How do you cut your craving for sugar??

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Maybe uncalled for but he's right, sugar doesn't magically have more calories than any other carb source.
  • BaliRun
    BaliRun Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Everytime I crave it?? ^

Peanut butter is an excellent dessert. So is cookie butter.

I reach for the peanut butter to satisfy my cravings, just a teaspoon does the trick. Can't have cookie butter in my house though because I will eat the whole jar in two day. I have no self control with that stuff! So yummy & addicting :#
  • lgramberg15
    lgramberg15 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Leana088 wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    Everytime I crave it?? ^

Save room in your day for a dessert. My diary is open. You will see a dessert in there every. single. night. Why do you need to cut the craving?

I'm having a very hard time losing weight and I think it might be due to how much sugar I eat

It's down to how many calories you consume, not sugar.

If you want to cut it out then do so, just don't fill the gap with something else. Either that or exercise a bit more willpower. I'm afraid there aren't any other choices.

Obviously I know that it's down to calorie intake, I'm not stupid.. Sugar has more calories than other types of food I.e. If I eat it im consuming more calories....

If you cut it out chances are you will want it even more and end up binging on it anyway. If you can't eat it in moderation while its in the house, only buy treats once every two days (or when you prefer) that are already single serve portions.
    Unfortunately I don' buy my own food,I go to college and am on a dining plan

That certainly makes it more challenging since you don't know what went into the foods. What kinds of options do you have? I would try to stick to things that are easier to guesstimate the calories. ..like avoid casserole choices such as shepherds pie or mac and cheese (or take a really small portion). Choose single items like a piece of grilled chicken...a salad...veggies...a baked rather than mashed potatoes if you can.

If all else fails search the database for restaurant foods that seem like a good fit and opt for the higher calorie choice.
    For breakfast I usually have grapefruit and toast with peanut butter or oatmeal, lunch and dinner is usually grilled chicken, vegetables, and salad. It's only dessert that I go downhill and end up eating cake or cheesecake
  • lgramberg15
    Options
    Maybe uncalled for but he's right, sugar doesn't magically have more calories than any other carb source.

Not what I meant, I'm saying that instead of eating healthy fats and vegetables in my calorie intake, eating sugar lessens the amount of food I can eat in the day. I would rather eat 1500 calories in vegetables and fruit than waste 300 on sugary food. Catch my drift now?
  • lgramberg15
    Options
    Oh I see. When you said you wanted advice what you actually meant is that you wanted a cuddle and some validation.

Too bad. You got the former.

Toodles.

Haha no, when I asked for advice I wanted things that would help me, not condescending remarks about my appearance and intelligence. Thanks for your input, have a good day :)

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Not what I meant, I'm saying that instead of eating healthy fats and vegetables in my calorie intake, eating sugar lessens the amount of food I can eat in the day. I would rather eat 1500 calories in vegetables and fruit than waste 300 on sugary food. Catch my drift now?

Instead of focusing on what you should remove from your diet, focus on what you should include in it. Have the bulk of your calories come from nutrient dense whole foods. Fill in the rest of your calories with whatever you like. Try not to overcomplicate this...
  • J72FIT
    Options
    Oh I see. When you said you wanted advice what you actually meant is that you wanted a cuddle and some validation.

Toodles.

Haha no, when I asked for advice I wanted things that would help me, not condescending remarks about my appearance and intelligence. Thanks for your input, have a good day :)

The delivery may not have been to your liking, but the information is spot on.
  • lgramberg15
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

Instead of focusing on what you should remove from your diet, focus on what you should include in it. Have the bulk of your calories come from nutrient dense whole foods. Fill in the rest of your calories with whatever you like. Try not to overcomplicate this...

Protein, good fats, and complex carbs right?
  • Mafuezee
    Mafuezee Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Honey.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Try having a dill pickle spear.... I know this sounds dumb... But it works to kill sugar cravings.
  • Nonna617
    Nonna617 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am using sugar free jello with sugar free cool whip - it's filling and satisfies the sweet tooth. I am not going to buy anything else for my sweet tooth. Yesterday I had blueberries with sweetener and a dash of vanilla. I heated them, mashed them up and put a tablespoon of cool whip on top. Ordinarily, I would not use processed foods, but I am at the point of desperation to lose weight, for my total health. I wish you the best.
  • sullyxo
    sullyxo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    When your talking about sugar? Do you include sugars from fruit? I always thought these were good sugars
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options

Then you should pick your words better. Misinformation is going to get corrected every single time here because of the simple fact people that have very little nutritional knowledge could take it verbatim, which in turn can create many unwarranted dietary alteration that could potentially be harmful. k
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    It seems like being honest is the same thing as being mean, so at the risk of sounding like a jerk, let's keep it simple:

1. You are not "addicted" to sugar. People like to throw around the word "addiction" where it doesn't belong, using it as an excuse for doing things they shouldn't be doing, like overeating. You like sugar, and I'd say a lot of us do. Regardless, you certainly do not have an addiction to sugar. Period.

2. As stated, sugar does not have more calories than other foods. Sugar is a carb, carbs contain 4 calories per gram. In other words, sugar contains the same amount of calories as any other carb or protein. Fats contain the most calories, at 9 per gram.

3. There's no reason to count sugar. As I said, sugar is a carb. If you're at or under your daily carb goal, there's absolutely no problem eating sugary foods. And if you choose not to count macros, then anything that fits into your daily calorie goal is fair game.

4. It's not that hard to work a sweet treat or dessert into your day. I'm at maintenance, but even when I was losing I had chocolate every single night for dessert. Every night. I plan to start another cut in a couple of weeks where my calorie goal will be lower than before, and I've still managed to pre-log dessert every night that fits into my macros. And I don't have to starve all day to have it, either.

5. Eating sweets will not stop you from losing weight. It has already been said, but weight loss is calories in vs. calories out. You can use those calories however you please.

Therefore, there's no reaosn to "cut" your craving for sugar. Satisfy that craving by eating something sweet. That doesn't have to be a whole bag of chocolate. Now, if your real question is, "what are some sweet foods I can eat that won't break the calorie bank," then here are a few low-calorie sweets that are pretty tasty and should easily fit into your calorie goal...

- Ice cream with no sugar added - 80-120 cals per serving
    - Sugar free popsicles (or fudgesicles if you're craving chocolate) - 10-50 cals
    - Fiber One products, like the brownie or chocolate chip cookie - 90 cals
    - Vita Tops products - 100ish cals per serving
    - Chocolate almond milk or reduced fat chocolate milk - 80-150 cals per cup
    - Quest bars - 170-220 cals
    - Fruit - calorie content varies
    - Peanut butter - 170-200 calories per serving

I usually go for chocolate - not low fat or sugar free "chocolate," but real milk chocolate. A Hershey bar is 210 calories and 5 pieces of the Hershey Bliss chocolates adds up to about 170ish calories.

If you absolutely can't fit it in and are having a sugar craving...I don't know, down a packet of Splenda.
  • dseign
    dseign Posts: 25
    Options
    I'm most definitely addicted to sugar..most of the time the sugar I eat in the day comes from fruit (some from added sugar like chocolate or vitamin water), but I find myself craving sweets every night and I need to learn how to cut the craving! Any ideas/advice?

Low carb. Do it for 3 days. You will kill your appetite.

• amyj514
    amyj514 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I kind of have different answers for this; I guess one is long term and one short term. Over the last several years I have cut sugar slowly out of things. At first it was forced, but now it's because things are too sweet (even though I'll down a pile of fudge without blinking). I went from using a couple of spoonfuls of sugar in my coffee to not liking sugar in my coffee at all. Because as I started to reduce the amount I used, I started to prefer it that way. I cut sugar in my baked goods more and more as well.

As far as short term, like night cravings (they get me too), I will try to satiate the craving slowly so that I don't cave and pig out. Try eating 3-5 raisins and chew on them slowly and see if that helps. Sometimes I'll include two choc chips to taste like choc covered raisins, or a pinch of oats, like a cookie, or a pinch of oats with a couple of choc chips, or nuts instead of the oats, etc. They're things that are easy to grab out of the cupboard and eat in tiny amounts. If it's really not helping, then I find something bigger or make a smoothie or some such. Grapes are good at curbing my sweet tooth. Hard candy works, especially mint. Also, brushing my teeth and making some peppermint tea helps me a lot! You could also try eating half the piece of cake and saving the other half for later. You might find that you don't need it?

Also, I try to have a snack planned for when they boys pass out and I am just about to go to bed and I remind myself that if I cave to my sweet tooth then I won't have 'room' (calorie count, sometimes stomach room, too) for my snack later that I have been thinking about all day.

Hope that helps; good luck!
  • sullyxo
    sullyxo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It seems like being honest is the same thing as being mean, so at the risk of sounding like a jerk, let's keep it simple:

1. You are not "addicted" to sugar. People like to throw around the word "addiction" where it doesn't belong, using it as an excuse for doing things they shouldn't be doing, like overeating. You like sugar, and I'd say a lot of us do. Regardless, you certainly do not have an addiction to sugar. Period.

2. As stated, sugar does not have more calories than other foods. Sugar is a carb, carbs contain 4 calories per gram. In other words, sugar contains the same amount of calories as any other carb or protein. Fats contain the most calories, at 9 per gram.

3. There's no reason to count sugar. As I said, sugar is a carb. If you're at or under your daily carb goal, there's absolutely no problem eating sugary foods. And if you choose not to count macros, then anything that fits into your daily calorie goal is fair game.

4. It's not that hard to work a sweet treat or dessert into your day. I'm at maintenance, but even when I was losing I had chocolate every single night for dessert. Every night. I plan to start another cut in a couple of weeks where my calorie goal will be lower than before, and I've still managed to pre-log dessert every night that fits into my macros. And I don't have to starve all day to have it, either.

5. Eating sweets will not stop you from losing weight. It has already been said, but weight loss is calories in vs. calories out. You can use those calories however you please.

Therefore, there's no reaosn to "cut" your craving for sugar. Satisfy that craving by eating something sweet. That doesn't have to be a whole bag of chocolate. Now, if your real question is, "what are some sweet foods I can eat that won't break the calorie bank," then here are a few low-calorie sweets that are pretty tasty and should easily fit into your calorie goal...

- Sugar free popsicles (or fudgesicles if you're craving chocolate) - 10-50 cals

I usually go for chocolate - not low fat or sugar free "chocolate," but real milk chocolate. A Hershey bar is 210 calories and 5 pieces of the Hershey Bliss chocolates adds up to about 170ish calories.

If you absolutely can't fit it in and are having a sugar craving...I don't know, down a packet of Splenda.

I just discovered this treat called "Chick Pea Blondies". They taste like peanut butter cookies with chocolate chips. Go check them out! You seem like the type to like a "healthier" treat.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

Protein, good fats, and complex carbs right?

I am not one to label food good or bad, so let's just say protein, carbs and fats. Track fiber instead of worrying about sugar and complex carbs. If you are hitting a descent fiber goal, the carbs should take care of themselves. For fiber, get a minimum of 10 grams per 1000 calories to a max of 20% carbs.
  • lgramberg15
    Options

It wasn't a fact about honesty or being mean, I just don't like being treated as if someone is better than me..same as most people.
    Maybe I should have worded my post better, I'm not going on crazy binges of sugar. And I'm not craving it every single moment of the day. I feel like at the end of the day wanting pieces of chocolate is preventing me from losing weight, and that's my issue. I'm more asking how I can strengthen my will power, which you pretty much answered.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options

Toodles.

IIRC, you are the one who brought your intelligence into it. You said you were "not stupid" when no such remark had been made at that point.