Replies

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Oh, as for the POV that it's just gluttony and people just want to be able to eat whatever they want to eat and so on: That can surely get you overweight. But to get up to 600 pounds? I don't see how "just" eating lazily or even overeating to a careless extent - even if you're making a good deal of that food fast food and so on? I can tell you that nobody WANTS to feel horrid indigestion, bloated, possibly vomiting (depending) just from sheer bulk, dizzy, headachy-y and of course, self-hatred. (ETA: Dear God, the grammar in that last sentence...I'm not even going to correct it because it's just too funny.) That's not "laziness". Laziness would be AVOIDING those feelings. It would be NOT going to every length to smuggle, hide, lie about and manage to somehow procure more and more and more food when there's already plenty of food available. That's another reason that, in my opinion, there's more than simple gluttony or even just a lack of knowledge of nutrition going on here.

You get to 600, 700 pounds, shoving it in and feeling sick over and over again, becoming incapacitated, sick and having your kids come around to your bed in tears begging you not to die but you STILL can't stop, and there's probably something other than laziness or gluttony going on there.

That's what I was thinking watching the show. You must have to train for 600 pounds like people train for the Olympics. The sheer amount of time involved in obtaining food, preparing food, eating food, thinking and fantasizing about food, planning meals and how and when you can eat again that has to happen in order to even want to ingest eight or ten thousand calories a day, let alone actually achieve it... I can't even wrap my head around it. I'm too lazy to go through the drive-through at McDonald's when I've got perfectly good food at home.

They have a not as fat/immobile person doing it for them

Well, sure, once they hit those goalposts, though a lot of the people on the show do seem to do their own shopping. But in order to get to 600 pounds they had to blow through 200, 300, 400, 500, and every pound in between, and they probably weren't bedridden for at least the first couple of hundred. Twenty pounds can creep up on you, but I think of the work I'd have to put in to pack on 200 and I just want to throw up my hands and never eat again.

Like the poster above was saying, you can't really call that laziness. Laziness might keep you moderately overweight, but it's not going to take you through 450 pounds of gain over a healthy weight range.

This exactly. I mean you don't go to bed one night 150 lbs. and wake up the next morning 600 lbs.

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Oh, as for the POV that it's just gluttony and people just want to be able to eat whatever they want to eat and so on: That can surely get you overweight. But to get up to 600 pounds? I don't see how "just" eating lazily or even overeating to a careless extent - even if you're making a good deal of that food fast food and so on? I can tell you that nobody WANTS to feel horrid indigestion, bloated, possibly vomiting (depending) just from sheer bulk, dizzy, headachy-y and of course, self-hatred. (ETA: Dear God, the grammar in that last sentence...I'm not even going to correct it because it's just too funny.) That's not "laziness". Laziness would be AVOIDING those feelings. It would be NOT going to every length to smuggle, hide, lie about and manage to somehow procure more and more and more food when there's already plenty of food available. That's another reason that, in my opinion, there's more than simple gluttony or even just a lack of knowledge of nutrition going on here.

You get to 600, 700 pounds, shoving it in and feeling sick over and over again, becoming incapacitated, sick and having your kids come around to your bed in tears begging you not to die but you STILL can't stop, and there's probably something other than laziness or gluttony going on there.

That's what I was thinking watching the show. You must have to train for 600 pounds like people train for the Olympics. The sheer amount of time involved in obtaining food, preparing food, eating food, thinking and fantasizing about food, planning meals and how and when you can eat again that has to happen in order to even want to ingest eight or ten thousand calories a day, let alone actually achieve it... I can't even wrap my head around it. I'm too lazy to go through the drive-through at McDonald's when I've got perfectly good food at home.

Well, sure, once they hit those goalposts, though a lot of the people on the show do seem to do their own shopping. But in order to get to 600 pounds they had to blow through 200, 300, 400, 500, and every pound in between, and they probably weren't bedridden for at least the first couple of hundred. Twenty pounds can creep up on you, but I think of the work I'd have to put in to pack on 200 and I just want to throw up my hands and never eat again.

Like the poster above was saying, you can't really call that laziness. Laziness might keep you moderately overweight, but it's not going to take you through 450 pounds of gain over a healthy weight range.

Even I would think this is semantics but I wouldn't say laziness (that is, a moral deficit) so much as just being sedentary. I can think of a couple bigger people I know who tend to ask people to do things for them, more so than their lower weight acquaintances. I even had to catch myself doing that. A lot of the aspects of day to day living that would be considered just being efficient - your buddy is already going somewhere, so just have him pick something up or get some information for you while there - could little by little contribute to a more sedentary life

A significant amount of calories is indeed required to maintain that weight. Hmm to put on 200+ lbs. I just think of ALL the times I've said no to high calorie foods and say yes instead.

Right, but, again. A LOT of people are "just sedentary" - in fact it seems to be a national problem (don't know if you're in the U.S., but it's not just the U.S. anymore, though we are still leading the pack)...but are NOT 600 lbs.

And as the poster above mentioned, they're having people do more and more for them as they get bigger and bigger...but that's incremental (probably). However...again, I know an awful lot of parents, for example, who have their kids get up for every little thing ("get Mommy a glass of ice water, can you go turn on the light for Mommy, go run around the field to Dad and tell him X") but don't weigh anywhere near what these people weigh.

It's not semantics, it's just...how it is.

My mother-in-law weighs approximately 230 lbs., has been there since I've know her (13 years - I mean I don't know that she's been EXACTLY that weight, but I can say she looks just the same now as she does in my wedding pictures) and she is SO FREAKING LAZY. Oh dear DOG she does nothing...nothing. One time I was over at their house and we went into the garage. She needed her purse which was in the dining room which is ATTACHED TO the garage...I mean you open the door...there's the dining room. She called my father-in-law on her cell phone to bring her purse to her! I *kitten* you not. She cries fibromyalgia all the time (that is a real disease, not saying it's not) but when father-in-law somehow isn't available once in a blue moon she'll haul her own *kitten* to McDonald's for breakfast...AND lunch...that she can accomplish, though she's going there because her "fibro won't allow me to cook!" Seriously that woman doesn't move an inch if she doesn't have to and unless it involves looking for more food. Again, she weighs 230. I wouldn't say she has a high metabolism as she is also mentally a slug and just generally moves slowly.

She's only one example but I can tick any number of dozens of people I know personally who are very, very, very lazy and eat a lot and are nowhere near 600-700 pounds.

Just my experiences.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options

My best friend just started trying to lose weight. She's 6'0 and was 415lbs (now she's about 390lbs I believe). I do want to ask how she could possibly let herself get that big, but the thing is, she has ALWAYS been overweight. When we were in high school she was already almost 300 pounds. One thing she mentioned is that even though she knew she was gaining weight, she never imagined that she'd break 400. It's scary how easy it is to put on weight when you're not paying attention and you're binge eating all the time. I went from 215 to 280 in a year. I'm not exactly proud of it, but the truth is...it is super easy for me to gain weight, and I assume it's probably the same for my friend. I think if I hadn't started trying at all, I'd probably be well over 300 by now.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    akern1987 wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »
    akern1987 wrote: »
    I applaud the bravery of the people on those shows

The folks on these shows are being exploited by the business men and women who produce them for the sole purpose of entertainment and profit mongering.

That's definitely true, and I know that, and for the people who view it as a "freak show" that makes me sad, and those are the same people who look at someone overweight and just assume that they've never exercised a day in their life, and that they eat nothing but McDonalds all days long (which I know is true for some folks) instead of wanting to know the story. I'm not naive to the business end of that channel, but I also know how hard it is to admit my own shortcomings even to myself, let alone have them aired on national television. This is long hard road to be on, and at least in terms of My Big Fat Fabulous Life, she's doing her thing and isn't afraid to be proud of herself, and that's awesome.

The part that really creeps me out about that aspect is there are entire internet forums devoted to hating fat people. They come to forums like this and to people's personal blogs that discuss weight just to copy over pictures and stories to build elaborate fantasies about them. They don't just make jokes or make fun of how they look, they talk about the manner in which they hope they die, and how much they want them to suffer. I feel like all of those shows are people serving themselves up to the hate sites on a platter.

Can't live your life based on who may hate the fact that you exist

• TheRealStella47
    TheRealStella47 Posts: 24 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    slovie64 wrote: »
    Most of the people succeed. Except for Penny. Everyone should watch her story - part one and two - to see what denial really looks like.

And Pauline in the new season. She's a whiny, difficult person - she's age 51 but she was just such a baby about everything. She would argue with Dr. Now and always had some kind of excuse. And she would say things to him like, "you can't expect so much from me so fast" (this was on day 5 post-op when she hadn't even gotten out of the bed yet.) Did she ever WATCH the show before she went on it? And see all those people who went home the next day? She lied about her food intake, and simply would not do anything Dr. Now asked her to. I think she just wanted the surgery to do all the work for her and not put forth any effort. And she's ruining her son's life.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options

Even I would think this is semantics but I wouldn't say laziness (that is, a moral deficit) so much as just being sedentary. I can think of a couple bigger people I know who tend to ask people to do things for them, more so than their lower weight acquaintances. I even had to catch myself doing that. A lot of the aspects of day to day living that would be considered just being efficient - your buddy is already going somewhere, so just have him pick something up or get some information for you while there - could little by little contribute to a more sedentary life

A significant amount of calories is indeed required to maintain that weight. Hmm to put on 200+ lbs. I just think of ALL the times I've said no to high calorie foods and say yes instead.

Right, but, again. A LOT of people are "just sedentary" - in fact it seems to be a national problem (don't know if you're in the U.S., but it's not just the U.S. anymore, though we are still leading the pack)...but are NOT 600 lbs.

And as the poster above mentioned, they're having people do more and more for them as they get bigger and bigger...but that's incremental (probably). However...again, I know an awful lot of parents, for example, who have their kids get up for every little thing ("get Mommy a glass of ice water, can you go turn on the light for Mommy, go run around the field to Dad and tell him X") but don't weigh anywhere near what these people weigh.

It's not semantics, it's just...how it is.

My mother-in-law weighs approximately 230 lbs., has been there since I've know her (13 years - I mean I don't know that she's been EXACTLY that weight, but I can say she looks just the same now as she does in my wedding pictures) and she is SO FREAKING LAZY. Oh dear DOG she does nothing...nothing. One time I was over at their house and we went into the garage. She needed her purse which was in the dining room which is ATTACHED TO the garage...I mean you open the door...there's the dining room. She called my father-in-law on her cell phone to bring her purse to her! I *kitten* you not. She cries fibromyalgia all the time (that is a real disease, not saying it's not) but when father-in-law somehow isn't available once in a blue moon she'll haul her own *kitten* to McDonald's for breakfast...AND lunch...that she can accomplish, though she's going there because her "fibro won't allow me to cook!" Seriously that woman doesn't move an inch if she doesn't have to and unless it involves looking for more food. Again, she weighs 230. I wouldn't say she has a high metabolism as she is also mentally a slug and just generally moves slowly.

She's only one example but I can tick any number of dozens of people I know personally who are very, very, very lazy and eat a lot and are nowhere near 600-700 pounds.

Just my experiences.

If your MIL is maintaining her weight, then she's not eating above her TDEE. Doesn't matter if she's lazy or eats McDonald's.

Someone gets to 600 lbs by consuming more calories than they need, repeatedly.

And I suspect that it's not possible to get to 600 lbs without a lot of excuses being made by someone that permits the behavior of consuming too many calories to continue year after year after year.

It seems a lot more likely to me that people rationalize irrationality, than that irrationality is actually on some deep subconscious level "rational."

• IIGuardian
    IIGuardian Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Pauline was the worst! She actually has a website, where you can pay to watch her eat or get a rub down.
    Come again? Where did you hear about this?
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2034839/The-worlds-fattest-woman-700-pound-California-woman-enters-record-books.html

I could not find her website again, but if you put her name in youtube, she has tons of videos.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

Now the attitude that five or ten pounds above one's ideal weight is ugly, "fat" and unacceptable - that IS hurtful. But there has to be a happy medium in there somewhere. I do feel we need to adopt the attitude that bodies of different types and sizes can be beautiful, without swinging totally to "...which means being morbidly obese, unable to function well and having significant health issues is beautiful." Isn't there an in-between? Why does it have to be one or the other?

I think what really bugs me is that it's part of this culture where everyone co-owns every female's body. Nobody's telling guys this stuff, because men are not valued based on how much other people want to have sex with them. Women, however, are de-valued based on their size alone, NOT the fact that they might have health problems or struggle with daily life, it's solely because they have failed to live up to their social obligation to be attractive.

Telling someone they're beautiful means "I see past your sexual desirability", it doesn't mean "knock yourself and eat a billion Twinkies". So claiming that is what means, to me, is a complete tell that someone is just being an a-hole.

But that's just me lol...

This bugs me too. WhyTF does the entire world have the right to tell me whether my body is acceptable *to them* or not? I frankly couldn't give a fart in a high wind if my exact body type is appealing to some dude. Go get your own girl, one you DO like. But leave your judgments at home.

Really I was just questioning why there isn't some level of acceptance of every body (male or female) being different from every other one - without totally swinging to, "That means that a person who is extremely uncomfortable and unwell must be beautiful too." No, she "mustn't" be hands-down, any more than blue eyes MUST be either ugly or beautiful to every single person. I hope that made any sense at all, LOL. Dodging between posts and actual work.

This is why I stay single! :)

• wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    jazzine1 wrote: »
    I like watching My Big Fat Fabulous Life but the only thing if I dont feel sorry for her. I feel t she blames all her weight gain to PCOS. If you watch the show yes she teaches dance/zumba so she is exercising but you can see she doesnt eat very healthy or like someone who is trying to live a healthier lifestyle. Did you see the episode where her father made her a healthier breakfast or lunch (I forgot) but she insisted on what she had made for herself which wasnt a healthy choice. Then she proceeded to eat her sandwich along with what her father had made for her. I have read a couple post forums on here on ppl who have PCOS and they have still managed to lose weight because they are making healthier long term choices. Someone said yes PCOS makes you gain and harder to lose weight but not impossible.

That's the only real bone I have to pick with that show -- the blaming of her weight entirely on PCOS. I have PCOS and I know more than a few other people who do also. It can make weight loss a lot more difficult than some people want to acknowledge, but weight loss isn't impossible at all. You just have to commit to the right set of changes (reducing carbs and exercising a lot are the most common ones) and work really hard at them. And you have to realize that it does put you at a slight metabolic disadvantage (the number I saw was about 250 calorie lower maintenance than a comparable individual without PCOS) and you have to set your calorie goal accordingly. But it can be done. If she doesn't want to do it, that's her prerogative, but I can't help but be annoyed by the "I can't help it, I have PCOS" of it all.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    jazzine1 wrote: »

There have been some unfortunate changes in the way WLS is done. It's more of a for-profit business now than ever before. Before lapro was an option, the screening was a lot stricter, including the psych screen, and very few surgeons were even available to do it. Now they pop out of the woodwork like Dr. Nick on The Simpsons, and I've seen so many horror stories in the support group I used to moderate. I get the impression there isn't nearly as much attention paid to the home environment as I had, either - if someone is living with a feeder, or a person who has a bad co-dependent relationship vested in keeping the person obese, surgery is just a lot of pain and misery that won't win in the end. That relationship has to end first.

It's a shame isnt it. I think it would be more beneficial if they had at least 6 months prior therapy requirement before surgery. There has to be core issues (aside from those who have serious health issues that prevents them from losing) why someone allows themselves to eat and eat to the point they cant walk and/or are house bound.

You mentioned Angel - I was worried about the outcome of her surgery when she lost 165 *before* getting the procedure and they noted that she was basically not eating at all.

I did think it was really backwards that she didn't see a therapist until way later in the year. Because you can see her getting thinner...but you don't see her smile until after therapy. That girl was really depressed.

I figured this thread would be lit up with how she was starving herself. I think towards the end I saw her cooking up some onions but all they ever seemed to show her eat during her weight loss phase was a cup of jello. Thought it was odd that the show mentions that she starved herself to 170 lbs down, but Dr. Now's spin is simply that it's not unusual for people that big to drop 200 lbs in two months. I mean I guess the show is just following them and wouldn't snitch on them but I just found the whole thing... odd. There were no real details offered to this. I mean was she practicing a form of IF where she may have skipped a few meals but really was getting enough food for a normal person, but it just seemed like very little food for a person her size?

Was pretty interesting to see Dr. Now have a fit because she went to some other hospital for treatment and didn't inform/involve him. Too many people under a professional's care go outside seeking advice. It was nice to see the effects of that demonstrated. Anyway, I'm rambling...

And yeah she really was just so sad. She kept saying how she's going to all these events for her son but you could see her just stare like a zombie. I liked how towards the end she was at least getting into the game. "*Shoot* the ball, kid!!"

It may just be an issue of when they shot their footage. I lost 50 between my surgery and 2 week follow up. At the same time, I wasn't really eating solid foods yet. The first 5 days I got nothing but sponges to keep my tongue from drying out, then I got liquids, and the 2nd week was soft foods only. After that I had a timeline for reintroducing solids. If they used filler shots from that timeframe, it would look like she wasn't eating much real food, especially if it played into the story they wanted to give her (I haven't seen that one).

They put up text saying that pre-surgery she had been skipping most meals and drastically undereating. I did think it was interesting that the producers thought to call it out but not a word from Dr. Now. Angel lost 165 pounds in two months before surgery, and 5 pounds in the first month after surgery.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    On my BFFL, I do think she takes "Body Positive" image a bit too far. She was teaching a dance class in her bra top. Everyone else in the room had a t shirt or tank top on. She was the only one showing belly. It just was not appropriate. At least she is working out.

She gets tons of literal "hate" mail. I feel bad for the gal, but I agree, there is more going on than PCOS. However, it is good to provide education that obesity is linked to other health problems.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    On my BFFL, I do think she takes "Body Positive" image a bit too far. She was teaching a dance class in her bra top. Everyone else in the room had a t shirt or tank top on. She was the only one showing belly. It just was not appropriate. At least she is working out.

She gets tons of literal "hate" mail. I feel bad for the gal, but I agree, there is more going on than PCOS. However, it is good to provide education that obesity is linked to other health problems.

Kinda like Lena Dunham on Girls? That chick loves to take off her clothes and I'm all like "put them back on!"

I'm all for positive body image and feel like women have too much pressure on them to look a certain way. But there comes to a point where yeah - 'real women have curves' blah blah but Whitney is very, very unhealthy - and there's noting positive about that.

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

Kinda like Lena Dunham on Girls? That chick loves to take off her clothes and I'm all like "put them back on!"

I'm all for positive body image and feel like women have too much pressure on them to look a certain way. But there comes to a point where yeah - 'real women have curves' blah blah but Whitney is very, very unhealthy - and there's noting positive about that.

See? There it is again - "you don't look how I want you to therefore you have no right to make me see your body even though I could just NOT WATCH THE SHOW". Neither of those women owe you anything - if you don't want to see them, shut off the TV and STFU. You are, in fact, NOT all for positive body image and you are the one putting pressure on women to look a certain way.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options

See? There it is again - "you don't look how I want you to therefore you have no right to make me see your body even though I could just NOT WATCH THE SHOW". Neither of those women owe you anything - if you don't want to see them, shut off the TV and STFU. You are, in fact, NOT all for positive body image and you are the one putting pressure on women to look a certain way.

Because, as women it's our job to be ornamental or disappear.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options

Sounds like a problem you have.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options

I did turn ot off and no longer watch Girls. I can't help it if looking at Lena Dunham naked makes me uncomfortable. Could be years of conditioning...I'm just being honest. No need to swear to me.

However, seeing Whitney in a sports bra or in a bikini doesn't

• MsValerieAnne
    MsValerieAnne Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I love it. I know that's kind of odd, but I do. It motivates me and makes me happy I can still do normal daily activities, and even though my family isn't one that talks about much or does much together, I'm very thankful none of them are negative like some of the relationships I've seen over the years. Some of the time it, the show (or more the people chosen) bug me because it seems like they don't want the help they are given, when there are so many more people that actually do want the help. Those are the saddest cases to me.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    Do any of you think that Dr. Now gives them to low of a daily calorie intake?

I admit I don't know much about obesity and WLS, so I'm not entirely sure how many calories a day a pateint of WLS is supposed to have, but I think I heard Dr. Now telling one to eat 1,000 or 1200 calories a day. Which would seem like such a drastic change from what they were consuming before that it might be just too hard for them to sustain over a period of time. Even if they were consuming 1400 to 1600 calories a day, they'd still lose, right?
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Do any of you think that Dr. Now gives them to low of a daily calorie intake?

I admit I don't know much about obesity and WLS, so I'm not entirely sure how many calories a day a pateint of WLS is supposed to have, but I think I heard Dr. Now telling one to eat 1,000 or 1200 calories a day. Which would seem like such a drastic change from what they were consuming before that it might be just too hard for them to sustain over a period of time. Even if they were consuming 1400 to 1600 calories a day, they'd still lose, right?

You physically don't have room for any more food than that. You can cheat it, and drink milkshakes and broccoli cheese soup all day, but if you're actually eating normal food, you just don't have anywhere to put it - if you try, it will come back up. Getting up to 1200 is a challenge in itself, especially in the beginning. That's why what is eaten is even more important than how much.

Over time, depending what type of surgery, things stretch or get adjusted, and there's room for more.