Is diet pop really bad for you?

Options
My name is jessica , and I'm addicted to diet pop! I'm trying to give up, it has 0 calories/carbs... So why do I keep hearing it will,prevent weight loss????

Replies

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Bad for you? Oh, probably. Most have Aspartame, which has quite a bad reputation.

Impede weight loss? Anecdote alert: for me...no.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    My name is jessica , and I'm addicted to diet pop! I'm trying to give up, it has 0 calories/carbs... So why do I keep hearing it will,prevent weight loss????

It will not prevent weight loss, as the calories are negligible. If you enjoy it and it helps you meet your goals, definitely keep drinking it.

Just be sure and care for your teeth!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    edited March 2015
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Bad for you? Oh, probably. Most have Aspartame, which has quite a bad reputation.

Nothing wrong with aspartame: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

It has a bad rap for no real reason.

Enjoy :smile:

*Edit to add that it can be a migraine trigger for some (just like many things), so if that's the case with you, then avoid it. Or if you have PKU.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    It's probably better to drink water but I don't think there is anything too conclusive. Seems to be a lot of old wives tales and scare tactics.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    No.

Not really... unless you believe the sensationalism masking as journalism and *LET* it be your excuse ... but you're not gonna let it be, right?

Right?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    are there HEALTHIER things to drink? sure. but it doesnt add to your calories and the 'bad for you' seems to be highly debated so if you want it, and suffer no ill effects from drinking it, go for it.

• dantl
    dantl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It does prevent weight loss because of the chemical artificial sweeteners such as sucralose, acesulfame-K (potassium), saccharin and aspartame. They have zero calories, but the chemicals and the sweet taste with zero calories doesn't trick the brain that you are eating sugar and instead stimulates your appetite so you eat more to make up for the calorie deficit the brain is expecting. It causes you to gain more weight and proportionately more fat and in turn slows your metabolism.

I would suggest a few things. You can put lemon or cucumber slices in your water to flavor it. You an also try sparkling mineral water (Perrier has flavored waters) or using plain and mixing with a little bit of 100% cranberry juice with a touch of stevia. The more you can fall in love with regular water - the better your weight loss.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    dantl wrote: »
    It does prevent weight loss because of the chemical artificial sweeteners such as sucralose, acesulfame-K (potassium), saccharin and aspartame. They have zero calories, but the chemicals and the sweet taste with zero calories doesn't trick the brain that you are eating sugar and instead stimulates your appetite so you eat more to make up for the calorie deficit the brain is expecting. It causes you to gain more weight and proportionately more fat and in turn slows your metabolism.

I would suggest a few things. You can put lemon or cucumber slices in your water to flavor it. You an also try sparkling mineral water (Perrier has flavored waters) or using plain and mixing with a little bit of 100% cranberry juice with a touch of stevia. The more you can fall in love with regular water - the better your weight loss.

I don't feel any greater an appetite when drinking Diet Coke than when not drinking it. Steadily losing weight.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    I actually drink Diet Coke to make my tummy happy. Drinking it with a meal actually makes me less likely to overeat because I feel fuller.

And it's yummy.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options

Yer funny, Bro.

Have a look at my profile pics and tell me again it "prevents weight loss"

I'm laughin' over here ...

1425152206280.gif

• Greeneyedgrl_24
    Greeneyedgrl_24 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It wont.

Diet Pepsi is my world. Lost all my weight while drinking it. Don't believe everything you hear.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

This is not true.

I've also had cucumber water. It's gross.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options

Nothing wrong with aspartame: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

*Edit to add that it can be a migraine trigger for some (just like many things), so if that's the case with you, then avoid it. Or if you have PKU.
    +1. I've drank it for over 25+ years now. With all the "formaldehyde" formation, I should be a mummy.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options

You should read actual peer reviewed studies that would refute above. The link mentioned above has some.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

+1. I've drank it for over 25+ years now. With all the "formaldehyde" formation, I should be a mummy.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Right? I've had people tell me to get back to them in a few years and see how my teeth fare. I am old, I got the "NutraSweet" gumball in the mail. I have been ingesting aspartame for over 30 years. Only in the past couple of years did I get what my dentist described as a "tiny" cavity. I don't have osteoporosis, I'm not pickled. :lol:

• squirrlt
    squirrlt Posts: 106 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Well you are a sample size of "1". We could observe a McD's drive through and see how many obese people pull up and order diet drinks too (I'm guessing a lot). But that's not really valid either.

There's a Johns Hopkins study showing diet soda may trigger already obese people to consume more solid food. However, there is another study sponsored by the beverage industry (hmm) that indicates diet soda can help with weight loss. So OP, just decide for yourself if you want to drink it, people can argue about this all day, and laugh at each other, but my best guess based on this limited and conflicting data would be that drinking it may help, hinder, or have no effect (in terms of weight loss) depending on the individual.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

This is not true.

yeah. it really is. i drink water all day, and have been known to put stuff in it (lemon, lime, orange, berries) but cucumber really wasn't very good. neither was kiwi. LOL
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    squirrlt wrote: »
    Well you are a sample size n=1. We could observe a McD's drive through and see how many obese people pull up and order diet drinks too (I'm guessing a lot).

There's a Johns Hopkins study showing diet soda may trigger already obese people to consume more solid food. However, there is another study sponsored by the beverage industry (hmm) that indicates diet soda can help with weight loss. So OP, just decide for yourself if you want to drink it, people can argue about this all day, and laugh at each other, but my best guess based on this limited and conflicting data would be that drinking it may help, hinder, or have no effect depending on the individual.

Diet soda has no effect one way or another on weight loss. It's simply a way to enjoy the taste of soda without having to drink your calories.

People who blame diet soda for their weight gain are using it as an excuse. If you're counting calories and otherwise monitoring your intake, diet soda will have no effect.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

This is not true.

yeah. it really is. i drink water all day, and have been known to put stuff in it (lemon, lime, orange, berries) but cucumber really wasn't very good. neither was kiwi. LOL

Ha, I know. I can drink water when I'm thirsty, but it has to be plain and ice cold. Putting anything in it makes it taste weird and I don't like chunks in my water, either.

Sometimes you just gotta have a yummy diet root beer, or Diet Dr. Pepper.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

No, none of this "tricking the brain" stuff is true.

Diet sweeteners have been proven to be safe.

If you enjoy diet soda, there's no reason to stop drinking it.