WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2015

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,632 Member
    Options
    damnit = those are my shoes damnit! lolol., love LOVE saying damnit damnit! anyway, those are really called vibrams. they are minimalist shoes, kinda like running barefoot. no support at all. it's a process to get used to running in them. I started using them to build up my calves for an 80 mile hilly bike ride that I was training for and I heard about them., I liked them so much that I started running in them too and have never gone back to tennis shoes. I ran my 1/2 and full marathon in them without any problems.

exermom - I still workout 7 days a week, I just lowered my caloric intake and that seemed to do the trick to loose more lbs. I have been at the goal weight for awhile. I will probably want to loose maybe 2 more. I was eating like 1700-1800 cal. I lowered it to like 1430 cal and left my exercise regimen alone.
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

Good Morning, ladies.

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday, dear Joyce, Happy Birthday to you. 
    Sorry, I realize I was a little off key. Joyce, you are such a “lady”. When you said there was another “winter event” tomorrow night, I was thinking that I’d probably say, “There is another F#*!%g snow storm tomorrow!” I hope you have a wonderful day.

Selena, I don’t know why, but I liked your description: “a sedentary mom whose inclination is to snack and nap. ” I am not normally as much of a snacker but rather “lazy” and could take a nap almost any time the occasion arises. It’s great that your little one is helping keep you young and healthy.

Karen, Welcome. It sounds like you are off to a great start. We are happy to have you and are here for support.

Fancy, your new routine sounds so interesting. I can’t believe you add that much weight each time you do it? First of all, it all sounds really Heavy to me, but I’d think your body needed time to get used to one weight before moving up. Hurry and get all your equipment so we can hear how it’s going. Just kidding, but wishing you the best results!!

Kim, congrats on the dishwasher. I think I’d give up many things in my house before I’d go without a dishwasher. I don’t mind doing dishes so much, but actually got my first one, at the insistence of my DMIL, because of eczema. Wearing rubber gloves is almost as bad for it as all the soap and water. You enjoy your new toy!

Sylvia, I am so sorry to hear about the diagnosis. I too am surprised they didn’t give any kind of diet guidelines. You take care of yourself. *Huggs*

Bkrimpet, I think you can rest assured that you have many, many of us with you on wishing this winter to end. I live in SC and have had no snow, but it’s been a cold wet winter that I am ready to see end. My heart just goes out to all of you with all the snow.

Welcome to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I’m back to sanity this morning. Have to get busy to get in my exercising, then going to attorney to finally get our Wills, POA, etc. It was slowed down by my cruise and not getting all the info to them.

Wishing all of us a very Happy and Healthy day. Remember that much of it comes from our attitudes. Try to smile through it all. I love you ladies.

My word #1 is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.

#2 is opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • pipcd34
    Options
    oh yeah... the shoes did build up my calves aka moo's too :0)
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Grandmaille- maybe the drop shippers will drop ship into your kitchen! Can't hurt to ask and smile. ;)

Sylvia- Feel better soon

Lillian - Hope you get rid of that cold quickly

Selena - Glad to hear everything turned out all right.

Jolene - Hope all is well with your daughter.

DeeDee - Loved the geese story... they can be nasty critters when they want to.

Meg - Glad to hear you made your goals yesterday. Hope today goes as well for you.

Pip - I shiver when I look at your foot gloves... I can't stand anything between my toes. Are you sure they're comfortable? :)

SuePedB - Thanks for the reminder to write down all my accomplishments and the suggestion to use MFP for it.

Rene - The scale has been giving me fits too.

Here's my saga: I started MFP and was weighing in on an old scale. I saw digital scales on sale and bought one. There's at least a 7 - 8 lb difference between them of course the old one reports a lower number! According to the new scale I've been fluctuating between 1 and 2 lbs for the last month never ending up with a net loss. I wonder if I can return it on warranty. :)

Taking note of the advice here I started recording my measurements and lo and behold I'm seeing some progress.

Bust - down 2"
    Waist - down 2"
    Abdomen - down 1.75
    Hips - down 1.5
    Thighs - down .25 each

Celebrating this accomplishment!

Off to the grocery store...it's ten percent Tuesday.

Thought for the day: One of the things I learned the hard way was that it doesn't pay to get discouraged. Keeping busy and making optimism a way of life can restore your faith in yourself. - Lucille Ball

Have a great day everyone...
    Carey in Edmonton
  • MA_B
    MA_B Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Happy 03/03 ladies!

Yesterday I got an email from fitbit to inform me that I had reached my Cloud badge! Apparently, since I started using my fitbit (quite a while ago, now) I have achieved 8000 floors! Given that most of my time is spent on one level it must be all the walks over the Chase I do with the dogs - that can be 15 minimum for each walk. I am well chuffed! I gave up trying to do 10 floors a day and just took what came, 0 on some days and 30+ on others (I don't really like hilly walks and prefer canals or disused railway tracks which don't count too many floors!) but when I do go to the Chase it makes up for it!

I wonder how long I'll take to do the next 1000!!!

MA in UK
  • susan32958
    susan32958 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone,
    I am trying to get back on board with weight loss. I have one lung, cancer diagnosis in 2007, and I think I tried to eat my way to health. I lost fifty pounds and I've put back on 30 of that. So, I started walking last night, watching what I am eating. Got up and did 30 minutes on treadmill this morning! So looking for all the motivation I can get!

Sue- Maryland :)
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,075 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,

Sylvia prayers. So sorry you have to go thorough this again and so soon.

Joyce Happy Birthday! :flowerforyou:

Deedee geese can be a real problem around here too. They make such a mess.

We are getting some snow today about four inches total. Like Mary says we actually need it here for the farmers. We had the kind of snow the north east is having last year, so I feel for you. So often I ended up shoveling twice. Once to get it off the driveway and then moving the snow up our sidewalk so there was somewhere to put the snow. ICK.

I agree being sick is not the way to lose weight. At least today I do not feel like a truck hit me. I am trying to take it easy and drinking plenty of fluids.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Just a quick pop in to say good luck to Sylvia!! More surgery sucks!
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    (((Sylvia))) So glad your DH made you go to the ER. Hope you will heal quickly.

I am sitting in front of the computer eating a bowl of my vegetable soup with meat. I don't think I eat as much this way because I always have to stop to type or read. LOL

Carol ~ Marietta, GA
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday ! ! !

Brutal roads today from the snow and freezing rain. My drive time was doubled. Lots of canceled appointments because of the roads, so I can get my paperwork done before vacation starts tomorrow.

Barry Manilow was enjoyable last night. Since we are a very musical family, we could tell he had been sick, but it was also obvious that he gave 100% to his show. He stayed on stage for almost 90 minutes, singing and a little dancing. Definitely worth a minimal nights' sleep.

The food situation, on the other hand, was terrible. Only about 1/2 of the usual food places were open, so Dad decided on chicken finger basket. I chose the grilled chicken sandwich and tossed 1/2 the bun in the garbage right away. Well, it had no flavor, almost like it had been boiled in plain water, they only gave me a tiny sliver of tomato, 2 circles of onion, and 1 wimpy piece of lettuce. I tried to season it a little with brown mustard, but it didn't help, so I tossed 3/4 in the garbage, and treated myself to a scoop of peanut butter ice cream. I logged extra calories (the entire sandwich and a full cup of ice cream even though it only looked like about 1/2 a cup), so the scale was nice to me this morning.

This summer I am taking my youngest sister to Country USA in Sheboygan Wisconsin. She works for the "parent" company of where I work, and wants to enjoy her first-ever earned vacation. Neither of us enjoys camping, so we will drive about 12 miles each day to stay in a Hotel. Since it will be June, we will need plenty of sunscreen, bug spray, umbrellas (she is a natural redhead), lawn chairs, and a cooler for ice and beverages. The drawing I won for these tickets includes entry into the VIP contest, so hopefully I win the upgrade, too. This will be the first time ever that we spent 5 straight days alone together.

Sylvia (and everyone else who is ill now) {{{{{{HUGS}}}}}} ! ! !

Congrats to everyone having a great day :D

Terri in Milwaukee
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,864 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies: Weather here today not as bad as expected. We were supposed to get 2-4 inches of snow with 40 mph winds. Got some snow but wind not as bad as predicted. I am glad for that but still planning a day in, plenty to do in the house.

I think it really is going to be spring soon. Went out yesterday to see my horse and she is beginning to shed her winter coat. Yeah!!

Allison - Sorry you fell, please take care.

Joyce - Happy birthday!!

Yanniejannie - could you tell what kind of snake it was from the skin? I don't mind snakes too much in the open but I sure wouldn't want to come across one unexpectedly.

DeeDee - Can just see you and Noel chasing the geese. Messy critters, those birds.

Kim - Gorgeous quilt!! Nice way to save and repurpose old pieces.

Sylvia - Yikes!! You were just doing so well on your recovery. Please take care.

Meg - We saw a semi-staged production of Wagner's Flying Dutchman.

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in SD
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Thanks so much for all your support! I slept fitfully (was still kind of scared) and am feeling stiff today, but the most frustrating thing is that an ankle injury that was almost “better” (after three months of being careful) is now back where it was before. I saw the GP today. Will decide about pressing charges. That woman really is a wack job. Right before she shoved me off my bike she got in an argument with someone on a horse. Again, no reason. The police apparently gave her a good talking-to (I heard later).

DeeDee: my Border Collie would have loved to have helped you with your geese! :smiley:

Lesley: still thinking of you and Mildred. Will you report on your grave search? Just interested.

Sylvia: are you OK? Later: so glad you went to the hospital! Please keep taking care of yourself. So sorry you have to deal with this again.

Meg: so glad to see you’re feeling better.

Carol: you too! You’re not self-centered, IMO. :flowerforyou:

Michele: I wish I had your energy (yet again!). :wink:

Selena: what a horrible experience; so glad that little girl is OK.

Joyce: Happy birthday! I hope you have a great meal, wherever it is.

Heather: I am interested in the Skechers as well. I may try putting a commercial orthotic in there for more support. The shoes are very comfy.

Allison: ((hugs))

Hope we all have a good day.

Cynthia :flowerforyou:

54053224.png
  • pipcd34
    Options
    SSC1958 wrote: »
    Grandmaille- maybe the drop shippers will drop ship into your kitchen! Can't hurt to ask and smile. ;)

Pip - I shiver when I look at your foot gloves... I can't stand anything between my toes. Are you sure they're comfortable? :)

Celebrating this accomplishment!

Off to the grocery store...it's ten percent Tuesday.

Thought for the day: One of the things I learned the hard way was that it doesn't pay to get discouraged. Keeping busy and making optimism a way of life can restore your faith in yourself. - Lucille Ball

Have a great day everyone...
    Carey in Edmonton

they are VERY comfortable, I actually shiver at the thought of wearing tennis shoes again... I just couldn't do it!
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone
    I am 5 pages behind but wanted to check in for March and post my goals.

February Goals Report
    Take blood pressure every day (missed only 3 days)
    Log every bite and swallow (missed those same 3 days)
    Call, write, email at least 2 friends/family per week 100% done
    “Let go and let God” (I’m improving on this!)

March Goals
    Take blood pressure and 2 hour blood sugar every day
    Log every bite and swallow
    Email, Facebook message, or call three teacher friends each week to encourage them through this challenging time of year
    Walk a minimum of 5,000 steps each day
    “Let go and let God”

These are comments I wanted to make for the end of February:
    Pip - your sharing about your rape touched my heart. I cannot imagine that pain. You are a brave survivor.

Selena, Pam and Joyce - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Carey - I used to do Tai Chi in the summer when I was teaching. I never learned the moves but I loved it!

Hugs to all of you who are hurting or facing challenges. WTGs for your victories, ladies! I work today so hopefully I will at least get caught up on reading your posts by tomorrow.

TNToni
    DON'T LET A FALTER BECOME A FAILURE!
  • SuzyH
    SuzyH Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    So many of you have made great, great comments and I wish you all the best! I do get to the gym 6 days a week (early mornings) and love it. My issues are purely eating (and eating, and eating)! As I am always short on time, and although I'd love to chat more with all of you, I don't have time! Anyways,

Margaretturk – love your saying “Just because I see the hook does not mean I have to bite.” !!

Terri_mom – I’m near Milwaukee too, so we’re getting the same “slop” today!! Can't wait for warmer weather, sunny skies, and COLOR!

CynthiaT60 – Glad to hear you’re okay! Living in Wisconsin makes it difficult to use my bike to commute, but I do manage to do it about 6-7 months a year. There are a lot of crazies out there!

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    CynthiaT60 wrote: »
    Good morning everyone!

Thanks so much for all your support! I slept fitfully (was still kind of scared) and am feeling stiff today, but the most frustrating thing is that an ankle injury that was almost “better” (after three months of being careful) is now back where it was before. I saw the GP today. Will decide about pressing charges. That woman really is a wack job. Right before she shoved me off my bike she got in an argument with someone on a horse. Again, no reason. The police apparently gave her a good talking-to (I heard later).

54053224.png

Somehow "a good talking to" doesn't seem like enough. The woman should have been charged with assault. I hope you are doing better and won't encounter anyone like her again. I also hope you'll press charges.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,767 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if the woman who pushed Cynthia has a history with the police ... mental illness perhaps? Not that it makes it right that she just got a scolding.

Sylvia ... so very sorry that you're dealing with health issues again! Will be praying for you.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    as a person who rides everyday, I have had my share of experiences. you will get people yelling at you to GET OFF THE ROAD (I ride on the road, not on the sidewalk) not very often now but it has happened. there will be people that see me coming up behind them when they are parked and they will suddenly yell so it will scare me (or try to) so they can make me crash. the last time, I was riding and some broad yelled at the top of her lungs as she was in the back seat with the window rolled down as she passed me trying to scare me off the road. I was trying to pump those pedals as fast as I could to meet her at the stop sign so I could get off my bike and beat the living s#$%t out of her, I was soo pissed! lucky for her, I wasn't able to get to her in time.
    my husband even got a soda thrown at him while he was riding.. people can be mean for sure.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    happy tues.Could use prayers for DIL.Dr wants to induce baby if she doesn`t have baby by fri,they want to induce.
    thanks
    hugs
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,149 Member
    Options
    About 42 years ago in Minneapolis Minnesota somebody was coming up behind people riding bikes on Minnehaha Parkway fan flashing their butt with a knife. I remember is happening a couple of time and that was very scary because I rode my bike on the Parkway almost daily. I'm not sure if they ever caught the guys.

Mary from Minnesota