I Do Not Want to be Thin

Options

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Ugh. This is why I refrain from ever posting anything here. Make 1 mistake and everybody jumps you like a pack of wolves. So much negativity. I was in no way saying people shouldn't be thin and lean. I'm just sharing that that isn't my personal goal and it doesn't have to be everybody's goal. Looking for support and most of what I see here is negative backlash. Thank you to those who liked my post and may have found a bit of motivation.

We aren't against your goal of just getting healthier. That's a great goal! You absolutely do not have to try to be "thin" or "skinny" or look like a fitness model.

We had a problem with you putting other goals down. You also made it seem like having a great body is beyond reach for the average person, when it isn't.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Ugh. This is why I refrain from ever posting anything here. Make 1 mistake and everybody jumps you like a pack of wolves. So much negativity. I was in no way saying people shouldn't be thin and lean. I'm just sharing that that isn't my personal goal and it doesn't have to be everybody's goal. Looking for support and most of what I see here is negative backlash. Thank you to those who liked my post and may have found a bit of motivation.

You posted a topic on a sensitive topic that sparked a pretty interesting discussion. Why don't you try having a conversation with those who see this post differently than you do instead of throwing up your hands, taking your toys, and going home?

"Pack of wolves"? Really? This has to be one of the tamest threads on this sort of thing that I've ever seen here.

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

You posted a topic on a sensitive topic that sparked a pretty interesting discussion. Why don't you try having a conversation with those who see this post differently than you do instead of throwing up your hands, taking your toys, and going home?

"Pack of wolves"? Really? This has to be one of the tamest threads on this sort of thing that I've ever seen here.

Very true. Most of the comments were hardly attacking or rude. This was very tame.
  • cwilson72180
    cwilson72180 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you too! I don't want to be too skinny or too big but I want to find my perfect size. I want to be at a weight where my back won't hurt so much.
  • Mech9
    Mech9 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    There's this dichotomy where people tell you to "lose weight for yourself" but they criticize your motivations for not being the "right" ones.
  • HotPotato22
    Options
    My goal is to be thin and healthy. Nothing to do with media, I feel more attractive when I am thin. Personal preference and nothing is wrong with it.
  • aubrey_11_baker
    aubrey_11_baker Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    So, I'm not trying to diss on anybody else's goals. But seriously, do what you want for yourself and not to appease others or fit the "ideal" set forth by media outlets. I've seen it all to often with people I know around my weight that they set huge goals and when they don't reach them, they give up which is the worst thing you can do. I guess my main point is what I've said several times, I don't want to be thin, and it's ok if others feel that way too. I think it's harder for women particularly to admit that their goal isn't to be thin.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I wanted to be lean and healthy. Now I want to stay lean and HEALTHY.

I'm probably considered thin. I have no problem with that either.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Ridley2011 wrote: »
    One more thought. For some people healthy does equate to thin. As a breast cancer survivor, my goal of being at a normal BMI is because fat cells produce estrogen and my cancer was sensitive to estrogen. There are some studies suggesting that a lower BMI supports longer survival times. Otherwise I'm healthy - on no drugs except for the ones associated with cancer, and I can and do walk for miles each week. So perhaps this Is more of an individual determination, and have others have said, does not need to be an either or decision.

GREAT point
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    What's wrong with wanting to be thin, healthy AND love yourself? None of those things are mutually exclusive.
    Indeed!
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily want to be thin. 1- I love my curves, and 2- I've never been thin, even as a child. So I suppose the idea of thinness is unknown to me :-)

I want to be healthy. Healthy will mean thinner. I want to lose right around 100lb, because that's what I put on after having kids, and 100 pounds lighter felt like an awesome shape and weight for me. I was healthier. But if that goal changes to 150 pounds? or 80? So be it, as long as the end result is a healthier me.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I have been thin. The first 30 years of my life I was skinny. I have been fat. For 20 years I was around 268 pounds. I like myself better thin. Does that make me shallow? Maybe. I don't care. My health is important to me, but so is feeling good about how I look.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    You know, if you had found a way to say "it's okay to strive for a different body style than the ones you most typically see in the media," nobody would've had an issue with your post. We had a problem with the fact that you equated being "thin" with spending an unhealthy and unreasonable amount of time at the gym each day. Some of the women earlier in the thread who criticized your post, like usmcmp and Sarauk2sf, are gorgeous and have very different body styles than those you typically see in the media. I'd bet most of the women commenting here would've been supportive of your topic if you hadn't taken a potshot at thin women.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I don't see what's wrong with wanting to be thin. When I'm thin, my clothes fit me well, and it's easier to find clothes that fit. I don't get holes in my pants from my thighs rubbing together. The thinner I am, the faster I can run. I like how I look when I'm thin. I don't get as hot in the summer when I have less fat on my body. It's much easier to paint my toenails when I'm thin.

I look great as a size 4 or even a size 2, and I don't need to spend hours in the gym every day to achieve or maintain that size. If I did want to spend that much time in the gym, I would find time - wake up early, go to bed late, cut something else out of my day. There is always time.

You asked in your original post why people who want to be thin have that goal, and there are my reasons. Has nothing to do with people's expectations of me. If you just want to be healthy, and don't care about being thin, that's fine, but there's nothing wrong with wanting to be thin. There are plenty of legitimate reasons for it.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    So, I'm not trying to diss on anybody else's goals. But seriously, do what you want for yourself and not to appease others or fit the "ideal" set forth by media outlets. I've seen it all to often with people I know around my weight that they set huge goals and when they don't reach them, they give up which is the worst thing you can do. I guess my main point is what I've said several times, I don't want to be thin, and it's ok if others feel that way too. I think it's harder for women particularly to admit that their goal isn't to be thin.

Not for you apparently, since you rushed to share that on the public forums in a judgy sounding post. Should you should get a pat on the back or something? Sometimes I wish people would lurk a little more before posting. It would save them a lot of grief, knowhatimean?
  • HotPotato22
    Options
    I want to be thin for the sausage ;);)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Your logic is a big ole fail.

"I'm not trying to diss on anybody else's goals" - but you are

'But seriously, do what you want for yourself and not to appease others or fit the "ideal" set forth by media outlets.' - assumptions again as to what people are motivated by

"They set huge goals and when they don't reach them, they give up which is the worst thing you can do" - that has nothing to do with the rest of what you posted

Tip: mind your own business and stop making glaring assumptions, condescending posts and judgemental assertions.

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    What is your definition of thin?

I am relatively lean. Being lean has nothing to do with whether I love myself or whether I a trying to conform to any stereotype. In fact, I do not conform to the stereotype of my demographic and I am perfectly good with that.

OP, your post makes a lot of rather ignorant assumptions and is condescending and, basically, pretty terrible. People can have preferences regarding aesthetics and, shocking, I know, they can be different to others, as can motivations and reasons as to why they doe something. Stop trying to put everyone in your box. I would not like being in it at all. My athletic performance would be negatively impacted, potentially my health and well being, and I would have aesthetics that I would be less happy with if I were to settle for being rather overweight (and no, preference for a certain BF% =/= hating yourself if not at that BF%).

I'm not condemning thin people in any way, shape, or form. I'm just saying what's on my mind. God the internet is a harsh place.

No, but you are apparently condemning people (or at least patronizing them) for wanting to be thin.

And yes, the internet can be harsh, and it usually is to people who make narrow minded posts like your OP.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Seriously? I thought that what a lot of people posted was actually pretty motivational. Just because they disagree doesn't mean they are "negative". If anything, I found your post a bit on the negative nancy side of things.
This discussion has been closed.