• Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I am saddened that this is not about http://theoatmeal.com/

*wanders off*
  • farberry
    farberry Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Gingerbread Porridge! I use some sweetener, a pinch each of ground ginger and mixed spice, then once it's cooked stir through half a teaspoon of treacle (I think that's molasses in the US). Sometimes I add a few sultanas at the start as they get super plump and juicy as it cooks, and add some natural sweetness.
  • goingtobefit2015
    goingtobefit2015 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I now eat the Steel Cut Oatmeal...I cook up all my servings at the beginning of the week. I choose one of the following to add to my bowl, blueberries, bananas, walnuts.
  • berz82
    berz82 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    stay awayfrom flavored oats in those sachets stick to plain and add your own flavorings
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    berz82 wrote: »
    stay awayfrom flavored oats in those sachets stick to plain and add your own flavorings

Yeah they're not filling at all for the calories, but once in a while, sure. I typically add a bit of extra oats to make them less sweets and more filling.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Well Check out the Oatmeal Artist.

I just posted in another threat that I am rotating between PB oatmeal and Runny eggs over oatmeal with bacon. I make my oatmeal with water. And for the PB, I add 1 tbs brown sugar.

I know the egg one sounds gross but I love it! Especially with cracked black pepper and salt!
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    what ya'll put in your oats to get them oh so yummy and still keep it on the healthy side. :)
    • Pumpkin pie spice (and pecans)
    • Apples (and pecans)
    • Pecans (and pecans)

• lisafrancis888
    lisafrancis888 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Leana088 wrote: »
    Vanilla, cinnamon, and a few raisins/fruit/a few tablespoons of muesli.

I also make overnight oatmeal. I mix oats with flavoured yoghurt, some fat free milk, and top with fresh fruit in the morning. (That's my summer oatmeal because it sits in the fridge overnight)

Sorry to be so thick but do you mean the oats just sit in the liquid and at no stage do you heat it up? That sounds so easy. As you can gather I'm not much of a cook :(
    Do you then eat it cold or would it be possible to warm up in the morning?
    Trying to get healthier.. I simply use one of those pot oats that you add hot water to at the moment which I know aren't that healthŷ.
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My daughter is 4 and will choose oatmeal over anything including dessert. I made it for her last week and she was poking at it. I asked her how it was and she said "not as good as mommies but its ok daddy you'll learn" hahaha just had to share that.

Her favorite is with honey and cinnamon or with a mix of berries and honey.
  • carolynmo1969
    carolynmo1969 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Plain oatmeal with almonds and dried cranberries. Or 1/8 c of "Central Roast" Woman's Vitality Mix - a blend of nuts and dried fruits and chocolate chips
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Puréed sweet potato with some raisins and cinnamon. Love it!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    jc93230 wrote: »
    spickard34 wrote: »
    I use plain oats and add in Avocado and Peanut Butter!

I have to try this!

exactly what I was thinking! ;)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Just with salt and a little brown sugar or maple syrup, mostly. I like it just barely sweet.

I also like it cooked with apple, brown sugar and cinnamon. Again, just barely sweet.

However, I did get Jeni's Honey Butterscotch Sauce, and I found that while I don't like it with sweet stuff like ice cream, a drizzle is pretty rockin' with cheese and fruit and a sprinkle of sea salt. I'm thinking it would be pretty great in oatmeal, too.

ETA: Steel cut or rolled oats only. No instant, no way, no how.
  • mzjenn2u
    mzjenn2u Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I either do plain oatmeal with fresh strawberries and a bit of vanilla greek yogurt OR I do plain oatmeal with a little light butter and sugar free syrup....both super good
  • P0PTART
    P0PTART Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    When you mix in protein powders, how do you keep the powder from turning lumpy? I have whey protein powder & every time I try to add it to something warm, it gets very funky lumpy.
  • sebenza512
    sebenza512 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal and have a ton of overnight oatmeal recipes.

1. Rolled oats, reduced fat milk, a couple of tablespoons of pureed pumpkin and a good couple of shakes of pumpkin pie spice. Yummy and it lights up you house.

2. Rolled oats, coconut milk (the stuff from the fridge), dried fruit, garam masala. Yummy!
  • MartialPanda
    MartialPanda Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I FREAKING love oatmeal. However as other people have said. Stay away from packets.

1. rolled oats ---Water! cinnamon, and berries of your choice
    2. rolled oats ---vanilla protein powder --> walnuts --> little bit of honey
    3. overnight oats -->coconut, chia, vanilla, oats --> little bit of honey
    4. rolled oats --> dark chocolate chips and water
    5. also making oatmeal bars are super easy
  • MartialPanda
    MartialPanda Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    P0PTART wrote: »
    When you mix in protein powders, how do you keep the powder from turning lumpy? I have whey protein powder & every time I try to add it to something warm, it gets very funky lumpy.

You have to make sure there is enough water. I make sure both dry ingredients (oats and protein) are in there. Put water and make sure everything is dissolved. Only then do i microwave it. You have to make sure you stir it though. Add some honey once it's done to smoothen it out.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Funny thing I was going to start an Oatmeal thread this morning and came across this one! YAY :)

OK, here's a question for you Oatmeal lovers... how are you measuring out your dry oats?

I currently have a container of Old Fashioned Oats, so what I've been doing is taking a 1/2c measuring cup and going that route. Then I add in 1c water and pop it in the microwave for 2:30 seconds (that way it never spills over the sides UGH).

So up until about a week ago it never occurred to me I was even measuring them wrong..I was going by the quickest route.

So one day I measured out my 1/2c oats and did the tare thing with my container and dumped them in. uh oh Not good... turns out 1/8c over when I weigh them compared to measuring them in the cup.

So now I know and frankly I have no clue why I even was measuring them as I always weigh solids. SO now every morning I have to weigh them out... I'm trying to think of some simple method to pre-weigh portions and have them ready.

What's everyone else doing? Are you all weighing your Oats?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    P0PTART wrote: »

I add it at the end of the cooking process (I cook my oatmeal in a rice cooker) with a little bit of extra water (heated). It blends really easily. Maybe it's just different brands--I've used Jay Robb and whatever the TJ store brand is (which I don't like as much).