Options
    Good news ... down 2.5 pounds.

Bad news ... the gi bug won.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,737 Member
    Options
    morning ladies,
    working at 10:30 this morning..
    overslept and didnt wake up until a little after 6 ,when I am usually up around 4,so I must have needed it..
    we are getting another snow storm next monday and weds. like we need it....
    so tired of it...
    we have a contractor coming saterday morning to give us a quote on refacing the cabinets
    then next weds tub surround people coming..
  • snowdoggy
    snowdoggy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Good morning,

Another day - another work out - another day of accounting for calories. Reading everyone's posts help me to stay on my journey. One of my goals is to be lifting heavier weights. The trick is to be consistent - 3 days a week doing weights - and slowly increasing over time.

More snow in the forecast for Baltimore. No more, I'm ready for Spring!

Snowdoggy
    Baltimore, MD
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday ! ! !

Barbie - Thanks for the reminder about all the excuses. I need to get that thinking under control.

bwcetc - good luck with the gi bug. I hope it passes quickly.

Sharon - more hugs and prayers. (my ex and his attorney played that game, too. They kept dragging it out for years, never being fully prepared. The goal was for me to run out of money and just give-up). Sending MORE hugs ! ! !

pipcd34 - I am on a beta-blocker, so my heart-rate never gets very high. My blood pressure is most often below 110/60. My exercise is to keep my joints and muscles healthy, and no longer for weight control (although it is an added benefit, when i don't over-eat).

Hugs to everyone with too much (or not enough) snow. Personally, I am done with winter. I am actually cold sitting at work today, snuggling a mug of mint tea.

Welcome to everyone who is new, and thank you to everyone, as I consider you all to be my friends.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,269 Member
    Options
    Dreamwritet - sending you hugs during these stressful times. I bet you just want yo wave a magic wand! :flowerforyou:

Alison - more snow! Oh my word! :sad:

I have never tried heavy lifting as I hate gyms, but I hear it can work miracles. I mean real big weights. :laugh: Cynthia - you are lifting a whole lotta dumbbell! ! ! ! ! ! ! My heaviest are 20 lbs each and I do bicep curls with them. I use one of them for squats. I use one for overhead tricep with two hands and I use one for tricep curls with one foot up on the bed and leaning forward. Sorry don't know any of the names.
    For side arm raises I use 5lb ones and for rows I use 15 lb ones.
    My body shape is the best it has ever been! :blushing: Wish I could say the same for the texture! :ohwell:

I was going yo get bigger dumbbells for DH, but he developed a hernia just before we went on holiday, so the 9 kg ones are enough for now.

DH didn't get back from football until 1 pm last night as the turnings off the motorway had been blocked. He had to come a very long way round! Luckily his team won! He had a good meet up with his daughter. :love:

I got through the day, but only just. Went 200 over, which is ok. I resisted the lure of alcohol until 10 pm and then had one small, measured drink. Phew! I felt all day as if I was bingeing, but it was all no cal/low cal stuff. I was stuffed though. I really take my hat off to those of you who live alone and are sticking to your diet. :flowerforyou: DH is the most enormous help to me. The minute he is out of the door the urge comes over me to binge. Luckily I now have the resources to cope with that and the techniques to get through it, but the feelings are still there. Once upon a time I would have cleaned out the cheese box and eaten a huge plate of rice and hard boiled eggs with lots of ground black pepper. That was my go to binge food!
    I also take my hat off to those with stressful full time jobs. :flowerforyou: like the new lady from Chester UK and many others. Planning is essential. Batch cooking, slow cookers, careful, planned shopping and having a go to healthy food snack for "those moments".
    I also take my hat off to those of you who still have youngish children at home. :flowerforyou: Having food fit for growing teenagers around the house is a challenge I'm sure. I was lucky in that I didn't really like that kind of food and was able to think of it as "their" food and nothing to do with me. In Britain parents often eat separately from children and often different food. I got round all this by buying very good quality preprepared food which the boys could heat up or cook themselves when they got in so I wasn't doing lots of different dishes. This was expensive, but worked fine. Both my boys are excellent cooks and one was a professional for a while at uni. :bigsmile:

I've got a big pot of "passata" on the stove at the moment, which I will divide into four lots. Three I will freeze. The other one I will add some chilli flakes to and some peas and make a king prawn and tomato sauce for pasta for DH and shiritaki noodles for me.
    With the shiritski, I prefer the ones that have about 50 cals per packet, rather than the 14. I think they are less rubbery. I eat the whole packet. Rinse them well, then toss them for a few minutes in a dry, non stick frying pan. That seems to reduce the rubberiness. If I am having them in soup then I don't bother with that.
    We will also have snow peas with the dinner.

Love to all. I am sticking to my typing despite my "monkey mind" trying to distract me with every other task I can think of. :bigsmile: The book "Level Up Your Day" has been a grest help in organising my day for peak efficiency. I got it on my Kindle for £1.99 . Anyone who feels a bit disorganized and distracted and can't prioritise sould find it helpful.
    Barbie - I too am looking forrward to Gretchen Rubin's new book. Out in March, I think.

Heather in flowery and mild Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »

Pipcd34 you ask about a resting heart rate. If anyone is taking a beta blocker for their heart or for blood pressure, using the resting heart rate to judge your exercise won't work. You have to use an exertion scale. Now my MS can't tell you what all that is but it has to do with how your body is feeling as far an exertion, how well you can easily have a conversation while exercising, etc.

Joyce, Indiana

yeah, i'm aware of some meds can keep your hr down so it wouldn't work, I forgot to mention that I knew that. I guess I meant for the ladies that were not on meds and trying to get into the kick of knowing what their target heart rate should be. my hrm is on my phone so when I am riding, I am not looking at it to see how hard it's pumping. when I had the polar watch kind, I would be going up a a hill or even a slight incline and I swear my heart was beating out of my chest and I look at my watch and it's something like 135!! I am thinking to myself, IS THAT ALL???? for me 135 is not working hard. the highest I've seen it was 202. I know I am working when it see it at 150-165 bpm. so sometimes when you THINK you are killing yourself (at least in my case), you're really not. since I ride every day, sometimes it's just my legs are just a bit tired. so for me it's "mind over legs"
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Mary - I think that 'lifting heavy' sometimes refers to fewer reps at significant weight per rep. I've never done that, but when you use the Y's weight machines and the FitLinxx system it tracks everything for you. In 2013 I lifted 2 million pounds in 86 sessions during the year, averaging 22388 pounds per session, and was able to maintain 168 pounds, size 12, and felt great. Here are the weights/rep I was at: leg press - 250, leg extension/curl - 75, abductor/adductor (legs in/out) - 85, lat pull down - 65, chest press - 50, bicep curls - 45, tricep - 45, back extension - 150, ab machine - 60, seated row - 75. Unfortunately I had to stop doing the weights in mid-2014 due to an injury and another situation, but now that I've had my surgery am looking forward to getting back to the weights in a week or two. I'll be starting at lower weights again, of course. It made a huge difference for me.

Heather - your comment about 'monkey brain' made me laugh. Our DS#1, when he was recovering from his brain injury, used to say that!

Need to get on to some chores for now -
    Gail, metro ATL
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I have 15 minute this a.m. to catch up. Then I need to get the last bedroom in the basement painted and the house cleaned up (NEEDS it…!!) before hubby gets home. AND I want to go to town and have Wednesday lunch with friends.

Yes – I am skipping work again.
    Patty – I work 4 – 10 hr days. Then I try to get caught up at home on Fridays. I spend two hours a day driving to and from work…so I am wiped by Thursday night. I can only accomplish small projects during the week. And I am trying to be on my rebounder for 20 minutes every night.

Sharon – grandkids are so much fun – my DGD was here on Sunday, she is 18 months old and growing so fast and getting so so smart!!

Janet – great loss. I managed to only gain 2 pounds on my excursion to Needles, CA. The two hour time difference gave me plenty of time to walk before everyone else got up. That probably saved me!!

JB in Portland – good poem. May I use it at my TOPS chapter meeting?

Heather – tell hubby to leave the jars alone – or else he will be the one taking the labels off…  Yes please post the recipe for the Allbran fruit loaf.

Katla – yes curling takes patience and skill. Sometimes I have it and most times I don’t ..ha ha … I am there for the exercise and the socializing. Unfortunately there are only 2 weeks left before the curling is over. Then there will be a LONG wait for the golf courses to open 

Snowdoggy – welcome. I too feel the scale is an enemy. I never had a scale at home until about 6 months ago. I only weighed once a week at TOPS. Now hubby brought one home and it is in our master bathroom… AND for some reason it calls me… DAMMIT!! I can’t even hide it under the sink…(pedestal sink  ).

Barbie – good advice….. “even though MFP has weight loss tickers and a place to enter your weight, you don't have to weigh yourself. On this thread many of us have fabulous goals that aren't about losing a certain number of pounds. My goals are about behaviours that will contribute to health and fitness and a better attitude.”

Carey – I wonder if the treats will have an impact on the WEM? My DIL is going there. She said it will be on her mind, but the girls she hangs out with are going shopping there.

Sally – 3.5 million steps WOW!!!

Bobbi – “I'm just trying to keep the jelly roll from gaining anymore hold on my midsection! Truly, I only need to drop about 8-10 pounds, but when you are short and of a certain age, those pounds sure are determined to stick with you!”
    Welcome – I am vertically challenged too, 5’4” and of that certain age. Darn jelly roll !!  

Oh my goodness – I better set the timer next time. My 15 minutes were up a long time ago....9:45 already and I better get at it or I won’t make lunch in town. Still a couple pages behind…darn it!!

Take care everyone
    Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I'm off to the gym this morning, and DH will come along a bit later to join. I hope he can get a tenth the good out of it that I do. It is doing good things for me, because I work at it.
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I watched The Doctors tv show today where they were doing an intervention on Honey Boo Boo's weight and diet. In essence, they were saying that a better diet would help alleviate the asthma problems she was having as well as help with the obesity. They got the family a new nutritionist and hired a chef to help teach better habits. It seemed like mom was totally oblivious to most of what the doctors were telling her and kept making excuses. I hope that she will be won over and make changes.

• RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Wow - you ladies have been busy here! Nice work.

The temps are in the double digits today so it’s balmy outside!! Yesterday was so cold that one of the sprinkler system pipes in our lobby burst and the alarms all went off. My office is just above the lobby and it sounded like a bomb went off! Luckily it happened during the day. Within 5 minutes we had 4 inches of water in the lobby. They said that those pipes pump out 300 gallons a minute. Of course when they opened the doors to push the water outside it started to freeze. What a mess. Things are cleaned up today but I didn’t know whether to wear my boots and parka or my rain coat and ice skates today. LOL

Time to go fill up those water bottles!!
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone. I've already finished three drafting jobs and it's not even 10 am, so I feel pretty good about that. Now I have a couple of hours to mess around in the studio before going to the library at noon for the Liberal Ladies lunch. Those are really fun.

I looked at the calendar and found that it's only been 3 weeks since my surgery. I could have sworn it had been longer. So, it's 3 more weeks before I can get back to my life. In the meantime, my weight is staying about the same, in spite of eating like a pig last night, with baked chicken and red potatoes cooked in a skillet in olive oil. I used to call those FRIED but I don't fry things anymore. Hah! The olive oil makes them healthy, right? I put my no-salt seasoning on them and hubby added salt at the table. He gobbled them up.

Yesterday for lunch I made a peach and cherry clafoutis, which was wonderful. I made individual portions in custard dishes and put three in the freezer for another day. They were not overly sweet, which I really liked. I think I'll make those when the kids are over and let them all choose their favorite fruit.

Well, I have got to get busy. Have a great day everyone!

Sylvia

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Here's today's joke of the day:

:)

A man gets pulled over by the police for speeding.

The cop walks up to the car and says to the driver, "Sir, did you know that you were going 60 miles an hour?"

The driver says, "Officer, there is no way I could have been going 60 miles an hour!"

The cop says, "Really! Why is that?"

The driver replies, "I could not have been going 60 miles an hour because I've only been out driving for 25 minutes."

:D
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,135 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Thanks for all of the feedback on heavy lifting that you do. I am thinking of trying the strong lift 5 X 5 which is supposed to give dramatic results. I saw a thread on the community called Halp! Heavy lifting made me Supah bulky! !!! Which was really meant as sarcasm. All the women that were on there had unbelievable results in an extremely short amount of time. Check it out you will not believe it. A lot of them do the strong lift or some type of women's bodybuilding lifting classes. They have several before and after pictures to look at.

Pipcd34 - I took my resting heart rate several times this morning before I got out of bed and it was anywhere from 48 beats per minute up to 51 beats per minute. I do not take any medication at all. And I do 2 to 3 hours of cardio 5 days to 6 days per week. chart and at the age of 57 I am NOT on it. My heart rate is too low. Is that something I should be concerned about?

Sylvia - thanks for the joke.

Well time for me to exercise! Hugs to all that need them. Welcome to the new ladies that keep appearing on here! You will find this to be a very supportive community. Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,135 Member
    Options
    that thread about heavy lifting is on the 3rd or 4th page of success stories if anyone is interested in looking at that.

Mary from Minnesota

• jolenec1
    jolenec1 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Morning Glorious Gals,
    It’s a beautiful day, but cloudy and still abundantly snow covered. This is now almost two weeks of snow. Doesn’t mother nature know this is Tennessee??? LOL. Tomorrow should be a great weight loss day for me. I am on clear liquids and test prep all day before the ultimate violation (colonoscopy ) on Friday. OH, JOY!! Slid into the house last night when I came home from work and kinked my back a bit, but I will live.

Beth-My poor girls have been abused my me over the years. I am a well endowed girl and they have had hot grease spilled down them, be brusied when I fell on the corner of a concrete step (almost broke a rib), and my mother closed one of them up in a ceramic mold for a lamp (accidentally she said). If I were them, I’d go on strike. The worst part of this pattern is the evidence of how clumsy I am. anyway by now they have been through the wringer (and look it) no pun intended (lmbo).

MegBlair1- I live in extreme Northwest Tennessee just a short distance from the Kentucky line. We are still enjoying the snow.

Exermom- I am crocheting 3 Sophie’s Universe blankets. Its part of a crochet along calendar project that we do as a group on facebook. No one knows what it will look like completely until the end of the project but so far it is pretty. This is what it looks like so far Sophies%20garden%20square2_zps862ajrjq.jpg
    There are some really nice patterns on allfreecrochet.com you might find some tree skirt patterns there. I sent you a pattern in a message. Hope it will work for you.

Katab2014- Hi and welcome to the group. These are awesome ladies that have helped me tremendously.

Mollywhippet- cute joke!

Everyone have a great day!!

JoleneC1-NW Tennessee
  • SueTN2
    SueTN2 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I need to read this daily..

Life isn't fair, but it's still good. Life is too short-- enjoy it. Cry with someone. It's more healing than crying alone. Make peace with your past so it won't screw up the present and the future. It's OK to let your children see you cry.
    Don't compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about. If a relationship has to be secret, you shouldn't be in it.
    Take a deep breath, it calms the mind. Everything can change in the blink of an eye. It's never too late to be happy. But it's all up to you and no one else. When it comes time to go after what you love in life, don't take no for an answer. Burn the nice candles, use the nice sheets, wear the nice lingerie, wear the nice clothes. Don't save it for a special occasion. Today is special.
    Over prepare, then go with the flow. No one is in charge of your happiness but you. Frame every so-called disaster with these words: 'In five years will this matter?' Always choose life. Forgive but don't forget. Time heals almost everything. Give time, time. However good or bad a situation is, it will change. All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile and we saw everyone else's, we'd grab ours back. Envy is a waste of time. Accept what you already have, not what you need. Yield. Friends are the family we choose. Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.*
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Enjoying the posts today while I still rest. Doc called and said not a bladder infection so not sure what is going on. Will get things checked out if I have more trouble.

Meg - I only say that acupuncture has helped my a1c because of levels under 7 despite horrible eating over the past seven years. Purely my own observation. I am on Metformin (lower dose now - YEAH) but I really ignored the importance of normal healthy eating for BG control until this summer. I loved getting treatment once a week but now just do once a month because of $ and the time it takes. It really kept me going when I taught.

Jolene - chuckled at your stories about the "girls". I don't have a lot in that department and of course they are the first to go when I lose weight. I think my tummy would get pinched before the girls suffered.
    Nice crochet work. Do you all add on and change up the pattern? How do you determine the next section?

TNSue - good words to ponder. I appreciate your post. Where does the quote come from?

Toni in more snow is expected TN

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,269 Member
    Options
    Had an update on my ex from DS#2 . It was liver problems, not kidneys. May have been caused by an infection plus the meds he is on for his stent. He is going home tomorrow and damage should heal. I hope he continues to improve. We married when I was 20, having met on the first day at uni. We were together 27 years. In my dreams he is still my husband and my children are young. His parents often figure in my dreams. I rarely dream of my DH or my grown up children. :ohwell:

DH said I was a genius tonight for my pasta recipe. He said he could have eaten it all again! :love:

Big shop tomorrow. We need to replenish the freezer with meat, fish and seafood. Buy fresh veg. Fruit. Bread. I do not like the big supermarket, but I will go with DH. It is just too big. :ohwell:

Bye for now!

Heather UK
    27681614.png
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

Good afternoon, ladies. It’s still cold and damp here but no snow. (and that suits me just fine.)

*MargaretTX, welcome and yes it’s great that you didn’t go two steps back. If you actually log everything that goes in your mouth, every day and come to this great group every day, hopefully you will start only going forward. I started out losing like gangbusters the first two months and it has really slowed down, but happily I’m still moving forward. This is a life journey for me and I know I can do it and you can too. We are happy to have you join us.

*Sue TN, I think we are all more than ready for spring! You hit the nail on the head in that you don’t plan your meals. I urge you to start planning…I mean you are stuck in the house. Make it a game, hobby or whatever works for you and sit at the computer with the food data base on your screen and plan, plan, plan. We are with you to succeed.
    Very inspiring words. It wouldn’t hurt most of us to read it every day.

*Lesley, tell us more about the puppy you are going to baby sit for. How old, what kind, etc. Maybe you can send us a picture of it. You are such a good person. I know I won’t leave my babies with just anyone.

*Barbie, truer words were never spoken, at least for me. I can’t imagine “trying” to do this alone rather than “succeeding” in doing it with the help of all of you. Thank you to all you wonderful ladies!!!

*Kata, welcome to our group. And I agree that we all need some wacky friends in our lives. Moves are always stressful even when just in the same town, so I can’t imagine moving to another country. Hang with us and you will get lots of support and some useful information as well.

*Joyce, I’m glad for you that the musical is an earlier time. I worry a bit about us Seniors driving so late at night.

*Linda
    , I love beans and hate how high they are in carbs. I just try to spread out the times that I eat them so I don’t get too much in one day or week. In fact, I’ve discovered that I really like most carbs, but I think potatoes are the things I would eat at every meal if I could. Just remember to plan and hopefully you can keep the carbs where you want them.

*Sylvia, I liked the joke and his way of thinking. 

*Toni, keep us posted on your health. Are you still having the same problems? Sending good thoughts your way.

Welcome to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I've been doing well with my exercising. I am slowly upping the reps and adding new ones. Since I do it all at home, I'm finding so many web sites that have great exercises and am able to pick the ones that I can do. I think it's helping and I just feel better about myself for doing something, rather than expecting this body to miraculously transform itself. I know if I can do it, anyone can.

I saw on the news about the cruise ship that had to stay out in the fog from Tuesday morning until Wednesday night. Those people just got almost 2 extra days and didn't seem to mind too much. But they cancelled the next cruise that was supposed to leave on Tuesday. I told my cruising buddy that I'd be really upset if I were leaving for temperatures in the 70's and they had to cancel my cruise. I know I'm ready for Spring. (or even summer)

Have a great day, all.

My word #1 is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.

#2 is opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC