Sugar is the devil!

Options

Replies

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Google...where all the best research is done!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    IN.

eating-popcorn-gif.gif
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Sammy813 wrote: »
    trityl chloride, acetic anhydride, hydrogen chlorine, thionyl chloride, and methanol in the presence of dimethylformamide, 4-methylmorpholine, toluene, methyl isobutyl ketone, acetic acid, benzyltriethlyammonium chloride, and sodium methoxide,

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you have no clue what any of these are.

Also: hydrogen chlorine? Nope.

Haha haha.

Everyone should science. It would make the world a better place.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    The point of my question has nothing to do with proving Splenda causes cancer but, bc people are commenting about it here are some fun facts:

Sucralose: What are the cons?

The most misunderstood fact about sucralose is that it is nothing like sugar even though the marketing implies that it is. Sucralose was actually discovered while trying to create a new insecticide. It may have started out as sugar, but the final product is anything but sugar. According to the book Sweet Deception, sucralose is made when sugar is treated with trityl chloride, acetic anhydride, hydrogen chlorine, thionyl chloride, and methanol in the presence of dimethylformamide, 4-methylmorpholine, toluene, methyl isobutyl ketone, acetic acid, benzyltriethlyammonium chloride, and sodium methoxide, making it unlike anything found in nature. If you read the fine print on the Splenda web site, it states that "although sucralose has a structure like sugar and a sugar-like taste, it is not natural." The presence of chlorine is thought to be the most dangerous component of sucralose. Chlorine is considered a carcinogen and has been used in poisonous gas, disinfectants, pesticides, and plastics. The digestion and absorption of sucralose is not clear due to a lack of long-term studies on humans. The majority of studies were done on animals for short lengths of time. The alleged symptoms associated with sucralose are gastrointestinal problems (bloating, gas, diarrhea, nausea), skin irritations (rash, hives, redness, itching, swelling), wheezing, cough, runny nose, chest pains, palpitations, anxiety, anger, moods swings, depression, and itchy eyes. The only way to be sure of the safety of sucralose is to have long-term studies on humans done.

Ok, no more posts from me on that subject. I don't want to debate about it lol!

OMG! Please, take a chemistry class.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    This should make up for the "bad foods" thread which I see was sadly deleted :(
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Google...where all the best research is done!

Gone are the days of needing to have that encyclopedia handy. Though I still do. :)
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Are you diabetic? Or is it that you just find yourself binging on sugar laden foods? Moderation is key...no reason to cut out a whole food group.

Your body cannot tell the difference between different kinds of sugar but I'd still recommend eating a piece of fruit when a sugar craving hits...it's sweet and provides other nutrients not found in typical "junk" food.

I just crave sugar...A LOT! Lol. I don't plan on cutting it out altogether, I just want to stop craving candy lol

You crave candy for the same reason we all do.. It tastes really good. I don't know what you can do about that aside from keeping it out of the house, like many others have suggested.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    This should make up for the "bad foods" thread which I see was sadly deleted :(

42 pages of madness....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Are you diabetic? Or is it that you just find yourself binging on sugar laden foods? Moderation is key...no reason to cut out a whole food group.

Your body cannot tell the difference between different kinds of sugar but I'd still recommend eating a piece of fruit when a sugar craving hits...it's sweet and provides other nutrients not found in typical "junk" food.

I just crave sugar...A LOT! Lol. I don't plan on cutting it out altogether, I just want to stop craving candy lol

exert more self control ...

OR

totally remove it from your environment.

OR

totally remove it from your environment and then slowly re-introduce it
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    If sugar is the devil then I guess I'm working for the devil. I work in a bakery.

In seriousness, if you crave sugar maybe you should...have sugar? I don't think deprivation is a good thing and it may set you up for future failure. I think the intense cravings you're describing will stop when you allow yourself sugar each day in normal quantities because then you won't be deprived.
  • duplicitous
    duplicitous Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    kducky22 wrote: »
    amusd.gif

I can't stop laughing. Sorry.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    MrCoolGrim wrote: »
    Rawr rawr...I'm the sugar devil. Rawr.

sugar_demon.gif

giphy.gif

You are like a GifMaster now. The Force is strong with you, for pulling out that MIB one...

• tincanonastring
    Options
    The point of my question has nothing to do with proving Splenda causes cancer but, bc people are commenting about it here are some fun facts:

The most misunderstood fact about sucralose is that it is nothing like sugar even though the marketing implies that it is. Sucralose was actually discovered while trying to create a new insecticide. It may have started out as sugar, but the final product is anything but sugar. According to the book Sweet Deception, sucralose is made when sugar is treated with trityl chloride, acetic anhydride, hydrogen chlorine, thionyl chloride, and methanol in the presence of dimethylformamide, 4-methylmorpholine, toluene, methyl isobutyl ketone, acetic acid, benzyltriethlyammonium chloride, and sodium methoxide, making it unlike anything found in nature. If you read the fine print on the Splenda web site, it states that "although sucralose has a structure like sugar and a sugar-like taste, it is not natural." The presence of chlorine is thought to be the most dangerous component of sucralose. Chlorine is considered a carcinogen and has been used in poisonous gas, disinfectants, pesticides, and plastics. The digestion and absorption of sucralose is not clear due to a lack of long-term studies on humans. The majority of studies were done on animals for short lengths of time. The alleged symptoms associated with sucralose are gastrointestinal problems (bloating, gas, diarrhea, nausea), skin irritations (rash, hives, redness, itching, swelling), wheezing, cough, runny nose, chest pains, palpitations, anxiety, anger, moods swings, depression, and itchy eyes. The only way to be sure of the safety of sucralose is to have long-term studies on humans done.

Oh, *kitten*! My sides!

1) OP posts that artificial sweeteners cause cancer.
    2) Hilarity ensues.
    3) OP doubles down with ctrl+v from the internets.
    4) Enterprising individuals find original article.
    5) Amazingly bearded individual notices the paragraph immediately preceding the piece that OP copied.

"The FDA reviewed studies in human beings and animals and determined that sucralose did not pose carcinogenic, reproductive, or neurological risk to human beings."

choofed.gif
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »

I'm curious, what is the source for this info? I'd like to go read, but you did not list any links.
    I believe it's copypasta from here: http://www.medicinenet.com/artificial_sweeteners/page9.htm

ETA: Sniped because I didn't read the whole thread first. I R bad MFPer. :(
    a2yhiuvr00cc.gif

• LucasEVille
    LucasEVille Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    Splenda or anything with sweetnlow in it- I know they cause cancer

Medical sources?

And so the unnecessary flagging begins.... And I'm with the poster above. If someone has a peer reviewed study that's not done on rats...I'd be willing to read it while I'm on my lunch break.
    auddii wrote: »
    Of all the gifs in this thread, how is this what gets flagged?!

The irony being that 99% of my posts are usually GIFs, I was in a rare good mood when I posted the above ;)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Oh, *kitten*! My sides!

2) Hilarity ensues.
    5) Amazingly bearded individual notices the paragraph immediately preceding the piece that OP copied.

"The FDA reviewed studies in human beings and animals and determined that sucralose did not pose carcinogenic, reproductive, or neurological risk to human beings."

choofed.gif

Nice! Yellow peeps for you!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Oh, *kitten*! My sides!

2) Hilarity ensues.

choofed.gif

You forgot what's about to happen.
    6) White Knights appear with strawman argument telling everyone to just leave OP alone, if she wants to eliminate sugar it is her choice.
    7) OP starts mean people thread.

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Oh, *kitten*! My sides!

2) Hilarity ensues.

choofed.gif

I am not amazingly bearded. I have a beard, but it ain't amazing.

Heck, you even quoted my post that had that in it.

Whatchu playin' at, bro?
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    6) Public lauds Tincanon for his diligence and for his awesome beard.
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Oh, *kitten*! My sides!

2) Hilarity ensues.

choofed.gif

Nice! Yellow peeps for you!

It's not Sunday and stop mocking my surefire weight loss plan!