How do you cut your craving for sugar??

Options

Replies

• Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I stopped placing sweets in a bad/unhealthy category and placed all food including sugary stuff in the same category..."food".

Once I stopped seeing it as something "bad" or "forbidden" I stopped craving it. Bowl of cookies is on my counter. It bothers me about as much as the milk in the fridge.

Try to see it in the same light as you would any snack between meals. It's helped me a lot with eating it in moderation.
  • lgramberg15
    lgramberg15 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    Everytime I crave it?? ^

Save room in your day for a dessert. My diary is open. You will see a dessert in there every. single. night. Why do you need to cut the craving?

I'm having a very hard time losing weight and I think it might be due to how much sugar I eat

It's down to how many calories you consume, not sugar.

If you want to cut it out then do so, just don't fill the gap with something else. Either that or exercise a bit more willpower. I'm afraid there aren't any other choices.

Obviously I know that it's down to calorie intake, I'm not stupid.. Sugar has more calories than other types of food I.e. If I eat it im consuming more calories....
  • Leana088
    Options
    Everytime I crave it?? ^

Save room in your day for a dessert. My diary is open. You will see a dessert in there every. single. night. Why do you need to cut the craving?

I'm having a very hard time losing weight and I think it might be due to how much sugar I eat

Weight loss comes down to calories in/calories out or the balance of energy your body recieves from food. Too much energy gets stored (weight gain). Too little energy from food, and your body starts using fat reserves to make up for the shortage (weight loss).

Tighten up your logging in MFP, weigh solids with a food scale and meassure liquids with meassuring cups. A very small difference can add up over the course of a week and wipe out your deficit.

Or lower your calorie goal.
  • Leana088
    Options
    Everytime I crave it?? ^

If you want to cut it out then do so, just don't fill the gap with something else. Either that or exercise a bit more willpower. I'm afraid there aren't any other choices.

Obviously I know that it's down to calorie intake, I'm not stupid.. Sugar has more calories than other types of food I.e. If I eat it im consuming more calories....

If you cut it out chances are you will want it even more and end up binging on it anyway. If you can't eat it in moderation while its in the house, only buy treats once every two days (or when you prefer) that are already single serve portions.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Everytime I crave it?? ^

Peanut butter is an excellent dessert. So is cookie butter.

What is cookie butter?

I find that I crave less when I eat more filling & nutritionally dense meals.

I crave more when I am bored or watching tv. I distract myself from cravings when I don't want to indulge (like if I want to save my calories for something else or for later in the day) by drinking water or hot coffee/tea (both of which I take black ).

If I have enough calories and I'm close to my macro goals I will eat a treat.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Everytime I crave it?? ^

Actually, sugar is a carb, which has 4 calories per gram, which is less than the 9 calories per gram that is in fat.

If you are eating sugary things in excess and that is causing you to go over your calories for the day, then perhaps you should not have them around. I personally would binge on bread and other carb/starchy foods including any candy that I bought. For a long time, I had to not buy it at all.

Then, when I felt I had control over my cravings, I slowly reintroduced sugary items, but in sensible portions. For me, the way to do that was to go out to a nice gelato shop and buy a single 3oz serving. I got used to the correct portion. I also found I loved quality gelato, and that I was much more satisfied with full flavors.

Now, I can buy ice cream and gelato and keep it in my house, weigh out one single portion, and be satisfied and save the rest for future enjoyment.

If you are within you daily calorie limit and not losing weight, it's not because of the sugar. Tighten up your logging and making sure you are being accurate in what you log (avoid generic and inaccurate entries in the database, weigh solid foods, measure liquids, track everything that goes into your mouth).
  • lgramberg15
    Options
    Leana088 wrote: »
    Everytime I crave it?? ^

If you cut it out chances are you will want it even more and end up binging on it anyway. If you can't eat it in moderation while its in the house, only buy treats once every two days (or when you prefer) that are already single serve portions.
    Unfortunately I don' buy my own food,I go to college and am on a dining plan
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    Everytime I crave it?? ^

Nobody said or even implied that you were stupid.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm most definitely addicted to sugar..most of the time the sugar I eat in the day comes from fruit (some from added sugar like chocolate or vitamin water), but I find myself craving sweets every night and I need to learn how to cut the craving! Any ideas/advice?

Eat sweets with a protein or fiber. Sweetened nuts are my favorite. Peanut butter oatmeal cookies are also good (I add more oats than most recipes call for and sometimes an extra egg). The protein and fiber helps stop the wild swings in blood sugar that can trigger cravings for more and more.

Another quick dessert I like is to mix pb with a little maple syrup and just eat it with a spoon.
  • sebd12
    sebd12 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was a huge fan of added sugar. Doughnuts, super sweet coffee drinks, any and all baked sweets. I can eat an entire box of cookies in one sitting.
    But, Sugar also makes me feel super tired, and can even make me pass out (I ate an entire bag of gummy peach-o's and promptly passed out with my head on my desk).
    So when it gets out of control I do a "sugar reset." No added sugar for a month. You can do anything for a month, it's only 30 days. If I want something sweet, I have fruit. I don't eat sugar substitutes. Cream only in coffee. I drink fruity herbal teas, have peanut butter/banana/dark cocoa powder shakes, etc, but I steer clear of white sugar, honey, etc. after about a week I can actually taste the sugar in my food. Strawberries and raisins taste like candy and satisfy my sweet tooth. I still love dark chocolates and cookies, but after a month without them they taste very sugary and I can get by eating just one instead of an entire box.
    Use spices to your advantage! Putting cinnamon in my oatmeal makes it seem sweeter because cinnamon/sugar are always paired together!

I also buy expensive chocolate. I'm not wasting calories on a nasty, waxy twix bar or Hershey's kisses or gummy candies. But I can savor a $5 bar of dark chocolate and it lasts me a while. A piece of dark chocolate with a bowl of fresh raspberries is my go-to dessert now, and it's only about 100 cal.
  • Leana088
    Options
    Everytime I crave it?? ^

You still make the choice to eat it. If they serve dessert, cut the portion in half and give the other half to someone else.
  • wizzybeth
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Everytime I crave it?? ^

That certainly makes it more challenging since you don't know what went into the foods. What kinds of options do you have? I would try to stick to things that are easier to guesstimate the calories. ..like avoid casserole choices such as shepherds pie or mac and cheese (or take a really small portion). Choose single items like a piece of grilled chicken...a salad...veggies...a baked rather than mashed potatoes if you can.

If all else fails search the database for restaurant foods that seem like a good fit and opt for the higher calorie choice.

• dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Since you have a craving at night could you leave around 50-200 calories to enjoy a treat at night like Hot Chocolate, a few squares of your favorite chocolate, a serving of ice cream/gelato, or some fruit with whatever dip you wanted?

If you're having a hard time losing weight it could be that you're eating more calories than you assume or you're overestimating how many calories you burn from exercise.
  • ChefSteveUrso
    ChefSteveUrso Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    If you stop eating sweets/sugar for at least a week the cravings should stop, it did for me. I've lost 99lbs so far and only eat a bite of sweet treats once in a while. 1-2 dates are my go to for a super sweet something after dinner now or fruit. Sugar ages people prematurely and makes us store fat, as well as a boatload of other health problems. The sooner you get your sugar intake to a minimum and use it as a "special treat" the better, our bodies aren't evolved to eat large amounts of sugar everyday. In the long run it will ruin your health.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I cut it out completely for a couple of weeks. Then I limited refined carbs. Then the cravings went away. Problem solved. Good luck!
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    Eating excessive calories make us store fat.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I cut it out of my diet completely years ago. The cravings will subside after a couple of weeks.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Everytime I crave it?? ^

Like?

As far as your initial question, eat less of it, and it will subside...

• lgramberg15
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Everytime I crave it?? ^

Sugar is a carb. Carbs have 4 kcal per gram, the same as protein. Fat has 9.

But, as you say, you're not stupid, so make a choice - cut it out, eat less of it, or stay fat.

Not quite sure what I ever did to you, but you have no right to talk to me like that. Please get off my post
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I have craved sugar ever since I can remember. I was one of those kids who got up in the middle of the night to sneak it. So for me cutting it out entirely is the only thing that keeps me from having annoying cravings for as much of it as I can shovel in. I consider myself an extreme case. Lots of people have had luck giving it up for awhile, then reintroducing it. Every time I try that, it's five pounds I have to lose again.