The most ridiculous diet tips you've ever heard?

Options

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Eat before you work out, don't eat before you work out, Drink caffeinated beverages before you work out, don't drink caffeine. Don't eat butter, butter is better than margarine.
  • ChristiZolly
    ChristiZolly Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate, maybe, with no sugar.
  • Firora
    Options
    salemxo wrote: »
    The other day a girl said that losing weight has nothing to do with calories, instead it's about counting the fat content only. U wot?

Also I recently heard about a "chocolate mono diet" where you eat ONLY 200-400g of chocolate each day for one week and drink only water. Again...what?! Surely that would make you gain 394789325 pounds? Wow!

What are the most stupid diet tips/advice you've heard? I need a laugh.

Actually, about the mono diet. You can eat as much chocolate as you want (provided that it doesn't contain any "extras", like nuts, fillings, etc. Also, it should mostly be dark chocolate, but a little bit of milk is okay. Just no white. White chocolate is basically eating fat.). It might seem like a dream way to lose weight, but you'll get sick of it within the day. Here's an explanation (NOT MY OWN WORDS, too lazy to simplify it, sorry >.<):

From what I've read, when combining foods while eating, the body has to spend more energy fixated on metabolizing a complex mess of foods in the digestive system, while trying to capture all the enzymes. However, when it gets too complicated, certain digestive enzymes end up canceling each other out and the food is left to rot and sits in the digestive tract. This leads to build up in the intestines as well as prevents the body time to repair tissues in other organs along with the digestive tract...when those repairs aren't made, the body is still stressed.

So mono-eating has the effect of simplifying things and giving the body a chance to fix itself, get rid of excess waste in the digestive system, and that go through the famous cleansing process. :P This it turn increases the body's lymph functions, reduces stress and delivers proper nourishment to the right places when needed, thus helping the body naturally burn calories and fats.

I'm sure this is far more effective with natural foods like fruits and vegetables than with chocolate or marshmallows, but I've also read how mono-mealing can lead to something called "habituation," the decrease in stimulus or response to something that is presented often. So eating the same food over and over again may eventually naturally leads us to decrease the intake of that food and thus consume less calories. However, I think because fruits and veggies are more nourishing it is difficult for anyone to feel habituated towards those foods and can as a result mono-diet with those foods for longer periods of time, or by simply switching out one fruit for another.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I had a friend at work tell me her personal trainer told her she shouldn't eat oatmeal for breakfast ever unless she was going to go running. I was like WTF? I didn't say anything. I just smiled when she told me, lol. Oy.
  • Feelgood97
    Feelgood97 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke :p
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    butter is better than margarine.
    it's true. butter tastes much better than margarine :wink:

ahhh... Fear of artificial sugars for dumb diet tips I guess
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Ha! Ha! Great posts!

I have heard the hot water one, where it is good for you for it melts body fat etc.

I have always drunk hot water, simply because I grew up drinking it. Once a a restaurant when I ordered hot water (no, I do not wish to have lemon with that, thank you), my colleagues remarked at using hot water to lose weight.

I also have a close relative that did the Master Colon Cleanse, because she was getting married in a few months. She said really did not care about the consequences, as long as she was smaller when she got married...
  • andreamaym
    andreamaym Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Juicing. I don't get it.
  • striving_muslimah
    Options
    Diet pills that supposedly "melt" fat *facepalm*
  • ausf
    ausf Posts: 51
    Options
    bYxfWmw.png

here you go.
    Lol
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    no carbs
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    butter is better than margarine.
    it's true. butter tastes much better than margarine :wink:

ahhh... Fear of artificial sugars for dumb diet tips I guess

exactly, this is not a bad tip. butter is natural. margarine is a chemical or something....not natural, lol

• Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    body wraps, the human growth hormone diet, that everything "natural" is always good
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Hmm maybe we could combine the HIV diet and chemo diet with juicing for ultimate weight loss. (Totally joking)
  • Captain_Wobbles
    Captain_Wobbles Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    just saw a thread that made me face palm hardcore. The advice passed on to the OP was "My trainer encouraged me to continue doing strength training but to do bodyweight training instead, which uses the body's weight to slim down rather than adding extra weights from beginning which causes you to build more muscle and bulk up" i noped out of the thread before i ended up derailing it.
  • britishbeau
    britishbeau Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    a lass where i used to work regularly quoted 'aint no diet like a 'phet diet'
  • msands09
    Options
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    Diet Pills!

This and all the diets you hear on TV like Nutrisystem, Herbalife . Portion control is something we need to teach ourselves. I can't imagine eating cardboard food forever. I eat all food and treats, but make sure I'm in a calorie deficit at the end of the day. Works!

Yes! I know so many people who jumped on Herbalife. I admit I tried it myself right before my wedding to shed a few extra pounds but I also had the full understanding that the weight I lost would most likely come back. I personally only know one person who actually lost a lot of weight with Herbalife and that was only because she was a waitress who worked so much she literally didn't have time to eat anything but her shakes. As a lifestyle change though I just don't see how Herbalife could work long term? I mean what do you do walk around with a blender and all of your supplies? I also personally realized I don't have that much of a sweet tooth to drink two of those shakes a day and only have a meal with a few snacks in between. I also just missed food and substance while doing Herbalife. It didn't satisfy me personally.
  • Danni_peck
    Options
    The juicing diet. I mean maybe for flushing out toxins, but your weight will yo-yo.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Danni_peck wrote: »
    The juicing diet. I mean maybe for flushing out toxins, but your weight will yo-yo.

There are no toxins that your liver and kidneys don't take care of that could be affected by juicing. If you're liver and kidneys aren't working, juicing isn't going to help, you need medical intervention.

• SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    The "skinny girl diet." Not healthy, and unsustainable. Probably lowers metabolism in the long run. Not to mention the risk of health problems. Ditto for any fasts longer than 12 hours.
    I mean... it works, though. And anyone who's doing it probably isn't planning to go back to "normal eating" once it's over, or they don't end up being able to.