Women who eat more than 1800 calories a day !!!!

Options

Replies

• rainbowxelephant
    rainbowxelephant Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    *** HELP *** FEELING FRUSTRATED!!

General question for MFP fam.... If you're trying to loose weight, would you stick to just cardio in the beginning? Or, would you do a combination of cardio/ strength training? I haven't really noticed a change in the scale. Going on the 2nd week with no changes..... Calorie defecit every day. I've been doing cardio & strength training. Not sure if I should stop the weights..... I really enjoy it. Makes me feel "stronger".

Should I be eating closer to my calorie goal? I would think that this would defeat the purpose of loosing weight......

Yes, I've lost some inches..... But I want to drop some lbs too!!

Any suggestions? 0_o

If you don't eat enough calories, your body will hang onto fat and fluids. Building muscle is the best way to lose fat. Weight and strength training, and don't be afraid to lift fairly heavy ( so you max out at 8-10 reps ) BUT you HAVE to EAT!!!! You won't see results by severely restricting your calories. Quite the opposite. But give it at least four weeks before you say you "aren't seeing results", it takes time to change your body composition

And you say you've lost inches, if that's the case who cares what the scale says? That's just your relation to the earth based on the gravitational pull anyways.
  • ddconney7
    ddconney7 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Read this later
  • steff274
    steff274 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hey I am maintaining I eat on average 2500 calories a day am 5ft 2 and currently 104 pounds ;)
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    Bump to find later.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Silly double-posts. I really am off my forum game today.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Do you see that little star all the way to the right of the title? (If you're on a PC) It should be empty. If you click it, it bookmarks the thread so you can reference it easily without bumping (necro'ing) a dead thread. You'll know you're good when it turns yellow.

Then when you want to visit a bookmarked thread, you can click on the star icon near the top of your page between the Bell and the Gear. It'll list out all of your bookmarks.
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2. At 1800 calories a day i lost inches and lose at a rate of .5lb/week.
  • Serena272
    Serena272 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi any idea how many I should eat,I am 44yrs old,I excersise and hour and half Monday to Friday cardio and weights,sat and sun are active but just walking,I am 10.5 at min any input would be great sx
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4". In maintenance at 130-133 lbs. I'm aiming for 1900 calories per day, which could be slightly over maintenance based on data but I'm trying anyway. This is with a lightly active lifestyle, no cardio, and heavy lifting 4x per week.

I'm considering doing a LITTLE cardio, but don't think it will change my maintenance much. So maybe not.

I work on a weekly calorie goal so you'll see anything from 1600-3000 calories in a day in my diary.
  • fr3smyl
    Options
    I am 5'2". In the last 70 days ( I started 70 days ago) I have lost 22 pounds eating around 1800 calories a day.
  • fr3smyl
    Options
    I am 5'2". In the last 70 days ( I started 70 days ago) I have lost 22 pounds eating around 1800 calories a day. I went from 188 to 165.5lbs on lightly active.

Actually I'm 5'1.5" :p
  • fr3smyl
    Options
    I am 5'2". In the last 70 days ( I started 70 days ago) I have lost 22 pounds eating around 1800 calories a day. I went from 188 to 165.5lbs on lightly active.

Actually I'm 5'1.5" :p
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Serena272 wrote: »
    Hi any idea how many I should eat,I am 44yrs old,I excersise and hour and half Monday to Friday cardio and weights,sat and sun are active but just walking,I am 10.5 at min any input would be great sx

When you put your height, weight, and goals into http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided what does it tell you? Tip - 2 pounds per week is too aggressive for a lot of people unless they have a whole lot of weight to lose.

(I list my activity level as Sedentary and log my exercise. I don't eat back all my exercise calories.)
  • LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite thread of all time.
  • lovematthewchristopher
    lovematthewchristopher Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I used to eat less, but always felt like i was starving myself. I now eat between 1800-2000, and i have lost a total of 73 pounds.I also have much more energy!
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread. I'm tall, very active and maintaining. I can lose/maintain on a lot of calories. Usually between 2300-3000. I stay on the lower end during the week and the higher end over the weekend typically.

When I was losing I stayed between 1900 - 2400 calories. I lost 80 lbs at a slower, comfortable pace and I never dropped my calories too low. For a short time I did go a little below my caloric needs to see if I could speed up my weight loss. I was miserable and quickly went bad to eating more.

For exercise I speed walk daily for 3 - 5 miles, lift weights 4 days a week, and also I do calisthenics and exercise videos.

This is something definitely that is maintainable and I haven't had problems dropping my calories when I was unable to be as active.

Don't be scared to eat a little more ladies (just as long as you are staying within your range). :)
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    *** HELP *** FEELING FRUSTRATED!!

General question for MFP fam.... If you're trying to loose weight, would you stick to just cardio in the beginning? Or, would you do a combination of cardio/ strength training? I haven't really noticed a change in the scale. Going on the 2nd week with no changes..... Calorie defecit every day. I've been doing cardio & strength training. Not sure if I should stop the weights..... I really enjoy it. Makes me feel "stronger".

Should I be eating closer to my calorie goal? I would think that this would defeat the purpose of loosing weight......

Yes, I've lost some inches..... But I want to drop some lbs too!!

Any suggestions? 0_o

If you don't eat enough calories, your body will hang onto fat and fluids. Building muscle is the best way to lose fat. Weight and strength training, and don't be afraid to lift fairly heavy ( so you max out at 8-10 reps ) BUT you HAVE to EAT!!!! You won't see results by severely restricting your calories. Quite the opposite. But give it at least four weeks before you say you "aren't seeing results", it takes time to change your body composition

And you say you've lost inches, if that's the case who cares what the scale says? That's just your relation to the earth based on the gravitational pull anyways.

Your body cannot and will not "hang onto fat and fluids." Also, 8-10 reps is "fairly heavy" according to what? The user you're responding to is saying that she's "going on the 2nd week with no changes." That's not long enough to start changing her program. If she's not losing weight for 4-6 weeks of keeping a deficit, it's likely she's eating more than she realizes and should invest in food scale to tighten up her logging.
  • mrswattsfresh
    mrswattsfresh Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I wasn't looking to lose a ton of weight, just my muffin top, and I lost 35 lbs in about 9-10 months eating 1800+ a day. I've never felt deprived, and I think this is a lifestyle I can permanently maintain. I do a lot of cardio and strength training at the gym. And I'm lighter, healthier and stronger now at 41 than I was at 21.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    Bumping this thread is good stuff, newbies should be able to see it.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I lost about 50 lbs eating 1800-2300/day. (Started about 100-110 lbs overweight). I stalled out when I couldn't be as active due to a sprained ankle, and I tried to cut my calories lower but didn't stick to it. I'm just now refocusing on generating a big deficit while eating 1800+ per day. My goal daily burn is 2800 kcals, which I accomplish mainly by throwing in steps throughout the day and some exercise daily (e.g., 20 minutes intervals or 20 min weight training, or dancing)