So you want a nice stomach

Replies

• indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Thank you for sharing all of this!!! I wish I would have known this years ago! Heading to bodybuilding.com NOW!! (& I've had 2 trainers in that time that I paid good money to mind you, in which I was trying to get info like this from, who kept putting me on 3 sets of 12. Thanks again!!
  • jyoung10
    jyoung10 Posts: 3 Member
    Follow
  • mwebster01
    mwebster01 Posts: 111 Member
    ElliottTN wrote: »
    I really really want to give you a thumbs up but your number 4 is making me cringe.
    I agree with you.cardio makes you lose weight,too.

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    mwebster11 wrote: »
    I really really want to give you a thumbs up but your number 4 is making me cringe.

4. Cardio. I like cardio once or twice a week for 30 minutes. It's good for the heart and lungs. It doesn't add much to the calorie burn for the week, but it helps even things out in case you haven't been completely accurate weighing food.

Where in this post does it say that it does not aid in weight loss? The post is about building a nice stomach anyway, not increasing your calorie burn.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member

Nope. A calorie deficit makes you lose weight. If you prefer to use cardio to help create a deficit that's great and totally personal preference. It's also not necessary to create a deficit, because you can do that through food intake alone.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member

Cardio helps in creating a larger deficit. If you have lot to loose you may see your results a bit faster (with correct and accurate logging)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    It's far FAR easier eating 500 calories less than burning 500 calories more.
  • I need help. I was diagnosed with Celia's disease over 8 years who. So I eat extremely clean. Right now I eat around 1000 calories a day. Mostly veggies but some fruit in the morning and mostly chicken. Nothing processed or packaged ever! I work out for 1 1/2 hours in am and walk for 1/2 hour at night 6 days a week. I do a mix of Pilates, weights,yoga, dance. In the last month I have gained 8 lbs which I have not weighed in over two years and now I can't get it off but keep going up! I am very frustrated as my clothes are too tight now and I feel the extra weight.
  • usmcmp
    Trintrin79 wrote: »
    I need help. I was diagnosed with Celia's disease over 8 years who. So I eat extremely clean. Right now I eat around 1000 calories a day. Mostly veggies but some fruit in the morning and mostly chicken. Nothing processed or packaged ever! I work out for 1 1/2 hours in am and walk for 1/2 hour at night 6 days a week. I do a mix of Pilates, weights,yoga, dance. In the last month I have gained 8 lbs which I have not weighed in over two years and now I can't get it off but keep going up! I am very frustrated as my clothes are too tight now and I feel the extra weight.

@Trintrin79 This would get more answers if you posted a thread of your own asking for help. Start by weighing your food if you aren't already and make an appointment to see your doctor to check for other possible issues.
  • luvforever
    luvforever Posts: 502 Member
    Thank you for this!
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member

But being thin =/= being physically fit. I do cardio during the week to increase my physical fitness as well as give me more calories to play with.
  • FelonE1
    FelonE1 Posts: 96 Member
    Put the work in and stay disciplined and it's easy.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    lewispwest wrote: »

But being thin =/= being physically fit. I do cardio during the week to increase my physical fitness as well as give me more calories to play with.

Thread is about creating a nice stomach.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    lewispwest wrote: »

The post I responded to was about making you lose weight, not being fit.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    I had to stop by just to let you know ...... My husband isn't on MFP and while we were at gym today a talk on "good abs" came. So when we came back home I forward this post link to my husband. Apparently he read the post and then continued to read the comments and he said to me "I wish there was a like button. This person (i.e you) is helping so many strangers. She must such a nice person"
  • usmcmp
    runner475 wrote: »
    I had to stop by just to let you know ...... My husband isn't on MFP and while we were at gym today a talk on "good abs" came. So when we came back home I forward this post link to my husband. Apparently he read the post and then continued to read the comments and he said to me "I wish there was a like button. This person (i.e you) is helping so many strangers. She must such a nice person"

@runner475 Thank you for taking the time to share that! I know when I started I was very lost and it was a variety of posts or comments here that helped me find a reasonable solution to fat loss. I wrote the original post as an attempt to get people headed in the right direction with overall fat loss. Over time people may need to make adjustments to my "plan" to fit their lifestyle or needs better. I really do hope that it helps others.
  • How do I save this somewhere, or put it where I can re-reference it? Thanks!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    How do I save this somewhere, or put it where I can re-reference it? Thanks!

It is always stickied in the announcements at the top of the General Diet and Weight Loss forum. You can also bookmark it by clicking the star at the top of any page of this post, which will give you notifications when someone posts here.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    What do people have against cardio? They just don't like it?
  • usmcmp
    hesn92 wrote: »
    What do people have against cardio? They just don't like it?

@hesn92 To a degree it is that people don't like it.

The real reason I told people that I personally don't do much cardio is to let people know that it isn't necessary for fat loss. There's this huge misconception that you absolutely have to do lots of cardio to lose fat, especially belly fat. It is simply not true. Cardio is of course great for your heart and lungs. You can lose weight and have a nice stomach with zero cardio if you are capable of accurate logging. @LolBroScience is an example of someone who got very very lean with zero cardio.