How to respond to family members who disagree with weight goal

Options
12345679»

Replies

• smalls9686
    smalls9686 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have experienced this too, losing 42 pounds only put me in the overweight category. I learn to not speak numbers to love ones I just focus on health and size.

Stats: 34 yrs, small frame, 5 foot 1.5
    SW: 207 size 18 - 43% body fat
    CW: 142 size 8 - 28% body fat
    GW: 125-130? Size 6 body fat 22-25%
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    My mum and sister gave me a big lecture not half an hour ago.And i had to promise them till i was blue in the face that i will NOT lose another pound. I've got 4kgs (8lbs) left to lose till i'm at my goal weight.
    My husband secretly puts oil in my food or extra sugar on my fruit etc etc I honestly don't know what to think, obviously they're seeing something i'm not!

That is some serious sabotage going on! I would go ballistic on all of them. Your husband would learn quickly what it's like to have someone mess with his food. He'd be drinking and eating laxatives every chance I had. F**k with my food and my health...I'll get even in a way that would make the debil proud!

LOL it is incredibly annoying.
    But like i said there must be something to it if they're continuously hounding me. I'm 5'8 and 140lbs. Very far away from being anorexic!!!!!11

They're being so rude. And frankly, your husband is being especially bold
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Virkati wrote: »
    My mum and sister gave me a big lecture not half an hour ago.And i had to promise them till i was blue in the face that i will NOT lose another pound. I've got 4kgs (8lbs) left to lose till i'm at my goal weight.
    My husband secretly puts oil in my food or extra sugar on my fruit etc etc I honestly don't know what to think, obviously they're seeing something i'm not!

That is some serious sabotage going on! I would go ballistic on all of them. Your husband would learn quickly what it's like to have someone mess with his food. He'd be drinking and eating laxatives every chance I had. F**k with my food and my health...I'll get even in a way that would make the debil proud!

LOL it is incredibly annoying.
    But like i said there must be something to it if they're continuously hounding me. I'm 5'8 and 140lbs. Very far away from being anorexic!!!!!11

They're being so rude. And frankly, your husband is being especially bold

Yeah my husband would be running for the hills if he tried that!!

• Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Does anyone else have family members that don't agree with your weight goal? If so, what do you say to them/respond?

I have come to the conclussion that it is useless to talk with them about that because they will be always unhappy with my weight so better save my energy....
  • Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    kcd1961 wrote: »
    It depends if this is a one-off, or is it indicative of a long-term pattern of controlling and possibly abusive behaviour? If it's one-off, it's probably just parental concern and a bit of shame expressed badly, if it's a pattern...then that is another, rather complex ball game.

What? How is anything I write an insi action of abuse? You're going to have to spell that one out for me because I don't see it that way at all.

Was it a one time comment? Nope, and I'll likely hear it again the next time I'm with them. It's funny though because when I was overweight the nagged and said I should lose weight; I lose weight and suddenly it's too much.
    Lola3009 wrote: »
    They're probably mostly worried about the visual aspect. To them 50-60 pounds (gotta convert to kilos for a sec..aah ok) is like a small child. You could explain that it's not all going to be that literal and that it's impossible to visualise 50 pounds like that, it doesn't work that way in losing weight.

My parents are supportive, but also gawked when my mum asked me if I was nearly finished and I said I still had 40 or so pounds to go. People carry weight differently. It was clear I was overweight, but nobody would have guessed it was actually morbidly obese. I've seen pictures of people with my height and weight who looked way bigger than I did. So they'll just have to wait and see the end result and trust in your doctor!

That sound so similar to me. While obvious I'm overweight, I guess my body just distributes it fairly well so that no one body part is out of proportion.
    same
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Smile and nod because sometimes agreement will never be reached. My dad and step-mother think plump and sedentary is attractive. Their diet heavy on butter and whipping cream makes me gag. If your doctor thinks your goal is healthy and realistic, and you're not getting their via unhealthy means, ignore the NaySayers... Sometimes seeing positive changes in others xan be uncomfortable. If you stay the same, it makes them feel better and doesn't disrupt the status quo.

Congrats on you loss to date!
  • jaceytr0n
    jaceytr0n Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If they can't be happy and supportive then don't include them in discussions about your weight and goals. I know that's not as easy as it sounds, but find someone who will be happy for you. Some people will complain and argue about anything.
  • alyssa_6481
    alyssa_6481 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Honestly with some people it's just not worth the argument. Most people don't have the ability to look at someone who is a healthy weight (especially if they are overweight themselves) and say they weight this amount. Rather than argue with them smile, nod and don't correct their assumptions about how much you've lost, or how much more you plan to. Let your mom believe that 20 more pounds is your end goal, then just keep doing what your doing. If she comments, say those last 10 pounds are hard to get rid of.

^^ this! My grandma is always giving me a hard time and even went to the extreme of contacting my sister and asking her if I was eating and told her she didn't think I was getting enough protein (which is funny since my boyfriend, with whom I live, tells me I eat more protein than any girl he's ever met). Just smile and let the argument diffuse and then keep on doing what works for you.
  • JourneyingJessica
    JourneyingJessica Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Not that BMI is the sole indicator of health, but is your weight goal within the healthy BMI range for your height?

Very much so. My goal is weight would have me at 20.6. I would be happy with anything between 20 and 24.9. Going for more of a range then a set number.
    Who gives a *kitten* what your family members think. They're not the ones stuck in YOUR body 24/7. Just tell them to pound sand...in a nice way. "Thanks, but you're opinion is not needed."

Not that easy. Even when they yell I refuse to yell back. They help me with a lot, so I try my best not to be rude to them.

So sorry guys. I can totally see how my first post can sound like that lol. I'm on mobile, and when I type directly into the "start convo" box, it likes to cover what you are writing so you can see it (like it scrolls). Because of that, I thpically type things out on "notepad" and just c/p. Guess I forgot to hit "select all" lol.

Ok, clearly I'm still on page 1 but this comment stuck out for me. Lots of times whether consciously or subconsciously, if we help someone out (in whatever form: physical, monetary, emotionally, etc.) it's human nature to both expect something in return and expect to have some sort of say over the person to whom you are providing help. Does that make sense? I see it a lot with parents who provide some sort of monetary support for their adult children. The children are adults, yet the parents, due to providing assistance, feel that they can still "parent" the child. This may have already been addressed.

It has not really been addressed but you bring up a good point. Yes, they help me out a lot and if I ever needed anything, I know I could ask them (although don't abuse that privledge at all).

When I say help out, I don't mean financially. They technically own the apt I live in, but I pay the "monthly dues" they are charged, electricity, cable, Internet and telephone bill (so basically everything). They do however, come over fairly often and if I have yet to do something (like dishes haven't been put away yet or something) they take it upon themselves to do it. They also insist on taking and doing my laundry since they have a washer and dryer (so it's free) and I have to pay to use the ones in the basement.

They really don't expect much in return. I was raised LDS (left a LONG time ago) so they believe an unwed daughter is still their responsibility. I had to convince them to let me move out after college and pay my own bills lol.

I'd say they're helping you financially since mortgage/rent is typically most people's biggest bill. Plus all the other stuff, your post is actually throwing me off a little; wish I had someone doing all this stuff for me for free!

How are they helping me if I am paying the rent? Yes, it is in their name, but they check that pays it comes from me, in the full amount.

I misread your "monthly dues" quote as though they owned the apartment outright and you just paid the utilities.

Oh no lol. It's technically a "co-op" so the bill literally says "monthly dues".

Coop dues are not the same as rent. They own the property. You need to compare your monthly dues to a comparable apartment rental in your area. If the monthly dues are less than a comparable apartment from a stranger - they are helping you financially.