The most ridiculous diet tips you've ever heard?

Options

Replies

• OhReally42
    OhReally42 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    loratliff wrote: »
    Someone in a comment thread on Facebook who said they would lose weight from eating 5,000 calories of vegetables per day, but that they would gain from 2,000 calories of McDonald's... And then did not seem to grasp that a calorie is a calorie is a calorie.

Sounds like a friend I used to have. She was thin to begin with and she eats like a pig, Fast food at every meal in mass amounts, and she was mad when someone accused her of being bulemic.. Eating 2000 calories at every meal and having no physical activity does not allow you to lose 30 pounds in half a year.. I'm sorry.
  • OhReally42
    OhReally42 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    An indian friend said that when one person loses weight it goes on another person.

For the sake of karma, I like this as a possibility. Karma, please make mean people take my fat lol.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    "Everyone knows that whole calories in vs calories out theory is bs". This was in a weight loss group I was in on Facebook. She then went on to complain about how she did a juice cleanse, lost 10lbs in 10 days but now that the cleanse is over, she's not losing weight as quickly. That kind of mentality was popular in the group so I ended up leaving.
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    You have to eat breakfast and must always go to bed hungry.

Um, so not sleeping helps weight loss? Not for me. I like to sleep.
  • jillianash
    jillianash Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Ok this is going to sound SUPER RIDICULOUS but when i was a LOT younger like 10 years ago I heard something about Acai berries. Acai berries were just hitting the diet business claiming that they were the end all be all make you loose weight full of anti-oxidents blah blah blah. So I read an article on the internet, CLAIMING that if you put a acai berry in your mouth and then imagined you were eating your favorite food (ie chocolate) but ate cucumber instead it would taste like chocolate. Yes this article was claiming that this berry could make vegetables taste like chocolate. I'll never forget it because it is the craziest diet claim I've EVER heard.
  • vbenoit81
    Options
    Diet Pills
  • kayeiam
    kayeiam Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    200g of milk chocolate is only around 1100 calories so most people would probably lose weight. Though they would gain little nutritional benefit.

They would most likely have to see the Doctor for hemrroids due to all the hershey squirts... LOL
  • shaddowstorm
    shaddowstorm Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    "Just stop eating"
  • kayeiam
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    no eating after 6 o clock
    no eating after 8 o clock

I guess I would shrivel up and die of starvation if I followed these rules... I eat usally between 9pm to 8am (I work the graveyard shift) LOL
  • Reema_capricorn
    Reema_capricorn Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    I love my mother. I really do!! but she's so upset with my sudden weight gain, She once suggested that I should try vomiting. And one too many idiots tell me to starve myself so I'll get my former figure back
  • terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Prawns (shrimp) are the most "fattening" (hate that word) thing you can eat.
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    It's not really a diet but I saw on the news at the gym this am, that a woman with breast cancer is refusing chemo and is instead eating a lot bof fruit and veg. She has to juice it all because that's the only way she can eat that much. She believed that all the nutrients will detox her and heal her. She didn't want to disrupt her son's life as he is doing his GCSEs, and her in chemo would be too hard on him. One of the news people asked her if her getting sicker, or dying, wouldn't be more disruptive, and her reply was that by eating clean she was feeling great and didn't believe the cancer would get worse.

Yes, eating veggies is good for you but I am quite sure they don't have magical cancer killing powers.
  • kayeiam
    Options
    Green tea boosts your metabolism - couldn't find any scientific backing for this, though it does have many other great benefits.

I don't know what it's called but my friends are on a diet that seems really restrictive at least for me. All kinds of rules about what they can't eat or have to eat and when. I like cico personally but they're always doing these fad diets or trying appetite suppressants but the weight always comes back. I've tried to show them mfp but they're not really interested because "it seems like a lot of work."

Losing weight is a lot of work. Hardest thing I have done in my life !!
  • RegentPrimrose
    Options
    I have heard a nutritionist actually recommending fruit juice. The problem with fruit juice is that it usually has heaps of added sugar and sometimes preservatives and artificial flavours. It also requires large quantities of fruit to make just one glass of juice. In addition, it is liquid (without any of the solid part of the fruit) which means it is absorbed too quickly by the body, spiking blood sugar levels instantly and converts to fat faster.

If you want fruit, just have a raw, unprocessed, solid piece of fruit. It is tasty and good for you.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    natural sugar is better than added sugar …..BS sugar = sugar
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Those atkins commercials with Sharon Osbourne make me want to smack someone in the head. "You mean I can eat pizza and yogurt and bread and lose weight??" 'With atkins pizza, now you can!'

I can eat pizza and ice cream and bread and yogurt and lose weight without spending $7 on one tiny atkins frozen pizza. ugh.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Anything that comes out of the mouth of Dr. Oz....
    x2
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Back when I was a pretty young kid, I saw something in a woman's magazine about "The Stewardess Diet," which basically consisted of black coffee and cigarettes for three days. It wasn't until the last year or two that I realized that at that time, flight attendants had mandatory weigh ins, and were fired if they went over a size deemed "unsightly" (they also faced mantatory retirement at something like 30, I believe)...so those poor women probably DID starve and dehydrate themselves regularly.
  • sssgilber
    sssgilber Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    There's an Agatha Christie story with a Swiss weight loss clinic that kept its patients sedated for several weeks, providing minimal sustenance through a drip. Go to sleep heavy; wake up skinny.