Calorie Counting 101

Replies

• duckyruth
    duckyruth Posts: 19 Member
    What is bumping? Also want to say Vismal this opens my eyes to lots of things to consider & implement...it almost scares me.

Additionally, am I doing it wrong when I exercise but still eat my allotted calories? I shouldn't?

I'm new to this & need help in losing weight & working MFP! Have to do this myself & learn properly as can't afford paying.

Any help will be apreciated. Don't know if I should write a post in introduce myself & have no idea who or how to friend. Put a post in for mentor but no reply.

Thanks.
  • duckyruth
    I love this post. Counting calories suits the obsessive in me. My scale measures weight and liquids so I can measure my 40g of oats, zero the scale, then add 150ml of milk, zero again and add 150ml of water. Into the microwave then back on the scale to add my 5g of agave nectar. It's so easy! Most of my meals are prepped in the same way, in a bowl on the scale. Every ingredient is weighed and logged, then just zero the scale and add the next ingredient.

For calories I wear a heart rate monitor. I can then manually enter the exercise and calorie after every workout. My fitbit is connected to mfp too so my walking is logged via that but all cardio and weight sessions are measured with the hrm.

Karen...what kind of scale do you have? Is it necessary to have one? I'm a beginner here on MFP & too old & probably lazy to weigh everything. What happens when you go to restaurant? Can I count on MFP first & learn to deal with cal counting on this app & carefully watch my portions first? I've lost 12 lbs but not sure I trust my scale cause it doesn't seem to give me the same weight twice in a row & it's an electronic weight watcher's brand!

Anyway, as I've said any help anyone can give I am listening & willing to learn.
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    duckyruth wrote: »
    What is bumping?

I frequent a 'ukulele forum and there they use it in the marketplace section to Bring Up My Post - in other words, sometimes the 'ukulele they are trying to sell gets "lost" in the conversations about it being for sale. So the original poster bumps their original post back up to the top of the heap.

• duckyruth
    peterjens wrote: »
    What is bumping?

I frequent a 'ukulele forum and there they use it in the marketplace section to Bring Up My Post - in other words, sometimes the 'ukulele they are trying to sell gets "lost" in the conversations about it being for sale. So the original poster bumps their original post back up to the top of the heap.

Oh, thanks! Yes, it is kinda a pain to scroll up & down to beginning & end!
  • tommy4707
    tommy4707 Posts: 7 Member
    Can i get some help! I'm trying hard to lose weight, trying to count calories but the problem I face is my job. I work on a tow boat, I live one it for 28 days at a time. While I'm on the boat I have no say in what food gets prepared and have to either eat it or go hungry which is also not going to help me loss weight. how could I make the right choice in what I'm eating, from what I get to choose from ?
  • peterjens
    This reminds me of the scene in the movie City Slickers when the chuckwagon cook describes the food he makes - "It's hot. It's brown. And there's plenty of it." You might have any say in what is prepared but you do have a say in the amount of food you eat. Figure out your TDEE here - http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ and then keep a journal of how much you eat. Maybe you can have a conversation with the cook to see if he is open to suggestions for nutritious food. Good luck.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    What is bumping? Also want to say Vismal this opens my eyes to lots of things to consider & implement...it almost scares me.

Additionally, am I doing it wrong when I exercise but still eat my allotted calories? I shouldn't?

I'm new to this & need help in losing weight & working MFP! Have to do this myself & learn properly as can't afford paying.

Any help will be apreciated. Don't know if I should write a post in introduce myself & have no idea who or how to friend. Put a post in for mentor but no reply.

Thanks.
    Bumping moves a thread back to the top. This thread is pinned so bumping doesn't do anything. Not sure why so many people keep bumping it... lol :p

As to eating back exercise calories, it depends. If you are losing weight steadily by eating them all back, then I'd continue. If you aren't, consider eating just a portion back. If that doesn't stimulate weight loss, consider eating none of them back.
    tommy4707 wrote: »
    Can i get some help! I'm trying hard to lose weight, trying to count calories but the problem I face is my job. I work on a tow boat, I live one it for 28 days at a time. While I'm on the boat I have no say in what food gets prepared and have to either eat it or go hungry which is also not going to help me loss weight. how could I make the right choice in what I'm eating, from what I get to choose from ?
    Types of foods aren't the issue, it's amounts. While you can't control what they serve, you can certainly control how much of it you eat.

• peterjens
    peterjens wrote: »
    You might have any say in what is prepared but you do have a say in the amount of food you eat.

D'oh! I meant to say, "You might not have any say..."

• Great post. I am just starting out in earnest - this will be so helpful. Thanks.
  • dyersandy
    dyersandy Posts: 7 Member
    Thanks for the information! I'll be getting a scale today!!
  • femail1214
    femail1214 Posts: 3 Member
    this was extremely helpful
  • tracetraceau
    tracetraceau Posts: 11 Member
    My concern also if MFP tells me my daily goal is 1200 calories and with the amount of exercise I'm doing most days it gives me between 550 to 700 calories extra. Do I stick to ONLY eating my 1200 calories a day or is that not enough ?
  • vismal
    My concern also if MFP tells me my daily goal is 1200 calories and with the amount of exercise I'm doing most days it gives me between 550 to 700 calories extra. Do I stick to ONLY eating my 1200 calories a day or is that not enough ?
    You should probably eat back at least some portion of what you burn. Probably not all of it, but at least some. Trial and error will let you know how much.

• drinkxyouxpretty
    drinkxyouxpretty Posts: 14 Member
    Probably a terrible question, but, do you weigh pasta&rice before or after cooking?
  • vismal
    Probably a terrible question, but, do you weigh pasta&rice before or after cooking?
    Before, but make sure your nutritional information is for dry pasta or dry rice.
  • amitkatz0
    amitkatz0 Posts: 61 Member
    Weighing before is a good idea, I've found that usually for things like rice and quinoa the ratio of dry food:water is about 1:1, so you can use that to estimate in case you forgot to measure before.
  • nesian_twin
    nesian_twin Posts: 198
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2537130/Portion-sizes.html [/quote]that's just not accurate, and to be honest, more work to remember all that. It's not hard to put food on a scale. It takes roughly 1 or 2 seconds more to place something on a scale and hit a button than to hold something up to your palm. Who has time to remember how many "dice size pieces of cheese are in an ounce. I'd rather press a button and be accurate.

nah - its boring and obsessive :)

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    I'm laughing so hard right now at the fact that someone flagged a sticky as spam.
  • hezemakiah
    hezemakiah Posts: 157 Member
    I wish this was a mandatory read before people sign up for MFP! It would put out a lot of fires when new people are confused, ask for help and then get strongly worded responses or flat out bullied sometimes - along with the people who are just trying to help them!!!! Starting out when you are new and confused can be very overwhelming. Thanks for posting this!!!!
  • paralegalnc
    paralegalnc Posts: 43 Member
    thanks for posting. I weigh my food and measure. But I did not know you weigh meat raw. so I learned something. thanks.