How much have you lost, and how (an informal poll)?

Options
TheVirgoddess
TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm looking for something a little more specific than "eating at a deficit" - what approach you took (clean eating, IIFYM, flexible eating, portion control, low carb, paleo, etc) to get to your deficit. I'm doing this because I'm curious. :)

So I'll start:

Weight lost: 71.4 pounds
Method: IIFYM/Flexible eating

I will post the results in a few days, if anyone is interested in the outcome.

Thanks!

Replies

• jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    weight lost 50lb
    method- started with just healthier choices and cutting out juices and pop
    -i tried paleo, clean eating, atkins
    -realized moderation was key. though my diet has significantly gotten 'healthier' i now allow myself a treat a day and the weekly meal out. cant live life in a bubble
  • FatOldManMN
    FatOldManMN Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    55 lbs: Diet (1/2 portions) and exercise...mostly cardio
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    ~31lbs
    Moderation/iifym/flexible dieting/whatever you want to call it while in a calorie deficit.

A survey would probably be easier if you're wanting to tally results in numbers, btw.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Weight Lost: 23 Lbs.
    Method: cutting calories, eating baked chicken for dinner everyday, doing cardio and using 12lb weights, eating low calories snacks, walking back and forth while waiting for my train (i have to wait 20 minutes everyday)weighing my food and accurately logging it, drinking absolutely nothing but green tea and water.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Weight lost: 25 pounds
    Method: EM2WL (Eat More to Weigh Less)--TDEE -10 or 15%, macro %: 40C/30F/30P
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Lost ~38lbs.
    Method: Calorie counting/reducing and exercise.

Do cardio/weights 3-5x/week. Varying intensity and regimen.
  • strwberri79
    strwberri79 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Weight lost: 37 pounds
    Method: IIFYM/Flexible eating.

I lost 60 lbs 2 years ago on slim4life, then had another kid and gained a bunch of it back! Slim4life was quicker, but this fits my life so much better right now. If I feel like I'm getting stuck I'll use S4L as a boost for a few days and then I go back.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Weight Lost: 23 pounds (so far)
    Method: Flexible ovo-lacto vegetarianism (not done to diet, just how I eat) while in a calorie deficit.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Weight lost: 55 pounds
    Method: calorie counting and 20-30 minutes of exercise (mostly cardio or circuit training DVDs) at first. Transitioned to watching macros + exercise.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    currently at 98lbs down

Walking, drinking plenty of water, cutting out second helpings
  • snoringcat
    snoringcat Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Weight lost 38lbs. And, sorry you don't want to hear this, but all I did was eat at a deficit. No 'fad' diets.

I ate less & moved more (started running) - that's all.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Weight lost: 58.9 pounds
    Method: I guess flexible eating, making different choices without giving up most of what I ate before and remaining in a calorie deficit. The only thing I've cut out completely is full-sugar soda. Walking more and lifting weights.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Weight lost: 30 lbs since October.
    Method: eating at a deficit (eating less moving more) and keto. Deficit for weight-loss.. keto for insulin regulation. It was hard for me to remain in a deficit while my blood glucose levels were always dropping. I had to eat in order to correct it. Also, excess insulin inhibits fat loss and threw off my other hormones such as cortisol.

Eta..technically I've lost 80lbs since giving birth almost four years ago..but the first 50 was from baby/water weight (I was really swollen and went from 235 to 190 in two weeks) and I was focusing more on baby and figuring out how to regulate my blood glucose with diet than actually losing any weight.
  • mmd575
    mmd575 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Weight lost: 89 lbs
    Method: Low Sugar and Portion Control (Diabetic Diet)
    -Eat only certain amounts of carbs/sugar in my diet so that my glucose levels don't rise as a result I've lost weight.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    snoringcat wrote: »
    Weight lost 38lbs. And, sorry you don't want to hear this, but all I did was eat at a deficit. No 'fad' diets.

I ate less & moved more (started running) - that's all.

Obviously we've all lost weight because we've eaten at a deficit. I just wanted more details. If you're eating the same stuff you were before, just less of it, I'd consider the flexible eating. None of the things I listed are fads - they are just different ways to get into a deficit, which is what I'm interested in. :)
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    weight loss 29 lbs so far
    My diet is basically based on an old weight watchers program 3 - 5 fruits and veggies per day, 2 starches per day and 6 - 8 oz of protein a day.
    The biggest thing for me is I eat what I want and track it every day. I allow myself treats and don't beat myself up if I'm over my calories for the day but I try to make better choices the next day.
    also very important - no soda not even diet and drink 6 - 8 glasses of water every day
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Lost about 26kg since September 2012. Was 100kg when I started.

Two main phases:

Start to June 2013 around 20kg using fairly modest deficit only. Strict tracking.

Then used MFP on and off for a year or so as needed. Stayed roughly between 78-82kg, trained hard for various races from 5km up to my first marathon.

September 2014 to date lost around 8kg using modest deficit plus lower carb ( 35% ) and tracking sugar more carefully. Allowing myself 1-2 days off from MFP per week. Lots of exercise including around 40km running a week. I believe as you get closer to normal weight the macros are far more important.
  • LiveForTheWilderness
    LiveForTheWilderness Posts: 57 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    170 pounds since January 2013. Been using MFP the whole way.

I lost the initial 70 through pure calorie restriction and cutting back intake of processed foods.

I lost my most recent 100 pounds in the past 11 months doing the ketogenic diet, cardio (biking and 5k running), and weight lifting (ICF 5X5). I expect to lose my last 45 using this same lifestyle and plan to maintain the lifestyle once I reach my goal weight and during future bulks/cuts.
  • paulag105
    paulag105 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Weight Loss: 25lbs

Method: Tracking calories/ reducing to recommended levels and joined a team sport as well for extra motivation and to make working out more fun.

Also, lost about 10 lbs of the 25 lbs during college due to an intense schedule that made it difficult to find time in my day to stop and eat anything more than a granola bar or grab a coffee between classes or work during the week. I do not recommend the too busy to eat approach.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Almost 140 lb total.

I've lost 95 of that by using MFP for 2 years and not going over my daily calories hardly at all (NEVER for the first 9 months, and maybe 2-3 days a month I go over now) and striving to hit my macros. Primarily, I stay under my suggest amounts each day for sodium & sugar. I'm not anti- anything but find that has worked well for me.

I am all about moderation & actually eat out several times every week but I'm also quick to choose something like a square of chocolate or scoop of ice cream and then almost never touch things I consider "wasted" (satisfaction wise) calories like creamer in my coffee, regular soda, chips, crackers, pretzels, dinner rolls, etc. I'm not a low carb eater though.