WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2015

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sylvia: I am happy to hear from you! I hope each hour is better than the previous one and that you feel much better soon. :flowerforyou:
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Sassy, I love that expression "choose your hard." It was an aha moment the first time I heard it.

Sylvia, thanks for checking in. Please take care.

Yanniejannie, one of my Facebook friends went to Sweetbriar. She was majorly bummed with the news of its closing.

Cynthia, I am still trying to wrap my head around what happened to you. I don't understand what in the world would posess someone to behave that way.

Everybody else, no more time to comment. Have a great day!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,622 Member
    Options
    exermom - here's the link that I got = it's from our county but don't see why it wouldn't be valid for any county anywhere:
    - https://www.piercetripscalendar.com/login?url=/trips/add
    -
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,295 Member
    Options
    Hello Sylvia! ! ! ! ! Been worrying. :love:
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Gilly139 wrote: »
    Good morning all, it is a lovely sunny day, bit chilly but only to be expected in March!

Like several other posters on here, I love reading all the news but am unable to keep up with the replies. Just love the flowers from Margaret and the light that Lestan has put on Mildreds grave.
    Am so glad that I have not got to help Michele's daughter with moving - all those stairs frighten the life out of me!!!
    So pleased to hear that Katla found her car key. What an expense if lost.

I am feeling very happy and pleased with myself as after a gap of about 10 years I have finally got back into swimming. I went on monday morning and managed 12 lengths of the pool. On way out I asked the receptionist how many lengths to swim a mile and she told me it would be 64.
    So last night I went again and managed to do 32!!!!!!! Smile all over face. Just got to keep it up now.

Hope you all have a lovely day, so glad you have got the snow and we have not seen any :-)

Gilly - Suffolk, UK

Yeayyyyyyyyyyyy for those laps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Sylvia - I usually skim thru all the posts which is y I rarely respond to everyones comments. just now realized that you're in the hospital. take care of yourself, work on keeping that tube out of you r nose.. :#

looks like it's supposed to be warmer by the time I get off of work. I just might ride home again... we'll see
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,756 Member
    Options
    well Ol Allie is in the throws of cleaning out cabinets and getting rid of junk, and rearranging, and listening to music...
    there is a radio station here in Ct, that is an eccuminical station, but it can be streamed on computer.. they play a variety of music commerial free , they play anything from Perry Como, to the madonna.. it is WJMJ 88.9 ,look up at WJMJ.org, right now the Carpenters are playing and it was just Tony Bennett and James Taylor. :D
  • pipcd34
    edited March 2015
    Options
    grandmalie - what? no iggy? no timbaland? no missy? no JayZ???? no greyhound??? no trashcan????
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Sylvia: It’s great to hear from you. Hope you get well quickly!

Glad you’re enjoying the thought for the day BK.

Cynthia, Leslie, Lillian, Selena: I’m an amateur genealogist as well. I’ve been working on my family history for a number of years and I have relatives buried in a mental institution as well in Weyburn, Saskatchewan. A number of years ago on a trip to Traynor, SK, I found the house my great grandfather had built made of stone. It’s still standing… wish I could win the lottery so that I could buy and restore it.

I got my physiotherapy exercise done yesterday - yay!

Thought for the day - “The miracle is this: the more we share the more we have. “ - Leonard Nimoy

Carey in Edmonton

Picture of the house
    fzgwoxg9wpy8.jpg

• mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Thank you Ladies for the warm welcome!!

Michele- Hope your daughter has a great time in Boston. I visited on a trip when I was in college (I grew up in NJ) and fell in love with the area. I decided this is where I wanted to live "when I grew up" (still waiting for that to happen!)
    Carol- I also suffered with migranes for many, many years so I can relate. They run in my family. Fortunately one day they just stopped and I haven't had 1 in about 5 years. I hope the same thing happens to you.
    Sylvia- I was so distressed to learn of your health setback. I sincerely hope you are better soon.
    Abby- Sending you positive thoughts to help you get thru your son's illness. I can't imagine what you are going through.

OK, I can't hold it in any longer, I just have to let it out...I lost a pound this week!! It may not seem like alot but I am used to seeing fractions of a pound lost in a week (I have been averaging betweek 1/2-3/4 lb. loss/week since the begining of the year). I am so happy. I thought I felt a bit of hip bone last night.

Today is the first day since the first blizzard on 1/26 that I was able to bring my rescue dog Jake (see profile picture) to work. He has been coming to work with me since I got him almost 6 years ago but it has been unsafe to walk him because of all the snow. We just got back from our walk downtown and we are both very happy in spite of the cold temperatues and the wind whipping off the ocean.

Time to get back to work.

Everyone have a great day...only 15 more days until spring here in the Northern Hemisphere.

Chris in cold but not currently snowing MA
  • listeo
    listeo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello all! This is my first post here. I am Liz from Fairfax, VA. If it were not for our snow day (Metro DC is closed) I would have not found you.

In January I figured out I had a frozen shoulder and my right hip,knee and ankle killed me.

In February I decided to do something about it. A dear friend tuned me into My Fitness Pal and she encouraged me to join a gym. I have been good at entering my food and have been hitting the gym. I have made an effort to take dairy, refine sugars and grains and processed food out of my diet. Also I have been eating my fermented food: Kimchi my favorite, Kifir and sauerkraut.

Goals for March:
    1) To get to know some of you. It is a bit overwhelming all these post
    2) Journal my food
    3) Get exercise everyday: Monday and Wed- water aerobics, Tues and Thursday-Elliptical and weights, Friday- treadmill 3 miles and Saturday and Sunday- hike/walk outdoors

Looking forward in getting to know you all,

Liz

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,756 Member
    Options
    welcome Chris, and Liz,you will find we are just big huge group of wonderful friends.that love each other dearly and boost each other in a common bond..
    just finished purging my cabinets in the kitchen, got rid of alot of junk ,accumulation of stuff from 18 yrs.. boy oh boy
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,147 Member
    Options
    Chris in MA - yay! I am so happy to hear about your 1 pound lost! keep up the good work.

Liz from Fairfax VA - welcome! Just join in whenever you can. It seems as though you have some really good exercise plans and I wish you much success.

Hello everyone my time for swimming had to be made a little earlier today, so, I just got back and will do my Kenpo X kickboxing, and Zumba activate this afternoon. I did already enjoy my bear Creek Carmel waffle cone. that is three hundred and seventy calories but well worth it. I counted toward my twelve hundred and sixty calorie allotment for the day and it does not interfere with me losing weight.
    Everyone have a great day!

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Thank you Ladies for the warm welcome!!

Michele- Hope your daughter has a great time in Boston. I visited on a trip when I was in college (I grew up in NJ) and fell in love with the area. I decided this is where I wanted to live "when I grew up" (still waiting for that to happen!)
    Carol- I also suffered with migranes for many, many years so I can relate. They run in my family. Fortunately one day they just stopped and I haven't had 1 in about 5 years. I hope the same thing happens to you.
    Sylvia- I was so distressed to learn of your health setback. I sincerely hope you are better soon.
    Abby- Sending you positive thoughts to help you get thru your son's illness. I can't imagine what you are going through.

OK, I can't hold it in any longer, I just have to let it out...I lost a pound this week!! It may not seem like alot but I am used to seeing fractions of a pound lost in a week (I have been averaging betweek 1/2-3/4 lb. loss/week since the begining of the year). I am so happy. I thought I felt a bit of hip bone last night.

Today is the first day since the first blizzard on 1/26 that I was able to bring my rescue dog Jake (see profile picture) to work. He has been coming to work with me since I got him almost 6 years ago but it has been unsafe to walk him because of all the snow. We just got back from our walk downtown and we are both very happy in spite of the cold temperatues and the wind whipping off the ocean.

Time to get back to work.

Everyone have a great day...only 15 more days until spring here in the Northern Hemisphere.

Chris in cold but not currently snowing MA

I LOVE your enthusiasm, there is no need to be shy about it!! a pound is a pound!!!!! keep it up!! I remember when I felt my first hip bone... exciting huh!
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

Good Afternoon, lovely ladies.

Sylvia, it is so good to hear from you. Some of us were getting a little concerned. We all wish you a very speedy recovery and send a hug to DH for making you go to the doctor. <3

Leslie, the new solar light sounds wonderful.

Selena, I totally relate to all that you said. Thanks for sharing. Congrats on your weight loss. Way to go!!

Gilly, Smiling for you, too on your swimming. I think that’s great.

SuzyH, I know it sounds trite, but I know that a positive attitude can make all the difference for me. I believe in the “don’t dwell on yesterday or worry about tomorrow” one also. So much of life is what we make it.

Lillian, I hope you get over your cold soon.

Alison, you can rattle on all you like. Sometimes “life is a *kitten*” no matter how positive we are. I can’t imagine what all you ladies are going through and I thank the Lord that I don’t have to.

Patty, woo hoo on your 7 pounds. That is great!!

Carey, what a cool house! I like your Leonard Nimoy quote.

Chris, Congrats on that pound. It’s no small thing and I’m very happy for you. Just know if you loose every week, even a fraction of a pound, you are seeing more lose than some of us. Way to go!!!

Liz, we are happy that you found us. Welcome. Come often as this is a great place for support and lots of information.

Welcome to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I wrote this earlier: I'm at the clinic with friend whose having skin surgery. I' be never tried to post on my phone. But have to say I'm so glad to hear from Sylvia. She's staying in my prayers and I hope for a speedy full recovery.
    When I got home to my computer, I see it didn’t go through, as it was in the area where we type posts. I couldn’t find a spot to click “post” after I typed it?? Guess I’ll stick to just reading and recording food from my cell. 

It is 70 degrees and windy but beautiful. Within an hour or two the front will move through and then the temp will drop to around 30 by tomorrow morning. It was great while it lasted.. Best thoughts for all in the frozen, snow and ice areas.

My word #1 is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.

#2 is opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Carey: what a fantastic house! I'm sure you've photographed every square inch. (Hint: can we see more? Lol) Is there some kind of heritage or historical institution/society that could help?
    Cynthia
  • 2ledbetter
    2ledbetter Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm going to get a notebook and try to keep up with everyone, lol. Congrats on the successes. Hope everyone has a great day.
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I have a question for Liz...what is the advantage of eating fermented food? I must have missed that memo.
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Wow! You all are talkative (but I love it)
    Another round of ice and snow for us in Middle Tennessee. I've lived here 33 years and have never seen anything like this! Shut in again!

I saw the most interesting phenomenon last week. A flock of robins (30-50) swooped down into our yard. I have never seen more than 2-4 robins in one area (I guess they are very territorial.) They flew into our holly bush and literally filled it with birds as they stripped it of berries. The bush is right by our front window so the cat and I had a good view of the action. They flew off as quickly as they came. It was beautiful, mystical, and sad. They must have been starving because they are bug eaters. I am so worried about them and other critters since we have this mess again.

SYLVIA – Oh my goodness! You have been in my prayers. Did you have to have more surgery? We are all so concerned about you.

Some of my comments go back a bit:
    Barbie – I loved your list of our talents.
    Carey – liked hearing another “cooking is not so fun” lady is finding that it is very rewarding to cook healthy delicious meals. I love the stone house. How interesting.
    Allison – About your light in the shower area -I shower at the gym 6 days a week but when I shower at home I like it dark so I can slowly wake up. We do have a window and nightlight in there so I is not pitch dark. My husband thinks I’m nuts!
    Janet – You are always such an encourager. I love to read your posts to the other gals. It lifts me.
    Meg – I have a tea cup collection, too.
    Kim – I love the quilt!
    Patty, Selena, and Mary - congrats on the weight losses! I am down 2.4 lbs.
    Lesley – What a lovely idea to add a solar light out by Mildred’s grave!
    Gilly – I am a “water baby”, too. I do water exercise &/or running 5-6 days a week! I’m addicted to the water. That makes these snow days extra hard on me but I’ll try some walking around the house.

WELCOME NEW FRIENDS! I was new once, too!

Friends -I love you. You are making this journey with me. I look forward to each healthy day thanks to my friends, family and ALL OF YOU!
    Toni in Tennessee
    Don’t let a falter become a failure!
    March Goals
    Take blood pressure and 2 hour blood sugar every day
    Log every bite and swallow
    Email, Facebook message, or call three teacher friends each week to encourage them through this challenging time of year
    Walk a minimum of 5,000 steps each day
    “Let go and let God”
  • MMinMD
    MMinMD Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Carey – Congrats on the big switch from ordering out to cooking! Meal planning and grocery trip to someplace with wonderful produce, bread and cheese really makes the difference for me! Janet says “savor” and I have been taking that to heart. I work on cooking wonderful things that are fresh, high in fiber and protein. I also loved the pic of stone house built on the prairie by your great-great gpa. That is pretty neat that you found it.

Mary’s got the right idea: Prioritize!

Lesley - I can hear you working through your grief, you are making progress.

Beth - 8lbs in Feb! Woo!

Hi to Karen from Seattle, Sue, and other newbies.

Pip- oh to feel a hip bone! I look forward to that day! Biking to work is such a great idea for health and the environ.

Congrats on the pound Chris!

Margaret – oh thank you for the flower pic. Snowing here today in Maryland again, everything shut down. I haven’t even planted tomato seeds yet, although I should have long ago, it just doesn’t feel right.

Gilly – I had been swimming a mile 3X a week last year, but dropped it. Excuse is knee pain. Real excuse is I don’t like getting up in the am. I should get back on that, eh?

Sylvia – sorry for the pain and frustration. You thought you were getting better and then back in the hospital. Ugh. Hope this time they can resolve your issues, and that you aren’t too uncomfortable.

Main goal for March:
    Average 450 cal of exercise a day, exercise at least 5 days a week.

Today’s reason to lose weight: So I don’t hurt so much and want to do more exercise.

Well, time to shovel.