what kind of dog collar you have that helps with the pulling. I have a 55 pound, all muscle and energy, German Shorthair Pointer who is all about warp speed walks and pulling like a sled dog! I'm always looking for new ideas!

I have started reading The Zero Belly Diet, which is all about turning off your fat genes and losing the visceral fat (bad fat) that likes to wrap itself around your organs. As I get further into the book, I will try to share the parts that jump out at me!

Bobbi
    From northwest Oregon
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hi friends,

Still looking out at strips of ice and snow! Don't remember it ever being like this. They still have not opened the schools because the neighborhood roads and rural areas remain slippery. Our system is huge (85,000 students) so if even one area is bad it keeps all the kids out of school. No real equipment or $$ to remove this stuff. Tennessee - love the taxes but the services suffer!

Got to the doctor yesterday. Had a hassle getting my prescription - computers went down at Walmart just as I was ready to check out. After an hour I finally got out of there, came home and ate cheese, pretzels and frozen yogurt for dinner! Ugh! Back at it today..... I hope I will feel like exercising tomorrow.

Janet - great job on the after vacation weight loss
    ReNae - awesome new habits
    Pip - 940 days! Yeah!
    Kim - 35 miles of hiking! Weigh to go!
    Sally - 3.5 million steps! WOW!!!!!
    YOU ALL ARE SO INSPIRING!

Sylvia - love the bowls. I bet the kids will do a good job decorating. Such a good project
    Heather - enjoyed what you shared about habits. It sounds like you have a plan to continue the writing. That's great!
    Allison - so exciting to hear about your remodeling. You are really moving right along!
    jb - enjoying your poems
    Carey - love the Carol B. quote. I admire her so much. Thanks for reminding why.
    Dr.Katie - YEAH for the new fitbit! I know you were watching for it!
    Bobbi - There are some other active and retired teachers here. I just retired after 32 years of teaching elementary grades in private and public schools.
    Yanniejannie and Cynthia - enjoyed the stories of the hoarding pets....so sweet (DD will have to give Gemma that hat, YJ!)
    Selena - thanks for the words of wisdom - inspiring

Special (((((hugs))))) to -
    Cynthia - job; Meg - knee and DD issues; Sharon - custody case; Vicki - rocky "road"; Tina - off track a bit but you can do this, girl; Lesley - Mildred Beagle loves to hear your voice. Keep talking to her as you work through your grief. Often I talk to the loved ones I've lost (after 35 years)

Reminder to all - please sign off on each of your posts with the name you want us to use for you. My aging mind feels embarrassed when I can't remember it.
    WELCOME TO ALL OF YOU WHO ARE JOINING US ON THIS JOURNEY.

TNToni - taking this OPPORTUNITY for a day of rest, healing, and healthy eating
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    For those of you longing for spring, I received an email on a local NE GA garden today. Here is a link to their website with beautiful pictures of daffodils and other blooms: http://www.gibbsgardens.com/index.php

We dropped my car off for some recall service today and found there was something else to be fixed...but it is easier to do now while they already have it and I'm still off from work. Should be able to pick it up later today. Alas, no income and higher expenses - its the way of the world. Hooray for an emergency fund. ;)

Knitting the last chemo hat for my sister before I send them all off to her. I'll try to post a picture of the hats before they go. We couldn't reach her over the weekend and I was worried about that -- turns out my gut was right as she was hospitalized for dehydration and some other complications. She couldn't remember details last night and seemed pretty out of it, so I told her I'd call back later in the week. (She has BC, both sides, and has many months of chemo, then radiation, then finally surgery.)

Not much else going on. Trying to savor my last days off! Although I am setting the alarm clock at night so that isn't such a shock when the day comes to go back to work.

Gail, metro ATL
  • snowdoggy
    snowdoggy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

Thank you for the support. Managing to stay on both my new exercise regimen and accounting for calories. Lemon water really goes a long way to satisfy snack attack feelings. Trying to hold off to 3:00 to get my apple snack. So far so good.
    I love some of the encouraging quotes and the poems. They really help a lot.

Snowdoggy
    Baltimore MD

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,135 Member
    Options
    Just a little note about hoarding pets, I had a 250 pound St Bernard. We thought he was extremely funny because we also had a Collie and when my daughter would throw toys for them to fetch the Saint Bernard would try to get all the toys that were thrown in his mouth! He would have up to four to five different toys such as a couple of tennis balls and I pull rope and whatever else my daughter would throw for them to fetch. He did not like to share with our collie!

Mary from Minnesota
  • flash0626
    flash0626 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, just got back from swimming! it is so nice to be able to do that in the winter time. It may be only 20 degrees outside but the pool was 80 degrees and felt so good! We do about 40 minutes of laps then walks across the pool for 10 minutes. It is very refreshing! This is my free day, because, my DSIL likes to go out for ice cream afterwards. That is usually my treat for the day and I count it as my calories or lunch.

everyone have a great day!

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,591 Member
    Options
    x

pip from Tacoma wa
  • crazyDogLady61
    crazyDogLady61 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon dear ladies!

Katla: Thanks for the Nordstroms suggestion for the MOB dress. I have three possibilities bookmarked on their site waiting for the thumbs up from my DD and her godmother before I order them. They have a great return policy, so I will just order a few sizes and then return the rejects.

Jb in Portland: If the “D” word works for you, great. For a lot of us (me included) it really is a four letter word.

Janet: The 3.5 million steps started some time in July, shortly before I found MFP. It is totally weird having trouble finding clothes because I am too small for the off the shelf stuff. I have been heavy since I was 3 so this is completely uncharted territory. Glad you enjoyed seeing the deer. We still have a lot more than our share. Rotten things will take my fences out.

Doccnm: Welcome. What happens to your “pot” is dependent on a lot of things. In my case, the pot itself is mostly gone, but there is quite a bit of loose skin (singularly unattractive). It does appear to be slowly tightening up with more core work. I have also been treating the loose skin with the oil that is supposed to help with pregnancy stretch marks. I have no idea if it helps, but it does keep the skin very smooth and healthy.

Angles46: Just get yourself out of the house in the evening. Go for a walk, visit a friend, volunteer, whatever you can think of to keep busy. If the weather is really awful, try de-cluttering your house or knitting or even reading. Anything to keep your mind / body occupied until you can get past the need to nibble in the evening. I train dogs. I am either at class or one of the training buildings 4 nights a week. There just isn’t time for munching. I also plan into my schedule a bedtime snack. It is usually a hot herb tea and a bowl of cereal or a handful of nuts. It lets me shift my thinking from “not ever” (hard to do) to “not now – later” (much easier for me). The bonus is that I sleep better if I am not hungry when I go to bed.

Bobbi: There is no magic collar to stop a dog from pulling. The martingale collar that Gemma is wearing is proportionally wide so the dog will not damage their trachea while they are pulling. Unless they sold Yanniejannie a hidden prong martingale which has the prongs from a prong collar sewn into the fabric. (I don’t think you can get these at regular pet stores.) Then it is a prong collar. The prongs close/tighten on the dogs neck when they pull. A prong collar will help a lot with pulling, but you should be actively training the dog while they are wearing the collar, because it has to be properly fit and used or the dog can be hurt. It takes two to pull… if you want the dog to walk nicely at your side teach the GSP the art of walking nicely on a leash. If you would not let a horse drag you, use similar methods to teach your dog.

Lesley: Take your time mourning dear Mildred. There is no rushing grief. I lost my heart dog, Smokey, a couple of years ago. For the last year of his life he need to get up and go potty about 3am every morning. It was really hard on me because I was not getting enough sleep anyway, but I did it. For at least 4 weeks after he died, I would catch glimpses of him out of the corner of my eye. I could feel that he was still there. After about 4 weeks, I got up at 3am just like I had been doing for months. I looked out the window and there was my sheltie walking down the driveway away from the house. He turned and looked at me. Then he trotted down the driveway (he had not been able to trot for a long time) and over the ridge not looking back. It was like he was sure we would be OK now and he could move on. I still miss him every day, but I can look at his photos with joy in the time we spent together rather than just mourning his loss. You will get there, too, but take your time.

Well my running buddy Talga did something to his shoulder again, so he will have to rest for a while. I will need to run by myself for at least a week. His shoulder bothering him could be why he wanted to quit on my during our Sunday run. I haven’t run without one of the boys before, we will just have to see how it goes without a pacesetter.

Looking for the joy in every day, just like my dogs.
    Remember to breathe…

Sally W.
    Oregon

oNgvm8.png

jkBTm8.png

kD1Xm8.png

vatbm8.png

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,638 Member
    Options
    Hi all, today was my hike day, Levi and I walk later, (he hates the change in his morning routine) I was doing a tiny bit better on speed and climbing the hills when the gals voted to take the “goat track” what the %$#@ - so I did it too… added 25 minutes and one more climbing grade.. considered just sitting down and giving up…but just kept moving.. and guess what I did it!!!! Just about 7 miles with a lot of grade change, I have not figured it out adding in the goat track… Well I had not had time to get to the store for stuff for snacks, but brought extra water and a pear… and I made it past all the donut shops and the awful fast food places keep thinking of you Heather! Thank you!!! One of my errands on my way home was Trader Joes so I stopped and got the things I needed and their tofu spring roll, 280 calories and 10 g. of protein..that became my snack/lunch (at 10:30am) but now I have the stuff to make snacks for next week.

Need to buckle down and work as I am spending Thursday and Friday with a girl friend at her place in the foothills quilting – I probably will not be able to get here, but I am looking forward to working on my quilting project.

JB – I missed it in my last post, but LOVE your poetry!

Beth – great at staying out of the pantry!

Sally – thanks for the snack ideas

Cynthia – I am glad you are making your health a priority; there is something out there… sending good thoughts!

Bobbi – welcome!

Vicki – sorry there has been so much stress! Take care.

Lesley – spend the time you need at Mildred’s grave, she is with you always but if her grave gives you comfort, honor that.

Michele and Joyce – I was in Trader Joes and looked for the low fat brownie mix and they have it.

Yanniejannie – that is scary, but so brave and proud of your DD to save her co-worker from further injury.

Tina – you just stepped aside for one day, everyone does it (or most everyone) and we just step right back on and keep on going! No worries, no grief… just remember not to do it to often.

Doccnm – just post, don’t need to join!

Heather – thank you for the recipe!!

Katla – thinking of you.. take time with what you say and do it from love and hopefully he can hear.

Terri – I buy the freshest shiritaki noodles I can find, rinse well and then put a sauce on them that is strong, not so much in flavor but in smell… as I find the “fishy” is more odor than taste, so curry or pesto seems to be good choices

Feb. goals:
    Walk every day
    Log all bites everyday
    Plan and do a fun thing every week

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png